ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee fires coach

David1979

HR Legend
Oct 17, 2013
I wonder if there is an opportunity here for Iowa to nab a recruit from them with the coach being fired? I don't know if any of there commits have Iowa offers but can imagine some may want to find a new home. Worth a look.

They are going to weasel their way out of the 12 million they owe him. He had a nice class coming in this year.

That program has been a train wreck for awhile now. Can’t keep up with the Saban’s, even with their bagmen.

In other least-shocking NCAA Football news: Alabama is still good, and the forward pass is still legal.

Reactions: K OKeefe
These SEC schools are so desperate to win ... Paying crazy salaries for HC and assistants ... Always looking to make the next great hire ... pouring money left and right (even during the pandemic) ... I'll never feel sorry for college football and any "lost" revenue ... I love me some college football ... but the extreme some programs go to never ceases to amaze me ...

These SEC schools are so desperate to win ... Paying crazy salaries for HC and assistants ... Always looking to make the next great hire ... pouring money left and right (even during the pandemic) ... I'll never feel sorry for college football and any "lost" revenue ... I love me some college football ... but the extreme some programs go to never ceases to amaze me ...

It would be quite interesting to be on the inside to see the finances.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
So Dan Patrick on his show said that literally Tennessee assistants were handing out McDonalds bags with cash in them.

Heard that too. Nothing shocks me anymore with the SEC and recruiting, except the NCAA doesn’t seem to punish the schools that continue to break rules in a harsh manner.

If I were Tennessee, I'd seriously try and pry Bill O'Brien off the Bama staff. He'd kill it in Knoxville.

But I don't think the UT brass is smart enough.

If I were the Tennessee athletic department I'd shut down the whole thing, dirty from the word go

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
If I were Tennessee, I'd seriously try and pry Bill O'Brien off the Bama staff. He'd kill it in Knoxville.

But I don't think the UT brass is smart enough.
Gus Malzahn is a guy Tennessee should consider due to his success at Auburn while having to deal with Bama and LSU in the west. East is GA and Florida with Tennessee. I’d hire him ASAP and be patient since it’s going to take a while to rebuild with sanctions in place, or one would think harsh punishments will be levied against the program and university.

Reactions: amahawk
I think they are allowing him to retire so they do not fire him.

Not likely, he‘s 70 years old and A UT legend. It wouldn’t make sense for him to pick the next guy when he clearly doesn’t have much time left. Makes much more sense to all parties to start over, which will also give them more leverage for better candidates at both positions.

So Dan Patrick on his show said that literally Tennessee assistants were handing out McDonalds bags with cash in them.
Heard that too. Nothing shocks me anymore with the SEC and recruiting, except the NCAA doesn’t seem to punish the schools that continue to break rules in a harsh manner.

I heard the clip of him talking about this today. He said his source said Tennessee "got sloppy."

My first thought was, well, if they "got sloppy" it just continues to speak to the cheating culture of the SEC. However, there were two more interesting comments from his source I haven't seen posted.

1- He claimed that Georgia has also "gotten sloppy" in this regard. I haven't heard anything on Georgia but I am sure it wouldn't shock anyone either.

2- He said his source also claimed the SEC is all but telling Tennessee that they can't hire Hugh Freeze after having similar issues at Ole Miss. Since when does the SEC take the moral high ground?

Perhaps they will keep Clay Travis out of their coaching search this time. He was the one who spearheaded the fight against Schiano when Tennessee hired him and got him dismissed before he even started. It's his fault they hired Pruitt.
And let's not forget how that coaching search went

Reactions: Madman_1 and ChiDoc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT