ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers told to remove rainbows, photos of same-sex spouses as DeSantis’ ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law goes into effect

I started a thread about it awhile back.

Here you go. https://www.doe.mass.edu/sfs/lgbtq/
The Safe Schools Program for LGBTQ Students is a joint program of the Massachusetts Commission on LGBTQ Youth and the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). It was founded in 1993 to address concerns of bullying and suicide risk that faced LGBTQ youth in Massachusetts public schools. Today, the Safe Schools Program remains an important part of implementing the state’s anti-bullying law and protecting the health and safety of students.

Teachers did not develop the program. It was developed by a state agency to address a law. Teachers are simply following state requirements.

Really? So how do you explain the news about teachers in various places having a curriculum for elementary kids that includes sexuality? Do you think there's value in prohibiting something inappropriate before it happens, or do you wait until it happens?

Here's the text of the bill.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF
If by sexuality you mean queer then what are they to do when queer is a fact of life? Queer children will have all kinds of rights violated. It's more Christian supremacy.

Really? So how do you explain the news about teachers in various places having a curriculum for elementary kids that includes sexuality? Do you think there's value in prohibiting something inappropriate before it happens, or do you wait until it happens?

Here's the text of the bill.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF

Odd that the bill doesn't ban talk of sexuality. Sex talk is ok, just don't discuss sexual orientation.

Reactions: goldmom
I don’t see where this is a requirement.
Did I say it was a requirement? I said that curriculum was being introduced in other parts of the country. That was in response to a post saying it wasn't a problem or necessary.

Meanwhile Evangelical / Catholic Churches will continue to see their numbers decline, especially with the youngest generations and wonder why. It’s going to take a bit more time, but the overreach by the Conservative Christian Taliban trying to exert their minority rule over this country is going to kill both their wing of party and their churches.

I actually looked into it because I wanted to check the source. There are multiple sources reporting this information. Also, they are changing Florida's civics curriculum so it teaches a White Christian Nationalist philosophy.

I looked through a lot of the slides linked in your article. Looks like a history lesson on the founding and ideas of America. You don’t want history being taught to kids?

I looked through a lot of the slides linked in your article. Looks like a history lesson on the founding and ideas of America. You don’t want history being taught to kids?
Agree. I taught social studies and History was my favorite subject when I was in school.
Yes I’m a Catholic school kid and I admit I was surprised to get to college and find that my fellow students from public school were unaware of the overall religious nature of some of the colonies early days. The Mayflower was full of religious refugees...Maryland was founded as a safe colonial haven for Catholics, etc.
The French priests who were explorers in the name of saving souls...
On the other hand no one taught us about how Columbus’s paymaster was a Jew named Capelouto, or how Jews fled persecution by gathering in the New World.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Odd that the bill doesn't ban talk of sexuality. Sex talk is ok, just don't discuss sexual orientation.
Sexual Education has been taught for years under “Health”. Somehow adults have been able to survive without references to sexual orientation one way or another.

telling people to not be who they truly are. crock of shit.
I don't think anyone is saying someone can't be who they are. I believe who you are is not germane to the fact you are a teacher teaching a subject in a school, who you are should have no bearing. It shouldn't matter if you are Jewish, Catholic, gay, straight, male, female or whatever. I have worked for over 35 years and I don't believe I have ever discussed my religion, sexuality, political bent or any other very personal trait to anyone unless we were really close and likely already knew.

I don't think anyone is saying someone can't be who they are. I believe who you are is not germane to the fact you are a teacher teaching a subject in a school, who you are should have no bearing. It shouldn't matter if you are Jewish, Catholic, gay, straight, male, female or whatever. I have worked for over 35 years and I don't believe I have ever discussed my religion, sexuality, political bent or any other very personal trait to anyone unless we were really close and likely already knew.
Exactly. In 2022 - and for YEARS now - it doesn’t matter what your sleeping arrangements are.
Can you do your job?
Are you a reliable co-worker/friend/neighbor?
Why are we allowing social media to tell us how we must “feel and deal”???

Are you a decent human being? Done!

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
I call bullshit.

I'm a parent and one of the things that bothers me the most is the fact that, apparently, teachers are REQUIRED to notify parents if kids come out to them. Most people understand that there are many people kids feel more comfortable discussing certain things with other than their parents. And that's when their is a good relationship in the home.

Kids develop special relationships with their peers and teachers that just aren't the same as what they have with parents. And those relationships are incredibly valuable.

Sexual Education has been taught for years under “Health”. Somehow adults have been able to survive without references to sexual orientation one way or another.

In grades K-3?

I'm a parent and one of the things that bothers me the most is the fact that, apparently, teachers are REQUIRED to notify parents if kids come out to them. Most people understand that there are many people kids feel more comfortable discussing certain things with other than their parents. And that's when their is a good relationship in the home.

Kids develop special relationships with their peers and teachers that just aren't the same as what they have with parents. And those relationships are incredibly valuable.
Only if the student indicates a situation regarding gender I believe.
And there are students caught in a poor home/family situation who do seek out another adult they trust to talk with about lots of things, not just things of a sexual nature.

Nope. Those children are not at an appropriate age yet. Not even in states not named Florida.

So again, it's odd that they singled out sexual orientation discussion as being off limits (aka don't say gay) while leaving sexual discussion as an option.

This.

If this is what schools need to do to be compliant with this shit law, it's disgusting.

Teachers in Orange County, Florida are being told to scrape rainbow stickers off doors and windows, take photos of their families off their desks if they have a same-sex spouse, and are being directed to report if a student comes out as LGBTQ, as Governor Ron DeSantis' "Don't Say Gay" law goes into effect July 1, according to a teachers' organization.

Attorneys for the district held meetings with administrators last week, and "advised principals what behaviors would and would not be legal under the law during a 'Camp Legal' presentation," ABC affiliate WFTV reports.

The Orange County Teachers' Association (CTA) says teachers are also being told they cannot wear rainbows on their clothing, "including lanyards distributed by the district last year." Elementary school teachers are also being told to not even discuss their families if they have a same-sex spouse.

Link
Spouse stuff is ridiculous and unfair.

Do agree they should tone it down on rainbow stuff on school property. (not that the law behind this is right way to get there)

Only if the student indicates a situation regarding gender I believe.
And there are students caught in a poor home/family situation who do seek out another adult they trust to talk with about lots of things, not just things of a sexual nature.
And sometimes it is of that nature. The person you replied to is correct.

Meanwhile Evangelical / Catholic Churches will continue to see their numbers decline, especially with the youngest generations and wonder why. It’s going to take a bit more time, but the overreach by the Conservative Christian Taliban trying to exert their minority rule over this country is going to kill both their wing of party and their churches.
They are well aware of this. It's why they are trying to get this stuff force fed down people's throats in all schools.

Reactions: noleclone2
So again, it's odd that they singled out sexual orientation discussion as being off limits (aka don't say gay) while leaving sexual discussion as an option.
Are we talking K-3 or Sex Ed/Health? I think a good bit of that curriculum is usually focused on reproductive information (Hey y’all this is how humans make babies) rather than how or why we pick our sexual partners.
Maybe a subject for 10th grade Biology rather than middle school health?
I wouldn’t be opposed to it in a high school setting.

You probably should have done more than just look at the pictures.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT