ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee preparing to add 10% 'talent fee' to ticket prices to raise money to give its players

I mean, the pretense of a “student athlete” is over now. Business is business.

Pony up the dough or settle for a vastly inferior product. That’s the dilemma all schools face.

From the story:

Up to $22M in revenue sharing is expected to come next year (it still has to be approved by a federal judge) and this is one way Tennessee fans will help pay for it.

Tennessee hopes to recoup about $10M through the surcharge, which will come in addition to a football ticket price increase averaging 4.5 percent across all seats.

So, a $100 ticket last year would cost $115 this year.

I mean, the pretense of a “student athlete” is over now. Business is business.

Pony up the dough or settle for a vastly inferior product. That’s the dilemma all schools face.
Well, then, go ahead and spend your money trying to keep Iowa from becoming a vastly inferior product..............

Well, then, go ahead and spend your money trying to keep Iowa from becoming a vastly inferior product..............
Iowa already is there or heading there.

Many fans who paid into Swarm probably feel cheated. Iowa has spent a lot trying to acquire offensive talent through the portal and the product on the field is still shit.

You don’t need a Kaleb Brown in an offense that is perfectly suited for 3A Iowa high school talent. That’s Kirk ball.

And that is when I stop buying season tickets. It was a good run, 33 years and counting. Times change but this wouldn’t be for me.
Whatever happened to the notion that the college athletic departments would just share some of the bounty with the players?

Donations to NIL funds, ticket surcharges, etc, cause me to think that idea has been discarded. :)

Reactions: kceasthawk
It’s time some of the TV money is used to reduce tuition.
A “ brilliant “ Federal Judge has put a hold on the agreement worked out between lawyers representing the players and the NCAa. She felt the 22 million revenue sharing with an inflation adjustment each year wasn’t generous enough for the players. Now the whole agreement looks like it is going to fall apart. What a crock ! Now it’s back to the Wild West.

From the story:

Up to $22M in revenue sharing is expected to come next year (it still has to be approved by a federal judge) and this is one way Tennessee fans will help pay for it.

Tennessee hopes to recoup about $10M through the surcharge, which will come in addition to a football ticket price increase averaging 4.5 percent across all seats.

So, a $100 ticket last year would cost $115 this year.

Stadium size makes a huge difference in this case...

Kinnick Stadium
Capacity: 69,250
<-- used to be 70,585 before latest renovations

Neyland Stadium
Capacity: ~102,000

Reactions: Franisdaman
A “ brilliant “ Federal Judge has put a hold on the agreement worked out between lawyers representing the players and the NCAa. She felt the 22 million revenue sharing with an inflation adjustment each year wasn’t generous enough for the players. Now the whole agreement looks like it is going to fall apart. What a crock ! Now it’s back to the Wild West.
Wild West wasn’t going away. Outside sources can still pay players any amount they want. This deal did zero. If all the players in the country can get a slice of $22 million the difference between choosing school A or B will be the outside money.

All this deal does is hurt the money available to non high profile sports.

Whatever happened to the notion that the college athletic departments would just share some of the bounty with the players?

Donations to NIL funds, ticket surcharges, etc, cause me to think that idea has been discarded. :)
Exactly. All the $$$$$ coming to these schools, and the idea was supposedly they were going to share that with the players. Wait, oh no, were going to charge the fans for "talent fee's". No, just NO.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT