ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers' salaries ranked by state... Actual salary and Cost of Living Adjusted

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/201...t-over-teacher-salaries-a-look-at-the-numbers

Follow the link for the full chart...

You can see, with the adjustment in cost of living, some interesting things happen to the rankings:

• Oklahoma ranks 49th in average teacher salary but jumps to 40th. Still low, to be sure, and cold comfort to Oklahoma teachers, but it's nuance worth knowing.
  • West Virginia is less mobile, moving from 46th to 43rd.
  • Mississippi lands next to last in average salary but rockets up to 37th after the adjustment.
  • At first, Indiana and California appear light-years apart, paying $50,715 and $72,842 respectively. But the cost of living adjustment, which favors relatively low-cost Indiana, brings the two states' salaries to within $100.
  • Hawaii offers a similar tale of two salaries. Before the adjustment, it sits high up the list: 18th overall. After accounting for the state's high cost of living, Hawaii falls to the very bottom.
  • New York ranks first in average salary at $77,957 but, after the adjustment, plummets to 17th.
  • Michigan moves in the opposite direction, from 11th before the adjustment to first. That's right, after adjusting for regional cost differences, Michigan tops the list with an average salary of $71,773.

L O fuqing L.

If you’re making over 50,000 as a year in Iowa, you’re not rich by any means but you certainly ain’t poor. Teachers like to bitch about “not getting paid enough” but I’d bet there are thousands to would take that salary in a heartbeat.

Teachers are the most whinny group of ppl in America. If you don’t think you get paid enough, find a new job.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/201...t-over-teacher-salaries-a-look-at-the-numbers

Follow the link for the full chart...

You can see, with the adjustment in cost of living, some interesting things happen to the rankings:

• Oklahoma ranks 49th in average teacher salary but jumps to 40th. Still low, to be sure, and cold comfort to Oklahoma teachers, but it's nuance worth knowing.
  • West Virginia is less mobile, moving from 46th to 43rd.
  • Mississippi lands next to last in average salary but rockets up to 37th after the adjustment.
  • At first, Indiana and California appear light-years apart, paying $50,715 and $72,842 respectively. But the cost of living adjustment, which favors relatively low-cost Indiana, brings the two states' salaries to within $100.
  • Hawaii offers a similar tale of two salaries. Before the adjustment, it sits high up the list: 18th overall. After accounting for the state's high cost of living, Hawaii falls to the very bottom.
  • New York ranks first in average salary at $77,957 but, after the adjustment, plummets to 17th.
  • Michigan moves in the opposite direction, from 11th before the adjustment to first. That's right, after adjusting for regional cost differences, Michigan tops the list with an average salary of $71,773.
A friend of mine moved to Michigan for a high school AD job. He makes much more money than he did in Iowa and is only doing one job title. In Iowa many schools have an AD/Asst. Principal combined. I couldn't believe how little they paid for their house up there.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
L O fuqing L.

If you’re making over 50,000 as a year in Iowa, you’re not rich by any means but you certainly ain’t poor. Teachers like to bitch about “not getting paid enough” but I’d bet there are thousands to would take that salary in a heartbeat.

Teachers are the most whinny group of ppl in America. If you don’t think you get paid enough, find a new job.
Of course there are thousands that would take that salary but are they willing and qualified? I'd take Lebron James' salary in a heartbeat but I ain't nearly qualified. There is absolutely nothing wrong with advocating for improvements in your salary and benefits. When its done in the private sector its the smart thing to do. Anytime a public employee does it they are whiny and greedy.

Iowa at #8.

They have nothing to complain about.
Iowa teachers are doing ok NOW. The issue is with the collective bargaining changes and minimal funding increases there is a very real chance average pay will be eroded over time, thus potentially reducing the quality of teachers that are drawn to the occupation. Many intelligent people look at long term trends and how decisions made for political purposes now may affect a larger group in the long run.

I mentioned in another thread that had the collective bargaining changes just enacted been in place since the beginning of chapter 20 collective bargaining was passed, teachers would be making just less than 70% of what they are now. Which according to the chart would be probably about last.

Of course there are thousands that would take that salary but are they willing and qualified? I'd take Lebron James' salary in a heartbeat but I ain't nearly qualified. There is absolutely nothing wrong with advocating for improvements in your salary and benefits. When its done in the private sector its the smart thing to do. Anytime a public employee does it they are whiny and greedy.

They are whiny. Give me three months plus off a year and I’ll teach your stupid kids.

Reactions: BrianNole09
L O fuqing L.

You forgot the three best things about being a teacher...June,July and August.

Reactions: BrianNole09

They are whiny. Give me three months plus off a year and I’ll teach your stupid kids.

Hey guess what? You can. Put your money where your mouth is.

I've been teaching 14 years and I've never heard one person complain about their pay.
Only complaint I ever hear is about having to deal with kids who were raised by parents like you.

I've been teaching 14 years and I've never heard one person complain about their pay.
Only complaint I ever hear is about having to deal with kids who were raised by parents like you.

Getting deep in here with that bullshit.

“Been teaching 14 years and never heard ANYONE complain about their pay.” Ok, Chief.

I see lying is a quality teachers must all encompass.

“Been teaching 14 years and never heard ANYONE complain about their pay.” Ok, Chief.

I am around teachers all the time and I hear way more complaining about teachers making too much than I hear teachers complaining about making too little.

Why don't you list your experience, education, job duties, and salary and we'll see how it compares.

Being completely honest. I have no issue with what I make. Didn't get into it for the money. Understood that going in. Most teachers are the same.

Then go be a teacher or stfu. You get what you pay for. Teaching is a thankless, shit job most people would not be able to handle. Oh, and you have to be college educated. You sound like a fvcking moron.

Yeah we already pay teachers pretty well based on the information in the OP.

I’ll I’m sayinf is I think they make ok coin and are whiny from the start. You can’t go into a job knowing full wel the salary and benefits and then complain about the salary and benefits.

Oh and taking three months off and every major holiday.

Yeah we already pay teachers pretty well based on the information in the OP.

I’ll I’m sayinf is I think they make ok coin and are whiny from the start. You can’t go into a job knowing full wel the salary and benefits and then complain about the salary and benefits.

Oh and taking three months off and every major holiday.

It's a little early for the Jameson and Car Bombs. What if you go into a job knowing you'll be at least able to collectively bargain on some aspects of your job and that's taken away from you after you've already put a fair amount of time in that profession?

I say GFY.

Just because my opinion differes from the majority doesn’t mean I’m gonna start posting my jerb and salary

How often do you actually hear Iowa teachers complain about being underpaid?

I hear it frequently from my sister in law and ask my co-worker who taught HS English for 10 years

So your opinion that they should STFU or get a different job is based on your sister-in-law and a guy that actually did get a different job? Does the fact that teachers on here say they don't complain maybe give you concern about generalizing your sample of 2?

Iowa teachers are doing ok NOW. The issue is with the collective bargaining changes and minimal funding increases there is a very real chance average pay will be eroded over time, thus potentially reducing the quality of teachers that are drawn to the occupation. Many intelligent people look at long term trends and how decisions made for political purposes now may affect a larger group in the long run.

I mentioned in another thread that had the collective bargaining changes just enacted been in place since the beginning of chapter 20 collective bargaining was passed, teachers would be making just less than 70% of what they are now. Which according to the chart would be probably about last.
We were in the 40's in pay until Vilsack, I believe. Branstad, at first, didn't make any changes so I voted for him last time. Now because of the Republicans going full on attack mode on Iowa public employees, I don't know what's going to happen. I do know I won't be voting Republican again in this state.

giphy.gif

I am around teachers all the time and I hear way more complaining about teachers making too much than I hear teachers complaining about making too little.

Why don't you list your experience, education, job duties, and salary and we'll see how it compares.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: longliveCS40
Oh, so schools go year round now?
Some do. I teach INTO the month of June by a week, and then we go back in August. Sometime as early as the 11th or 12th. Sometimes more into the 20's like this year...whatever they come up with for the calendar. NEVER have I had THREE FULL months off. This is the lie your ilk likes to perpetuate. And to be clear...we aren't paid for the days we don't work in the summer. I don't understand why this bothers so many of you so much.

I love being a teacher and while the pay obviously isn't great, I knew that going in and we make it work. What I have a problem with is people who have never taught being comfortable with officials in our state basically advocating for stagnant wages and loss of benefits while also taking power away from employees. If you think that's okay and that teachers should just shut up and deal with it, you are part of the problem.

And to be clear...we aren't paid for the days we don't work in the summer. I don't understand why this bothers so many of you so much.
I've always found this argument that you aren't paid for summer days odd. It's seems pretty standard when discussing salaries we're talking about a yearly salary. If you were comparing salaries with someone else, would you adjust your salary to reflect what it would be for working the full year? Let's say you make $50,000 for the 9 months (I know it might be more that that; just using 9 months as an example) you work. Do you specify you make $50,000/year or $50,000/9months. Or do you adjust the $50,000 to $66,000 and say you make $66,000/year to reflect what you would make if you worked the full year? ($50,000/9*12).

And to be clear...we aren't paid for the days we don't work in the summer. I don't understand why this bothers so many of you so much.
I've always found this argument that you aren't paid for summer days odd. It's seems pretty standard when discussing salaries we're talking about a yearly salary. If you were comparing salaries with someone else, would you adjust your salary to reflect what it would be for working the full year? Let's say you make $50,000 for the 9 months (I know it might be more that that; just using 9 months as an example) you work. Do you specify you make $50,000/year or $50,000/9months. Or do you adjust the $50,000 to $66,000 and say you make $66,000/year to reflect what you would make if you worked the full year? ($50,000/9*12).

Probably because teaching contracts specify the exact number of days and per diem pay.

Reactions: phantom_204
From the North Carolina teacher's salary schedule:

2008-2009
Teacher with master's after 25 years....$52,570 with annual increases to $57,810 at 31+ years. Pretty simple and no complaints.

2017-2018
Teacher with Master's after 25 years....$51,300 and this is it until retirement whenever that might be. That's the same pay scale as a teacher with a bachelor's degree. The GOP legislature (with a veto-proof majority) tried to strip masters pay from all teachers including those who had been on the masters schedule for years but the court ruled that was unconstitutional. Those teachers who earned their masters degree by August 2013 now get $56,430 at 25 years with no change until retirement. If you got your masters degree after that...too bad.

Teachers also once got a longevity bonus every year that equaled a percentage of their salary....4.5% at 25+ years....that would equal about $2,600 for a teacher at the top of the pay scale. The GOP state legislature (remember that veto-proof majority?) did away with that. Of course, they still allow bonuses to their staffs that can hit 19%. So...yeah...a staffer with 25+ years making $51,300 could get a bonus on top of that of nearly $10K....'cause we need to pay to keep the best you know.

Oh...and the budget for supplies...things like, you know, books and shit...they cut that from $68/student to $31/student (that's adjusted for inflation). Teachers at my school are using class sets of ten year old textbooks that are duct taped together There are no textbooks for students to take home.

So, yes, I'm complaining about teacher pay here and to those who have an issue with that, you can kindly shove it...sideways. :)

Last edited:
I love being a teacher and while the pay obviously isn't great, I knew that going in and we make it work. What I have a problem with is people who have never taught being comfortable with officials in our state basically advocating for stagnant wages and loss of benefits while also taking power away from employees. If you think that's okay and that teachers should just shut up and deal with it, you are part of the problem.

This is a separate argument but I wanted to respond to what you are saying. I find myself conflicted in what the state is doing. I, like most people, do not like losing any power or negotiating rights but I also think that it's beyond ridiculous that a teacher cannot be a member of its local union without being a member of one specific state and national union. Wages and benefits are negotiated by the local union specifically. A person should be able to negotiate their contract without supporting a group that doesn't represent them or their views. I recognize that those larger unions do lobby for things that benefit me, but they also support a lot more things that I do not agree with.

It's a ten month contract here. And in the two months I have off, I'll be taking a group of students to Atlanta for a week in late June for a national competition and I'll have two separate weeks of training. None of that is compensated. I'll get four weeks of unpaid time - no two of them back to back - to do what I want...so there's that. ;)

L O fuqing L.

Nothing like a person whining about a group of people that are whiny. Especially, when nobody in this thread was whining about teacher pay. Well done on creating a controversy. You must love Fox News.

ADVERTISEMENT