ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about BWCA. Suggestions?

UNIowaHawk

HR Legend
Jul 22, 2011
That's Boundry Waters Canoe Area

Going in September. Mosquitoes should be greatly reduced to null by that point-- that was my main criteria. I've never been.

Planning a 5 day 4 night canoe trip with 3 other guys (not gay). Thinking about canoeing day one and staying at a site then canoeing to another site for two nights then heading back and camping about midway at site three. Not sure where we should enter. We'd be renting two canoes. Outside of getting a fishing license and permits, where should we stay? Enter? Places to avoid (already avoiding those that allow >3 permits).

I was already to tell you about when Big White Cocks Attack. You'll need some entertainment out in the boundary waters. Something you can do in the tent to stay away from the mosquitoes. You should rethink the gay part.

I don't have much to add other than I did a trip like that once many years ago. It was June I believe and I've never seen so many mosquitoes or ticks in my life. Beautiful area though.

I don't have much to add other than I did a trip like that once many years ago. It was June I believe and I've never seen so many mosquitoes or ticks in my life. Beautiful area though.
That's what I'm looking to avoid. I hate mosquitoes but they love me. It'll be cooler in September but I'd rather be cold than eaten alive.

Ely is a good route to go. Lots of good outfitters that can really be a help if you are new to the experience. If you decide to cross into Canada cross at Prairie Portage.

The US side and southern tier of lakes on the Canada side are pretty manageable and not really hitting the true wilderness. If you get away from the Southern part of the Canada side you are in a true wilderness experience. Not even any signs to help you. If you are into that kind of stuff it is very cool.

My bucket list contains a flying in to the northern end and paddling back to Prairie Portage. If you went up and back it would take most of a 2 week trip and you would have zero opportunity to resupply.

IDK how many will be in your group but I'd keep it an even number (to avoid a 3 person canoe unless you are have to do it to accomidate kids). I'd go a minimum of 4 people (2 canoes) and better to have either 6 or 8 people. Either side will let you put that many people on 1 site.

You can expect to catch edible smallmouths at will. Walleyes and pike are abundant but not always hitting especially that time of year.

There are bears but use your common sense and it shouldn't be a problem. Staying on islands will help. Bears can swim but will avoid swimming to an island unless really hungry.

A group of us go up every year in late May/early June. We go in at Sawbill lake, there's an outfitter there. The outfitter has a place to park and campsites. We usually arrive there late afternoon, make camp at the outfitter the first night and then put the canoes in the next morning. The outfitter will provide you with a map that has the various campsite locations in the park. Something like this:
entry38-thumb.gif

You can go on BWCA and find pictures and reviews of the different sites. Each campsite has a fire grate and a thunder box. If you haven't been up there before, definitely check out various lists of things to bring and not to bring. Remember, everything you bring will have to be carried if you do portages.

Wife (no pic) and I did made a BWCA trip the summer after we got married. Had a blast....but yeah, one morning we woke up to something grunting (not us), looked out the window of our tent and a bear (no homo) was standing on its hind legs swatting at our food cache we had hanging up in the air. Luckily, we had it just outta reach. I quickly grabbed a couple pots and started bangin' 'em together to scare it off. csb

Reactions: ghost80
We usually go in at one of the Gunflint Trail entry points, typically Seagull Lake or Clearwater Lake. Lots of great outfitters to chose from if you need to rent canoes or need a fisherman's cabin to stay in the night before entry. Definitely recommend entering first thing in the morning and not later in the day. If it is a busy time, finding a campsite can be hard later in the day and you don't want to be without a campsite when the sun sets. Some people like to be on the move and change campsites every day or two, but we pack pretty heavy so I prefer to find a good campsite to be our base camp and do day trips to different lakes for fishing, exploring, etc.

Wife (no pic) and I did made a BWCA trip the summer after we got married. Had a blast....but yeah, one morning we woke up to something grunting (not us), looked out the window of our tent and a bear (no homo) was standing on its hind legs swatting at our food cache we had hanging up in the air. Luckily, we had it just outta reach. I quickly grabbed a couple pots and started bangin' 'em together to scare it off. csb

Come on! You know the rules.

Pic of bare wife!

There are, but the rules say they have to be barbless.

Is that on the US side too?

I keep hearing conflicting information on the Canada side. Even last time the officers at the boarder could not tell me no and said that it is regional. When I called their equivalent of our DNR I received the same thing so I asked if it was acceptable to pinch the barbs down and they said yes. I've never had a problem fishing with barbs up with the idea if I see other boats I'll pinch them before my next cast.

Is that on the US side too?

I keep hearing conflicting information on the Canada side. Even last time the officers at the boarder could not tell me no and said that it is regional. When I called their equivalent of our DNR I received the same thing so I asked if it was acceptable to pinch the barbs down and they said yes. I've never had a problem fishing with barbs up with the idea if I see other boats I'll pinch them before my next cast.

I don't believe the barbless hook rules apply in the BWCA, or at least if they do I didn't know about them and didn't comply last time I was there (2015 I believe).

Reactions: ghost80
I don't believe the barbless hook rules apply in the BWCA, or at least if they do I didn't know about them and didn't comply last time I was there (2015 I believe).

Thank you. I'm usually deep enough into Quetico before dropping a line that there aren't many people around and have never had any issues nor really paid much attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT