ADVERTISEMENT

Team USA Men’s Basketball 2024

RagnarLothbrok

HB Heisman
Apr 4, 2023
How would you rate the talent on this team to the 1992 Dream Team and others?

IMO, this version of the USA basketball team has the most depth and talent I have seen in a long time.

Reactions: nelly02
gettyimages-964627194.jpg

Other national teams practice and play together than the US team. I'm just not very confident. If I'm wrong, call me out and I will post a USA HANDPIC

This team is old AF. Lebron, AD, KD, and Steph are way past their primes.

Tatum, Booker, Edward’s, and Embiid are all exceptional players. They ain’t prime Mike with the cast he had around him.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill

Tatum, Booker, Edward’s, and Embiid are all exceptional players. They ain’t prime Mike with the cast he had around him.
Davis has played much better than Embiid in the three tuneup games. He is far from "old AF."

Anyone that thinks this team is even close to the 92 team is clearly someone younger, and that is fine. They didn't see those players. 92 team would beat this team by 30

92 was better but this team isn't terribly far off. The problem is the rest of the world has caught up and it will depend if this team gels or not. 92 was a cake walk and if this team had similar competition they would do similar things.

1992 beats any team ever organized in a 7 game series.
Maybe.

But the 2024 would give them a run for their money, especially with Bird and Magic both past their prime. I think the perception of that team is also inflated because the rest of the world was so inferior at that time.

The key is to figure out which groups of players work really well together. And Kerr needs to make it clear that anyone who just wants to pound the ball instead of moving it and moving without the ball or play half-assed defense will sit. This isn't an All-Star game.

Most other countries have one to three star players that need to be on the floor 90% of the time. Team USA needs to rotate guys to dog them defensively and attack them on the other end to force them to play defense.

Reactions: fivecardstud14
Maybe.

But the 2024 would give them a run for their money, especially with Bird and Magic both past their prime. I think the perception of that team is also inflated because the rest of the world was so inferior at that time.
I think the thing that tips the scales is Michael Jordan. IMO, he was the greatest COMPETITIVE athlete of all time and wouldn't allow his team to lose.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
The key is to figure out which groups of players work really well together. And Kerr needs to make it clear that anyone who just wants to pound the ball instead of moving it and moving without the ball or play half-assed defense will sit. This isn't an All-Star game.

Most other countries have one to three star players that need to be on the floor 90% of the time. Team USA needs to rotate guys to dog them defensively and attack them on the other end to force them to play defense.
The USA is so much deeper than anyone else. There will probably be multiple games where the starters go +/- zero then the bench comes in & goes on a 12-4 run.

I'm not the old man yelling at the cloud. I'm 45. The 92 team's talent was beyond absurd. Further, they played in a time of more professionalism than today's players.

I'm sorry, it would not be close.

I'm not the old man yelling at the cloud. I'm 45. The 92 team's talent was beyond absurd. Further, they played in a time of more professionalism than today's players.

I'm sorry, it would not be close.
I remember the Dream Team. I am about your age. IIRC, they lost to a team of college players behind closed doors.

I am not as convinced as you are that the ‘92 team would completely dominate. I think they would most likely win a 7-game series, but I believe it would be more competitive than you think. The ‘92 team’s starting 5 would be superior to any lineup the 2024 team could put out, without question, but the one equalizer the 2024 team would have is 3-point shooting and better depth.

I think it’s pretty close.

I remember the Dream Team. I am about your age. IIRC, they lost to a team of college players behind closed doors.

I am not as convinced as you are that the ‘92 team would completely dominate. I think they would most likely win a 7-game series, but I believe it would be more competitive than you think. The ‘92 team’s starting 5 would be superior to any lineup the 2024 team could put out, without question, but the one equalizer the 2024 team would have is 3-point shooting and better depth.

I think it’s pretty close.

Best part. We'll never know

Most of the Dream Team was in their prime. This year's team not so much.

Time and culture can not be ignored. Players then were players. Today they are players, social media folks, super more worried about is being said about them online than Jordan, Bird, Magic, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Malone, Stockman, reading shit in the paper the nex day.

Just look at how much NBA players bitch about everything now. You didn't hear that as much back then.

It wouldn't be close

Reactions: SA_Hawk
Reactions: SA_Hawk
I can’t root for Kevin Durant and Lebron. I’m on Team Bahamas. ETA: dang, just saw they narrowly missed in qualifying. Liked their roster. Fun group.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT