ADVERTISEMENT

TCU Overhaul

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Iowa might want to take a good hard look at where TCU was last year and where they are today undefeated and knocking on the door of a huge season. They fired Patterson who they built a statue of him… did an entire house cleaning . I am not calling for KF’s head because he’s earned the right to make this ship right. However - his lease is getting tighter and if Iowa happens to lose to Northwestern then he might be choking… I think Kirk needs to hire a offensive coordinator and let him take the reigns over and demote Brian to Oline coach… something has to give as I don’t want to see KF go out like Fry did … just thinking a year ago we were 6-1 at this point of the season…

Iowa might want to take a good hard look at where TCU was last year and where they are today undefeated and knocking on the door of a huge season. They fired Patterson who they built a statue of him… did an entire house cleaning . I am not calling for KF’s head because he’s earned the right to make this ship right. However - his lease is getting tighter and if Iowa happens to lose to Northwestern then he might be choking… I think Kirk needs to hire a offensive coordinator and let him take the reigns over and demote Brian to Oline coach… something has to give as I don’t want to see KF go out like Fry did … just thinking a year ago we were 6-1 at this point of the season…

WOB?

Reactions: BigOHawk
Kirk hasn't earned the right to "right the ship" time after time after time. The Iowa Football program is bigger than Kirk Ferentz.

His coaching attitude, strategies, and tactics are very clearly outdated. Iowa is slipping behind and, with the nepotism obviously taking place in Iowa City, both Ferentz' need to go.

The Hawkeyes play boring football every week and nobody wants that. It's time. I'd vote for kirk to retire in Jan '23 if the option was presented to me.

Kirk hasn't earned the right to "right the ship" time after time after time. The Iowa Football program is bigger than Kirk Ferentz.

His coaching attitude, strategies, and tactics are very clearly outdated. Iowa is slipping behind and, with the nepotism obviously taking place in Iowa City, both Ferentz' need to go.

The Hawkeyes play boring football every week and nobody wants that. It's time. I'd vote for kirk to retire in Jan '23 if the option was presented to me.
When Kirk retires I hope he does it right after the last regular season game and even if they are going to a bowl which he can still coach in. His retirement can happen soon after the bowl game.

You dont want 6 weeks to go by after a season where you might lose out on some coaching candidates. Also, the AD will know before the end of the regular season that Kirk is retiring so the AD can start putting out feelers to his top new coach candidates.

When Kirk retires I hope he does it right after the last regular season game and even if they are going to a bowl which he can still coach in. His retirement can happen soon after the bowl game.

You dont want 6 weeks to go by after a season where you might lose out on some coaching candidates. Also, the AD will know before the end of the regular season that Kirk is retiring so the AD can start putting out feelers to his top new coach candidates.
Yessir

Bowl game? Lol

So, the OP thinks the Hawks should hire an OC? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm .... he may be on to something.

I don't know anything about the situation at TCU, but it is a favorable example of a reboot to a football program that had a lot of success in the past but perhaps had gone stale.

It does sound familiar.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Two questions:

1) Why has KF earned the right to "make this ship right" but Patterson didn't? At least Patterson could win a Rose Bowl (and beat Wisconsin).

2) Do you think TCU fans care right now about what their former coach's rights were?
1) Didn't Iowa win the West last year?

2) Iowa isn't TCU. While I HATE the way this season has played out and I think the offense is terrible, coach Ferentz still gets and deserves the respect from a majority of Iowa fans. If you don't think so, check out the crowd at the next Iowa home game.

Two questions:

1) Why has KF earned the right to "make this ship right" but Patterson didn't? At least Patterson could win a Rose Bowl (and beat Wisconsin).

2) Do you think TCU fans care right now about what their former coach's rights were?

I get it that people are upset about this year, but when did our fanbase become Nebraska's? You question Patterson's coaching success at TCU, in the Big 12, and compare it with KF's success at Iowa simply because he won a Rose Bowl?

Since 2016, Gary Patterson was 38-32 going 14-16 in his last three seasons including 2021 where he was fired. He was on a sinking ship and deserved to get fired.

In that same period of time, Kirk Ferentz went 51-23 while going 26-9 in his last three seasons including 2021. KF is having a bad year. Yes, he has earned the right to improve on things for next year, especially after going 26-9 his previous 3 seasons.

KF will make changes this off-season. He is compelled to. He also needs to re-evaluate his OL recruiting strategy and numbers. I have said this for years and it has caught up with us. A great article that sums up the problems with the OL and how recruiting and attrition has hurt us. https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-football/2022/10/6031/iowa-football-wheres-the-beef

Why don't we look at why Patterson was fired. 2018 TCU was 7-6, 2019 5-7, 2020 6-4, 2021 3-5 before he was fired. So his record over his last 3+ seasons was 21-22. Iowa over the last 3+ seasons is 29-13 and ranked in the top 25 at the end of the year four years in a row. So are you saying we should wait 3+ years like TCU did? Can coaches have a bad year after four very successful years? Hayden Fry was 5-7 in 1992, 6-6 in 1993, and 5-5-1 in 1994 and his record in the next two years was 8-4 and 9-3. Winning at Iowa can be difficult even for Hall of Fame coaches.

He’s gotten paid for the 24 years as head coach. He doesn’t deserve anything unless he produces this year, next year, and the year after that. It’s not what you’ve done, it’s what are you going to do going forward to improve and get better.

Iowa is regressing under Ferentz with his son as OC/QB coach and putting his family interests ahead of the best interests of the football program. If he does in the off season and tries to bring in the best OC and QB coach he can then I’m all in support of his efforts to improve the program. If he doesn’t and doubles down on BF staying in these roles then he needs to go.

Scott Frost is available. He coaches creative offense. Just saying be careful what you wish for. How many proven top o/c do you see standing in line for the Iowa job? How about head coaches?

If you’re on the side to blow it up today what results do you expect coaching change will impact on the o- line? The QB play?

I can support significant changes after the season, but not in mid-stream. I don’t think a change would benefit today. Give the new coach a chance to install their system before live bullets fly.

Why don't we look at why Patterson was fired. 2018 TCU was 7-6, 2019 5-7, 2020 6-4, 2021 3-5 before he was fired. So his record over his last 3+ seasons was 21-22. Iowa over the last 3+ seasons is 29-13 and ranked in the top 25 at the end of the year four years in a row. So are you saying we should wait 3+ years like TCU did? Can coaches have a bad year after four very successful years? Hayden Fry was 5-7 in 1992, 6-6 in 1993, and 5-5-1 in 1994 and his record in the next two years was 8-4 and 9-3. Winning at Iowa can be difficult even for Hall of Fame coaches.
The schedule, historically has not been exactly taxing. 8-4 is the minimum. The Big 12 is crazy, it's like playing Purdue ,and at times, OhioSt type O four times a season. How would Kirk do vs that? not good.
There is a reason Kirk and Barta are getting ahead of the new conference with their complaining. They want this made for 8-win schedule to continue.

Scott Frost is available. He coaches creative offense. Just saying be careful what you wish for. How many proven top o/c do you see standing in line for the Iowa job? How about head coaches?

If you’re on the side to blow it up today what results do you expect coaching change will impact on the o- line? The QB play?

I can support significant changes after the season, but not in mid-stream. I don’t think a change would benefit today. Give the new coach a chance to install their system before live bullets fly.
It is going to be a struggle for anyone. Whether Kirk stays ( he will retire after next year, he wants nothing to do what is coming).The new conference, with one decent program, maybe two if Washington comes, and one blue blood coming, one that is taking football very seriously again, is no joke. And Whisky, Illini, Purdue and Minny getting after it, ouch. No NIL, no portal, lazy recruiting, outdated schemes. It won't be early 70's bad. But it will not be good.

1) Didn't Iowa win the West last year?

2) Iowa isn't TCU. While I HATE the way this season has played out and I think the offense is terrible, coach Ferentz still gets and deserves the respect from a majority of Iowa fans. If you don't think so, check out the crowd at the next Iowa home game.
Iowa fans go to the game because Ferentz is the coach?

TCU is great this year but let’s see how the next few seasons go. Michigan State had a great run last year and is struggling this year to the point that folks are questioning the extension of Mel Tucker and that associated buyout.

I get it that people are upset about this year, but when did our fanbase become Nebraska's? You question Patterson's coaching success at TCU, in the Big 12, and compare it with KF's success at Iowa simply because he won a Rose Bowl?

Since 2016, Gary Patterson was 38-32 going 14-16 in his last three seasons including 2021 where he was fired. He was on a sinking ship and deserved to get fired.

In that same period of time, Kirk Ferentz went 51-23 while going 26-9 in his last three seasons including 2021. KF is having a bad year. Yes, he has earned the right to improve on things for next year, especially after going 26-9 his previous 3 seasons.

KF will make changes this off-season. He is compelled to. He also needs to re-evaluate his OL recruiting strategy and numbers. I have said this for years and it has caught up with us. A great article that sums up the problems with the OL and how recruiting and attrition has hurt us. https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-football/2022/10/6031/iowa-football-wheres-the-beef
Get out of here with your facts and level-headedness! Can't you see these people are trying to rouse some rabble?!

The schedule, historically has not been exactly taxing. 8-4 is the minimum. The Big 12 is crazy, it's like playing Purdue ,and at times, OhioSt type O four times a season. How would Kirk do vs that? not good.
There is a reason Kirk and Barta are getting ahead of the new conference with their complaining. They want this made for 8-win schedule to continue.
Strength of schedule 2016-2021
Iowa - 44, 10, 27, 13, 23, 20
TCU - 43, 8, 29, 26, 25, 40

Comparable, with Iowa's obviously being a bit harder on average.

Strength of schedule 2016-2021
Iowa - 44, 10, 27, 13, 23, 20
TCU - 43, 8, 29, 26, 25, 40

Comparable, with Iowa's obviously being a bit harder on average.

maybe - but it would be hard for the Hawks to hold up in those Big 12 track meets. Running clock and back peddling on D doesn't work vs a conference full of Purdue's and better.

Imagine you are Garrett Riley.. You currently work in DFW, which has a larger population than the state of Iowa. You have access to one of the best states for recruiting. Your boss grew up in the state, can get you into any high school in that state, is a leader in playing the portal, and gave you, your first shot a calling plays. Sonny can play the portal so well, because of the connections he has, based on his career and bringing Texas kids back to Texas.
Riley is at a school that 2 years ago brought in the #1 RB in the country, currently has WR better than anyone Iowa has every had, and his starting QB will tell him, he wasn't interested in Iowa.
Or he could go to Iowa, with it's 2/3 star high school tradition, no easy access to major cities and a head coach who devotes the majority of his resources to defense and special teams.

How much more would Iowa have to offer you to take that deal?

PS. Riley runs Drinkwitz's offense, not his brothers.

Kirk hasn’t earned the right to do shit. He’s not bigger than Iowa football, which is the problem. People put him on a pedestal like he’s some God and Iowa Football will end when he’s gone. Laughable.

Get out of here with your facts and level-headedness! Can't you see these people are trying to rouse some rabble?!
People who are calling for KF to be fired are ridiculous. Yes, he needs to change some things if he wants to right the ship. I think he will have to make a change at OC this winter. That may be a big sign of how he plans to move forward.

Imagine you are Garrett Riley.. You currently work in DFW, which has a larger population than the state of Iowa. You have access to one of the best states for recruiting. Your boss grew up in the state, can get you into any high school in that state, is a leader in playing the portal, and gave you, your first shot a calling plays. Sonny can play the portal so well, because of the connections he has, based on his career and bringing Texas kids back to Texas.
Riley is at a school that 2 years ago brought in the #1 RB in the country, currently has WR better than anyone Iowa has every had, and his starting QB will tell him, he wasn't interested in Iowa.
Or he could go to Iowa, with it's 2/3 star high school tradition, no easy access to major cities and a head coach who devotes the majority of his resources to defense and special teams.

How much more would Iowa have to offer you to take that deal?

PS. Riley runs Drinkwitz's offense, not his brothers.
They would need to offer Saban money lol… he did coach at Augustana in the quad cities… a man can dream he’d be offered/take the job

People who are calling for KF to be fired are ridiculous. Yes, he needs to change some things if he wants to right the ship. I think he will have to make a change at OC this winter. That may be a big sign of how he plans to move forward.
That’s the rub. I think people would be willing to give him more time if he were to completely change his offensive philosophy and his OC but he’s not therefore we’re defaulting for it’s time for him to hang it up.

While I feel it is past time for KF to retire, I do not trust Barta to hire a new coach.

That’s the rub. I think people would be willing to give him more time if he were to completely change his offensive philosophy and his OC but he’s not therefore we’re defaulting for it’s time for him to hang it up.
Like I said, his new pick as OC will tell a lot. He has not had to hire anyone away from a program during his entire tenure. Greg Davis was out of coaching when he nabbed him. The guy was just delaying his retirement. BF came from within the program. His new OC will need to be assured that he will have control of the offense and will not be micromanaged.

What seasons are you referring to for easy schedules? Last year Iowa was the 24th most difficult schedule according to Sagarin. Examples of teams with weaker schedules Oklahoma #30, Notre Dame #43, Pitt #69, NC State #66 all 9+ win teams. Sagarin has us at the #5 toughest schedule this year so far.

Kirk has done very well against ISU who since 2017 has had a winning Big 12 conference record every year. Iowa beat Maryland who beat W Virginia last year. W Virginia scored 6 points against Minnesota's defense in the bowl game. ISU scored 17 points against Iowa last year and averaged 35 in Big 12 play and never scored less than 21 in conference play and 6 of 9 games scored over 30. Saying Kirk would not do well in the Big 12 is quite a stretch.

USC and UCLA are currently both ranked in the top 12 of college football. Adding them to our schedule will certainly make it more difficult. The Big 12 losing Texas and Oklahoma will certainly make their schedules weaker.

Like I said, his new pick as OC will tell a lot. He has not had to hire anyone away from a program during his entire tenure. Greg Davis was out of coaching when he nabbed him. The guy was just delaying his retirement. BF came from within the program. His new OC will need to be assured that he will have control of the offense and will not be micromanaged.
I’d say the odds are 80% they already have the OC for next year.

He’s had going on 6+ years to fix the five year offensive mess of Greg Davis. He’ would have never been given that long at another school in this universe. Barta is as much of the problem as KF & BF.

Two questions:

Many colleges have fired coaches, Iowa's fan base seems to be at a "but who would want to coach here and what if it's worse (glass half empty)" roadblock.

Anyone can be replaced, KF has earned his money, the respect of fellow coaches, etc. Not the right to leave "when and how" he says so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT