ADVERTISEMENT

Tell Me About Cancun

Thanks for the masssive deuce in my Cheerios.

Oh, for a first timer you can have a lot of fun. Weather is so perfect. Just keep yourself in enough control to know what's going on. Everybody gets hammered but the guys who get blackout drunk will find trouble. After 3-4 days you'll be ready to come home.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Oh, for a first timer you can have a lot of fun. Weather is so perfect. Just keep yourself in enough control to know what's going on. Everybody gets hammered but the guys who get blackout drunk will find trouble. After 3-4 days you'll be ready to come home.

I will have my son with me (12) so I don’t anticipate being BOD.

Reactions: Pepperman
I will have my son with me (12) so I don’t anticipate being BOD.

Definitely plan a ton of offsite stuff then. You'll quickly get bored at the resort if you're not boozing. You can only sit by a pool for 3-4 hours straight before it gets surprisingly old. I'd guess your son will get bored much sooner than you will. Hit up Tulum for sure.

Definitely plan a ton of offsite stuff then. You'll quickly get bored at the resort if you're not boozing. You can only sit by a pool for 3-4 hours straight before it gets surprisingly old. I'd guess your son will get bored much sooner than you will. Hit up Tulum for sure.

Oh I’m sure we will be drinking, but there are other kids going as well that are younger than my boy. Appreciate the advice though.

I think the place we are staying at is called the beach palace.
Beach Palace is a nice place. They will have either Bud Light or Coors Light. I don't remember off the top of my head. Plus a Mexican beer. And lots of premium brand liquors. You should be able to use the facilities at Moon Palace and I would plan a day trip there for one day. The kids will enjoy it. You can use your resort credit for Chichen Itza or Swim with the Dolphins. I think there may have been something with Tulum and Coba. At any rate, depending on how long you will be there, I would do a day at Moon Palace, maybe 2 excursions, and then time at the resort. They will have a lot of activities for the kids if they are willing to do the kids club. I would encourage them to give it a chance.

Also, be aware that they push timeshare heavily. If you aren't interested in purchasing one stay away from any free tours, breakfasts, or anything else that sounds too good to be true. They will tell you that they have to explain the resort credits to you and use that to try to get you to a presentation. Don't be afraid to be direct with them. There is a special desk you have to book the excursions with in order to use the resort credit. Because it can only be used for specific things. But you don't have to listen to some big presentation to do it. Tell them you are a travel agent if you want. That usually works to get them to leave you alone.

Also, be aware that they push timeshare heavily. If you aren't interested in purchasing one stay away from any free tours, breakfasts, or anything else that sounds too good to be true. They will tell you that they have to explain the resort credits to you and use that to try to get you to a presentation. Don't be afraid to be direct with them. There is a special desk you have to book the excursions with in order to use the resort credit. Because it can only be used for specific things. But you don't have to listen to some big presentation to do it. Tell them you are a travel agent if you want. That usually works to get them to leave you alone.

Thanks for the tips 3BM.

Go out and have a street taco or three as well. They are at most a dollar and probably better than the all inclusive menu at the hotel. I've only done all inclusive once and I was throughly unimpressed. Crap food. Crap wine.

What I've found is that the level of food is commensurate with the price of the resort.

I've stayed at cheap all inclusives where the food was awful and pricier where it was very good.

In a place like Playa or Cabo, I go cheaper all inclusive because there are great places to eat off the resort.

Never had any desire to visit Cancun or places like it but I can see why a lot of people do.

Great place. Check out the Mayan ruins. Chichen Itza, Tulum, etc.. Snorkeling is great. We honeymooned there and loved it.

Edit: forgot to mention Isla Mujeres. Beautiful!

We stay on Isla mujeras as well. Great Snorkeling, Swimming with the Dolphins, Zip Lines, etc.... Rent a golf cart (very reasonable) and tour the Island. Beaches are great. Maybe a 20 minutes or so ferry ride over.

Just stayed there a couple weeks ago in Cancun Iberostar.

Great time, great food, great drinks.

Make sure you know how you are getting from airport to where you are going.
Tip your wait staff

Merida is WAY better than Cancun.

Headed to Merida tomorrow actually! Meeting up with a friend and we are flying down for a quick wedding trip.

My flight sucks, have to connect in Denver, then Houston, before departure to Merida.

We just have 72 hours from wheels down to wheels up.. with a wedding in the mix.

Kinda kicking myself that we didn’t schedule an extra 2-3 days to see the sites.

Figure if I have a good time, can always plan a longer vacation down there in the future.

Headed to Merida tomorrow actually! Meeting up with a friend and we are flying down for a quick wedding trip.

My flight sucks, have to connect in Denver, then Houston, before departure to Merida.

We just have 72 hours from wheels down to wheels up.. with a wedding in the mix.

Kinda kicking myself that we didn’t schedule an extra 2-3 days to see the sites.

Figure if I have a good time, can always plan a longer vacation down there in the future.
You’ve got two connecting flights and you’re only at your destination for 3 days? Dude, wtf?

Yeah, should have extended a few more days. Mexico is probably our favorite relaxing vacation. Good people. Enjoy!

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
You’ve got two connecting flights and you’re only at your destination for 3 days? Dude, wtf?
I know, it was a last minute deal. Granted the wedding should be epic, one of my best friends has been living there for close to two years with his GF… she and her family is from there. Wedding will be 95% her side.

Will be curious to hear how Merida is. We were in Isla Mujeres a few months back and I spent my mornings chatting with the cab drivers outside our hotel. Asked what places are worth visiting that aren't full of gringos and it's worthwhile being fluent in Spanish. Merida was the first one mentioned by many.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Will be curious to hear how Merida is. We were in Isla Mujeres a few months back and I spent my mornings chatting with the cab drivers outside our hotel. Asked what places are worth visiting that aren't full of gringos and it's worthwhile being fluent in Spanish. Merida was the first one mentioned by many.
Holbox is another that I really want to get to. Also Bacalar

Reactions: hawkmart
Holbox is another that I really want to get to. Also Bacalar
Ah yes there was one i couldn't quite remember but I'd know when i heard it, Bacalar. Holbox was mentioned quite a bit along with Puerto Morelos. The cab driver we had from the ferry was particularly happy to share info on the drive to the airport, I wish i had a pen and paper handy or a better memory 😀 My wife doesn't habla so had no idea what we were discussing.

Reactions: 3boysmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT