ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor is having one of the worst years a safety has had at Iowa . . .

HoundedHawk

HR Legend
Oct 2, 2001
. . . in a long time, imo. I don't say that lightly, and imagine he feels worse than anybody about it.

Think about the term "safety". He is the last line to keep it from going big, and it's been a bad season.

On WI's first TD it was Taylor who missed the tackle at the very point of the pass completion.

On the long bomb it was Taylor who didn't defend the pass well enough.

On the tackle Josey missed for the long run, that basically guaranteed a two score lead, it was Taylor who was right there, but completely whiffed.

The same can be said for other losses. For example, whether it's NW long run, or pass in the end zone, it's shocking to see someone unable to stop a score when it is needed so intensely.

It's too bad, too. All reports are that he is a very positive example in practice. The bottom line is that he just doesn't get the job done. Hopefully, he can have some season defining redemption.

There are several players that are holding back our team and Taylor, Bower and our WR's are the reason. Nothing against them but a good program with good recruiting wouldn't have these guys playing.

Last edited:
I'd say the same about Snyder. Snyder just wants to lay the wood. Sometimes it pays off and he has a huge hit. Other times he totally misses. Both guys you cheer for and want to succeed but I don't see it for either. This has become a real problem over the last few years.

My crazy thought I had after week 3 was Mabin to safety and Jackson to the other cb.

Last edited:
Josey Jewel isn't playing very well either. Our best LB got absolutely trucked by Clement. That's sad.

. . . in a long time, imo. I don't say that lightly, and imagine he feels worse than anybody about it.

Think about the term "safety". He is the last line to keep it from going big, and it's been a bad season.

On WI's first TD it was Taylor who missed the tackle at the very point of the pass completion.

On the long bomb it was Taylor who didn't defend the pass well enough.
But he may well be the best "poet" on the team!!

On the tackle Josey missed for the long run, that basically guaranteed a two score lead, it was Taylor who was right there, but completely whiffed.

The same can be said for other losses. For example, whether it's NW long run, or pass in the end zone, it's shocking to see someone unable to stop a score when it is needed so intensely.

It's too bad, too. All reports are that he is a very positive example in practice. The bottom line is that he just doesn't get the job done. Hopefully, he can have some season defining redemption.

I'm much more worried about our offense than defense. We have no wide receivers. NONE.
Agreed. Defensively I think strides have been made, a la the 'Iowa teams get better as the season goes on,' but the offensive regression far exceeds the deficiencies on defense. Does anyone outside of the state even know who Matt Vandeberg is? How does one guy going down seemingly wreck everything when he was far from a standout? I'm not throwing the kid under the bus here, but he literally was the best of what's around... Things are going to get real very quickly here, everyone thought this was a cake walk and Iowa would be undefeated going into this. This was the first challenging game (theoretically) and the product on the offensive side of the ball was f+. It wasn't a blowout, they hung in there, but now that the meat of the schedule is going on, I have very little confidence. We came in thinking Beathard was our best QB in years, but I'm thinking now he's been ruined and takes up the family trade in Nashville....

Agreed. Defensively I think strides have been made, a la the 'Iowa teams get better as the season goes on,' but the offensive regression far exceeds the deficiencies on defense. Does anyone outside of the state even know who Matt Vandeberg is? How does one guy going down seemingly wreck everything when he was far from a standout? I'm not throwing the kid under the bus here, but he literally was the best of what's around... Things are going to get real very quickly here, everyone thought this was a cake walk and Iowa would be undefeated going into this. This was the first challenging game (theoretically) and the product on the offensive side of the ball was f+. It wasn't a blowout, they hung in there, but now that the meat of the schedule is going on, I have very little confidence. We came in thinking Beathard was our best QB in years, but I'm thinking now he's been ruined and takes up the family trade in Nashville....

I think Beathard is a good QB but he has no help at WR and that reflects poorly on the QB. Our line is just OK and that also hurts. What is scary is that Wisconsin also has a mediocre offense. I am afraid to see how do against a good/great offense. That is why the Michigan game scares me. They have a just as good, if not better defense, and a better offense. It could get bloody fast in that game.

Reactions: Bigfann1966
Because I pointed out what happened? Jewel didn't get run over by Clement?
Heck know he got knock on his ass but Jewell is playing very well right now one fricken Mutackle on Clements doesn't mean crap.Did you see tOSU lLBers get run over and over last week

Amazing how many clueless posters are on this board.
Jewell. Not playing well. LOL.

Btw am I the only one who thinks Bower isn't playing too terrible?

Reactions: wihawks
How many tackles did Jewell have? I think I heard 14 for the day ... He was the leader

Miss one tackle and you are complaining? Wow
He didn't miss a tackle. He hit the RB square up, in space and got trucked. Thats sad. He didn't get juked. He didn't have a bad angle. He had what every MLB dreams of. And he got trucked.

Hard to fault the defense in this game. With a few exceptions, they played well and gave the Hawks a chance to win. What's up with the offense is anyone's guess. Lack of depth, mediocre line play, inconsistent receiver play, senior QB not really seeming to lead or find ways to make things happen. Sometimes things don't click for reasons that are hard to explain. Personally, I think you can also look at systems and strategies that might be due for an overhaul. Meanwhile, we can hope the coaches will use the bye week to re-evaluate and tweak some of their offensive tendencies. Couldn't hurt, and there's still time and opportunity for this team to pull off something special ... or at least crash somebody's party.

Reactions: David1979
Good players are going to have mistakes also. King had the missed tackle on the long run, so it happens. Everyone is more interested in the hard hit or stripping the ball than wrapping up.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
A very uneducated football fan.Thats ok it takes all kinds to entertain the board.When Jewell is making 7 digit money tackling players on Sunday I'm sure he will thank fans like you

Josey Jewel isn't playing very well either. Our best LB got absolutely trucked by Clement. That's sad.
At least they went sideways after the hit. He just slipped out of his arms. It would be nice if Taylor could have even put a hand, let alone an arm on him.

A very uneducated football fan.Thats ok it takes all kinds to entertain the board.When Jewell is making 7 digit money tackling players on Sunday I'm sure he will thank fans like you
What Rd are you thinking he'll be drafted in? Do you think he's 1st/2nd Rd talent?

Have no clue I kniw he will make a team and work is way to being very good just like college. I just hope he stays in college another year

I do know JJ won't play MLB in a 4-3 at the next level and is taking one for the team and fans now should be on outside

The safeties haven't played as well as last year but we've been spoiled with good safety play at times under KF

This loss is totally, completely, 100% on the offense though. This defense pulled out a freaking miracle to hold WIS to 17 given the circumstances. We had FIVE 3 and outs, nine total drives of 6 plays or fewer. No drive went for more than 8 plays. The wear and tear on the defense was brutal - if Indiana or Purdue tried that strategy they'd have a sixty turd burger on their faces.

It was such a pathetic, awful performance by the coaching staff I'm half surprised we haven't seen some pink slips handed out. There's simply no excuses - the defense even handed out some good field position and gave us a plus one turnover advantage.

I 100% agree with your post. I do understand why KF brought GD back this year coming off good season and same QB but next year they have to change all of that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT