ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee school board votes unanimously to ban book about the Holocaust

They are not against teaching the Holocaust. This particular book has a few items they find objectionable (nudity, language).
And now that the GQP is passing laws making it illegal to make them feel "discomfort" I guess things they find "objectionable" is the next logical step.

Some Jewish people are concerned that when there are these discussions about books the movement’s always away from books like Maus and The Devil’s Arithmetic to lighter versions of the Holocaust that don’t go into the details of the extermination camps and that deemphasize Jewishness.

Last edited:
Not surprised this bunch of Republicans went after Maus. It is a picture book after all, which qualifies as the top end of Republican's literacy level.
Are we sure the school board is full of Republicans? Most school boards I've encountered tend to skew liberal. Maybe they want to create a safe space and avoid microaggressions.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
They aren't nazis or interested in defending Hitler -- they're doing what religious conservatives in the US have always done, and Tennessee is chalk full of them.
True, but I have to push back at the implication that if they aren't defending Hitler then they aren't so bad.

That probably wasn't how you intended that to be read, but we already have lots - probably millions - in America who think the only real problem with Nazis was the Holocaust. Fascism is evil, even when it doesn't go that far.

I can't disagree with some of your sentiments, I'm of the opinion that the further you are from a moderate position, the more certain media want to amplify your messaging, which in turn sows division and controversy in all areas of our society. It's actually quite sad. It's time for moderates to take the wheel and the far right and left to take a back seat, hopefully for good.
The far left wants to pay for college, get everyone good health care, and address climate problems.

The far right wants to suppress voting, ban books, and drill, baby drill.

They are not even remotely the same. It's time for so-called moderates to stop pretending otherwise.

MSNBC's Nicole Wallace said something spot on during her show today as she discussed the move to restrict teaching and books, "If only these parents spent as much time monitoring what their kids look at on their phones".

It's unusual to see someone post something so stupid, and then double down on it. Kudos for being all in.
Facts are facts. Just because it’s something bad doesn’t mean facts should be embellished to make it worse.

272999832_10158814493833869_5815505961101880231_n.jpg

Never said that, just stating the fact that there weren’t 6M Jews murdered. Many died fighting, starvation, overworked, suicide, etc.

WTF kind of person are you. Are you stupid. Intentionally stupid, or a ****ing Nazi!

Right wingers thinking like this don‘t deserve a place on this earth. Tell us about the children shot in forehead by einsatzgruppen death squads or suffocated in unbearable heat in trains at Treblinka or Sobibor. You are as ignorant history as you are in politics.

Staration was intentionally applied as well as over work to kill.

JFC how this country become so fcvking dumb.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
WTF kind of person are you. Are you stupid. Intentionally stupid, or a ****ing Nazi!

Right wingers thinking like this don‘t deserve a place on this earth. Tell us about the children shot in forehead by einsatzgruppen death squads or suffocated in unbearable heat in trains at Treblinka or Sobibor. You are as ignorant history as you are in politics.

Staration was intentionally applied as well as over work.

JFC how this country become so fcvking dumb.

Actually comforting to know that I could lock UNIowaHawk in my basement for a month while he starves to death, and it's not "murder". 👀

The school board is receiving a lot of local push back, but is unmoved to reverse their decision. That would require admitting you are wrong, or being cancelled I guess. Read this or don’t, but apparently all of the board members have admitted they’ve never read Maus. Hard to see how they banned something without examining it for themselves.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/maus-mcminn-county-school-board-meeting_n_6206c4ede4b0e224afc71fdf
They didn't ban it. They took it out of the MIDDLE SCHOOL curriculum. Have to be honest to have meaningful conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT