ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***TE Luke Lachey commits to Iowa***

Guys, I think Kirk feels he needs one more TE and the reason may boil down to the expectation that Beyer is a really good “move” TE. He gets the majority of TE targets this year and has a possibility of such an impressive year that he gets an NFL pre-grade of 3rd round or better. If so, he may be gone and Weiting and Cook are both 5th year seniors.

IIRC - that leaves us with Miamen and LaPorta, plus these 2 current commits as the only scholarship TE’s for the 2020 season. I am betting that Kirk wants the 5th TE, especially if it is Theo, and BF can say that there are 3 positions for the 5 of you. Whoever wins in practice wins the job. Now, who is willing to work the hardest for it??

(Note: I am not factoring in Vejvoda. Also there could be a viable walk-on TE I haven’t mentioned. I am personally excited about the 6’7” walk-on from Cedar Falls who would have 2 full years being Doylized before the 2020 season, Jackson Frericks. Other walk-on’s are Kujawa, Schulte and Feldman.)

Last edited:
Guys, I think Kirk feels he needs one more TE and the reason may boil down to the expectation that Beyer is a really good “move” TE. He gets the majority of TE targets this year and has a possibility of such an impressive year that he gets an NFL pre-grade of 3rd round or better. If so, he may be gone and Weiting and Cook are both 5th year seniors.

IIRC - that leaves us with Miamen and LaPorta, plus these 2 current commits as the only scholarship TE’s for the 2020 season. I am betting that Kirk wants the 5th TE, especially if it is Theo, and BF can say that there are 3 positions for the 5 of you. Whoever wins in practice wins the job. Now, who is willing to work the hardest for it??

(Note: I am not factoring in Vejvoda. Also there could be a viable walk-on TE I haven’t mentioned. I am personally excited about the 6’7” walk-on from Cedar Falls who would have 2 full years being Doylized before the 2020 season, Jackson Fredrick’s. Other walk-on’s are Kujawa, Schulte and Feldman.)

Vejvoda is a senior this year who moved to long snapper.

Welcome to Tight End University Luke! Man are we stoked to have you on board! You will love every level of your experience in Iowa City. You made the biggest choice of your young life and it was the right one. I think we will see you on the field sooner than later. Thanks for becoming a part of the Hawkeye family!

lSrRkYp.gif

Reactions: pink shizzle
I think Johnson goes to PSU with Lachey's commitment.

I’m not so sure. I just listened to his 247 interview and I don’t think he cares how many TE commits Iowa currently has. Iowa is in his top 4.

I’m biased, but I think Iowa and Georgia might be in his top 2 if he had to choose today. I just get that feeling.

I think PSU will have to show him more of a commitment to the TE in their offense. He said he wanted to see them do what they say they’re going to do, so I guess I am assuming that’s what he means.

I don’t think he goes to Michigan.

pretty sure he is a 4* on 247.....rivals is just worthless :)

With all the elite talent at clemson and bama, I think they won't get anything but 2 and 3* players

;)
I know you’re joking but Clemson actually has a 2 star DB with a verbal for 2020.....but it’s Venables kid soooo......

I know you’re joking but Clemson actually has a 2 star DB with a verbal for 2020.....but it’s Venables kid soooo......

He'll be a 5 star in a couple weeks.

I just laugh when folks say "we have a good player at x position, why would another good player want to come here now". They act like kids with elite talent and nfl aspirations are gonna be afraid to compete with another kid.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
He'll be a 5 star in a couple weeks.

I just laugh when folks say "we have a good player at x position, why would another good player want to come here now". They act like kids with elite talent and nfl aspirations are gonna be afraid to compete with another kid.
Agreed...if you think you are good enough then it shouldn’t matter.....maybe it does to some kids...but if so then kick rocks and we might see you down the road somewhere.....

Agreed...if you think you are good enough then it shouldn’t matter.....maybe it does to some kids...but if so then kick rocks and we might see you down the road somewhere.....
If you think who else a program is bringing doesn't matter to a recruit then pay attention to how many times they site the chance for early playing time as a factor in their choice. That doesn't mean they're afraid to compete. They just realize that there's only so much playing time to go around and they want to compete in games as much as possible and not just on the practice field...

Reactions: RHBar
Early playing time is a little different than who else is coming in the class. I think most of these top level players as high schoolers think they can compete against anyone else coming in. However, they might not think they will get the same opportunity against an upper class starter returning to the team. The bottom line is these are young men with tough decisions being pulled in various directions. Who knows what ends up being the deciding factor?

If you think who else a program is bringing doesn't matter to a recruit then pay attention to how many times they site the chance for early playing time as a factor in their choice. That doesn't mean they're afraid to compete. They just realize that there's only so much playing time to go around and they want to compete in games as much as possible and not just on the practice field...
I’m not saying it doesn’t matter...I’m saying i don’t think it shouldn’t matter unless you don’t think you can compete with the other talent....and I would think it would matter even less with a program that uses TEs as frequently and as much as Iowa does. Jmho

I’m not saying it doesn’t matter...I’m saying i don’t think it shouldn’t matter unless you don’t think you can compete with the other talent....and I would think it would matter even less with a program that uses TEs as frequently and as much as Iowa does. Jmho

You’ve got to compete with somebody everywhere you go. Just put yourself in the best situation and work for the best.

Look, if you were in Iowa’s TE room last year you’d have felt buried. And this year? Room for reps, just have to prove good enough. I don’t think we have a TE room strong enough to scare off Theo. There’s plenty of opportunity there for the taking.

Reactions: RHBar
Fant and hock both started over upperclassmen.
If they are worthy of playing time, they will get it. That is if they aren't scared to compete for the spot. If they are then why would we want them? And why do all the blue bloods keep getting 4*/5* guys when they are already loaded with them?

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT