ADVERTISEMENT

TCU Overhaul

He’s had going on 6+ years to fix the five year offensive mess of Greg Davis. He’ would have never been given that long at another school in this universe. Barta is as much of the problem as KF & BF.
Barta is smart enough to know winning football games is the goal. Iowa has played 3 top 5 defenses and 5 top 10 defenses this year. That sure impacts our offense.

Fire a coach after 4 top 25 seasons, what universe do you live in?

As in on the staff?? or you literally think 80% it’s BF? No way BF is coordinator if we don’t make a bowl, zero chance in my opinion.
I wouldn’t say zero chance…my opinion the odds are like this:
No bowl - 3-9, 4-8 type finish:
10% - Kirk retires
65% - Brian is gone/demoted and new OC
25% - Brian returns and Kinnick is pretty empty next year

Anything 6-6 or better:
100% Brian is back baby, Barnett probably would be the scapegoat if it’s only 6-6, but honestly 7-5 or more….Kirk probably keeps him too.

Imagine you are Garrett Riley.. You currently work in DFW, which has a larger population than the state of Iowa. You have access to one of the best states for recruiting. Your boss grew up in the state, can get you into any high school in that state, is a leader in playing the portal, and gave you, your first shot a calling plays. Sonny can play the portal so well, because of the connections he has, based on his career and bringing Texas kids back to Texas.
Riley is at a school that 2 years ago brought in the #1 RB in the country, currently has WR better than anyone Iowa has every had, and his starting QB will tell him, he wasn't interested in Iowa.
Or he could go to Iowa, with it's 2/3 star high school tradition, no easy access to major cities and a head coach who devotes the majority of his resources to defense and special teams.

How much more would Iowa have to offer you to take that deal?

PS. Riley runs Drinkwitz's offense, not his brothers.
Isn't this Lincoln Riley's brother? He isn't coming to Iowa.

Reactions: Mccusk34
People who are calling for KF to be fired are ridiculous. Yes, he needs to change some things if he wants to right the ship. I think he will have to make a change at OC this winter. That may be a big sign of how he plans to move forward.
I don't think he has it in him to make that change but I agree that he needs to and he knows he needs to. Retirement seems likeliest to me.

As in on the staff?? or you literally think 80% it’s BF? No way BF is coordinator if we don’t make a bowl, zero chance in my opinion.
It’s going to be Brian next year, like it or not.
With 5 games left, there is still time for BF to save his job. If things don't change, I simply don't believe that a change at OC will not be made. Not doing so will weigh heavily on Barta's future and will show up greatly in the lack of ticket sales.
And it has no bearing on how they offense does the rest of the way.

The only way it’s not Brian next year is if they can find Him a job that doesn’t look like a demotion. Unfortunately nobody is going to roll the dice on Brian after how the Doyle/Jax hire went. His résumé doesn’t warrant taking the risk of the public backlash. Right or wrong, Brian is intertwined with all the racial allegations regardless of how the trial or settlement goes. He’s already been indicted in the court of public opinion.

I wouldn’t say zero chance…my opinion the odds are like this:
No bowl - 3-9, 4-8 type finish:
10% - Kirk retires
65% - Brian is gone/demoted and new OC
25% - Brian returns and Kinnick is pretty empty next year

Anything 6-6 or better:
100% Brian is back baby, Barnett probably would be the scapegoat if it’s only 6-6, but honestly 7-5 or more….Kirk probably keeps him too.
I hope I’m wrong but I think everyone on here is really setting themselves up for disappointment. I think you’re underestimating Kirks stubbornness and how much family matters. Personally I think the odds are flipped from the above on the 65/25.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
TCU. Remember Iowa was ranked #2 as recently as last season. Maybe just hold the horses a bit on TCU being a perennial power.
It's not about perennial power. For a coordinator Iowa offers such an uphill battle to be successful, especially at skill positions. Iowa and TCU are in the same tier, TCU has massive recruiting advantages. Constantly be the 2nd tier team in your conference with no recruiting base, or be at the top tier of your conference with a massive recruiting base?

If the fire Kirk fans want a "offensive minded" coach to replace Kirk, that has ties to the state, it would be Dana Holgorsen. His record at WVU wouldn't be good enough for the people on this board.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
1) Didn't Iowa win the West last year?

2) Iowa isn't TCU. While I HATE the way this season has played out and I think the offense is terrible, coach Ferentz still gets and deserves the respect from a majority of Iowa fans. If you don't think so, check out the crowd at the next Iowa home game.
1) Did we win 10 games, too? I wasn't aware of that.

2) Yeah, I've heard that Kinnick has been essentially filled for the past 40 years because fans respect KF.

2) Iowa isn't TCU. While I HATE the way this season has played out and I think the offense is terrible, coach Ferentz still gets and deserves the respect from a majority of Iowa fans. If you don't think so, check out the crowd at the next Iowa home game.
I think the majority of fans respect Ferentz and the job he has done here. What I and others question is his judgment in watching Petras play so badly week after week and not exploring other options at the QB position. Granted, with this o-line it may be possible that no QB on the roster may succeed. But he hasn't given any other QB a chance to show what they can bring to the table.

People who are calling for KF to be fired are ridiculous. Yes, he needs to change some things if he wants to right the ship. I think he will have to make a change at OC this winter. That may be a big sign of how he plans to move forward.
Kirk is behind the low-risk low-reward offensive ideology - His approach to everything Football is simply out-dated, meaning he will bring another OC in and still demand the same tactics that get the Iowa offense next to nowhere.

The program needs to be burned to the ground (whatever that actually means) if Brian is OC come 2023.
What about Bryan Ellis from Georgia southern(for offensive coordinator), big pay upgrade for him a bigger stage.. it’s a pro style offense but more up tempo… move Brian to OL coach again to save face… that’s somewhat of a win/win until Barta is gone

Kirk is behind the low-risk low-reward offensive ideology - His approach to everything Football is simply out-dated, meaning he will bring another OC in and still demand the same tactics that get the Iowa offense next to nowhere.
After the Nebraska NW loss I went to the Nebraska board. One of their writers wrote that Nebraska offense was their main problem and they need to be more like Wisc, NW, Minn, and Iowa. He wrote that these teams play complimentary football while Nebraska had an offense that didn't use clock and by the 4th quarter their defense was wore out and they lost allot of games in the 4th quarter, including why he thought they lost the NW game.

He said that Frost was not right for the Big West due to his offensive ideology. Interesting take from another team who does not seem to think this ideology is outdated. The Michigan and Illinois offenses were better than ours but looked very similar both rushed for over 170 yds and had a back over 130 yds. Illinois passed for 116 yds.

We have rushed for 84.1 yds per game 13th in the Big 10. Michigan is at 241.7 and Illinois is at 198.9. Add to this that that we had Vines out until last week Johnson out, Brecht out for several games as was Ragaina. Missing much of fall camp I am sure impacted the QB receiver timing as well as getting in football shape for the receivers.

We have also played 3 top 5 defenses and 5 top 10 defenses.

Two questions:

1) Why has KF earned the right to "make this ship right" but Patterson didn't? At least Patterson could win a Rose Bowl (and beat Wisconsin).

2) Do you think TCU fans care right now about what their former coach's rights were?

1) Did we win 10 games, too? I wasn't aware of that.

2) Yeah, I've heard that Kinnick has been essentially filled for the past 40 years because fans respect KF.
You asked the questions in comparison to Gary Patterson and I answered them. I'll ask this - do you think that TCU would fire Ferentz if he had the record he has had at Iowa there? The answer has to be no, very few schools would, especially if they were located in a state that has relatively few if any recruiting advantages. Most fan bases would kill to have the record Iowa football has had over the past 20 years. It is going to be very hard to remove Ferentz without his consent.

Reactions: Mccusk34
Well, I can't really argue with you on that. Like I said, who he hires, if it comes to that, will say a lot of things as to his willingness to innovate and change some things or not.

After the Nebraska NW loss I went to the Nebraska board. One of their writers wrote that Nebraska offense was their main problem and they need to be more like Wisc, NW, Minn, and Iowa. He wrote that these teams play complimentary football while Nebraska had an offense that didn't use clock and by the 4th quarter their defense was wore out and they lost allot of games in the 4th quarter, including why he thought they lost the NW game.

He said that Frost was not right for the Big West due to his offensive ideology. Interesting take from another team who does not seem to think this ideology is outdated. The Michigan and Illinois offenses were better than ours but looked very similar both rushed for over 170 yds and had a back over 130 yds. Illinois passed for 116 yds.

We have rushed for 84.1 yds per game 13th in the Big 10. Michigan is at 241.7 and Illinois is at 198.9. Add to this that that we had Vines out until last week Johnson out, Brecht out for several games as was Ragaina. Missing much of fall camp I am sure impacted the QB receiver timing as well as getting in football shape for the receivers.

We have also played 3 top 5 defenses and 5 top 10 defenses.
Yeah. Sure. Ok....

NEB had a drive of 8 plays 75 yards (TD)
NEB had a drive of 14 plays 80 yards (TD)
NEB had a drive of 8 plays 88 yards (TD)

They had a 300+ yard passer and a 100+ yard rusher. 23 1st downs gained. They were over 50% on 3rd down
conversions.

Thennnnn there's the defense in that game: gave up over 500 yards of offense to include 200+ rushing. NEB currently has the 124th ranked defense in yards allowed / game.

But yeah, the problem in Lincoln is that their Offense doesn't resemble Iowa's................

They don't need an offense that uses more clock. They need a defense. Period.

Yeah. Sure. Ok....

NEB had a drive of 8 plays 75 yards (TD)
NEB had a drive of 14 plays 80 yards (TD)
NEB had a drive of 8 plays 88 yards (TD)

They had a 300+ yard passer and a 100+ yard rusher. 23 1st downs gained. They were over 50% on 3rd down
conversions.

Thennnnn there's the defense in that game: gave up over 500 yards of offense to include 200+ rushing. NEB currently has the 124th ranked defense in yards allowed / game.

But yeah, the problem in Lincoln is that their Offense doesn't resemble Iowa's................

They don't need an offense that uses more clock. They need a defense. Period.
Apparently you disagree. As I said this was on the Nebraska board by one of their writers. The last two scores were both by NW, two TDs to win the game. I assume this game was just an example of how he feels the Frost era has gone and his feeling that late in games the defense is worn down. He used the term complementary football and hiring a coach that understands this so they can compete in the Big West.

He did not only mention Iowa's offense but also Minn., Wisc., and NW.

Fire his son and staff on offense as the AD, if Kirk wants to hire a new staff you approve of then he can stay, if not then he can retire.

Barta is smart enough to know winning football games is the goal. Iowa has played 3 top 5 defenses and 5 top 10 defenses this year. That sure impacts our offense.

Fire a coach after 4 top 25 seasons, what universe do you live in?
Kirk has rode the coat tails of Norm and Phil for years. The defense, not the offense, is the reason we have had those high rankings. Kirk snatched a 8-4 season from the jaws of 12-0. Lost four games by a total of 11 points due to the offense being a no show. Just wait until USC and UCLA begin play and the BIG moves away from divisions. With this offense, Iowa will be in the bottom third of the BIG. Good luck with BF running the show.

Kirk has rode the coat tails of Norm and Phil for years. The defense, not the offense, is the reason we have had those high rankings. Kirk snatched a 8-4 season from the jaws of 12-0. Lost four games by a total of 11 points due to the offense being a no show. Just wait until USC and UCLA begin play and the BIG moves away from divisions. With this offense, Iowa will be in the bottom third of the BIG. Good luck with BF running the show.
Last I checked Norm and Phil work for Kirk. In 2020 Iowa scored 31.4 PPG which was second in the Big10.

Which season did Iowa go 8-4 instead of 12-0?

I assume every team in the Big not named OSU, Mich, or PSU will have problems with USC and UCLA. College football has always been about the Jimmy and Joes not the Xs and Os. Look at Miami's coaches in the 80s thru early 2000s. 4 coaches won national championships there. Jimmy Johnsons best year at Ok St was 8-4 in 5 years, his Miami record was 52-9 with 3 top 2 teams in 5 years. Dennis Erickson was top six 5 of his 6 years and after leaving Miami had a 31-17 record at Oregon State and 31-31 record at ASU. Larry Coker was top 5 three of his six years at Miami and was 22-26 in 4 years at UTSA.

3 I don’t care what TCU fans think - I am using this program as an example…. And TCU is much like Iowa and I think UTAH is much like Iowa .. but just stating an opinion brother … that’s all you can agree to disagree all good

Last I checked Norm and Phil work for Kirk. In 2020 Iowa scored 31.4 PPG which was second in the Big10.

Which season did Iowa go 8-4 instead of 12-0?

I assume every team in the Big not named OSU, Mich, or PSU will have problems with USC and UCLA. College football has always been about the Jimmy and Joes not the Xs and Os. Look at Miami's coaches in the 80s thru early 2000s. 4 coaches won national championships there. Jimmy Johnsons best year at Ok St was 8-4 in 5 years, his Miami record was 52-9 with 3 top 2 teams in 5 years. Dennis Erickson was top six 5 of his 6 years and after leaving Miami had a 31-17 record at Oregon State and 31-31 record at ASU. Larry Coker was top 5 three of his six years at Miami and was 22-26 in 4 years at UTSA.
USC and UCLA? I heard the same about Nebraska and Penn State when they joined. How has that worked out? Nebraska sucks and Penn State is just another team in the BIG.

maybe - but it would be hard for the Hawks to hold up in those Big 12 track meets. Running clock and back peddling on D doesn't work vs a conference full of Purdue's and better.
that conference is not full of Purdue's or better--look st how we play ISU--Hall All American--Purdy--all American are 0 fer and Hall never gainer over 80 yds . Even when OU had Heisman QB and they let them in the playoffs they then got blitzed--big 12 ............

USC and UCLA? I heard the same about Nebraska and Penn State when they joined. How has that worked out? Nebraska sucks and Penn State is just another team in the BIG.
Penn State is hardly just another team in the Big. Franklin in his 12 years has won 11 games 3 times and 9 games another 3. Playing OSU, MICH, and MSU every year sure does not help their record. In the last ten years the winningest Big teams are OSU, Wisc, MSU, and PSU and Iowa tied for 4th. PSU has the tradition and great recruiting territory to keep them near the top. They had the #7 ranked recruiting class in 2022.

Nebraska the smallest state in the Big and SD to their North and two state schools in both Iowa and Kansas they have a poor recruiting area. Not a surprise that even with great tradition they have taken a step back.

Iowa might want to take a good hard look at where TCU was last year and where they are today undefeated and knocking on the door of a huge season. They fired Patterson who they built a statue of him… did an entire house cleaning . I am not calling for KF’s head because he’s earned the right to make this ship right. However - his lease is getting tighter and if Iowa happens to lose to Northwestern then he might be choking… I think Kirk needs to hire a offensive coordinator and let him take the reigns over and demote Brian to Oline coach… something has to give as I don’t want to see KF go out like Fry did … just thinking a year ago we were 6-1 at this point of the season…
There are some circumstances that make the TCU situation what it is. Dykes spent a year as analyst at the program and then went to SMU for 4 years, he was brought back to TCU because of his relationship with the AD.
Dykes and his family give me a lot of clout in the state when it comes to recruiting. Dykes had recruited (at SMU) much of that roster. At SMU Dykes used the transfer portal to bring Texas players back to Texas, brought the same process to TCU (Iowa with never have that advantage). Dykes' coaching history of moving around to so many jobs, his dad's connections, makes his network quite large, which helps with transfers (he has relationships with position coaches all over the country) and helps him in bringing in young coaches. His staff found a way to make Duggan an accurate passer, not by design because Duggan was 2nd string to start the year.
The offensive line; JR, SR, SR, SR, JR. They only start 1 underclassmen, a freshman d-lineman.
This is Dykes 4th head coaching job. He has had success, failed, success, and to start success. For too many on this board a guy like Dykes wouldn't be good enough for Iowa because at Cal he went 1-11; 5-7; 8-5; 5-7. Heck his most wins ever was 2019, 10-3.
The fire Kirk fans on this board will accept nothing less than 8 wins EVERY year.

Brian will have 0 problems finding a job as an o-line coach in the NFL.

Reactions: bradaf
that conference is not full of Purdue's or better--look st how we play ISU--Hall All American--Purdy--all American are 0 fer and Hall never gainer over 80 yds . Even when OU had Heisman QB and they let them in the playoffs they then got blitzed--big 12 ............
ISU should had just thrown 7 yd outs to the same receiver ... it worked for 99 yds and winning TD this year. By a 1a Iowa high school qb. Really, 99 yds at home with a supposed elite D ( which isn't even close but need something, anything this year to blow up).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
TCU. Remember Iowa was ranked #2 as recently as last season. Maybe just hold the horses a bit on TCU being a perennial power.
Jesus, were we Really that good? No. We had a decent schedule and great defense. Terrible offense last year, only to be outdone by this years shitshow

There are some circumstances that make the TCU situation what it is. Dykes spent a year as analyst at the program and then went to SMU for 4 years, he was brought back to TCU because of his relationship with the AD.
Dykes and his family give me a lot of clout in the state when it comes to recruiting. Dykes had recruited (at SMU) much of that roster. At SMU Dykes used the transfer portal to bring Texas players back to Texas, brought the same process to TCU (Iowa with never have that advantage). Dykes' coaching history of moving around to so many jobs, his dad's connections, makes his network quite large, which helps with transfers (he has relationships with position coaches all over the country) and helps him in bringing in young coaches. His staff found a way to make Duggan an accurate passer, not by design because Duggan was 2nd string to start the year.
The offensive line; JR, SR, SR, SR, JR. They only start 1 underclassmen, a freshman d-lineman.
This is Dykes 4th head coaching job. He has had success, failed, success, and to start success. For too many on this board a guy like Dykes wouldn't be good enough for Iowa because at Cal he went 1-11; 5-7; 8-5; 5-7. Heck his most wins ever was 2019, 10-3.
The fire Kirk fans on this board will accept nothing less than 8 wins EVERY year.

Brian will have 0 problems finding a job as an o-line coach in the NFL.
You’re sure about BF and the NFL? Until the lawsuit is resolved no one in the NFL will even consider him. His resume as a OL coach at Iowa will not have a lot teams tripping over themselves to hire him. He was the OL coach under Greg Davis and there is not much to sell during that five year stint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT