ADVERTISEMENT

New Story TE Nate Vejvoda bulking up

Apr 8, 2003
Tom's Q&A with incoming freshman Nate Vejvoda.

---

Standing on the sidelines for Iowa's final spring practice, Nate Vejvoda saw up close what he already knew, he needs to get bigger and stronger once he arrives in Iowa City in June. The Iowa signee is working on adding to his frame this spring, following the Iowa workout sent to him. He talks about adding weight, this relationship with other recruits, and his role this fall.

Q: What have you been doing from the training perspective? Are you doing any spring sports or just focused on football?

VEJVODA: It's pretty much been football. I have been doing the Iowa weight lifting program and strength and conditioning.

Q: How has it helped you and how is it different from what you were doing?

VEJVODA: It's definitely more focused on mobility and explosiveness. With the weightlifting it's more focused on football movements and I think that is helping me to get stronger.

Q: Do you feel like it has made a big difference?

VEJVODA: Yes I do.

Q: You have been out to Iowa City this spring and you were at the spring game. What have to picked up just watching practice?

VEJVODA: I learned that I am going to have to put on some weight to compete with those guys. (laugh) It was pretty much what I expected from the spring. The defense looked really good and they did better than the offense, but I think that will change over time. The offense has a lot of new faces out there, so it's going to take some times and I am excited to be a part of it this fall. I am also going to compete for the long snapper job at Iowa. I did that in high school and want to try it at Iowa. They said I have a good chance at that, so I watched that area too.

Q: You are developing a relationship with a new position coach now too with LeVar Woods taking over the tight ends. What has that been like for you?

VEJVODA: Obviously it was different going from one coach to another one, but I have only heard good things about Coach Woods and D.J. is still around for a bit too. It hasn't been a negative at all for me. I know I am going to be coached well no matter who is there.

Q: With this recruiting class, it seems like a pretty tight group that gets along well with each other. What is the relationship like with the guys coming in this fall with you?

VEJVODA: I saw a lot of those guys on my official visit and then again at the spring game. Drew Cook and all the guys from Iowa are really nice guys. We get along really well and we all have similar personalities. I think we will work great together.

Q: You have mentioned needing to get bigger. What's your weight at right now?

VEJVODA: 220.

Q: Do you have a weight that you want to be at when you get to Iowa City this summer?

VEJVODA: I report on June 14th and I want to be up to 225. Once I get there I know they are going to want to beef me up pretty quickly. (laugh)

Q: There was a significant injury at tight end this spring with Jake Duzey going down. He is supposed to be back, hopefully early on in the season if not soon. Does that change your outlook on playing this year?

VEJVODA: Obviously it would be great to play and everything, but I understand that there are plenty of good tight ends at Iowa and there will be a good competition. I plan on coming in and giving it my best shot.

Q: How do you view your future as a tight end at Iowa?

VEJVODA: They are starting to use them a little differently. I saw them splitting them out more, depending on the formation they were using. I will have to adapt once I get there because I was used more like a wide receiver in high school, so I am used to being out there split out.

Q: Is the biggest adjustment for you going to be blocking, specifically on the line?

VEJVODA: Yeah, it will be much more of an adjustment than being a receiver. It will be a challenge and I just have to learn the proper techniques needed.

Q: Have you picked out a number yet or been assigned one?

VEJVODA: I haven't yet. I wouldn't mind being #84, but I think that's taken. I will be happy with anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News