ADVERTISEMENT

Talent returning next year

I thought Colby and Richmond in particular did all right as RS/True Frosh last year all things considered. Both appear to have at best stayed flat on their development if not regressed. Richmond in particular it’s ridiculous how often he gets beat by simple moves.
Correct, although I think if you look at last year they all look pretty much the same against stout competition. The rationale for looking beyond those issues was they were young and that the only cure was experience. Nearly a full year later and at this point you have to assume that, given the lack of development of not just these 2 but DeJong and Plumb as well, either the talent isn't there or the coaching isn't there. I suppose most likely it's a combination of both, but I'm not smart enough to know which is true. I only see the same results everyone else is seeing.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Correct, although I think if you look at last year they all look pretty much the same against stout competition. The rationale for looking beyond those issues was they were young and that the only cure was experience. Nearly a full year later and at this point you have to assume that, given the lack of development of not just these 2 but DeJong and Plumb as well, either the talent isn't there or the coaching isn't there. I suppose most likely it's a combination of both, but I'm not smart enough to know which is true. I only see the same results everyone else is seeing.

Agreed. I lean towards more coaching than talent though. It seems impossible to have missed on so many guys all at once, and it’s not like these were lightly recruited guys!

Reactions: littlez
There currently isn't one guy on this OLine that looks like they could play on any offense deemed "average", imo.

As mentioned, it's difficult to prove that Colby or Richman have improved from last year. And we know Plumb and DeJong never even had potential to get better.

Another cupcake schedule. Thanks Barta, yes thanks Barta. But still four or five losses, mid-season rival, vs bad Big 10 west teams, to get everyone hopes up. Some toilet bowl, no one cares about and only hawk fans attend.
Rinse and repeat.

Wow, why be a fan and I don’t mean of Iowa, I mean period. Hell it doesn’t sound to me like there is a team out there than wins enough for you. Why put yourself through it?

Honestly, it could be they just aren’t ready and maybe the light will turn on and maybe not. With that said the center has truly been a train wreck and apparently we don’t have anyone better!

It's at this time of year that I start thinking about a bowl game and how that's good for this developmental program....and what this team might look like next year:

Here are players who I think are stars or destined to be stars...up and comers, etc: This is assuming these guys are all back:

Defense:

Cooper D
Van Ness
Graves
Xavier N
Jestin J
Craig
Hall

Higgins
Black
Hurkett
Pittman
This isn't even mentioning guys like Logan Lee and Castro........then hopefully the return of J Harris and Terry Roberts?

I'm certain there are others that will fill in the two deeps on defense....but I really think that guys like Cooper, Van Ness, and Graves will be all conference level talent and more....then several other players have the ability to jump up to that level.

Offense:

Kaleb J
Keagan J
Mason R.
Diante Vines
Lachey
Brecht

A Bruce
L Williams
G Williams

Last but not least, I know this opinion differs from many others, but I still believe that this young offensive line has the physical talent to be somewhere between competent and very good....if everyone returns and progresses and IF we keep Proctor I think we can have a decent offense.....BUT QB is the big question at this point right?

The biggest question marks are gonna be on offense, starting at QB.

SP is likely done. Padilla probably is not back. Hopefully Joe Labas finally gets his shot (Ricky Stanzi loves the kid).

Reactions: sober_teacher
Honestly, it could be they just aren’t ready and maybe the light will turn on and maybe not. With that said the center has truly been a train wreck and apparently we don’t have anyone better!

Which is weird to me because Myslinski was recruited as a center. Was injured in august but supposedly healthy now. If that’s correct I don’t get why we haven’t seen him.

That's on Barnett. In the history of Iowa football since Kirk has taken over outside of QB we've never seen a certain position group take a step back like the oline has. I'm baffled with his resume that they have been so bad. In my opinion he has to go if we ever want to see #2's true potential. Put BF on that group and hire a real OC and QB coach.

I think the OL issues have more to do with lack of talent than coaching.

Barnett did not recruit any of the current starters. He's dealing with the hand he's been dealt.

Regarding the question on whether Barnett coaches the way that Iowa needs to have OL play coached, I think KF still oversees the OL more than anything else. From KF's public comments, he's come out & stated that he's happy with Barnett's coaching. If KF wasn't happy, he could have beaten around the bush when asked about Barnett and not brought Barnett up by name and simply said that "we need to get better."

I think the OL issues have more to do with lack of talent than coaching.

Barnett did not recruit any of the current starters. He's dealing with the hand he's been dealt.

Regarding the question on whether Barnett coaches the way that Iowa needs to have OL play coached, I think KF still oversees the OL more than anything else. From KF's public comments, he's come out & stated that he's happy with Barnett's coaching. If KF wasn't happy, he could have beaten around the bush when asked about Barnett and not brought Barnett up by name and simply said that "we need to get better."

I have a difficult time we whiffed so completely on OL recruits. Not just one or two classes, but possibly as many as all 5 currently on the roster.

Especially with no visible improvement from any of them consistently.

I have a difficult time we whiffed so completely on OL recruits. Not just one or two classes, but possibly as many as all 5 currently on the roster.

I honestly don't think it's physical talent....I think these guys are big enough, strong enough, and quick enough to get the job done.

My wild ass guess is that there is some sort of disconnect with the teaching and understanding of the assignments and system.

As Franisdaman stated.....Kirk has said things like, "GB is an excellent teach, a very good coach."........so I don't know, very frustrating.

I am just going off KF's comments on Barnett. And you know KF has been overseeing the OL in practice since (1) that's his area of expertise and (2) that's our biggest issue.

I just think the offensive linemen are getting coached by Barnett & KF but simply aren't good at what they are needed to do.

But, who knows. We all have our opinions on what we are seeing. ;)

Don't forget, Petras has his Rona year!!!!!!!!!
no-michael-scott.gif

This all comes down to the Triangle of:

-O Line
-QB
-WR

This is probably the biggest "perfect storm" of struggles for each area in the same season.

O Line: I believe there HAS to be some improvement, but for there to be bigger improvements, there will need to be some fresh faces. Proctor (assuming he is still firmly committed, would of course bring a high ceiling and immediate size/athleticism). We should bring in at least one from the portal as well.

WR: The injuries and departures (this year and previous) really crushed us. Certainly some potential with KJ, Bruce, Vines and Brecht, but need more depth.

QB: This is the biggest wildcard. I guess I am fearful that if there was no once that could pass Petras then are all our hopes with Lainez? Hoping Labas might get a shot.

The odds of KF playing a true Freshman at QB as starter are close to zero---so to me that means it is either Padillo, May, or Labas as QB next year. Heaven help us if Petras returned and started.

Usually if an underclass QB is being groomed to start, he is #2....With Padillo seemingly the #2, it doesn't seem like Labas or May have flashed enough to be starter next year

I don't follow recruiting rankings, but I would find it hard to believe that Plumb, Dejong, or Mason Richman were highly rated offensive tackle recruits. Certainly they weren't rated as high as Bulaga or Wirfs. I don't see much athleticism in the tackle group and that doesn't improve with experience/years. Colby clearly is too slow to play OT.

Kadyn Proctor would be a huge get..without any help on OL and QB through Portal or true freshman starting, I would think that next year is another 100+ ranked scoring offense.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
The odds of KF playing a true Freshman at QB as starter are close to zero---so to me that means it is either Padillo, May, or Labas as QB next year. Heaven help us if Petras returned and started.

Usually if an underclass QB is being groomed to start, he is #2....With Padillo seemingly the #2, it doesn't seem like Labas or May have flashed enough to be starter next year

I don't follow recruiting rankings, but I would find it hard to believe that Plumb, Dejong, or Mason Richman were highly rated offensive tackle recruits. Certainly they weren't rated as high as Bulaga or Wirfs. I don't see much athleticism in the tackle group and that doesn't improve with experience/years. Colby clearly is too slow to play OT.

Kadyn Proctor would be a huge get..without any help on OL and QB through Portal or true freshman starting, I would think that next year is another 100+ ranked scoring offense.

DeJong was a walk-on I believe. Pretty sure Plumb was a 3* but was always viewed as a project. Richmond was a 3* Recruit as well. Colby, Stephens, Dunker were all 4* recruits.

Almost forgot Davidkov, another 4* from the ‘21 class along with those other 3.

Reactions: perryhawk
NIL and the transfer portal has really taken the fun out of these threads. On paper, Iowa should be pretty good next year with the talent they have coming back but it is impossible to even predict because half the starters may leave for other teams.

But, let's pretend that doesn't happen. I think we will be similar to this year, at least record wise (or they could win 10 games again because they only play Penn State from the East next year). The defense should be good, but it won't be as good as this year without Campbell there. The offense should be better, except they will be breaking in a new QB and who knows who that will be? The offensive line should be better, but that doesn't mean it will be good. It's just the line is so bad this year it is impossible to get worse. Although, to be fair, the line has improved a bit over the season. I have no idea if that is because they are getting better or if it's because the competition isn't as good.

NIL and the transfer portal has really taken the fun out of these threads. On paper, Iowa should be pretty good next year with the talent they have coming back but it is impossible to even predict because half the starters may leave for other teams.

But, let's pretend that doesn't happen. I think we will be similar to this year, at least record wise (or they could win 10 games again because they only play Penn State from the East next year). The defense should be good, but it won't be as good as this year without Campbell there. The offense should be better, except they will be breaking in a new QB and who knows who that will be? The offensive line should be better, but that doesn't mean it will be good. It's just the line is so bad this year it is impossible to get worse. Although, to be fair, the line has improved a bit over the season. I have no idea if that is because they are getting better or if it's because the competition isn't as good.
Exaggerate much? We’re not losing a lot of guys to NIL.

Defense for the '23 season looks like it should be awfully strong.

I have no idea what to expect from the O. I expect that if the blocking can improve ... then the foundations could be there for some marked improvement.

Like many ... I hope to not see Brian and Petras leading the O next season.

I don't think that fans have been helping the cause of the O either - all the negativity only encourages the guys on O to question their coaching. When that happens ... when guys haven't "bought in" ... it's tough to build a good O.

How do we get a good portal qb when we can't guarantee much protection? Sell him on progress but that can be tough.

This all comes down to the Triangle of:
-O Line
-QB
-WR

This is probably the biggest "perfect storm" of struggles for each area in the same season.

O Line: I believe there HAS to be some improvement, but for there to be bigger improvements, there will need to be some fresh faces. Proctor (assuming he is still firmly committed, would of course bring a high ceiling and immediate size/athleticism). We should bring in at least one from the portal as well.

WR: The injuries and departures (this year and previous) really crushed us. Certainly some potential with KJ, Bruce, Vines and Brecht, but need more depth.

QB: This is the biggest wildcard. I guess I am fearful that if there was no once that could pass Petras then are all our hopes with Lainez? Hoping Labas might get a shot.
Explained well; similar to how I have felt about this season. I put QB as problem one because a really good and fairly mobile QB would make the OL and WR look better than they have.

I'll go out on a limb and say this is the year Ferentz lands a QB transfer from the portal who will come in and start next season. As others have mentioned, if Labas or May were impressing people, I think they would have jumped Padilla this season for the number 2 spot. I could see May needing another season of grooming and Labas transferring out if we land a portal qb that can start for a season or two. Chandler was that type of guy once upon a time. I also think we will see an olineman from a juco or the portal brought in. It wouldn't be the first time. If we recognize the weaknesses, the staff does too. They can't come out midseason and say "our players are awful and our future is hopeless" the way fans can on message boards.

I'll go out on a limb and say this is the year Ferentz lands a QB transfer from the portal who will come in and start next season. As others have mentioned, if Labas or May were impressing people, I think they would have jumped Padilla this season for the number 2 spot. I could see May needing another season of grooming and Labas transferring out if we land a portal qb that can start for a season or two. Chandler was that type of guy once upon a time. I also think we will see an olineman from a juco or the portal brought in. It wouldn't be the first time. If we recognize the weaknesses, the staff does too. They can't come out midseason and say "our players are awful and our future is hopeless" the way fans can on message boards.
One of the advantages of a bowl is that extra time for players to develop......if I'm anyone of the backup QB's and want to make a push to be the starter next year.....this is the time. Go into bowl prep and do EVERYTHING possible to put yourself in the discussion to be a starter for next year......use that time wisely.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life247
I feel reasonably confident Padilla won't be starting next year. I've heard from two different people (3rd hand info, take with a grain of salt) he's much more interested in med school than playing QB. His academic schedule conflicts with practice, and I'm guessing that's the source of all the "Petras looks better in practice" comments from Kirk and Brian.

Brian's honest comments about Labas lagging Petras and Padilla don't give me much hope there, but maybe he can take a leap forward in the spring.

Aside from landing a portal QB, I fear a Petras covid year might be the best available option. (I'll quickly add that I think Petras is serviceable *when given adequate protection*.)

Reactions: perryhawk
I feel reasonably confident Padilla won't be starting next year. I've heard from two different people (3rd hand info, take with a grain of salt) he's much more interested in med school than playing QB. His academic schedule conflicts with practice, and I'm guessing that's the source of all the "Petras looks better in practice" comments from Kirk and Brian.

Brian's honest comments about Labas lagging Petras and Padilla don't give me much hope there, but maybe he can take a leap forward in the spring.

Aside from landing a portal QB, I fear a Petras covid year might be the best available option. (I'll quickly add that I think Petras is serviceable *when given adequate protection*.)

Only question I have about Labas in-season, is how little he’s likely getting reps with first or second team. With rare exceptions, you don’t normally see a 3rd or 4th qb jump past other guys on the depth chart during season barring injuries.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
That was just one person's opinion. I haven't seen anyone else that has him close to a first rounder and I predict he'll be back.
I agree, VanNess would be better off coming back another year and try to cement that first round selection.

With Petras being a 3rd year starter I have very little faith in Kirk or Brian’s ability to gauge QB’s.

I still think that Labas will start next year and, in a good way, will make us forget the past 2 years' offenses. The line will have grown up and start playing as a unit.

😁
This actually the most likely scenario based on the KF era.

First, the scoring stat is always biased against the ground and pound offenses. The KF model, and it was the dominant model until the rules changes slanted heavily in favor of the passing offenses, will never produce a high scoring, yardage volume team. The team will always be built that way. Citing national scoring numbers is not helpful in evaluating Iowa's offense.

But...the dramatic decline from last season to this season cannot continue. When something cannot continue it does not continue. The coaches cannot be fully candid, there's a lot of politics in their jobs. You know that both KF and BF know this terrible offense cannot continue.

I only know a few people who get to see practices or parts of practices these days, but every one of them has said both Labas and May are more skilled and athletic than Padilla or Petras. But they also say that Spencer really looks much better in practice, and unsurprisingly very much in command of the offense. I think KF looks at the young guys and mostly just sees the mistakes while still looking for Spencer to play in games like he plays in practices. I think that is where risk aversion meets old man stubborn and KF is afraid to risk mistakes so he plays a guy that actually creates more big picture risk.

The line is more puzzling. The move to Logan Jones was perplexing and remains so. Myslinski was a highly recruited center, we stole him from Texas so I don't know why the summer experiment didn't end when Myslinksi was fully healthy (if he is). It would be hard to be a worse center than Jones. But Plumb is the only senior and he's the second worst lineman. Just don't see him as hard to replace. They will all be a year older and have substantial starting experience, individually and as a unit. So I think we upgrade the two worst positions on the offense.

Never get lost in moment. People were howling like scalded dogs for KFs head after 2013 and two years later the Hawks are 12-0. I said the Stanley bashers would miss him when he graduated. Spencer Petras will be forgotten by half time of the season opener.

I'll pass along a little extra I heard from those that have seen Carson May practice. Apparently, Carson doesn't fully follow the red jersey rules. The defenders will hit him and apparently Carson is not afraid to deliver a hit. Nothing brutal but Carson seems to enjoy banging around with defenders. Not sure if that's a good or bad QB trait but it sure is funny.​

This actually the most likely scenario based on the KF era.

First, the scoring stat is always biased against the ground and pound offenses. The KF model, and it was the dominant model until the rules changes slanted heavily in favor of the passing offenses, will never produce a high scoring, yardage volume team. The team will always be built that way. Citing national scoring numbers is not helpful in evaluating Iowa's offense.

But...the dramatic decline from last season to this season cannot continue. When something cannot continue it does not continue. The coaches cannot be fully candid, there's a lot of politics in their jobs. You know that both KF and BF know this terrible offense cannot continue.

I only know a few people who get to see practices or parts of practices these days, but every one of them has said both Labas and May are more skilled and athletic than Padilla or Petras. But they also say that Spencer really looks much better in practice, and unsurprisingly very much in command of the offense. I think KF looks at the young guys and mostly just sees the mistakes while still looking for Spencer to play in games like he plays in practices. I think that is where risk aversion meets old man stubborn and KF is afraid to risk mistakes so he plays a guy that actually creates more big picture risk.

The line is more puzzling. The move to Logan Jones was perplexing and remains so. Myslinski was a highly recruited center, we stole him from Texas so I don't know why the summer experiment didn't end when Myslinksi was fully healthy (if he is). It would be hard to be a worse center than Jones. But Plumb is the only senior and he's the second worst lineman. Just don't see him as hard to replace. They will all be a year older and have substantial starting experience, individually and as a unit. So I think we upgrade the two worst positions on the offense.

Never get lost in moment. People were howling like scalded dogs for KFs head after 2013 and two years later the Hawks are 12-0. I said the Stanley bashers would miss him when he graduated. Spencer Petras will be forgotten by half time of the season opener.

I'll pass along a little extra I heard from those that have seen Carson May practice. Apparently, Carson doesn't fully follow the red jersey rules. The defenders will hit him and apparently Carson is not afraid to deliver a hit. Nothing brutal but Carson seems to enjoy banging around with defenders. Not sure if that's a good or bad QB trait but it sure is funny.​
stanley will always be appreciated because of the woodshed game and for his toughness. that said he was as frustrating (imo even more so) as petras.

ADVERTISEMENT