ADVERTISEMENT

Teams left on Iowa's schedule have a combined 2-10 conference record

And those 2 victories are over other teams on the schedule; Northwestern over Minnesota and Minnesota over Purdue.

Their combined overall record is 18-18.

True. But both Purdue and Indiana matched up with MSU and OSU for a full game, before losing by just FG (Purdue) and a TD (Indiana). The teams left on the schedule are inconsistent performers, but they can still put out a game or two of pretty decent FB.

Makes me wonder if an undefeated Hawkeye team would make the playoffs

Almost certainly would, because it's practically a the guaranteed spot.

However, an Iowa team that lost the BT championship game and ended the regular season with one loss COULD miss out on one of the major bowls and get passed over by a BT East division team with 1 or 2 losses. 2 losses (including the championship) and Iowa probably would fall to 2nd-tier bowl games, due to the weaker schedule.

Almost certainly would, because it's practically a the guaranteed spot.

However, an Iowa team that lost the BT championship game and ended the regular season with one loss COULD miss out on one of the major bowls and get passed over by a BT East division team with 1 or 2 losses. 2 losses (including the championship) and Iowa probably would fall to 2nd-tier bowl games, due to the weaker schedule.
True, but does it really matter? The bowl system is pretty much a joke anymore. What difference does it make if you're playing in the rose or the cap one bowl anymore? Very little imo.

With the injuries the Hawks have records of our opponents mean nothing. I like how this team is fighting and competing but we need to get healthy to make a real run.

True, but does it really matter? The bowl system is pretty much a joke anymore. What difference does it make if you're playing in the rose or the cap one bowl anymore? Very little imo.

Prestige, recruiting. But moneywise, it's all pooled within the conference, so basically it is a push.

With the injuries the Hawks have records of our opponents mean nothing. I like how this team is fighting and competing but we need to get healthy to make a real run.

We definitely need Daniels back from his ankle to provide backup for Canzeri. JC has been an unexpected bright spot to this season, but not sure he can hold up the entire year carrying the whole RB workload. I'm unconvinced that Wadley is ready yet, from a ball-security AND blocking perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT