ADVERTISEMENT

Telford hired as coach

Brands Announces Changes to Hawkeye Coaching Staff

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa head wrestling coach Tom Brands announced Friday that former Hawkeye All-American Bobby Telford has joined the coaching staff as volunteer assistant coach.

Telford fills a position previously occupied by Ben Berhow. Berhow is transitioning to a coaching and administrative role with the Hawkeye Wrestling Club.

Telford has been a member of the HWC since graduating in 2015. He was an All-American for the Hawkeyes in 2012, 2014, and 2015, and completed his career with an overall record of 108-27 while wrestling at 285 pounds.

He has competed in a number of international tournaments on the senior circuit, and as of last April, was the No. 5 ranked heavyweight in the United States. He is taking an indefinite leave from competition to focus his attention on his new position on the Hawkeye coaching staff.

“I’m fired up to get started,” Telford said. “I’ve wanted nothing but the absolute best for this team and the people in this program since arriving in Iowa City in 2011. This is an opportunity afforded to very few people, and I want to thank Tom, Terry (Brands), and (Ryan) Morningstar for giving me the chance to continue our pursuit of NCAA and World Championships.”

Berhow joined the Hawkeye staff in 2013, working primarily with the upper weights. In his five seasons in the corner, Iowa crowned 28 All-Americans, including current HWC members Sammy Brooks, Nathan Burak, Cory Clark, Thomas Gilman, Alex Meyer, and Brandon Sorensen.

“This is a step forward for me,” Berhow said. “This transition allows me to maintain a role inside the Hawkeye program while balancing some personal interests outside of the wrestling room. I am embracing the challenges of both and looking forward to the year ahead.”

Telford is the second coach Brands has added to the staff this summer. Quinn Hollan was named strength and conditioning coach on Aug. 10.

“We had two experienced heavyweights in our room yesterday and we’ll have two experienced heavyweights in our room tomorrow,” Brands said. “They’re both in positions that fit them professionally, and they’re both aware of the expectations demanded by their new roles. That’s a good thing, because we have a lot of horsepower on our roster and we need everyone on board.”

Getting much STRONGER up at the Heavy weights to go alone with complete dominance of the lower weights!!!

While we are loading up, would I be asking too much for another stud volunteer coach in the middle weights:)

Reactions: Grip220
Great addition. Also love that Ben is staying with the HWC. As Tom said, both guys have been in the room and both will continue to be in the room, so practically speaking not a huge change, but Ben is a super dude. Glad he’s still in the picture.

Just in case, if you’re going to Fry Fest and didn’t already know, Ben will have a booth for his BBQ business. I HIGHLY recommend having lunch there. Dude is a phenomenal cook, and you will absolutely not be disappointed. Plus, it’s a great chance for wrestling fans to support his business.

Getting much STRONGER up at the Heavy weights to go alone with complete dominance of the lower weights!!!

While we are loading up, would I be asking too much for another stud volunteer coach in the middle weights:)

Yes, that would be asking too much. NCAA rules limit the number of coaches, so to add one, we would be losing another.

Reactions: Wink8 and Grip220
Great for Telford, always though berhow was one of the best heavy coaches in the country

We aren't loading up. Both guys have been in the room for several years. And yes it is asking too much as NCAA rules allow for just one volunteer assistant. Maybe just stick to pumping iron.

We aren't loading up. Both guys have been in the room for several years. And yes it is asking too much as NCAA rules allow for just one volunteer assistant. Maybe just stick to pumping iron.
The Hawks can have as many coaches as they want/can afford using the HWC and/or administration roles with the college program. I think the Gophers had a handful of admin assistants after the Dardanes graduated.

If willing the limits of all programs are only constrained by money and imagination.

Telford has an infectious passion for wrestling and Iowa. Very happy to see him staying with the program. Huge asset
Very true. The guy is enthusiasm personified and absolutely LOVES Iowa wrestling. If you get him started talking Iowa wrestling, you’d better have some time to spare, because he’s going to talk for a while. If I’m a recruit, I’ll be asking where to sign after about 5 minutes of hearing Bobby gush about the program.

You just said he was already part of the team so how did YOU of all people did not see this coming were you not watching. Do you actually pay attention or do you just get off on condensention.

Ummmm. What?

The Hawks can have as many coaches as they want/can afford using the HWC and/or administration roles with the college program. I think the Gophers had a handful of admin assistants after the Dardanes graduated.

If willing the limits of all programs are only constrained by money and imagination.
No Say it is not so the HR police wrong again No way...

Pretty cool. Didn't see that one coming.
Ummmm. What?
You want it spelled out for you? Did you see Bobby in a dominate coaching roll only second to M* at the summer tourneys or were you not paying attention?

You want it spelled out for you? Did you see Bobby in a dominate coaching roll only second to M* at the summer tourneys or were you not paying attention?

Uh, he's been helping coach the guys for some time now. Other guys have, too. That doesn't directly translate to joining the college staff.

Worst. Troll. Ever.

Uh, he's been helping coach the guys for some time now. Other guys have, too. That doesn't directly translate to joining the college staff.

Worst. Troll. Ever.
You again prove my point, thanks.
As far as being a troll, you my good man constantly attacking even loyal Hawk fans with your condescension defines a TROLL...

Last edited:
As far as being a troll, you my good man constantly attacking even loyal Hawk fans with your condensation defines a TROLL...

Bong hits before 6 AM are not recommended.

th

As far as being a troll, you my good man constantly attacking even loyal Hawk fans with your condensation defines a TROLL...

Grip, love your posts and energy bro, but when you doubled down, I couldn't pass it up. I hope I'm not coming off as condescending. All in good fun.:p

Reactions: GG121AND2
ADVERTISEMENT