ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers told to remove rainbows, photos of same-sex spouses as DeSantis’ ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law goes into effect

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
But why? I have to take down pictures of my wife and kids so it’s equitable that gay people can’t have theirs’ up? Do you realize how messed up that is??

So you’re not in favor of everyone regardless of orientation being allowed to put up family photos? Someone said same sex photos were being disallowed. If I’m gay and married and can’t have MY Photos then you can’t either.

So you’re not in favor of everyone regardless of orientation being allowed to put up family photos? Someone said same sex photos were being disallowed. If I’m gay and married and can’t have MY Photos then you can’t either.
Does the law allow straight family photos and disallow same-sex family photos? If so, that’s discrimination.

Does the law allow straight family photos and disallow same-sex family photos? If so, that’s discrimination.
But hetero references, books, and pictures are just "normal." Same-sex references, books, and pictures are indoctrinating and inappropriate for kids in k-3. :rolleyes:

What a silly law, and it seems to have some big flaws. The family picture doesn't sound enforceable under the new law, from my understanding it's being discouraged but would likely be found to be unenforceable unless there's a school policy where all personnel of the school are prohibited from displaying personal photos.

If I was a teacher and a student came to me to discuss matters about their sexuality, there's no way I would "report" that information to anyone. I wouldn't encourage conversations of that type, but I think confidentiality between a student and a teacher is far more important than blowing a whistle on a kid who is questioning their feelings about their sexuality. Good luck to anyone trying to prove a conversation of that nature even took place.

They are doing this in another attempt to dishonestly portray themselves as victims and to declare things about this law that are not true ...or even close to true

Seems very strange that a law saying don't teach sex to kindergarten student through third grade is being portrayed as something other than it is and that teachers would feel the need to have those conversations with kids. All they continue to do is underline the need for the law to anyone with kids and that have common sense

Oh...and sorry teachers you don't get to have secrets with kids. That isn't your role. As of we don't get lots of examples surrounding sex between teachers and students every single year that illustrate that secret keeping between adults and kids is called grooming and ends badly

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
They are doing this in another attempt to dishonestly portray themselves as victims and to declare things about this law that are not true ...or even close to true

Seems very strange that a law saying don't teach sex to kindergarten student through third grade is being portrayed as something other than it is and that teachers would feel the need to have those conversations with kids. All they continue to do is underline the need for the law to anyone with kids and that have common sense

Oh...and sorry teachers you don't get to have secrets with kids. That isn't your role. As of we don't get lots of examples surrounding sex between teachers and students every single year that illustrate that secret keeping between adults and kids is called grooming and ends badly
Let's make a new law that cuts of your penis because you might rape someone.

Reactions: gohawks50

As much as some are overplaying what the law does, many (including you) are underplaying. This is not a ban on teaching "sex" in k-3. No one wants to do that. They merely want to be able to address the reality that not everyone is straight and that "gender" is more difficult than looking down your pants.

Specifically, the law does not say don't teach sex to K-3. The law says that teachers cannot provide "classroom instruction" on "sexual orientation or gender identify" in those grades. That is much broader than "teaching sex." If you read a book containing gay parents instead of straight parents and a kid questions it, the teacher cannot state that some people marry people of the same sex? That's classroom instruction on sexual orientation. If a kid has two moms come to class and a kid asks about it, the teacher cannot explain? That would be classroom instruction on sexual orientation. No one is wanting to teach little kids the idea of sexual activity, the mechanics of sex, or gay sex. That's foolish.

If a student came to me in confidentiality and was worried about physical violence due to parent reaction based on their sexual orientation, you bet your ass that conversation would be kept to only people that could guarantee the safety of that student. And if don’t think this happens often, you’re living a very privileged existence.

That’s no longer the job ... If you really taught you should know teaching is as much about building relationships with kids as it is throwing material at them.
Not trying a "gotcha" moment as I am sure you are representative of the profession at large ...

Why now is relationship building so important? I get taking an interest in a student's progress and being able to spot problems, but neither requires a "relationship" per se. Or at least a kind of equal, two-way street relationship with the teacher sharing whatever about his life.

And it's as important as the material? If you could, please explain further.

Not trying a "gotcha" moment as I am sure you are representative of the profession at large ...

Why now is relationship building so important? I get taking an interest in a student's progress and being able to spot problems, but neither requires a "relationship" per se. Or at least a kind of equal, two-way street relationship with the teacher sharing whatever about his life.

And it's as important as the material? If you could, please explain further.
Because we live in a capitalist system. By definition they’re are going to be winners and losers in that system. Teachers pick up a lot of the slack for parents and families because they have to work multiple jobs or have other complicated situations. Teachers have to build trust in order to create a positive classroom environment for all students to learn.

Because we live in a capitalist system. By definition they’re are going to be winners and losers in that system. Teachers pick up a lot of the slack for parents and families because they have to work multiple jobs or have other complicated situations. Teachers have to build trust in order to create a positive classroom environment for all students to learn.
So they have to be surrogate parents?

And trust? I can see "trusting" a teacher well enough but still not giving AF if I or anyone else learned anything.

Reactions: goldmom
How long ago has that been though? Schools are completely different today.
So I'm gathering.

Guess I'm trying to figure what exactly is the role teachers see themselves in now, what officially is part of their charge, and ultimately from whence these duties arise.

So I'm gathering.

Guess I'm trying to figure what exactly is the role teachers see themselves in now, what officially is part of their charge, and ultimately from whence these duties arise.
Society has changed. I don't think teachers believe they need to play a certain role but too many kids need some type of parental guidance that isn't found at home.

Enrollment up 12%....

That’s apples and oranges. Not saying the nucleus that remains won’t be even more passionate and fervent, but a huge chunk of young Americans are walking away from being active Christians that attend and Give to churches. It’s getting bad at some places including the place I worship. Dwindling Worship numbers. So many are over 60. Very little 30-50. Age 18-30 are a rarity.

Society has changed. I don't think teachers believe they need to play a certain role but too many kids need some type of parental guidance that isn't found at home.
I don't disagree. In fact I agree that society has changed significantly.

Nice effort in many cases trying to fill the void, but blurring the distinction between teacher and parent opens many other cans of worms.

No wonder academic standards are being softened when as much importance is being placed on building relationships and parenting as teaching (if I understood Tom correctly).

I don't disagree. In fact I agree that society has changed significantly.

Nice effort in many cases trying to fill the void, but blurring the distinction between teacher and parent opens many other cans of worms.

No wonder academic standards are being softened when as much importance is being placed on building relationships and parenting as teaching (if I understood Tom correctly).
I guess I don't understand what is wrong with a teacher and students building relationships. I still have great relationships with many teachers that I had from elementary - college.

That’s apples and oranges. Not saying the nucleus that remains won’t be even more passionate and fervent, but a huge chunk of young Americans are walking away from being active Christians that attend and Give to churches. It’s getting bad at some places including the place I worship. Dwindling Worship numbers. So many are over 60. Very little 30-50. Age 18-30 are a rarity.
Have to agree…that’s what I’ve observed as well

I don't think anyone is saying someone can't be who they are. I believe who you are is not germane to the fact you are a teacher teaching a subject in a school, who you are should have no bearing. It shouldn't matter if you are Jewish, Catholic, gay, straight, male, female or whatever. I have worked for over 35 years and I don't believe I have ever discussed my religion, sexuality, political bent or any other very personal trait to anyone unless we were really close and likely already knew.
Russia has had troll farms for 35 years? I did not know that.

Why is it even relevant?
I'm not saying the teacher should come out and say they are gay but what if students inadvertently find out? Let's say the teacher has a picture of their significant other on their desk. Or lets say their SO drops off a bouquet of flowers or something? I remember having that happen in school to teachers.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
I guess I don't understand what is wrong with a teacher and students building relationships. I still have great relationships with many teachers that I had from elementary - college.
Well, just to limit the conversation, I suppose if it happens naturally and is limited in scope ... well that's one thing.

But apparently relationship building now is required with every student, a requirement as important as the curriculum itself. I'm calling BS on that one.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Well, just to limit the conversation, I suppose if it happens naturally and is limited in scope ... well that's one thing.

But apparently relationship building now is required with every student, a requirement as important as the curriculum itself. I'm calling BS on that one.
No. You are thinking that building relationships can't happen while they are being educated. This is very narrow-minded.

What? Have you ever trained anyone at work? Edit: Did you build your relationships with teachers outside of school?

Yes, but I don't think work amongst adults is in anyway comparable to teachers teaching students. I didn't have, K-12, any "relationships" with teachers.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
This is insane. Why is "relationships" in quotes? Have you ever worked in education?
No, as most people.

Actually, this is silly without some hard-and-fast definitions. I mean every teacher has a teacher-student relationship just by virtue of being a teacher. Was told the relationship has expanded. I'm trying to figure out the new parameters. But I get it, purposely vague serves the teachers best.

• Haha
No, as most people.

Actually, this is silly without some hard-and-fast definitions. I mean every teacher has a teacher-student relationship just by virtue of being a teacher. Was told the relationship has expanded. I'm trying to figure out the new parameters. But I get it, purposely vague serves the teachers best.
I understand. You apparently believe that teachers today are grooming kids. I am just not sure what you are talking about otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT