ADVERTISEMENT

Tampering in the new NCAA Football era

cidsports

HR King

Zay Flowers told ESPN this week that in the three or four days prior to the May 1 portal deadline, he received multiple six-figure offers via intermediaries from name, image and likeness companies to enter the portal and transfer. He said he was told NIL companies would give him $600,000 to transfer to one school and there was another deal that would give him $300,000 to go to a different school. Flowers had not entered the NCAA transfer portal, nor given any public indication he intended to. - ESPN reported

I support the portal. NIL as it was originally suggested certainly was realistic, but the wild wild west certainly brings unfortunate consequences to a sport many of us love and enjoy discussing on this site.

Zay Flowers told ESPN this week that in the three or four days prior to the May 1 portal deadline, he received multiple six-figure offers via intermediaries from name, image and likeness companies to enter the portal and transfer. He said he was told NIL companies would give him $600,000 to transfer to one school and there was another deal that would give him $300,000 to go to a different school. Flowers had not entered the NCAA transfer portal, nor given any public indication he intended to. - ESPN reported

I support the portal. NIL as it was originally suggested certainly was realistic, but the wild wild west certainly brings unfortunate consequences to a sport many of us love and enjoy discussing on this site.

And, who was it that Zay Flowers told to Pete Thamel that offered him the $600k & $300k, respectively?

We need a name?

Hard to punish ________ if we don't have a name?

Come on, Zay, who did it?

Jeez, who saw this coming? 🙄
giphy.gif

Maybe, but the bigger question is, WHO is actually going to do the punishing? :rolleyes:
I think "The Plan" is for:

(1) NCAA brown shirt Investigators to gather proof of misconduct by NIL Collective; and
(2) unleash the NCAA black shirt Enforcement brigade to punish the College for "allowing" their NIL Collective to be naughty.

I think "The Plan" is for:

(1) NCAA brown shirt Investigators to gather proof of misconduct by NIL Collective; and
(2) unleash the NCAA black shirt Enforcement brigade to punish the College for "allowing" their NIL Collective to be naughty.
Okay. Let me know when they, "punish" KU for all their level one infractions after they stood there and handed them yet another NCAA tourney trophy all the while being cheating SOB's. I'll believe this is anything more then posturing when I see them actually do something to a team of relevance. :rolleyes:

Okay. Let me know when they, "punish" KU for all their level one infractions after they stood there and handed them yet another NCAA tourney trophy all the while being cheating SOB's. I'll believe this is anything more then posturing when I see them actually do something to a team of relevance. :rolleyes:

Yep. Cheating is so rampant these days that the NC trophies should be for most effective cheating.

Well, they're very busy. They still need to deal with the Sun Devils AD & Football HC for recruiting violations during COVID. Or, has that been forgiven?

Well, they're very busy. They still need to deal with the Sun Devils AD & Football HC for recruiting violations during COVID. Or, has that been forgiven?
I have no idea honestly, but my issue is how the NCAA can in basically the span of one season level numerous serious top level violations against one school, and then turn around and the same governing body stand on the podium and hand them championship trophy. Its hypocrasy, its lunacy, its ridiculous, whatever.....

Reactions: obfuscating
So, what rule was broken? Is there a rule against an NIL collective contacting a player?

I hope there is, but I haven't seen it.

So, what rule was broken? Is there a rule against an NIL collective contacting a player?

I hope there is, but I haven't seen it.
There is a rule against Boosters (many of whom make up the NIL Collective) being involved in recruiting.

"According to Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated, the NCAA is hoping to make it clear 'that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting.'"

'According to Dellenger, the new guidelines 'will highlight existing NCAA bylaws that outlaw boosters from participating in recruiting, reminding member schools of guardrails that, while in place for years, have been bent and broken during the first 10 months of the NIL era.'"

Per Dellenger, "Schools that do not control their donors’ spending could be found to have violated NCAA rules and will be sanctioned, according to the document."

You're right if the NIL Collective doesn't have any Boosters associated with the Collective. That's my understanding. Now, as to the NCAA's current definition of "a Booster," that's flat out laughable.

I have no idea honestly, but my issue is how the NCAA can in basically the span of one season level numerous serious top level violations against one school, and then turn around and the same governing body stand on the podium and hand them championship trophy. Its hypocrasy, its lunacy, its ridiculous, whatever.....
either need a complete overhaul of ncaa or, schools form their own governing body and start anew.

There is a rule against Boosters (many of whom make up the NIL Collective) being involved in recruiting.

"According to Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated, the NCAA is hoping to make it clear 'that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting.'"

'According to Dellenger, the new guidelines 'will highlight existing NCAA bylaws that outlaw boosters from participating in recruiting, reminding member schools of guardrails that, while in place for years, have been bent and broken during the first 10 months of the NIL era.'"

Per Dellenger, "Schools that do not control their donors’ spending could be found to have violated NCAA rules and will be sanctioned, according to the document."

You're right if the NIL Collective doesn't have any Boosters associated with the Collective. That's my understanding. Now, as to the NCAA's current definition of "a Booster," that's flat out laughable.
If you're involved in a collective, aren't you a booster by definition?

Reactions: hawkdave007
In theory a businessman could see marketing advantage in using an established well known athlete in an ad campaign and not be a booster.
But this should not apply to recruits who have yet to establish true brand value.

ASU has been devasted by the allegations. They fired most of their coaches, recruiting tanked, and they had something like 16 players on their two-deep transfer. And that's before the NCAA presents its notice of allegations.

"Hoping to make it clear". That's like putting a plate of broccoli and a plate of cookies in front of a 5 year old. Then telling the 5 year old you're going to go in the other room for awhile and he needs to eat the broccoli 1st before he can have a cookie. You hope you made it clear, but you know what the reality is before you leave the room.

In theory a businessman could see marketing advantage in using an established well known athlete in an ad campaign and not be a booster.
But this should not apply to recruits who have yet to establish true brand value.
What marketing advantage does a college kid bring? Seriously? Sincerely, someone who oversees a 7 figure marketing budget?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT