ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee school board votes unanimously to ban book about the Holocaust

I'm sorry, did the author not clean up the genocide enough for you?
And it's not even sexual nudity.
Aren’t mice, cats and pigs usually naked?
Donald Duck hasn't worn pants for 80 Years. I'd imagine our religious zealots will be taking Disney to task next. What if a teacher uses Disney+ to show a video and children are exposed to this filth???!!!!

deni4jn-5c6568bc-5c14-4b0a-8b2b-7d76d889053c.gif

Depends the content. And the methods for removal of content. The Maus thing is stupid to remove.

But, you know, we shouldn't exactly be turning K-12 into the ridiculous liberal cesspool that is college humanities education at this point in time.

There's a gross over-focus on criticizing America and essentializing race there. That doesn't get to spill over into K-12.
Take your head, shove it up your butt, with force.

Depends the content. And the methods for removal of content. The Maus thing is stupid to remove.

But, you know, we shouldn't exactly be turning K-12 into the ridiculous liberal cesspool that is college humanities education at this point in time.

There's a gross over-focus on criticizing America and essentializing race there. That doesn't get to spill over into K-12.
Out of curiosity, where did you attend college?

That's because it fits your learning style. Many people learn differently. Take a few minutes to watch the YouTube video of the book I linked. I think your perspective might change on the value of a book like Maus.

All I saw was the first few pages in that video. I don't think that was the full book.

The more I think about this the more troubling it becomes.

The Holocaust was designed to sanitize the process of killing millions of people and make it palatable to the average German.

Jews were first moved to ghettos where they lived for a time and then were “evacuated” to holding camps on train cars. That was it. There was no public mention that there were extermination camps. Your average German could just pretend that the Jews left and that was that. They had to know what was happening, but they didn’t have to see it.

Seeing it matters.

The more I think about this the more troubling it becomes.

The Holocaust was designed to sanitize the process of killing millions of people and make it palatable to the average German.

Jews were first moved to ghettos where they lived for a time and then were “evacuated” to holding camps on train cars. That was it. There was no public mention that there were extermination camps. Your average German could just pretend that the Jews left and that was that. They had to know what was really happening, but they didn’t have to see it.

Seeing it matters.

I think they should see the actual photos.

IDK I guess I don't object to a graphic model, it's not like we are hurting them to have them see it. I just think it's a strange way to learn about the holocaust. I'm not sure I like replacing the people with animals. I think people should be shocked to the core with the actual photos of humans.

IDK I guess I don't object to a graphic model, it's not like we are hurting them to have them see it. I just think it's a strange way to learn about the holocaust. I'm not sure I like replacing the people with animals. I think people should be shocked to the core with the actual photos of humans.
Did you read Animal Farm?

Reactions: bojihawk44
You and I don't disagree. These pictures are essential for shock value alone. People can't deny seeing this or forget it. Where Maus is important, is it makes it personal and you can approach one man's story. Seeing photos this gruesome can become numbing and at some point they just become bodies. Maus tells you about one man's experience.

You and I don't disagree. These pictures are essential for shock value alone. People can't deny seeing this or forget it. Where Maus is important, is it makes it personal and you can approach one man's story. Seeing photos this gruesome can become numbing and at some point they just become bodies. Maus tells you about one man's experience.

I always figured that is what Anne Frank was for.

I guess I'm old fashioned and not a graphic novel person. . . it's just weird turning them into animals and stuff like that.

• Haha
I always figured that is what Anne Frank was for.

I guess I'm old fashioned and not a graphic novel person. . . it's just weird turning them into animals and stuff like that.
Maus goes through the whole process of what happened at the extermination camps. It’s about the most straight-forward explanation I’ve seen. Far more complete than the Diary of Anne Frank even with Otto Frank’s additions.

You realize the characters in the book are animals right? Drawings not photos.

No. I knew nothing of the book until the first post. I then opened the link and read of “mouse nudity”, with no statement in the article that the characters are mice. But it does say the book shows “hanging people” and “killing kids”.

Shitty writing. Thanks.

Reactions: globalhawk

This is the entire irony of the situation. Maus was meant to teach the Holocaust to children without them having to see the abject horror. I agree seeing the actual photos is the most powerful but many middle schoolers aren't ready for something that heavy...Hence Maus.

Welcome to America where war crimes are more palatable than naked cartoon mice.

Hey moron, the bad guys are Germans , not Americans. It’s telling that you see a book about the holocaust as somehow liberals tearing down America.

No moron. I think what happened is that the overly ambiguous rules made by conservative states left open the door for the religious types to do stuff like this.

The bottom line for me is that it doesn’t matter whether or not this school wants to use Maus to teach their students about the Holocaust. It doesn’t matter whether or not they want to use The Diary of Anne Frank. It doesn’t matter to me whether or not they want to use Schindler’s List.

All that matters is that some how, some way, they teach their students about the Holocaust. All that matters is that sone how, some way, they make sure all their students understand what happened, how it happened, why it happened, and how important it is that it never happen again.

The bottom line for me is that it doesn’t matter whether or not this school wants to use Maus to teach their students about the Holocaust. It doesn’t matter whether or not they want to use The Diary of Anne Frank. It doesn’t matter to me whether or not they want to use Schindler’s List.

All that matters is that some how, some way, they teach their students about the Holocaust. All that matters is that sone how, some way, they make sure all their students understand what happened, how it happened, why it happened, and how important it is that it never happen again.
I think we all can agree on that point, but what are your thoughts on why the board banned this book?

I think we all can agree on that point, but what are your thoughts on why the board banned this book?
It seems to be an overreaction, but I’ve never read Maus so I can’t speak to their specific concerns.

There are many ways to teach about the Holocaust. Just make sure it gets done, one way or another.

Idiots. You're dealing with religious conservatives. Of course they're going to make a big fuss about kids and language and nudity and gore and the like.

They aren't nazis or interested in defending Hitler -- they're doing what religious conservatives in the US have always done, and Tennessee is chalk full of them.

On to the next point of outrage you won't understand.

They don't seem to have an issue with the graphic incest, rape, and violence in the Bible.

We read this in college during a holocaust literature class. I just had my 11 year old read it for his elementary school language arts class when he was required to do a book on historical fiction.

It's based on the author's own fathers experience during the war. Jews are mice, Nazi's are cats, American's are dogs, and Polish are pigs.

I think I read it around 5th or 6th grade. It definitely drove home how terrible the Holocaust was more than anything else I was exposed to at that age and was pretty approachable.

Reactions: mnole03
I don't understand this sh!t! Some Republican please explain this crap to me
They won't be able to in a logically way. This is white supremacy indoctrination. See, then GQP accuses dems of being Nazis, they are projecting. Their playbook is to blame others for what they themselves are guilty of. Its a diversion tactic. But too many Americans, including many on this board don't have the mental capacity to comprehend what's going on, which is why the GQP is getting away with it. White fragility is an easy thing to take advantage of.

Still wondering which college you attended with all these liberal humanities classes?

To be fair, I never learned about the holocaust via a graphic novel.

Quite frankly it seems like a poor way of learning about the holocaust.

That said I do think that it's important at the very least in high school to show the pictures of the piled bodies and the mass graves. Some shock to the system is needed when it comes to these things, otherwise it's a lot easier for people to take holocaust denial seriously.

I'm not sure about a graphic novel though.

Seems much ado about nothing really. School board isn't stopping them from learning about the holocaust, they are opposing one particular book.

+1

We read this book in Interpretive Lit, my Junior year of college.

Given the graphic/'edgy' nature of the novel, it was more appropriate for that setting, than it would be for Jr High/High School, imo.

Still wondering which college you attended with all these liberal humanities classes?

Iowa. A while back and I didn't take many humanities as I wasn't majoring in them.

But all the people I knew that loved bitching about "the west" and power structures and capitalism and the like came from that sort of education, and as far as I can tell, they've only proliferated in number and extremeness. I always found them out of balance in the same way the certain conservative types like to white wash american history because american-fuq-yeah!

These folks in Tennessee are flat-out CRAZY!
Do they know that in Germany, students are REQUIRED to learn about the Holacaust! That includes attending old Nazi "documentation centers" and watching GRAPHIC films and viewing GRAPHIC photographs of the Nazi atrocities against Jews, gypsies, mentally incapacitated and other other enemies of the Nazi state". This is part of the german youths basic education. Naked pictures and all!
Phuque.......how provincial, how stupid......how ignorant do some Americans want to remain? Sadly, it isn't limited to Tennesseeans, either.

Iowa. A while back and I didn't take many humanities as I wasn't majoring in them.

But all the people I knew that loved bitching about "the west" and power structures and capitalism and the like came from that sort of education, and as far as I can tell, they've only proliferated in number and extremeness. I always found them out of balance in the same way the certain conservative types like to white wash american history because american-fuq-yeah!
We definitely had very different experiences.

Also, how can you tell that this liberal extremism is getting worse? Do you work on a campus or something related?

ADVERTISEMENT