ADVERTISEMENT

taking a knee - backfire

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
They will get booed like crazy, most fans will not like it at all. If I were KF I would not allow it. It's stupid to kneel, it's causes more problems than it's supposed to solve. I don't really know what they are trying to solve anyway actually.

They will get booed like crazy, most fans will not like it at all. If I were KF I would not allow it. It's stupid to kneel, it's causes more problems than it's supposed to solve. I don't really know what they are trying to solve anyway actually.
I don't like it either but can you imagine the blowback Kirk and the program would receive if he were to NOT allow kneeling? In this day and age?? Iowa would be crucified.

Drew Brees couldn't "stand" with his statement about supporting the flag / not kneeling for more than a day or so....

Apparently some of you haven't heard about this thing called the First Amendment. Look it up. It's pretty cool. But the gist of it is that, as Americans, we have the right to free expression, as long as that expression doesn't put others in physical jeopardy.

So that means you can kneel as the National Anthem is played if you want to. Anyone who boos that is booing the First Amendment. Anyone who objects to the right for people to kneel is offending anyone who ever fought for this country because the only reason to fight is to protect our rights under the Constitution.

I'm disappointed in no fall football in Iowa City in part because it deprives me of the right to publicly express my extreme dissatisfaction with this country in general and racism in particular by kneeling--or at least not standing--for the National Anthem.

The First Amendment right to free expression (and a free press, BTW) is as fundamental and patriotic as it gets.

You don't have to like opinions different from yours, and you can express your opinion of kneeling by booing if you want. That's your right. You clearly have the right to be stupid, asinine, ignorant, and unpatriotic.

Or, as the French philosopher Voltaire allegedly put it about 250 years ago, "I may disagree with what you say (or do), but I will defend to the death your right to say it (or do it)."

That's what the First Amendment right to free speech is all about. If you don't respect that, you are no patriot.

Apparently some of you haven't heard about this thing called the First Amendment. Look it up. It's pretty cool. But the gist of it is that, as Americans, we have the right to free expression, as long as that expression doesn't put others in physical jeopardy.

So that means you can kneel as the National Anthem is played if you want to. Anyone who boos that is booing the First Amendment. Anyone who objects to the right for people to kneel is offending anyone who ever fought for this country because the only reason to fight is to protect our rights under the Constitution.

I'm disappointed in no fall football in Iowa City in part because it deprives me of the right to publicly express my extreme dissatisfaction with this country in general and racism in particular by kneeling--or at least not standing--for the National Anthem.

The First Amendment right to free expression (and a free press, BTW) is as fundamental and patriotic as it gets.

You don't have to like opinions different from yours, and you can express your opinion of kneeling by booing if you want. That's your right. You clearly have the right to be stupid, asinine, ignorant, and unpatriotic.

Or, as the French philosopher Voltaire allegedly put it about 250 years ago, "I may disagree with what you say (or do), but I will defend to the death your right to say it (or do it)."

That's what the First Amendment right to free speech is all about. If you don't respect that, you are no patriot.
So much wrong with this it’s hard to figure out where to begin explaining your completely stupid response. I just start and end with this:
“So that means you can kneel as the National Anthem is played if you want to. Anyone who boos that is booing the First Amendment.“​
Or those people who boo have a right to boo from that very same right because they think what they’re doing is, although legal, stupid and offensive. Just as I think it’s stupid and offend to call your mom a “dirty whore c&@$” but that same amendment gives people the right to do so. And guess what, they would probably catch some lash back from it. Are people who lash out at someone for calling your mom a “dirty whore c&@$” lashing out at the 1A or the act itself?

I just wasted 30 seconds of my life replying to your stupid post and stupid awful ignorant opinion.

I think people need to get over it.

I'm more concerned about rioters burning the flag or burning down businesses or looting or destroying property. Taking a knee? Pffft. Big whoop. It was a Green Beret who had suggested it in the first place.

To be fair, the Green Beret only suggested it to Kaep because he thought it was a little more respectful than what Kaep had been doing (sitting).

AristotleIowa
The reason you are disappointed there is no football is because you are deprived the right to show your dissatisfaction of America. Wow! How do you get thru the day. We all have problems with our government for one thing or another. Football and other entertainment is our way of forgetting all that shit. But no we have nutjobs like you that treat politics like religion and bring into every damn thing in life including a football game. The flag is not governments it is the people’s flag. It is a small way we that all of us stand together regardless of are problems with the government and honor those that have fought and protected those rights you talk about. Then we all get to enjoy the game

I think people need to get over it.

I'm more concerned about rioters burning the flag or burning down businesses or looting or destroying property. Taking a knee? Pffft. Big whoop. It was a Green Beret who had suggested it in the first place.
SMH.

Utter nonsense. The part about having the right to express your opinion is correct. The implication that you have the right to do so without being criticized for it is the point here, and it's wacko.

Utter nonsense. The part about having the right to express your opinion is correct. The implication that you have the right to do so without being criticized for it is the point here, and it's wacko.
Your implication meter is broke.

Why do people get upset at those who disagree with kneeling? The purpose of kneeling during the national anthem is to be controversial and make people angry so they talk about it. And thus, making people angry is the goal of the act. Otherwise, they'd choose a less controversial setting to speak out/kneel/etc. to work to advance the cause.

I shouldn't have said implication. He doesn't imply it. He flat out states it when he says criticizing the player who takes a knee is criticizing the First Amendment.

Thanks for pointing out my error.
You’re wrong. Again.

So, where you been hiding, old chum? I haven't seen you on the OT board in quite some time. Is it getting too woke for you? We could use the presence and voice of reason of a crusty, coma-thinking Boomer such as yourself.

Oh, and it absolutely astounds me that anyone has to point out that the non-woke folk have a constitutionally guaranteed right to express a nuanced or even completely different opinion, and yet here we are.

So, where you been hiding, old chum? I haven't seen you on the OT board in quite some time. Is it getting too woke for you? We could use the presence and voice of reason of a crusty, coma-thinking Boomer such as yourself.

Oh, and it absolutely astounds me that anyone has to point out that the non-woke folk have a constitutionally guaranteed right to express a nuanced or even completely different opinion, and yet here we are.
Lol.

Hi, guy.

You probably know why I'm sheltering from HROT. Let's just say I finally decided it wasn't possible to have an exchange of views, as one or more of the usual suspects hijack every thread and we make the same arguments. Life is better now.

I miss the occasional interaction with posters such as yourself, of course. Not to mention the movie and TV reviews and titty pictures.

This isn’t just a street-level issue. Drives me crazy that all this focus goes almost entirely to the stuff we see on the surface.

Because it matters, Rudy. The essence of our democracy demands disagreement and debate be conducted lawfully and with integrity. Anyone who cares about civility and freedom should denounce the bad behavior of people looking to undermine what makes America America.

I agree most people, left or right, are demonstrating lawfully and peacefully. But if you expect the right to call out extremist right-wing groups shooting up synagogues or marching in the streets chanting "Jews will not replace us!" then you need to call out the radical left and ANTIFA folks causing problems. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Hi, guy.

You probably know why I'm sheltering from HROT. Let's just say I finally decided it wasn't possible to have an exchange of views, as one or more of the usual suspects hijack every thread and we make the same arguments. Life is better now.

I miss the occasional interaction with posters such as yourself, of course. Not to mention the movie and TV reviews and titty pictures.

The titty pics are becoming scarce, sadly. The "Biden has dementia" and FBNBB4LIFE's "Tolerant Left Folks" threads are just as prevalent as the "F*** Trump" ones.

You haven't missed much.

Reactions: Hammer93
Because it matters, Rudy. The essence of our democracy demands disagreement and debate be conducted lawfully and with integrity. Anyone who cares about civility and freedom should denounce the bad behavior of people looking to undermine what makes America America.

I agree most people, left or right, are demonstrating lawfully and peacefully. But if you expect the right to call out extremist right-wing groups shooting up synagogues or marching in the streets chanting "Jews will not replace us!" then you need to call out the radical left and ANTIFA folks causing problems. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
You’re so off track.

Hi, guy.

Lol. You’re just blanketing your pride.

I would expect their relationship with the military to come to an end. Presently there is a lot done in the way of honoring veterans at Iowa football games. I imagine that those military vets would be extremely pissed off.
Except the vets that understand kneeling in attention isn’t disrespectful, and that players are not protesting the military. But yes, I imagine some vets and non vets will be pissed.

Reactions: littlez
Why do people get upset at those who disagree with kneeling? The purpose of kneeling during the national anthem is to be controversial and make people angry so they talk about it. And thus, making people angry is the goal of the act. Otherwise, they'd choose a less controversial setting to speak out/kneel/etc. to work to advance the cause.
maybe they should do just that. Pissing people off is not helping your cause it only helps them not not care about your cause.

Read his post again, carefully. He actually defends people’s right to criticize. The only important “implication” is that booing kneeling is, at least inferentially, booing free speech, specifically of the protest sort.

I shouldn't have said implication. He doesn't imply it. He flat out states it when he says criticizing the player who takes a knee is criticizing the First Amendment.

Thanks for pointing out my error.
Hopefully the breadth of your misinterpretation is becoming clear, now.

maybe they should do just that. Pissing people off is not helping your cause it only helps them not not care about your cause.
I agree with you. It seems the kneelers are being manipulated to do an act that is intentionally divisive - and thus their cause gets drowned out and it becomes more about the flag.

The other thing I question is choosing this scenario and manner to promote the purported cause. The cause itself is something that doesn't have a specific, measurable goal. If the goal was voting rights for a class of people or free college - those things are identifiable and it's possible to know when achieved. But with this cause, when exactly will athletes be able to stop kneeling? How will we all know it's been achieved? It's not really measurable.

Last edited:
The titty pics are becoming scarce, sadly. The "Biden has dementia" and FBNBB4LIFE's "Tolerant Left Folks" threads are just as prevalent as the "F*** Trump" ones.

You haven't missed much.
Yeah, and it's starting in this thread. Not going to encourage it.

ADVERTISEMENT