ADVERTISEMENT

Talent returning next year

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
It's at this time of year that I start thinking about a bowl game and how that's good for this developmental program....and what this team might look like next year:

Here are players who I think are stars or destined to be stars...up and comers, etc: This is assuming these guys are all back:

Defense:

Cooper D
Van Ness
Graves
Xavier N
Jestin J
Craig
Hall

Higgins
Black
Hurkett
Pittman
This isn't even mentioning guys like Logan Lee and Castro........then hopefully the return of J Harris and Terry Roberts?

I'm certain there are others that will fill in the two deeps on defense....but I really think that guys like Cooper, Van Ness, and Graves will be all conference level talent and more....then several other players have the ability to jump up to that level.

Offense:

Kaleb J
Keagan J
Mason R.
Diante Vines
Lachey
Brecht

A Bruce
L Williams
G Williams

Last but not least, I know this opinion differs from many others, but I still believe that this young offensive line has the physical talent to be somewhere between competent and very good....if everyone returns and progresses and IF we keep Proctor I think we can have a decent offense.....BUT QB is the big question at this point right?

Last edited:
It's at this time of year that I start thinking about a bowl game and how that's good for this developmental program....and what this team might look like next year:

Here are players who I think are stars or destined to be stars...up and comers: This is assuming these guys are all back:

Defense:

Cooper D
Van Ness
Graves
Xavier N
Jestin J
Craig
Hall

Higgins
Black
Hurkett
Pittman
This isn't even mentioning guys like Logan Lee and Castro........then hopefully the return of J Harris and Terry Roberts?

I'm certain their are others that will fill in the two deeps on defense....but I really think that guys like Cooper, Van Ness, and Graves will be all conference level talent and more....then several other players have the ability to jump up to that level.

Offense:

Kaleb J
Keagan J
Mason R.
Diante Vines
Lachey
Brecht

A Bruce
L Williams
G Williams

Last but not least, I know this opinion differs from many others, but I still believe that this young offensive line has the physical talent to be somewhere between competent and very good....if everyone returns and progresses and IF we keep Proctor I think we can have a decent offense.....BUT QB is the big question at this point right?
Too many questions on offense to even guess who's going to even be around, including the staff.

Here are players who I think are stars or destined to be stars...up and comers: This is assuming these guys are all back:

Defense:

Cooper D
Van Ness
Graves
Xavier N
Jestin J
Craig
Hall

Higgins
Black
Hurkett
Pittman

I'm certain their are others that will fill in the two deeps on defense....but I really think that guys like Cooper, Van Ness, and Graves will be all conference level talent and more....then several other players have the ability to jump up to that level.

Offense:

Kaleb J
Keagan J
Mason R.
Diante Vines
Lachey
Brecht

A Bruce
L Williams
G Williams

What concerns me on the OL is that Colby and Richman have played a lot now (nearly 2 full years of starting) and the level of mistakes is shocking. Jones has started 10 games at center and the snaps under center are still a massive problem. At some point, some of the basic mistakes have to end. I don't know what the answer is, I'm not a OL coach. Wisconsin did blitz, yes, but they also got multiple sacks when rushing 3 guys. That can't happen.

What concerns me on the OL is that Colby and Richman have played a lot now (nearly 2 full years of starting) and the level of mistakes is shocking. Jones has started 10 games at center and the snaps under center are still a massive problem. At some point, some of the basic mistakes have to end. I don't know what the answer is, I'm not a OL coach. Wisconsin did blitz, yes, but they also got multiple sacks when rushing 3 guys. That can't happen.
That's on Barnett. In the history of Iowa football since Kirk has taken over outside of QB we've never seen a certain position group take a step back like the oline has. I'm baffled with his resume that they have been so bad. In my opinion he has to go if we ever want to see #2's true potential. Put BF on that group and hire a real OC and QB coach.

Here are players who I think are stars or destined to be stars...up and comers, etc: This is assuming these guys are all back:

Defense:

Cooper D
Van Ness
Graves
Xavier N
Jestin J
Craig
Hall

Higgins
Black
Hurkett
Pittman

I'm certain there are others that will fill in the two deeps on defense....but I really think that guys like Cooper, Van Ness, and Graves will be all conference level talent and more....then several other players have the ability to jump up to that level.

Offense:

Kaleb J
Keagan J
Mason R.
Diante Vines
Lachey
Brecht

A Bruce
L Williams
G Williams

Another cupcake schedule. Thanks Barta, yes thanks Barta. But still four or five losses, mid-season rival, vs bad Big 10 west teams, to get everyone hopes up. Some toilet bowl, no one cares about and only hawk fans attend.
Rinse and repeat.

Defense:

Cooper D
Van Ness
Graves
Xavier N
Jestin J
Craig
Hall

Higgins
Black
Hurkett
Pittman

Offense:

Kaleb J
Keagan J
Mason R.
Diante Vines
Lachey
Brecht

A Bruce
L Williams
G Williams

Too many questions on offense to even guess who's going to even be around, including the staff.
Agreed. On paper there’s a good amount of talent returning on offense, at least based on recruiting rankings. But there’s a clear divide between either players simply not buying what coaches like Barnett are selling, simple recruiting misses, schematic issues or a combination of all 3 on the line.
at the skill positions, clearly help is needed from the portal, but also scheme/coaching as well.

the right changes and the change next year could be night and day. Minor tweaks and adjustments won’t do it.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Another cupcake schedule. Thanks Barta, yes thanks Barta. But still four or five losses, mid-season rival, vs bad Big 10 west teams, to get everyone hopes up. Some toilet bowl, no one cares about and only hawk fans attend.
Rinse and repeat.
Why the butt hurt? I think OSU or Michigan could use some more bandwagon fans, jump aboard so you never have to bitch on this board again.

Not going to matter much if Brian is still around. That receiving group simply isn’t talented enough, and qb and the O line will once again be a huge issue. No way will Kirk use the portal like he should, and who knows how many guys will hit the portal from the offense. Defense will be good as always, but just a waste with the absolutely brutal offense.

• Haha
They are going to go to the transfer portal hard for offensive help, now the questions remains, who will be the OC, how much money can they stir up, and will any of them actually bite?
Yep. And it can’t be BF. It’s up to KF to do right by his team by supporting your Defense and Special Teams with a productive offense. He also has the onus have providing the Fans with something far better than he has put on the field the past 10 years.

• Haha
If Special P doesn't come back for his "Rona" year, who do we have at QB? Do they go to the portal? Do we hand over the most complicated offense in the sports history to a Freshman\Soph that has NEVER taken a game snap?

Reactions: sabula and littlez
I just don't understand the fascination with Richman. Absent substantial improvement, another year starting is downright depressing. For the record, I am a strong believer that college athletes can improve substantially over the course of a year...... I hope he does, but he is getting routinely owned.

Yeah...the o-line needs serious improvement. I haven't seen whiffs like this in years...honestly...even the 2012 line didn't miss people at this level. We just aren't tight in our zone scheme. Wisconsin is really well coached...I saw a few times where they took advantage of the center to guard gap in the inside zone. The defensive tackle sets up over the guard and when the zone step and move begins the tackle shoots the gap behind the guard's movement and blows up the play. Colby is supposed to ensure penetration doesn't happen or jones is supposed to get his head in front of the DT to slow him down. Neither come close.

Against Wisconsin especially...I'd love to see us just power block...everyone gets a man or maybe you double the point of attack...and just fire off and hit people. Our zone action against the good teams has just been blown up terribly.

Reactions: littlez
Yeah...the o-line needs serious improvement. I haven't seen whiffs like this in years...honestly...even the 2012 line didn't miss people at this level. We just aren't tight in our zone scheme. Wisconsin is really well coached...I saw a few times where they took advantage of the center to guard gap in the inside zone. The defensive tackle sets up over the guard and when the zone step and move begins the tackle shoots the gap behind the guard's movement and blows up the play. Colby is supposed to ensure penetration doesn't happen or jones is supposed to get his head in front of the DT to slow him down. Neither come close.

Against Wisconsin especially...I'd love to see us just power block...everyone gets a man or maybe you double the point of attack...and just fire off and hit people. Our zone action against the good teams has just been blown up terribly.
We did line up a FB late in the game and go right at them and actually have moderate success. You’re correct about the zone action. No idea how many tackles for loss there were on Saturday. And no, our running backs are not dancing. They’re waiting for a hole to develop and go. It just never happens.

Not going to matter much if Brian is still around. That receiving group simply isn’t talented enough, and qb and the O line will once again be a huge issue. No way will Kirk use the portal like he should, and who knows how many guys will hit the portal from the offense. Defense will be good as always, but just a waste with the absolutely brutal offense.
wah wah WAH

At this point idk what is is. Seems incredible that all of these guys - all of whom have solid offer lists as recruits, could ALL be suffering from the same issue.

Kirk seems equally perplexed. At least 3 different times he’s commented this season on the oline after a bad game and discussed how he’d thought they were improving, took a step back, etc.

I expected the offense to have a tougher time vs Wisconsin. Herbig turning both tackles into turnstiles was shocking.

All things considered I have to give props to Spencer for hanging in there despite constant pressure, and only the one turnover.

Reactions: BBHawk
At this point idk what is is. Seems incredible that all of these guys - all of whom have solid offer lists as recruits, could ALL be suffering from the same issue.

Kirk seems equally perplexed. At least 3 different times he’s commented this season on the oline after a bad game and discussed how he’d thought they were improving, took a step back, etc.

I expected the offense to have a tougher time vs Wisconsin. Herbig turning both tackles into turnstiles was shocking.

All things considered I have to give props to Spencer for hanging in there despite constant pressure, and only the one turnover.
I'm not sure how someone can still be shocked by how bad this oline is. It looked pretty much exactly the same in 5 other games this year vs SDS, ISU, Mich, Ill, and OSU. It's actually become a pleasant surprise on those rare occasions when they look somewhat capable out there.

I'm not sure how someone can still be shocked by how bad this oline is. It looked pretty much exactly the same in 5 other games this year vs SDS, ISU, Mich, Ill, and OSU. It's actually become a pleasant surprise on those rare occasions when they look somewhat capable out there.

What’s shocking to me is the apparent lack of development and/or inconsistency. You mentioned 5 games where they were bad. That means there were 5 games where they’ve been competent at least, and obviously quality of opponents is a big factor.

Remain surprised we haven’t seen Myslinksi in particular at center. The snapping issue has been a huge part of the struggles imo.

I expect we'll hear more of the "young o-line that will be good when they develop" line. That's been the off season go to for a while now without any payoff.

And even though reportedly Petras has said he won't be back, I'm not counting on that until he's actually no longer on the roster.

This all comes down to the Triangle of:
-O Line
-QB
-WR

This is probably the biggest "perfect storm" of struggles for each area in the same season.

O Line: I believe there HAS to be some improvement, but for there to be bigger improvements, there will need to be some fresh faces. Proctor (assuming he is still firmly committed, would of course bring a high ceiling and immediate size/athleticism). We should bring in at least one from the portal as well.

WR: The injuries and departures (this year and previous) really crushed us. Certainly some potential with KJ, Bruce, Vines and Brecht, but need more depth.

QB: This is the biggest wildcard. I guess I am fearful that if there was no once that could pass Petras then are all our hopes with Lainez? Hoping Labas might get a shot.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Rinse and repeat.

Let's wait and see about next year's record. The hawks could so easily be 8-2 this year, even with a crap offense. Two fumble plays that were reviewed go the other way and they are probably 8-2. And if BF could have just called a couple of good plays to get a few more field goals it could be 8-2.

Now next year, if the Oline is just average (I know that seems to be asking a lot) and we have better passing accuracy the offense will score more points. Stevens at kicker if he keeps his form will be huge from game 1.

The defense will still be very good but probably losing Campbell and Benson will be question marks.

So I think the hawks can win 8 to 10 games next year and get a good bowl. I just like to watch the hawks play an extra game late in the year.

Reactions: hawkhockey
I expect we'll hear more of the "young o-line that will be good when they develop" line. That's been the off season go to for a while now without any payoff.

And even though reportedly Petras has said he won't be back, I'm not counting on that until he's actually no longer on the roster.

we’ve typically been able to spot at least general improvements from the o line unit, if not the rapid upward trajectory we have seen before. Individual players especially you could typically spot the improvement during a season.

this year is the first time in years that I think we could honestly say the OL was either no better than the previous year, or arguably worse.

especially after the bowl game where they looked like they had taken steps forward…

we’ve typically been able to spot at least general improvements from the o line unit, if not the rapid upward trajectory we have seen before. Individual players especially you could typically spot the improvement during a season.

this year is the first time in years that I think we could honestly say the OL was either no better than the previous year, or arguably worse.

especially after the bowl game where they looked like they had taken steps forward…
It's worse because the center position is much worse than it was last year. The rest look pretty much the same.

Reactions: hawkhockey
It's worse because the center position is much worse than it was last year. The rest look pretty much the same.
I thought Colby and Richmond in particular did all right as RS/True Frosh last year all things considered. Both appear to have at best stayed flat on their development if not regressed. Richmond in particular it’s ridiculous how often he gets beat by simple moves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT