ADVERTISEMENT

Teasdale

The deal is that your clock starts when you enroll in school. If this year did not count (as in he was not considered enrolled), then his clock would start next year. You are given a 1 year grace period of not going to school out of high school where your clock does not start. If he was on a mission or in the armed forces, then his clock starts when he gets out of that.
If Cael is trying to get it so his clock has not started, then it is a pretty decent thing of him to do.

Reactions: PSU197276
Penn state fans only see what Cael sees and he is their God no sense to try to change them waste of time.

Problem is, They are always here. What their infatuation with our board is i have no idea. They come over here and troll, then get butthurt when nobody cares what they say. Even the ones who come over here and act like they just want to have a conversation go back to BWI and talk crap as well. Truly the most attention craved people i have ever seen. It's not enough to stroke each other off on their own board, they have to come here looking for validation too.

We don't know the extent of his injury. He never had surgery for either of those season's injuries (unless someone can prove me wrong on that).

The precedent has now been set. If you aren't going to be the starter come Nationals. An injury shirt is now an option. Who is arbitrating on what level of injury qualifies?

Every athlete could be "too injured" to compete. Look at the fiasco of guys FFing out of the backside of brackets.

You don't see how this could be problematic?

We are working with incomplete information.

We know that Shak wrestled two events that year. The first one (the Keystone Classic) was when he, by all appearances, won the spot by beating Morelli in the finals. He wrestled the next dual meet. Then he stopped wrestling all together for the year, at which point Morelli took over the spot. Then, about 6 weeks later, Hall's redshirt was pulled.

If you want to say that the whole thing was orchestrated so that Shak could preserve a year of eligibility in the future, you can. I think that's pretty ridiculous and doesn't align with the facts, but maybe that's just me.

But you're right. At some level, we are trusting someone associated with the team (wrestler, coach, trainer, doctor) to determine what is and isn't "injured". But there's nothing new about that. So, it's not "the precedent has now been set". It's "the precedent was already set".

A guy got injured part way through a year and stopped wrestling. Eventually, he applied for an additional year. This has happened before and it will happen again. Nothing is new or establishing a new precedent here.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Problem is, They are always here. What their infatuation with our board is i have no idea. They come over here and troll, then get butthurt when nobody cares what they say. Even the ones who come over here and act like they just want to have a conversation go back to BWI and talk crap as well. Truly the most attention craved people i have ever seen. It's not enough to stroke each other off on their own board, they have to come here looking for validation too.

They are out to right the wrongs in the world. Just stop any and all hints that anything is less than perfect in Pleasantville Valley. They feel that Cael’s feces is non odiferous even though there may be a hint of stench to it at times.

You're off here.

This is new and new precedents are being sent.

Extra years granted for injury is a recent occurrence. It used to be the very rare exception for extreme circumstances. Now they're bring granted much more liberally.

But nothing new is being set with Shak's case. Or am I wrong there too?

What is different between Shak's case and, say, Christian Pagdilao's case?

Look. If you want to say that wrestlers that are sitting out because of injury aren't actually injured (and if you're questioning the legitimacy of Shak's additional year, that's exactly what you are doing), there really isn't much of a response. It's not like you've based that on any actual information, so there isn't really anything to point to refute it.

In general, I'm inclined to give a wrestler sitting out the benefit of the doubt (and not automatically assume they're lying), whether it's a guy who wrestles for a team I cheer for or a certain defending national champion for a rival team.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
But nothing new is being set with Shak's case. Or am I wrong there too?

What is different between Shak's case and, say, Christian Pagdilao's case?

Look. If you want to say that wrestlers that are sitting out because of injury aren't actually injured (and if you're questioning the legitimacy of Shak's additional year, that's exactly what you are doing), there really isn't much of a response. It's not like you've based that on any actual information, so there isn't really anything to point to refute it.

In general, I'm inclined to give a wrestler sitting out the benefit of the doubt (and not automatically assume they're lying), whether it's a guy who wrestles for a team I cheer for or a certain defending national champion for a rival team.

The only new aspect is that it involves a Penn State wrestler so the discussion goes from how the NCAA has made it easier for all wrestlers to get a 6th year to a grand conspiracy that was planned out from Rasheed's redshirt year on. Eventually an Iowa wrestler in a similar situation will apply for a 6th year and the discussion will be about how it would be a travesty of justice if he didn't get it.

Last edited:
According to the people on BWI Cael was working his magic so that his first semester of enrollment didn't exist. Seemed like a stretch then but wouldn't surprise me PSU found a way.

That's one option, the other is that they apply for the injury shirt once Teasdale is a senior and if Rasheed got one I don't see why Teasdale wouldn't.

Millboy and wartburg always had a way with that.

The only new aspect is that it involves a Penn State wrestler so the discussion goes from how the NCAA has made it easier for all wrestlers to get a 6th year to a grand conspiracy that was planned out from Rasheed's redshirt year on. Eventually an Iowa wrestler in a similar situation will apply for a 6th year and the discussion will be about how it would be a travesty of justice if he didn't get it.

For me, and probably many other Hawkeye fans, its not just Rasheed's 6th year. Which may come as a shock to you, but it comes down to Drew Ott (Hawkeye DL). He had a good case, but was turned down a 6th year for actual medical issues that caused him to have surgery. Then the NCAA, that same spring, allowed a QB to transfer and gave extra eligibility because he had a coaching change. Ferentz, continues to be upset about this because in recent years they are being given out to almost anyone, like Rasheed.

So you agree Teasdale should be granted an extra year for having to miss last season for medical purposes then right?
The question with Teasdale is, has his clock started. If not, he will have 5 years to get in 4, starting next year. If his clock has started, he may be able to get a 6th year if he has an injury somewhere down the road that knocks him out for a season.

For me, and probably many other Hawkeye fans, its not just Rasheed's 6th year. Which may come as a shock to you, but it comes down to Drew Ott (Hawkeye DL). He had a good case, but was turned down a 6th year for actual medical issues that caused him to have surgery. Then the NCAA, that same spring, allowed a QB to transfer and gave extra eligibility because he had a coaching change. Ferentz, continues to be upset about this because in recent years they are being given out to almost anyone, like Rasheed.

Drew Ott was trying to get a fifth year. He never redshirted.

There will be no aspersions cast in the direction of Pleasantville Valley. Any hint of doing so will be attacked by the faithful followers.

So you agree Teasdale should be granted an extra year for having to miss last season for medical purposes then right?

That doesn't make sense. No one gets granted a 6th year because they didn't wrestle their first year on campus. That, actually, would set one of those new precedents that you seem so worried about.

In general though, I have no problem with guys being granted a 6th year if they've missed significant portions (as in only wrestling one or two competitions) of 2 seasons.

There will be no aspersions cast in the direction of Pleasantville Valley. Any hint of doing so will be attacked by the faithful followers.

And I want to know what they are saying on the private forum about PSU.... I have that right....

It's all the same. The precedent has been set and now going forward they are going to have a hard time denying 6th years to guys. You essentially have a second redshirt year to use. Let's say next year Gavin can't make the lineup. What's to stop him from saying he has back pain or a tweaked knee/shoulder and can't compete. While in reality it being due to him not having a starting spot. Why wrestle a year as a backup and go to the Luther and UNI open when instead you could just say you're not healthy and have a second redshirt season so that down the road you'll have 1 more year as a starter.

So you're back to this? Just accusing wrestlers (based on absolutely nothing) of faking or lying about injuries in a multi-season strategy to gain an extra year of eligibility?

Ok. Fine. There's nothing I or anyone else can say to refute what amounts to "yeah...but they could be lying" when you're presented with what actually happened.

And I want to know what they are saying on the private forum about PSU.... I have that right....

If that's a dig at my question in the other thread, please know that wasn't the reason I asked it.

It's all the same. The precedent has been set and now going forward they are going to have a hard time denying 6th years to guys. You essentially have a second redshirt year to use. Let's say next year Gavin can't make the lineup. What's to stop him from saying he has back pain or a tweaked knee/shoulder and can't compete. While in reality it being due to him not having a starting spot. Why wrestle a year as a backup and go to the Luther and UNI open when instead you could just say you're not healthy and have a second redshirt season so that down the road you'll have 1 more year as a starter.

One reason that sort of scenario might not happen is that the wrestler has to provide medical documentation substantiating the claim he was physically unable to wrestle. A fabrication like what you suggest would require a doctor to lie and most likely a head coach to be on board with the lie.

Wait a minute . . . that sounds just like something Bad Carl would do. You could be onto something -- but it wouldn't work for your Teasdale scenario, because he no longer has a coach like that.

Why is there a clock at all, beyond official competition? As long as they remain an “amateur”, and are enrolled and academically successful, why should we care if someone in their 11th year of a program finally cracks the lineup? It’s not like it would happen that much more than now. It would still be 4 years of competition. Medical waivers could still be granted if injured early in a season. That waiver could still be abused.

I’m all for 28 year olds willing to be in college and get whipped in wrestling.

The doctor doesn't have to lie.

You go to to the doctor and say I had back pain, I had shoulder pain, etc. The doctor can provide documentation that you're in pain and unable to compete even if all of the tests are negative.

This would be especially easy in circumstances where a guy had surgery previously, and recovered but we're beat out for their spot. All of the sudden that injury flared up again and instead of wrestling random opens, they take the year off and then when they're 6th year rolls around, they know there is a good chance they could get an extra year because of injury in previous seasons.

Meanwhile, if they were the starter in a previous season, they wouldn't have been sitting out of competitions because in reality the injury wasn't that significant.

Wrestlers are constantly dealing with nagging injuries. It doesn't require an immoral doctor to pull off.

Not accusing Rasheed. I don't know his situation. I just know that this loophole is now an option.

I'm speechless.

A couple of notes. When Rasheed sat out the granting of extra years wasn’t prevalent or was just beginning. A risky move at the time but he wasn’t going to crack the lineup. That being said finding a Dr who is friendly to the program or team isn’t that hard to find. I have known a Dr and a trainer re assigned from a major program due to their conservative nature of treating injuries and holding kids out longer than the coach wanted. It can be found and it can be done without lying. Do you know how much scrutiny the medical records go through on the review?

A couple of notes. When Rasheed sat out the granting of extra years wasn’t prevalent or was just beginning. A risky move at the time but he wasn’t going to crack the lineup. That being said finding a Dr who is friendly to the program or team isn’t that hard to find. I have known a Dr and a trainer re assigned from a major program due to their conservative nature of treating injuries and holding kids out longer than the coach wanted. It can be found and it can be done without lying. Do you know how much scrutiny the medical records go through on the review?

But he did crack the lineup. Then there was a medical issue that made him unable to compete. Then Morelli wrestled for 6 weeks. Then Hall's redshirt was pulled. This is what actually happened.

If the plan all along was to have Hall wrestle, why have Shak wrestle at all? Why didn't Hall start right away, as Carl has done with some true freshman both before (Zain) and after (RBY)? Why didn't Hall take over as soon as Shak couldn't wrestle?

This is the disconnect. Some of you state that Shak couldn't crack the lineup as if that is established fact. It is not. That is just what you've decided is true.

Also, consider how Cael has treated Shak since. This is not a guy Cael is eager to sit. He started Shak at Nationals the next year, and sat Cassar, who had just beaten the #1 at the weight (and would go on to win a national title the next year). Obviously, Cael has a fairly high opinion of Shak.

I know none of what I just typed matters. You "know" what is true, regardless of what actually happened. You can't reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned into.

But he did crack the lineup. Then there was a medical issue that made him unable to compete. Then Morelli wrestled for 6 weeks. Then Hall's redshirt was pulled. This is what actually happened.

If the plan all along was to have Hall wrestle, why have Shak wrestle at all? Why didn't Hall start right away, as Carl has done with some true freshman both before (Zain) and after (RBY)? Why didn't Hall take over as soon as Shak couldn't wrestle?

This is the disconnect. Some of you state that Shak couldn't crack the lineup as if that is established fact. It is not. That is just what you've decided is true.

Also, consider how Cael has treated Shak since. This is not a guy Cael is eager to sit. He started Shak at Nationals the next year, and sat Cassar, who had just beaten the #1 at the weight (and would go on to win a national title the next year). Obviously, Cael has a fairly high opinion of Shak.

I know none of what I just typed matters. You "know" what is true, regardless of what actually happened. You can't reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned into.

So why try? Arguing your case for PSU here is not going to get you far, yet you guys come here time after time spouting off about stuff that is either combative, or that we just don't care about, and then act surprised at the reaction you get. We do not flood BWI with posters, why you guys constantly are here is beyond me. We are here to talk about Iowa wrestling, not PSU.

That's right, 5th year, I apologize. I still stand by it though, had this happened in 2018-2019, I feel he would have gotten his extra year.

I pointed that out because I think it’s even crazier that he couldn’t get a fifth year, yet they hand out sixth years like they’re candy now.

The isu qb got a sixth year because he wasn’t good enough to play and transferred two times.

so you can ONLY IMAGINE what i go through living 20 miles from The MAIN HIVE at PSU ...Land of Fun

Always good that you pick the sliver of a post that may be disparaging to Pleasantville Valley. It is par for the course and a darn near perfect example of the disconnect when the defenders of all that is Right, Just and Caely come over here to protect their honor. It wasn't meant as a knock on the program. I have found that in today's world if you look for reasons to be offended you will find them. My post was 90% about the other aspects and if you re-read it actually puts into question the theory that they held him out for the purpose of getting an extra year. But you chose not to even acknowledge that part. Keep fighting.

Reactions: DirkTang1
So why try? Arguing your case for PSU here is not going to get you far, yet you guys come here time after time spouting off about stuff that is either combative, or that we just don't care about, and then act surprised at the reaction you get. We do not flood BWI with posters, why you guys constantly are here is beyond me. We are here to talk about Iowa wrestling, not PSU.

Well here is some truth about this thread:

• The first poster to talk about Cael or PSU was Vodka -- in posts #9 and #10, swiping at Cael and Rasheed.

• In post #37, Descat mentions Cael in a tangential way to give credit to Teasdale. [Count that as you wish -- I don't see the comment as Cael/-centric, fwiw.]

• Hawkster03 then swipes at PSU in post #41.

• Bman546 asks a legit question with Teasdale's time at PSU as a frame of reference in post #43. In the subsequent post, Vodka reiterates his swipe at Cael, and again brings up Rasheed.

• Post #45, ss7, the first PSU fan to respond to the PSU talk, then asks Vodka to clarify his position.

• Post #47, Vodka replies we don't know the extent of Rasheed's injury, and his getting a 6th year sets a new precedent and implies that guys who are not starters in a given year can now just claim unsubstantiated injury to get a 6th year.

• Post #48, minnhawkeye swipes at PSU fans.

• Post #49, you swipe at PSU fans.

Get the picture, yet? It's how it usually happens here.

And how often do you actually talk Iowa wrestling? Seems like you post about PSU fans more.

Well here is some truth about this thread:

• The first poster to talk about Cael or PSU was Vodka -- in posts #9 and #10, swiping at Cael and Rasheed.

• In post #37, Descat mentions Cael in a tangential way to give credit to Teasdale. [Count that as you wish -- I don't see the comment as Cael/-centric, fwiw.]

• Hawkster03 then swipes at PSU in post #41.

• Bman546 asks a legit question with Teasdale's time at PSU as a frame of reference in post #43. In the subsequent post, Vodka reiterates his swipe at Cael, and again brings up Rasheed.

• Post #45, ss7, the first PSU fan to respond to the PSU talk, then asks Vodka to clarify his position.

• Post #47, Vodka replies we don't know the extent of Rasheed's injury, and his getting a 6th year sets a new precedent and implies that guys who are not starters in a given year can now just claim unsubstantiated injury to get a 6th year.

• Post #48, minnhawkeye swipes at PSU fans.

• Post #49, you swipe at PSU fans.

Get the picture, yet? It's how it usually happens here.

And how often do you actually talk Iowa wrestling? Seems like you post about PSU fans more.
You need a job, a hobby, or maybe just need to get laid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT