ADVERTISEMENT

Teams will resume search for girl in Raccoon River

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Des Moines police dive team will resume searching for an 11-year-old girl who hasn’t been seen since she got off an inflatable raft in the Raccoon River.

Police say officers and firefighters were called to the river just before 6 p.m. Wednesday to check a report of a child who fell into the water.

They learned the girl had been in the raft with two other children when she got off, went underwater and didn’t resurface.

The city’s fire department water emergency team searched the river and banks without success, and the police dive team responded.

Advertisement

They didn’t find the girl and searchers were resuming their efforts Thursday morning.

• Sad
Reactions: Joes Place
What are the conditions like in the river? I saw that someone went missing in the Cedar at Palisades Kepler. The Cedar seemed high when I drove over it on Sunday. It didn't look like a river I would want to be in. A couple of the storms last week dumped 4 inches of rain, and I imagine there is debris, and some tricky currents in the rivers.

Reactions: cigaretteman
What are the conditions like in the river? I saw that someone went missing in the Cedar at Palisades Kepler. The Cedar seemed high when I drove over it on Sunday. It didn't look like a river I would want to be in. A couple of the storms last week dumped 4 inches of rain, and I imagine there is debris, and some tricky currents in the rivers.
I’ve read/ heard that the Cedar River around Palisades is very dangerous due to undercurrents.

Reactions: lucas80
I’ve read/ heard that the Cedar River around Palisades is very dangerous due to undercurrents.
Over the years several people have drowned in that area. It's a popular area, so, more chances, but, yeah, it's got some twists to it, and there always seems to be a lot of debris.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT