ADVERTISEMENT

Teachers told to remove rainbows, photos of same-sex spouses as DeSantis’ ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law goes into effect

No. You are thinking that building relationships can't happen while they are being educated. This is very narrow-minded.
You're all over the place.

I've answered your questions. Maybe you can answer my original simple question without another question: how does this happen?

Really? So how do you explain the news about teachers in various places having a curriculum for elementary kids that includes sexuality? Do you think there's value in prohibiting something inappropriate before it happens, or do you wait until it happens?

Here's the text of the bill.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF
Yet Republicans voted against extending the wording to all sexual discussion, because apparently teachers need to talk about sex with first graders?

Last edited:
WTF? How is this hard. By being in the classroom with them. Interacting with them. Either you are intentionally obtuse or didn't attend school.
In K-12 we came in, sat our asses down, tried ridiculous shit behind the teacher's back, or generally listened to the lesson. Then, time permitting, started on the homework.

Sure we learned incidental stuff about each other, teacher and students, but nothing raising to the level "relationship building" as Tom put it.

In K-12 we came in, sat our asses down, tried ridiculous shit behind the teacher's back, or generally listened to the lesson. Then, time permitting, started on the homework.

Sure we learned incidental stuff about each other, teacher and students, but nothing raising to the level "relationship building" as Tom put it.
When did you go to school? Are you really old? Your spin on relationship building is odd.

Well, just to limit the conversation, I suppose if it happens naturally and is limited in scope ... well that's one thing.

But apparently relationship building now is required with every student, a requirement as important as the curriculum itself. I'm calling BS on that one.

Yet look at all the degenerates who chime in here when a straight female teacher initiates a “relationship” with a young student. ****ing disgusting double standard.

This is so freaking myopic - "I didn't need no stinkin' relationships in school, nobody else should". So many people like you can only see from their own experience and perspective. Can you not recognize that some kids have a need for an expanded adult relationship to help them grow and prosper? And that a teacher is one of the adults who can fill that role?

JFC

When did you go to school? Are you really old? Your spin on relationship building is odd.
In the 80's and 90's.

I don't have a "spin on relationship building." My original post in this thread was asking Tom what this meant nowadays.

I have my own idea what "relationship" means, of course. So far I guess that includes parent too.

In the 80's and 90's.

I don't have a "spin on relationship building." My original post in this thread was asking Tom what this meant nowadays.

I have my own idea what "relationship" means, of course. So far I guess that includes parent too.
What is YOUR idea of relationship? Does it go straight to sexual?

Reactions: Tom Paris
This is so freaking myopic - "I didn't need no stinkin' relationships in school, nobody else should". So many people like you can only see from their own experience and perspective. Can you not recognize that some kids have a need for an expanded adult relationship to help them grow and prosper? And that a teacher is one of the adults who can fill that role?

JFC
Good Lord.

Bless the teachers who with good intentions try, but poor and absent parenting can not be remedied by a few hours with teach.

Good Lord.

Bless the teachers who with good intentions try, but poor and absent parenting can not be remedied by a few hours with teach.
So they should, instead, choose not to recognize a child's need and remain cold and calculated? WTF?

How many times do we hear how a teacher made a difference in a child's life? You're suggesting, actually demanding, that teachers refrain from any behavior that shows they care about the child and focus solely on the lesson.

That's ****ed up.

Lol, thanks I was afraid to be honest.

Again, this is my original question in this thread as it pertains to teaching.
Relationship doesn't change definitions in your situation. You can just say it is okay for students to like their teacher because of positive interaction with them. What is your def. of relationship?

So they should, instead, choose not to recognize a child's need and remain cold and calculated? WTF?

How many times do we hear how a teacher made a difference in a child's life? You're suggesting, actually demanding, that teachers refrain from any behavior that shows they care about the child and focus solely on the lesson.

That's ****ed up.
You're a really silly emotional type, aren't you?

I said I had several teachers in my elementary schooling who were "caring." Go look it up. You can be extremely caring of someone without having a relationship with them.

You're a really silly emotional type, aren't you?

I said I had several teachers in my elementary schooling who were "caring." Go look it up. You can be extremely caring of someone without having a relationship with them.
Not really. Particularly in a setting like this.

What are you worried about with a teacher having a "relationship" with a student?

Yes, you can have a positive relationship with someone without having a relationship per se with them.

I have a good relationship with my UPS guy, but I don't have a relationship with him in common parlance.

Edit: somehow quoted myself.

Yes, you can have a positive relationship with someone without having a relationship per se with them.

I have a good relationship with my UPS guy, but I don't have a relationship with him in common parlance.
Do you have 2 definitions of relationship? Seriously, this is an abnormal conversation.

Look at you stepping up and admitting that a child can have a relationship with their teacher on par with the delivery man. :rolleyes:

So you’re not in favor of everyone regardless of orientation being allowed to put up family photos? Someone said same sex photos were being disallowed. If I’m gay and married and can’t have MY Photos then you can’t either.
Wait. What? Is that really what you took from that post? I’m a leftie…do you actually think I believe gay people shouldn’t be able to post pictures of their family?

I don't disagree. In fact I agree that society has changed significantly.

Nice effort in many cases trying to fill the void, but blurring the distinction between teacher and parent opens many other cans of worms.

No wonder academic standards are being softened when as much importance is being placed on building relationships and parenting as teaching (if I understood Tom correctly).
Blame the system, not the teachers is the point I’m trying to make.

Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
Do you have 2 definitions of relationship? Seriously, this is an abnormal conversation.
I too am growing tired of the semantics.

I have a lot more than 2 definitions, still trying to figure out the exhausting relationship building process Tom referred to.

Guess I'll just wait till/if he responds. Oh shit, I see he's back ... gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

I too am growing tired of the semantics.

I have a lot more than 2 definitions, still trying to figure out the exhausting relationship building process Tom referred to.

Guess I'll just wait till/if he responds. Oh shit, I see he's back ... gonna have to wait until tomorrow.
We done. You have definitions just won't explain.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I don't disagree. In fact I agree that society has changed significantly.

Nice effort in many cases trying to fill the void, but blurring the distinction between teacher and parent opens many other cans of worms.

No wonder academic standards are being softened when as much importance is being placed on building relationships and parenting as teaching (if I understood Tom correctly).
It seems like you’re trying to make something that’s gross out of my comments.

Let me throw you into a classroom of 10 middle school students with behavioral disorders. You need to teach these kids reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. You will learn on day damn 1 that you better “build relationships” with these kids or your room will go sideways really fast.

In general education now, you can’t just stand in front of a classroom and teach and simply expect the kids to be engaged. Kids need to know you give a damn about them. For example, I have 320 different students. I have to figure out ways to motivate them, especially when I work with struggling kids in math or reading. Other teachers will say, “They never talk back to you.” Yes…because I have built a relationship with the kids since they were 5. They know me and my expectations. They know I care about them but also won’t take any shit.
This fall is going to be a challenge because I have to take on 120 more kids at a second school. The 5th and 6th graders will be tough because I DO NOT have a relationship with them. I will have to be a lot tougher on them, early, because they don’t know me. They won’t have years of trust that I am a safe adult that all my other students have. I hope that makes sense. There’s just so much more that goes into teaching that many think. Especially when behaviors are getting worse and worse and more of them are allowable.

Good Lord.

This is patently false. There are hundreds of teachers and coaches who have saved kids. Here’s one example. About 15 years ago, a 7th grader of mine watched his mom murdered in front of him. My coworker, a couple of weeks later, took him to an Iowa Basketball game, and bought him a new pair of basketball shoes.

Another, my first year teaching…a 6th grade boy of mine had a disgusting case of athletes foot. To this day it is the worst smell I have ever smelled. I bought him a new pair of athletic shoes, 5 pairs of socks, and Desinex out of my own pocket. He would go to the nurse each morning and get a change of socks and spray his feet. Teachers do this stuff, that parents should be handling, for our students, everyday all over this country. Yet we get shit on by ignorant people all the damn time about our jobs.

Why is it ok for them to know? If they are in a grocery store and see their teacher holding hands with their same sex partner, that is one thing. If on the other hand the teacher mentions it during a class discussion or even a private discussion with students or a student, that is wrong. That would be done purely to influence those students, to deny that is simply hogwash.
Like the coach who prayed on the field, correct? You obviously think SCOTUS got that one wrong. He’s obviously trying to influence the kids.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Why is it ok for them to know? If they are in a grocery store and see their teacher holding hands with their same sex partner, that is one thing. If on the other hand the teacher mentions it during a class discussion or even a private discussion with students or a student, that is wrong. That would be done purely to influence those students, to deny that is simply hogwash.
So I should never talk about my wife’s job that applies to my class. Or my wife’s father that has a job directly tied to biological topics we cover in class.
does it bother you that I introduce homologous by using: homo- =same by using a word they know homosexual?

Just hang up this list of words.
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple

Our literalist friends certainly can't argue with a simple list of colors? Of course they'll scream "we know what you actually meant. No shit, Brandon. Now all of the sudden you understand intent and context?

Oh that's a transparent technicality? Bunch of disingenuous assholes the lot of em.

ADVERTISEMENT