ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers told to remove rainbows, photos of same-sex spouses as DeSantis’ ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law goes into effect

So again, it's odd that they singled out sexual orientation discussion as being off limits (aka don't say gay) while leaving sexual discussion as an option.

Sexual discussion isn’t part of a K3 curriculum, period.

No more Wizard of Oz!?
NEWS_170609855_AR_0_VQNDORLBAYPQ.jpg

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Reactions: lucas80
If this is what schools need to do to be compliant with this shit law, it's disgusting.

Teachers in Orange County, Florida are being told to scrape rainbow stickers off doors and windows, take photos of their families off their desks if they have a same-sex spouse, and are being directed to report if a student comes out as LGBTQ, as Governor Ron DeSantis' "Don't Say Gay" law goes into effect July 1, according to a teachers' organization.

Attorneys for the district held meetings with administrators last week, and "advised principals what behaviors would and would not be legal under the law during a 'Camp Legal' presentation," ABC affiliate WFTV reports.

The Orange County Teachers' Association (CTA) says teachers are also being told they cannot wear rainbows on their clothing, "including lanyards distributed by the district last year." Elementary school teachers are also being told to not even discuss their families if they have a same-sex spouse.

Link
Sounds like dumbass school boards not the law, direct your ire appropriately

I'm a parent and one of the things that bothers me the most is the fact that, apparently, teachers are REQUIRED to notify parents if kids come out to them. Most people understand that there are many people kids feel more comfortable discussing certain things with other than their parents. And that's when their is a good relationship in the home.

Kids develop special relationships with their peers and teachers that just aren't the same as what they have with parents. And those relationships are incredibly valuable.
But how will we parents be able to put our kids in conversion therapy and exorcise the gayness if they only come out to their teachers and classmates?

Reactions: lucas80
You know that's a silly take. They don't NEED to know. But is it OK if they know? Or ist that just too traumatizing for them?
Why is it ok for them to know? If they are in a grocery store and see their teacher holding hands with their same sex partner, that is one thing. If on the other hand the teacher mentions it during a class discussion or even a private discussion with students or a student, that is wrong. That would be done purely to influence those students, to deny that is simply hogwash.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkNester
Why is it ok for them to know? If they are in a grocery store and see their teacher holding hands with their same sex partner, that is one thing. If on the other hand the teacher mentions it during a class discussion or even a private discussion with students or a student, that is wrong. That would be done purely to influence those students, to deny that is simply hogwash.
You’re ridiculous. You think LGBTQ folks spend their days thinking about how to convert people.
Stop the groomer nonsense. Good grief.

Yeah his take is bigoted. It bothers people like him more than it bothers the kids. The adults/parents, like in most schools, are the problem.
The problem are teachers who have an unjustified view of their own worth. You were hired to teach a class, that is all. I guess it makes some feel better about themselves if they can influence the viewpoints of immature children.

Reactions: goldmom

Are you telling me you can't think of any innocuous discussions (or hell, maybe not so innocuous) in the classroom where some personal details would come out? And if so, it's wrong??

That is really a bizarre take.

Are you in favor of installing cameras in classrooms to monitor for such harmful content? JFC, dude.

I couldn’t agree more with the Bible here, because God himself created the rainbow as part of his covenant with all, and I mean all, living creatures of the flesh.

Gay or straight or transgender or black or white or microbe or mammal.

Christian fascists are cherry picking and misreading even the Bible they thump so violently.

The true meaning in the Bible isn’t judgment, but love and love and love.

“This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth” (Genesis 9:8-16, ESV).

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Who here had at least one gay teacher and we all knew it?
My seventh grade teacher was a lesbian but we didn’t realize it until we were all in high school and by then we all knew that our 11th grade English teacher and our 12th grade Pre-cal teacher a were “queer” couple. This was in the 60’s...by the way they were all OUTSTANDING teachers.
Their sexuality was not in the classroom. Ever. It wasn’t relevant. Neither was the sexuality of our heterosexual teachers.
Why is it now?

• Love
Reactions: abby97
The problem are teachers who have an unjustified view of their own worth. You were hired to teach a class, that is all. I guess it makes some feel better about themselves if they can influence the viewpoints of immature children.
You have, once again, shown you know nothing whatsoever about teaching and working with our nation’s kids. You haven’t the first damn clue so STFU and learn. All of your ignorance about education in one little post.

Who here had at least one gay teacher and we all knew it?
My seventh grade teacher was a lesbian but we didn’t realize it until we were all in high school and by then we all knew that our 11th grade English teacher and our 12th grade Pre-cal teacher a were “queer” couple. This was in the 60’s...by the way they were all OUTSTANDING teachers.
Their sexuality was not in the classroom. Ever. It wasn’t relevant. Neither was the sexuality of our heterosexual teachers.
Why is it now?
Were they out of the closet? Times are different. There wasn’t gay marriage back then. There is now. Why does DeSantis have a problem with gay people having pictures of their families on their desks or wall? Or is that only for straight people?

Sexual discussion isn’t part of a K3 curriculum, period.

Shouldn't be but it's not banned. They even rejected a proposal to broaden the bill's language to ban all sexual discussion in K-3 vs just banning anything to do with sexual orientation.

I agree that sexual discussion has no place in K-3 but strangely they allow it.

Reactions: gohawks50
Are we talking K-3 or Sex Ed/Health? I think a good bit of that curriculum is usually focused on reproductive information (Hey y’all this is how humans make babies) rather than how or why we pick our sexual partners.
Maybe a subject for 10th grade Biology rather than middle school health?
I wouldn’t be opposed to it in a high school setting.

We are discussing the bill which bans discussion of sexual orientation in grades K-3. The "don't say gay" bill.

Shouldn't be but it's not banned. They even rejected a proposal to broaden the bill's language to ban all sexual discussion in K-3 vs just banning anything to do with sexual orientation.

I agree that sexual discussion has no place in K-3 but strangely they allow it.
Hmm. Teacher Tightrope Walking for sure.

You have been hired to teach my child a defined educational curriculum involving reading, vocabulary, early mathematical concepts and basic science. At a primary school level.
Period.
As a parent that’s all I require of you. It’s MY job to do the rest.

Maybe we can outfit the teachers with shock collars bluetoothed to a device that measures for forbidden use of phrases?

Reactions: goldmom
You have been hired to teach my child a defined educational curriculum involving reading, vocabulary, early mathematical concepts and basic science. At a primary school level.
Period.
As a parent that’s all I require of you. It’s MY job to do the rest.
That’s no longer the job. I know you can’t stand me but the ONLY time I have discussed anything remotely political was when I DEFENDED the kid wearing Trump socks. I wouldn’t be able to work where I work if I talked politics. It’s a very red area. The most MAGA parents I have like me because their 3 kids love me…why? Because I take interest in their lives and don’t just teach them about throwing and catching. If you really taught you should know teaching is as much about building relationships with kids as it is throwing material at them. Certainly in this day and age when we have to bend over backwards to make sure kids, despite all the obstacles in front of them, learn the things we want them to know.

You taught. You should get this and also know education has changed a ton. We’re responsible for more than just passing on information. I know you have to understand this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT