ADVERTISEMENT

Team Leader

sdvike

HR MVP
Feb 23, 2016
With Lee out, do we need one of our other guys to step up and be that team leader? I dont see the bench going wild anymore, other than maybe Matthews at home meets. We have alot of quiet leaders that just want to win and go home but no one that fires people up pre match and post match. They seem to talk more about how cool their teamates are. Much of this is coaches job but its nice to have that team leader too. Desanto or Kem would be good leaders just based on what they do on the mat.

Reactions: Gobblin
With Lee out, do we need one of our other guys to step up and be that team leader? I dont see the bench going wild anymore, other than maybe Matthews at home meets. We have alot of quiet leaders that just want to win and go home but no one that fires people up pre match and post match. They seem to talk more about how cool their teamates are. Much of this is coaches job but its nice to have that team leader too. Desanto or Kem would be good leaders just based on what they do on the mat.
Personally I love ADS but he obviously has issues that make him a lead by example guy. Love the way he wrestles and Wish the rest of the team wrestled like he does. They are almost all capable but they choose not to.

Guys like him are just wound too tight for the current sports world. He would have been a helluva fit with the old Gable teams.

Reactions: Spoons and Gobblin
With Lee out, do we need one of our other guys to step up and be that team leader? I dont see the bench going wild anymore, other than maybe Matthews at home meets. We have alot of quiet leaders that just want to win and go home but no one that fires people up pre match and post match. They seem to talk more about how cool their teamates are. Much of this is coaches job but its nice to have that team leader too. Desanto or Kem would be good leaders just based on what they do on the mat
His name is Grandpa Mike. He’s the undoubted team leader and Ayala has set a real high bar with his work ethic. Drake is already a phenomenal silent leader in the room also. This team is full of leaders and just because Spencer isn’t competing doesn’t mean he isn’t still leading.

Will Lee be on the bench next Friday? Would be a great motivator for the good guys.

Magic 8 Ball says yes
signs_point.jpg

Really hard to have the bench into it on the road. Can only travel with 15, 1 of which is on the mat, the next 2-3 are warming up, and the previous 2-3 are cooling off after their matches. Being at home changes that a lot. Charles Matthews and Leif Schroeder get the bench lit!

I agree with slush. It's not just the guy that wins matches. It's the guys that grind it out, always get up when they're put down, and never lose sight. In the fog of war, you always look for the calmest guy in the room and you follow him. With Lee out as a role model, I think Kem will lead by example as well as anyone, win or lose.

Spencer has always said he is not a team leader. He says that role has been Kemerer’s.

Spencer is an unassuming guy who just leads by example. He is not vocal.

I was at the duel yesterday and had seats right behind the Iowa bench. I live in Columbus and have never been to Carver (I am hoping to come out next year!) and have only watched Iowa wrestle in person one other time and that was in a larger venue. It was fascinating to watch the team behind the scenes so to speak. I was right by the tunnel and could see in side a bit and got a good glimpse of what our guys go through pre and post match. It was a very unique experience for me as a fan. Eierman really impressed me as it seems he did a lot of little things to be a good teammate/ leader. I saw him make a point to talk to both Drake and Marinelli after their matches. He helped Warner with his gear post match. He seemed to keep the mood light on the bench and even interacted with some children on the floor. He appeared to be very active with the team all night.

I have never been a die hard fan of any team in any sport except for the Hawkeye wrestling team. I know it will be tough, but I really hope our guys can find a way to stay on top. Either way I look forward to watching this team in March and beyond. Every thing I saw yesterday made me appreciate our guys and the coaching staff even more.

All of them lead by example. Everyone works hard. Lee wasn't a vocal leader at all. When something has to be said Marinelli and Eierman have no problem speaking up.
Maybe they don't need a reverse mortgage and resent the hard sell.

Reactions: el dub
All of them lead by example. Everyone works hard. Lee wasn't a vocal leader at all. When something has to be said Marinelli and Eierman have no problem speaking up.
Bull was the first real vocal leader letting guys know if they weren't putting in the work. Now there are several really good leaders.

Reactions: Grip220
“I’m the captain now’”
-Ayala
I keed. It’s kem, bull and jaydin, for sure. I think Warner probably quietly directs too as far as wrestlers go and Spencer will be there rooting for everyone especially Ayala, much like he did desanto at dapper Dan after losing in the state finals. Think PK will be that big time leader for years to come, though.

I was at the duel yesterday and had seats right behind the Iowa bench. I live in Columbus and have never been to Carver (I am hoping to come out next year!) and have only watched Iowa wrestle in person one other time and that was in a larger venue. It was fascinating to watch the team behind the scenes so to speak. I was right by the tunnel and could see in side a bit and got a good glimpse of what our guys go through pre and post match. It was a very unique experience for me as a fan. Eierman really impressed me as it seems he did a lot of little things to be a good teammate/ leader. I saw him make a point to talk to both Drake and Marinelli after their matches. He helped Warner with his gear post match. He seemed to keep the mood light on the bench and even interacted with some children on the floor. He appeared to be very active with the team all night.

I have never been a die hard fan of any team in any sport except for the Hawkeye wrestling team. I know it will be tough, but I really hope our guys can find a way to stay on top. Either way I look forward to watching this team in March and beyond. Every thing I saw yesterday made me appreciate our guys and the coaching staff even more.
I live in Columbus too, but have been to Carver for a few duals and the big ten tourney over the years. Do what you can to get to Carver. It's worth it. I know there are other Hawk fans here in Central Ohio - we ought to all get together for watch parties and such.

Reactions: Boro407 and ping72
Marinelli has been the leader of the team since his redshirt freshman season IMO.
When he's gone next year, Drake will be a leader by example guy while he redshirts, then takes on the face of program for the following 3 years. He is a special cat when it comes to the leader stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT