ADVERTISEMENT

Targeting rule

LetsGoHawks83

HB Legend
Mar 20, 2015
A lot of these today. Pretty WEAK one late in OSU game.

Tossed the player too.

I know they want to protect players but I see this call.going over board, just like weak facemask calls that are 15 flipping yards

The automatic ejection is pretty ridiculous imo. It's one thing if they get the call right all of the time, but often a player gets thrown out on a bad call (like in the Michigan game) which you hate to see. I don't know what the thought process was behind getting rid of the 5 yard facemask either. Way too many automatic first down penalties in the game today. I'm tired of seeing 3rd and 25 turning into a first down because somebody touched another player's helmet.

Reactions: Super-G
It's way too arbitrary to result in an ejection. Calls are so inconsistent, even within the same game that to eject a player if there's not clear malicious intent is way too extreme. Not to mention how fast things actually happen in a game. If the player's head is up, it should not result in a penalty.

With the penalty being as severe as it is, it should be a reviewable call. The ejection in the OSU/Mich game was so ridiculous.

Gotta protect the kids, but you also have to protect the integrity of the game.

With the penalty being as severe as it is, it should be a reviewable call. The ejection in the OSU/Mich game was so ridiculous.

From what I have seen, they review it everytime after it has been called. And I have seen it overturned also.

The ejection is automatically reviewed. Which means someone watching the Michigan player get pushed into the MSU player, and still decided to uphold the ejection.

It's way too arbitrary to result in an ejection. Calls are so inconsistent, even within the same game that to eject a player if there's not clear malicious intent is way too extreme. Not to mention how fast things actually happen in a game. If the player's head is up, it should not result in a penalty.

I basically don't have a problem with the call, and yes some of them seem pretty petty but they are trying to protect both players not just the one being hit. How many times have we seen the guy doing the hitting with the crown of his Helmet getting carted of the field from a Head/neck injury from the blow to their own head or compression of their own neck. It is also my own opinion that the hit late in the OSU game was warranted for ejecting the player for leading with the crown of his helmet. It is a very judgmental call and everyone sees it differently. I do like that before they eject a player they gone to the monitor to see if it is a warranted ejection. Doesn't mean we will agree with the call though, see how the first poster and I disagree over the hit in the OSU game.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
I think it is a needed rule because of the way coaches like Scumbag Narduzzi have been teaching players to play. Concussions are just way to serious to not address them.

The question is how does not a single Pitt player get called and ejected against Iowa, and then a call like happened in the Mich-MSU game does get called?

No consistency in the call. It should never be called during a typical running play, when players may lower their head late, causing the helmet to helmet to be accidental.

They should try to limit them to situations such as when a rusher hits a QB in the pocket, and obviously chooses to hit high. Or when a receiver is hit high, where the defender had every opportunity to hit legal, and chose to hit high.

TCU guy hit Lizard with the crown of the helmet, that was the only one today that deserved ejection.

I think it is a needed rule because of the way coaches like Scumbag Narduzzi have been teaching players to play. Concussions are just way to serious to not address them.

The question is how does not a single Pitt player get called and ejected against Iowa, and then a call like happened in the Mich-MSU game does get called?

No consistency in the call. It should never be called during a typical running play, when players may lower their head late, causing the helmet to helmet to be accidental.

They should try to limit them to situations such as when a rusher hits a QB in the pocket, and obviously chooses to hit high. Or when a receiver is hit high, where the defender had every opportunity to hit legal, and chose to hit high.
Pitt game was full of head shots by Pitt defender. Obviously this tecnique has to taught by defensive coaches.

The guy who tried to hit Cook but missed WAS targeting, but he missed. Then Boldon gingerly falls on him after being pushed. It's like the refs were confused by the initial miss from the safety.

If you lead with your head but barely miss can it still be a penalty? Or if they catch you trying to chop block, but missing? I'm sure they don't call that, but if there's clear intent they probably should

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Whenever rules are made to enhance safety in a violent game like football, it will effect and be effected by the natural reactions in game play. The decision just needs to be made whether the trade offs are acceptable.

As an Ohio State fan I think the Michigan targeting call should have been overturned. I think the OSU player wasn't intentionally trying to target. It was just poor tackling form, but the call based on the rule was correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT