ADVERTISEMENT

Taking dogs everywhere you go

Feb 9, 2013
Dogs in Home Depot, airplanes, even in a movie theater…thought I’d seen it all. But tonight I was sitting eating dinner with the kids and some friends and in walked a woman with a little yapper dog strapped to her chest in a Baby Bjorn-type carrier. She sat down at her table and the dog was on her chest facing the table. I left before she got her meal so not sure if she planned to feed the dog while she was eating.

What the hell? I love dogs, but how about some boundaries?

What’s the strangest place you’ve come across someone bringing a pet along?

That's somebody's completely necessary emotional support animal that gives her the strength to be able to eat

The strangest version I've seen of people taking their pets everywhere is the couple that walks by my house and taps on the window until one of my dogs will come say hi to the cat that they push around the neighborhood in a baby stroller. They don't strike me as crazy in their appearance and if you were walking behind them, you would think they had a newborn.....but it's a cat strapped in and laying on its back.

I also saw somebody walking their taxidermied dog in a park about a month ago at the end of some kind of hardened leash. She tried introducing it to one of my dogs and this thing was no manufactured stuffed animal.

That's somebody's completely necessary emotional support animal that gives her the strength to be able to eat

The strangest version I've seen of people taking their pets everywhere is the couple that walks by my house and taps on the window until one of my dogs will come say hi to the cat that they push around the neighborhood in a baby stroller. They don't strike me as crazy in their appearance and if you were walking behind them, you would think they had a newborn.....but it's a cat strapped in and laying on its back.

I also saw somebody walking their taxidermied dog in a park about a month ago at the end of some kind of hardened leash. She tried introducing it to one of my dogs and this thing was no manufactured stuffed animal.
Again, something we Gen Xers didn’t need.

Explosion of "support dog" traveling this past weekend. I wonder how they get past airline policy.

Explosion of "support dog" traveling this past weekend. I wonder how they get past airline policy.
Typical policy for support animals is that you can only ask the owner if it is a support animal. If they say yes .. conversation over. It's crazy stupid.

Some lady had one in the stands at a playoff game yesterday. Just stay home you goddamned weirdo.

If there's any time when you need your support animal, it's when your favorite team loses the big game.

Why do you have so little compassion, dude?

What gets me is seeing someone driving (well, trying to drive) while holding their dog in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. Like, why? Everyone else has to be buckled up, why not Fido?

Oh, and having a “support” animal is just weird. My opinion.

I hope to Christ you’re making this up.

Eyeball 9 news just had a story where a Pitbull owner was denied bringing the animal on an airplane. He evidently just tied it up in the parking lot and got on the plane. He likely had a drug rendezvous at a set time he couldn't miss...

my dog doesn’t go many places with me. But she is moving to Omaha!!! Come all to the move in party there will be whiskey and lots of sausage from whatever my brother killed recently.
possum1.jpg

Sounds great !

Typical policy for support animals is that you can only ask the owner if it is a support animal. If they say yes .. conversation over. It's crazy stupid.
Each airline has their own policy, but the FAA allowed airlines to clamp down on abuses a couple of years ago.

Here's a link to Delta's policy

https://www.delta.com/us/en/accessible-travel-services/service-animals

I seriously doubt Delta is enforcing the policy based on the dogs I saw in Atlanta Friday morning, and on the 2 flights I was on.

Delta also doesn't enforce exit row regulations such as not allowing passengers requiring seat extenders, and not allowing people who can't handle the exit row door. If you are a 5 feet nothing geriatric who can't lift a 20 lb roller bag into an overhead bin, I'm pretty sure you can't lift and move a 41 lb exit row door.

Reactions: globalhawk
Dogs in Home Depot, airplanes, even in a movie theater…thought I’d seen it all. But tonight I was sitting eating dinner with the kids and some friends and in walked a woman with a little yapper dog strapped to her chest in a Baby Bjorn-type carrier. She sat down at her table and the dog was on her chest facing the table. I left before she got her meal so not sure if she planned to feed the dog while she was eating.

Took our doodles to the Icestravaganza in downtown Davenport over the weekend. They were a huge hit and many, many people pet them.

10 out of 10 experience will do it again.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
I saw a lady with a puppy in a cart at Home Depot yesterday. She suddenly stopped the cart when she saw a lady with a pitbull on a leash in front of her. The pitbull was sitting in front of the cart, not moving, and staring at the puppy. It wasn't obvious if the pitbull was friendly or not.

I will admit to taking my dog with me in certain situations. We also have a pretty pet friendly office where we all take turns bringing our dogs in to work. I would never take my dog to a restaurant and rarely to a store unless it is PetSmart or something like that.

However, I love the NYC dogs in bags pictures when the subway made a rule that any dog on the train had to fit in a bag.

nyc-subway-dog3.jpg

nyc-subway-dog15.jpg

nyc-subway-dog20.jpg

Was talking to a friend who is a professor at Truman State. They have an entire dorm for students who must have emotional support animals. Not just dogs either. Animals like iguanas as well.

I think the emotional dog support pendulum swung pretty far and people (businesses, airlines, etc.) are fearful of retribution if they tell someone they can’t bring their pet that makes them feel good. All that has to happen is they tell the wrong person and it goes viral.

Note that I do think some service animals are legit like seeing eye dogs and seizure dogs. Seeing eyes dogs are obviously easier to spot, where as seizure animals are not.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I think the emotional dog support pendulum swung pretty far and people (businesses, airlines, etc.) are fearful of retribution if they tell someone they can’t bring their pet that makes them feel good. All that has to happen is they tell the wrong person and it goes viral.

Note that I do think some service animals are legit like seeing eye dogs and seizure dogs. Seeing eyes dogs are obviously easier to spot, where as seizure animals are not.
Agreed. ^^ My beef is when people use an untrained dog and call it a support animal. No...that's a pet...and it really hasn't been trained to be out in public, etc, so don't bring it in the store where it is a potential threat to a small child, etc.

I witnessed this just this past Saturday. I had my 2-1/2 year old grandson with me and we came around a corner in a store and there was a lady and her dog at very close range, cool. Except that the dog was wimpering, crying and acting up. The lady was trying to calm it, etc, and she instantly made some excuse about the dog being scared, etc.

OK, no trained service animal that I have ever seen behaved like that. If that dog had done something to attack or threaten my grandson then there would have been a news story when I beat one, or both of them, to death right there in the aisle. In retrospect, I should have brought this to the attention of the store management...I might just stop by there today to do so, come to think of it.

Agreed. ^^ My beef is when people use an untrained dog and call it a support animal. No...that's a pet...and it really hasn't been trained to be out in public, etc, so don't bring it in the store where it is a potential threat to a small child, etc.

I witnessed this just this past Saturday. I had my 2-1/2 year old grandson with me and we came around a corner in a store and there was a lady and her dog at very close range, cool. Except that the dog was wimpering, crying and acting up. The lady was trying to calm it, etc, and she instantly made some excuse about the dog being scared, etc.

OK, no trained service animal that I have ever seen behaved like that. If that dog had done something to attack or threaten my grandson then there would have been a news story when I beat one, or both of them, to death right there in the aisle. In retrospect, I should have brought this to the attention of the store management...I might just stop by there today to do so, come to think of it.
IF you had complained, even in the most respectful way, someone would have labeled you as a Karen. Such is the woke world we live in.

IF you had complained, even in the most respectful way, someone would have labeled you as a Karen. Such is the woke world we live in.
He is a Karen. The dog was crying and whimpering and he 1. Threatened to beat it to death if he perceived it as a threat and 2. Is considering making a special trip 24 hours after absolutely nothing happened to complain to management about someone else’s business.

That is textbook Karen behavior.

He is a Karen. The dog was crying and whimpering and he 1. Threatened to beat it to death if he perceived it as a threat and 2. Is considering making a special trip 24 hours after absolutely nothing happened to complain to management about someone else’s business.

That is textbook Karen behavior.
LOL...you are such a sly guy. I said I would beat it to death..."If that dog had done something to attack or threaten my grandson...". So, NOT what you wrote above, but as a newspaper guy, I really am not surprised that you didn't, or couldn't, grasp that and came up with your own version.

That dog was NOT a service animal and the owner didn't have control of it and yet she took it into a store, a public area, where she too was surprised by how it behaved. She said that out loud, that she was surprised by how it reacted.

That it was mostly a scared reaction was fortunate. She also, demonstrating her lack of control and/or confidence over the animal, knelt down quickly to "corral" the dog. I can't say that the dog would have done something aggressive there or not...but she really wasn't sure what its reaction would be to a small child...in a public space. That is irresponsible. It's unfortunate that you can't digest that.

LOL...you are such a sly guy. I said I would beat it to death..."If that dog had done something to attack or threaten my grandson...". So, NOT what you wrote above, but as a newspaper guy, I really am not surprised that you didn't, or couldn't, grasp that and came up with your own version.

That dog was NOT a service animal and the owner didn't have control of it and yet she took it into a store, a public area, where she too was surprised by how it behaved. She said that out loud, that she was surprised by how it reacted.

That it was mostly a scared reaction was fortunate. She also, demonstrating her lack of control and/or confidence over the animal, knelt down quickly to "corral" the dog. I can't say that the dog would have done something aggressive there or not...but she really wasn't sure what its reaction would be to a small child...in a public space. That is irresponsible. It's unfortunate that you can't digest that.
I actually agree it is irresponsible to take a scared, not properly trained dog into a place of business.

I also know a cranky old Karen when I see one.

You and the dog lady are both lame.

I'll take my fur-babies anywhere I go!!
They love trips to the dentist, toothbrushes are their favorite toy.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee

Do u live near a long term mental health facility? That is nutty.

When traveling, we leave the dogs at home but I cannot fly without my emotional support turkey.

7hmsbw1.jpg

Who do I talk to about taking my emotional support bar cart everywhere I go? The emotional support hip flask just ain't cutting it anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT