ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers protesting school openings are saying, "We're not essential."

Large groups of 14 kids in a classroom 6 feet apart and wearing masks is more dangerous than 16 kids in a dugout with no spacing and no masks?

Schools have hundreds or thousands of people in them and most rooms have poor ventilation. Also, if you think that rooms will only have 14 kids in them I have some beach front property in Nevada to sell you. There are only so many teachers and there was a major teacher shortage before all of this. Good luck finding the personel, the funds, and the space to hire the extra teachers trying to keep class sizes to 14 will require.

Schools have hundreds or thousands of people in them and most rooms have poor ventilation. Also, if you think that rooms will only have 14 kids in them I have some beach front property in Nevada to sell you. There are only so many teachers and there was a major teacher shortage before all of this. Good luck finding the personel, the funds, and the space to hire the extra teachers trying to keep class sizes to 14 will require.
My wife teaches 5th grade. 14 kids per class on campus. 3-4 kids per class remote.

A leaner dietary staff would not save enough money for your plan. They and other support staff at schools are extremely underpaid.

And they are paid from different revenue sources that can’t be redirected to teacher pay.

Reactions: gohawks50
Two things.

1- yes they are and I don't belong to it. Mostly because they continue to let bad teachers stay in their jobs. Unless you are molesting kids, drinking/doing drugs on the job or not acknowledging your privilege, you can't get fired.

This is simply not true. Teacher unions just make sure a teacher can't be fired without cause. You show me a bad teacher staying in their job, I'll show you an administration not doing theirs. Bad teachers in a job are caused by bad administrators not doing theirs. It doesn't take much for them to drop in and evaluate teachers and if they get word that one of them aren't doing it, then they need to step up and evaluate them.

Pretty sure the profession of teaching is not, and never was intended to be, interchangeable with frontline infrantyman.
Because they are less expendable than clerks, sanitation workers, truck drivers, police officers ... ?

Lucky her. I teach high school. Not one class has fewer than 20 students and all but one has more than 25 students. I'm betting my situation is far more common than hers.
For HS, yes. Our district has a max 18 per class on campus, but also bigger classrooms. More HS kids are doing private, home school, or remote learning, which has helped greatly with the numbers.

I know Iowa is a shit show from what I’ve read. But FL has a good plan in place to reduce spread. Schools in FL will be much safer than a lot of other activities people are doing now.

This is simply not true. Teacher unions just make sure a teacher can't be fired without cause. You show me a bad teacher staying in their job, I'll show you an administration not doing theirs. Bad teachers in a job are caused by bad administrators not doing theirs. It doesn't take much for them to drop in and evaluate teachers and if they get word that one of them aren't doing it, then they need to step up and evaluate them.

I have one in my building that pushes a super liberal agenda on kids and hasn't been fired for doing so in 15 years of teaching!

Lucky her. I teach high school. Not one class has fewer than 20 students and all but one has more than 25 students. I'm betting my situation is far more common than hers.

HS Math with 20-25 per class with a new curriculum last year that mandates group work. Gonna be an interesting year.

Reactions: BioHawk
For HS, yes. Our district has a max 18 per class on campus, but also bigger classrooms. More HS kids are doing private, home school, or remote learning, which has helped greatly with the numbers.

I know Iowa is a shit show from what I’ve read. But FL has a good plan in place to reduce spread. Schools in FL will be much safer than a lot of other activities people are doing now.

Can kids who are only online participate in activities like football?

Can kids who are only online participate in activities like football?
good question. I haven't heard that they can't. It would kind of defeat the purpose of being remote, but no policy that I'm aware of.

I personally do not think football will be played though until people accept the fact that kids are going to test positive and are willing to just quarantine that kid instead of the entire team.

Reactions: Finance85
SIL teaches in KS and some of the schools told kids if they chose to go online this fall then no activities and once they signed their choice, no change til second semester

I have one in my building that pushes a super liberal agenda on kids and hasn't been fired for doing so in 15 years of teaching!

Because trying to fire somebody for that is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do. You’ll get sued in a second. It’s good you picked this line of work and you aren’t making decisions for a private company.

SIL teaches in KS and some of the schools told kids if they chose to go online this fall then no activities and once they signed their choice, no change til second semester

In Indiana most are allowing participation in activities for online students. Many are also asking for a semester commitment.

To the idea about defeating the purpose of online school, there are activities that keep you away from the general population of kids and control your exposure.

Not true

Of course those should be closed. A daycare would be the worst possible thing.

A camp maybe not quite as bad but still bad enough. We shouldn't be having kids sports either.

To take down this virus I'd be willing to sacrifice my stimulus payments if we shut everything down that's highly risky like that and if people couldn't find child care I'd rather pay them to stay at home.

Masks should be enforced with the threat of jail time for violators.

Of course this country lacks the will to take these measures and so many people are going to pay with their lives because their countrymen and women are unwilling to make the necessary sacrifices.
Don't bother with that guy...he thinks this is where teachers are expendable like troops storming the beaches at Normandy.

If not for the teachers then certainly for the kids, and for their families.
I can't understand why a teacher would say they're non-essential - that's crazy.
We're told all the time on here how worthless we are, until people want kids back in schools. Why anybody would want kids around all of these can't do anything but teach, loser teachers is beyond me.

Reactions: goldmom
There's some truth to this, but in Iowa it isn't because the union can do anything. I mean, if you have students in your room, and you're on your phone swiping on Tinder, maybe you should lose your job. These people embarrass me.

They are essential, and I think they’re so essential that it’s essential that the rest of society be as responsible as possible to mitigate the risks of reopening schools, regardless of what “reopening schools” actually entails.
Who's on first?

My sister is a math teacher for a local magnet school that went online with excellent results last year.......not sure why they aren't doing it again this coming year, but they've decided against year. Maybe the guidelines are coming from the White House.

There's some truth to this, but in Iowa it isn't because the union can do anything. I mean, if you have students in your room, and you're on your phone swiping on Tinder, maybe you should lose your job. These people embarrass me.

And those people would be fired with a competant administration. No union will try and keep that person on, provided the accusations have merit.

HS Math with 20-25 per class with a new curriculum last year that mandates group work. Gonna be an interesting year.

For us, COVID requirements are overruling any standards or curriculum mandates.

I'd like to know what you mean by "pushing a super liberal agenda" before commenting much on that. However, if he/she is not teaching the curriculum and maintaining state standards then it is up to the administration to go through the process of removing the teacher. It is not the Union's job to do this. It really isn't that hard. In Illinois, two unsatisfactory evaluations in a row and you can be released from your contract.

I have family teaching in Florida and he would disagree with you, but I can't really comment since I don't know everything being done.

Can you give an example where adminstrators have evaluation documentation and were not able to dismiss a "bad" teacher? It takes work and documentation, but it is possible to fire a teacher.

And those people would be fired with a competant administration. No union will try and keep that person on, provided the accusations have merit.
I had a totally incompetent boss many years ago. I complained that there were only two of us going outside at dismissal from our duty team. School was surrounded by busy streets and we had a tough clientele. She said "What am I supposed to do about it?" "Write their asses up.", I replied.

Reactions: goldmom
They are essential but forcing them into a building where a virus spreads with ease is n

I love it with non teachers think they know what is best.

have yo read this and other articles and multiple studies if you get the chance. Kids are very unlikely to spread this infection. Teachers are much much safer and better off than other workers, essential or not. It’s time to get back to work. Even the Pediatricians have said it before the WHO pressured them to walk it back. In other words, science says go back to school, politics say maybe not.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200710100934.htm

have yo read this and other articles and multiple studies if you get the chance. Kids are very unlikely to spread this infection. Teachers are much much safer and better off than other workers, essential or not. It’s time to get back to work. Even the Pediatricians have said it before the WHO pressured them to walk it back. In other words, science says go back to school, politics say maybe not.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/07/200710100934.htm
Look at what’s going on in Georgia. It’s already spreading in schools. Also, there are all those kids at a YMCA camp that got sick.

Your article is complete bullshit compared to what is going on. Maybe kids 10 and under don’t spread it as easily but 10 and over certainly can.

Last edited:
Bio, are you not familiar with the teachers in NYC who've not been in a classroom in years but cannot be fired because of union rules?
Not being snarky. Check it out.

Because trying to fire somebody for that is one of the dumbest things you can possibly do. You’ll get sued in a second. It’s good you picked this line of work and you aren’t making decisions for a private company.

Schools are not a private company and cannot be treated as such. I wouldn't treat this situation nearly the same. Our admin has been trying to fire this teacher for years. For the record, I know it looked like I was making this political by saying they are teaching far left policies. They call out students for their families ties with the military, shut down conservative students opinions based on grades, bringing in guest speakers that rip on everything in America. There is no other side of the argument.

However, I will play along with your scenario because there is more. If you had an employee constantly disagreeing with what the boss is asking them to do, what would happen?

Look at what’s going on in Georgia. It’s already spreading in schools. Also, there are all those kids at a YMCA camp that got sick.

Your article is complete bullshit compared to what is going on. Maybe kids 10 and under don’t spread it as easily but 10 and over certainly can.

"Testing positive" and actually "getting sick" are two extremely different things.

Reactions: hawkedoff
I'd like to know what you mean by "pushing a super liberal agenda" before commenting much on that. However, if he/she is not teaching the curriculum and maintaining state standards then it is up to the administration to go through the process of removing the teacher. It is not the Union's job to do this. It really isn't that hard. In Illinois, two unsatisfactory evaluations in a row and you can be released from your contract.

I told some of the ideas above but there is so much more. The union has protected this teacher despite continued arguments over standards and curriculum.

Schools are not a private company and cannot be treated as such. I wouldn't treat this situation nearly the same. Our admin has been trying to fire this teacher for years. For the record, I know it looked like I was making this political by saying they are teaching far left policies. They call out students for their families ties with the military, shut down conservative students opinions based on grades, bringing in guest speakers that rip on everything in America. There is no other side of the argument.

However, I will play along with your scenario because there is more. If you had an employee constantly disagreeing with what the boss is asking them to do, what would happen?

I told some of the ideas above but there is so much more. The union has protected this teacher despite continued arguments over standards and curriculum.

Nevermind. I am not being professional and I recognize that. Venting frustrations. Sorry.

ADVERTISEMENT