ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers protesting school openings are saying, "We're not essential."

We are in this situation Because guys like you who just had to have your Applebee’s and Olive Garden. Now many schools across the nation are likely to be remote and CFB is likely to have a very very abbreviated season.
Unless you have stayed in your house for five months straight, you have contributed to the spread just as much as as the Olive Garden people. Didn't we already go through this in the @NoleATL thread? You have been coaching little league baseball right? In a time of a pandemic? How dare you.

We are in this situation Because guys like you who just had to have your Applebee’s and Olive Garden. Now many schools across the nation are likely to be remote and CFB is likely to have a very very abbreviated season.
I can't speak for Iowa, but in FL the demographics are definitely not folks you generally see at Applebee's or OG.

I get a kick out of the people complaining about schools opening with distancing (or at least an attempt at it) and masks, hand sanitizer everywhere, etc., but then have their kids sitting in a dugout with a bunch of kids piled on top of each other with no safety measures. Not trying to come down on baseball because there hasn't been any major story of umpires, coaches, or other Covid spreading events. It further proves that schools should be able to operate IF teachers and admins follow their plans.

I get a kick out of the people complaining about schools opening with distancing (or at least an attempt at it) and masks, hand sanitizer everywhere, etc., but then have their kids sitting in a dugout with a bunch of kids piled on top of each other with no safety measures. Not trying to come down on baseball because there hasn't been any major story of umpires, coaches, or other Covid spreading events. It further proves that schools should be able to operate IF teachers and admins follow their plans.
@unIowa have you let your kid(s) play baseball this summer?

Reactions: farmandfleet

The key is, there can't be widespread community spread in the area. Right now, places where the virus is spreading the fastest are also places that are mandating 5 days a week, 8 hours a day for school. It's a recipe for disaster and the people in charge just don't care.

This is a complex debate, because the idea that schools should open isn't a bad one. The issue is forcing it too soon. I just wish the people saying schools should be open 5 days a week would also volunteer to substitute teach at some of these school districts. It might help give some perspective.

The key is, there can't be widespread community spread in the area. Right now, places where the virus is spreading the fastest are also places that are mandating 5 days a week, 8 hours a day for school. It's a recipe for disaster and the people in charge just don't care.

This is a complex debate, because the idea that schools should open isn't a bad one. The issue is forcing it too soon. I just wish the people saying schools should be open 5 days a week would also volunteer to substitute teach at some of these school districts. It might help give some perspective.
Have you seen baseball tournaments this summer? I'm not going to argue whether it is right or wrong, but I will say that baseball tournaments with zero safety measures being followed can't be any worse than schools opening that are attempting to follow safety measures.

Keep in mind with these baseball tournaments, many teams also stay in hotels together and do other activities away from the fields.

Again, I can't speak for Iowa, but in FL the areas with the highest spread are opening remotely. The other areas have a variety of options ranging from full remote, full on campus, split schedules, etc.

Schools should be open six days a week. Half the students go to school on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and the other half go to school on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Have you seen baseball tournaments this summer? I'm not going to argue whether it is right or wrong, but I will say that baseball tournaments with zero safety measures being followed can't be any worse than schools opening that are attempting to follow safety measures.

Keep in mind with these baseball tournaments, many teams also stay in hotels together and do other activities away from the fields.

Again, I can't speak for Iowa, but in FL the areas with the highest spread are opening remotely. The other areas have a variety of options ranging from full remote, full on campus, split schedules, etc.

I have not seen any baseball tournaments but unless those baseball tournaments are being held indoors for 8 hours in a confined space, you can't compare the two. The key to transmission is being inside for extended periods of times with poor ventilation. It is orders of magnitude safer outdoors than it is indoors (but it's not zero).

I guess you could try and hold classes outside but that would be highly ineffective teaching and isn't practical in northern states in December.

I have not seen any baseball tournaments but unless those baseball tournaments are being held indoors for 8 hours in a confined space, you can't compare the two. The key to transmission is being inside for extended periods of times with poor ventilation. It is orders of magnitude safer outdoors than it is indoors (but it's not zero).

I guess you could try and hold classes outside but that would be highly ineffective teaching and isn't practical in northern states in December.
So you will say kids piled on top of each other in a dugout with absolutely no safety measures is safer than a school with masks and attempts at distancing? I understand the argument of being indoors, but I just don't see how one can be worse than the other.

Schools should be open six days a week. Half the students go to school on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and the other half go to school on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

That's one plan. You'd have to pay the teachers, administrators, and staff more for having to work an extra day a week so it would be an extremely expensive plan. Not to mention the extra costs for PPE for everyone. States and school districts would have to have a support package passed to carry the extra expenses.

Still, if community spread is out of control, it's only a matter of time before the disease spreads through the school.

everyone is entitled to their opinion… But this one is really, really bad. I hate when people think they’re being really clever making a political point… But then proceed to drop something completely asinine.
Its really really bad just because it doesn't fall along your political ideology.

So you will say kids piled on top of each other in a dugout with absolutely no safety measures is safer than a school with masks and attempts at distancing? I understand the argument of being indoors, but I just don't see how one can be worse than the other.

Because your risk of infection is higher the greater your exposure. The droplets disperse far more quickly outside than they do inside. I would hope these tournaments are requiring masks while they are in the dugouts with each other.

There have been many examples of outdoor crowds not having an infection spike. Really, the only time there have documented major issues are at locations where a bunch of drunk people are also still in close proximity to each other.

That's one plan. You'd have to pay the teachers, administrators, and staff more for having to work an extra day a week so it would be an extremely expensive plan. Not to mention the extra costs for PPE for everyone. States and school districts would have to have a support package passed to carry the extra expenses.

Still, if community spread is out of control, it's only a matter of time before the disease spreads through the school.
1120 hours of in-class instruction per year.

Because your risk of infection is higher the greater your exposure. The droplets disperse far more quickly outside than they do inside. I would hope these tournaments are requiring masks while they are in the dugouts with each other.

There have been many examples of outdoor crowds not having an infection spike. Really, the only time there have documented major issues are at locations where a bunch of drunk people are also still in close proximity to each other.
No masks in dugouts. Again, I'm not saying either is safe or not safe, but I don't see how one can be "terrified" by schools opening WITH safety measures while being completely fine with their kid playing baseball.

Try getting teachers to go along with that, unless you tell them they can teach 3 days for full pay and double the number of teachers. The cost would be enormous. Longer days and M/W and T/R would be better.

Try getting teachers to go along with that, unless you tell them they can teach 3 days for full pay and double the number of teachers. The cost would be enormous. Longer days and M/W and T/R would be better.

You only have to feed half the kids each day, so you could run with a leaner dietary staff.

They are essential but forcing them into a building where a virus spreads with ease is n

I love it with non teachers think they know what is best.
The virus won't spread with ease if you follow the required safety measures. It can still spread, but it will not be with ease.

Reactions: hawkosx
The virus won't spread with ease if you follow the required safety measures. It can still spread, but it will not be with ease.
Iowa isn’t requiring masks for students and many classes are at capacity at the larger school.

Tell me what safety guidelines will be followed and who will enforce them. We are dealing with kids of all ages here.

Perhaps you should become a teacher since you have this all figured out.

Get back to me and let me know how that works out for you.

Smaller class sizes, more pay and more teachers on the payroll to control overtime costs.

You'd think the Teachers Union would LOVE this idea, but nooooooo......

Iowa isn’t requiring masks for students and many classes are at capacity at the larger school.

Tell me what safety guidelines will be followed and who will enforce them. We are dealing with kids of all ages here.
Iowa seems to be the exception. FL has very strict measures in place. If kids don't follow them they won't be allowed on campus. The teachers at my wife's school seem pretty satisfied with the changes they've seen. This is their second day on campus and kids come back in a week.

So please ignore my argument as it is only relevant to FL. If your schools are not requiring this stuff then you have every right to complain about it.

I will attack Trad for a variety of things but not his choice in food.

Reactions: unIowa
The Teachers Union doesn’t have the power that they used to. Republicans in Iowa will never go along with what your propose. It’s all political now.
I left the union to save me the 700 bucks since Iowa Republicans stripped 95% of their power. People can't blame the unions for anything in Iowa. We can't strike and can't negotiate.

First time I've seen this, but what a great idea!

JFC, seriously??

MeanSmoothItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT