ADVERTISEMENT

Tesla: 0-60 in 1.9 Seconds. Quarter Mile in 8.9

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Sounds almost too good to be true...
Tesla has unveiled a new Roadster, the new version of its original sports car. It’s the fastest production car ever made, according to Elon Musk, with speeds of just 1.9 seconds for 0 to 60 4.2 seconds for 0 to 100. It can handle a quarter mile in 8.9 seconds.

“This is the base model,” Musk said, then went on to mention that its top speed is above 250 mph. and it has a 200 kWh battery pack that offers 630 miles of highway driving range.

It’s also a 2 by 2 four-seater, and it’s available in 2020.

tesla-semi_46.jpg

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/16/tesla-unveils-the-new-roadster/

I'm glad that the taxpayers are subsidizing cars that most will never be able to afford. Can we raise subsidies for multi-million dollar mansions near the coastline while we're at it?

Reactions: BrianNole09
I'm glad that the taxpayers are subsidizing cars that most will never be able to afford. Can we raise subsidies for multi-million dollar mansions near the coastline while we're at it?

Hey, we're subsidizing both oil and standard auto production already. I have no problem with companies that are better for the environment getting in on the action.

If I can only go 630 miles at 250mph, that means I'm going to have to stop to plug in every 2.5 hours! What garbage!

Seriously though, a 630 mile range is a game changer. When it can be applied to sedans, SUV's, etc. it should really change the world (if costs for lower models can start under $30k).

Sounds almost too good to be true...
Tesla has unveiled a new Roadster, the new version of its original sports car. It’s the fastest production car ever made, according to Elon Musk, with speeds of just 1.9 seconds for 0 to 60 4.2 seconds for 0 to 100. It can handle a quarter mile in 8.9 seconds.

“This is the base model,” Musk said, then went on to mention that its top speed is above 250 mph. and it has a 200 kWh battery pack that offers 630 miles of highway driving range.

It’s also a 2 by 2 four-seater, and it’s available in 2020.

tesla-semi_46.jpg

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/16/tesla-unveils-the-new-roadster/
The performance of cars today is nuts. Pretty much every manufacturer has a family sedan has a model that can hit 0-60 in 5.something seconds. That used to be the territory of high end German cars, not that long ago...

Reactions: longliveCS40
And this is why Tesla will eventually go bankrupt...

Not because we don't need electric cars or people won't buy electric cars. But because they have yet to turn a profit and are already sinking tons of the investor's money into cars like this that the common man can not afford.

I'm sure the socially concious wealthy people out there will love to show off their electrically powered speed machines. The 99% won't be able to even touch one.

Not because we don't need electric cars or people won't buy electric cars. But because they have yet to turn a profit and are already sinking tons of the investor's money into cars like this that the common man can not afford.

I'm sure the socially concious wealthy people out there will love to show off their electrically powered speed machines. The 99% won't be able to even touch one.
Right. Because this is the only thing they are working on and Elon is an idiot.

To me the biggest impediment is charging time and charging locations. Teslas can't be anything more than a commuter or a weekend toy to be driven on back roads around your home. Let's say best case someone is super rich living in California with access to supercharging stations, and they actually drive themselves. I have a hard time believing that person is going to sit around for an hour while their car charges up.

To me the biggest impediment is charging time and charging locations. Teslas can't be anything more than a commuter or a weekend toy to be driven on back roads around your home. Let's say best case someone is super rich living in California with access to supercharging stations, and they actually drive themselves. I have a hard time believing that person is going to sit around for an hour while their car charges up.

That is the biggest impediment to wide spread use the the electric car. But even if they fix all those things, Tesla's cars are too expensive for the middle class.

As of the writing of this article the cheapest Tesla model out there is $74,500 for the base model. Although it says they are working on one that will cost $35,000.

Right. Because this is the only thing they are working on and Elon is an idiot.

Just because he's had some success in the past doesn't mean that everything he touches turns to gold. He's sank a crap ton of money into making electric cars look cool.

The other problems if he's sank money into them at all he's so far been unsuccessful. But good for him, he made cool looking fast electric cars. That research will certainly help another company after Tesla goes bankrupt or gets bought out because his cars are too darn expensive to sell.

Tesla has been in business for 14 years, living off investor funds for 14 years. And they are just now after 14 years trying to appeal to the middle class? Henry Ford figured that crap out a hundred years ago. But for Tesla the idea of appealing to the middle class is some new age idea.

They have no source of revenue to sustain them until they get the big problems such as recharge time figured out unlike the other automakers. The only way they continue to exist is investors pouring their money in. Eventually that stream of money comes to an end as they all realize how much money they've sank into a company that's delivered zero profits.

Then they either go bankrupt and all their stuff is sold or they willingly cut bait and sell to another company, or their stock price goes into the crapper and another automaker buys up their company for pennies on the dollar. Then that automaker, probably still preserving the Tesla name figures out the big problems with electric cars and starts selling affordable middle class cars to the masses.

Personally I'm guessing it becomes a GM brand, but it could be any of the profitable automakers really, here or abroad.

Last edited:
That looks safe :)

It looks like something in which Simon Phoenix would jam a glowrod
Hey, we're subsidizing both oil and standard auto production already. I have no problem with companies that are better for the environment getting in on the action.

Not that I really like those either, but at least poor people see some kind of return on oil subsidies. I'd rather stop all of them and let the market play out.

Charging stations are popping up all over. You're finding them in parking ramps and corporate workplace lots everywhere.

And, yes, you DO leave your car there for at least an hour or more; PLENTY of time to charge.

The 'game changer' for EVs will be when inductive charging becomes the 'norm', because that will mean inductive charge parking spots will start showing up, and you won't even have to plug in; you park, pay a parking fee (that may include cost for charging) and your car tank gets filled while you're off doing other things.

If I can only go 630 miles at 250mph, that means I'm going to have to stop to plug in every 2.5 hours! What garbage!

Seriously though, a 630 mile range is a game changer. When it can be applied to sedans, SUV's, etc. it should really change the world (if costs for lower models can start under $30k).

350 miles would be a 'game changer'; get that to anything north of 400 so you'll be guaranteed 350+ even when operating A/C or heat, and you've matched the performance of gas powered cars.

If you can get charging times to 20 minutes, that's pushing the envelope for gas cars, and only for those on long trips does it really become an inconvenience. Because for those commuting, you'll eventually be able to inductively charge just about anywhere, and aside from long-haul trips, probably won't ever even plug your car in anywhere. You'll buy an inductive 'mat' to put down in your garage, and your car starts charging the minute you park it. Same mats will become commonplace in ramps where you'll pay to park-n-charge.

This isn't happening immediately, but I expect you'll start seeing those things roll out in the next 5-10 years...then fully explode into the markets. Unless we start making grid improvements to handle the electric burdens, things may get messy on that side of the equation.

Charging stations are popping up all over. You're finding them in parking ramps and corporate workplace lots everywhere.

And, yes, you DO leave your car there for at least an hour or more; PLENTY of time to charge.

The 'game changer' for EVs will be when inductive charging becomes the 'norm', because that will mean inductive charge parking spots will start showing up, and you won't even have to plug in; you park, pay a parking fee (that may include cost for charging) and your car tank gets filled while you're off doing other things.
That's why I described them as commuter cars and play things, currently. I am sure it is the future, but I'm talking about the now in terms of infrastructure and technology with relation to how our family's life is lived.

The parking garage at my office building is up to 15 charging stations and is already planning to double that next year because it’s not enough. Clearly Teslas aren’t for everyone yet but they are all over my neighborhood and are very prevalent in the school pickup line.

That's why I described them as commuter cars and play things, currently. I am sure it is the future, but I'm talking about the now in terms of infrastructure and technology with relation to how our family's life is lived.
Doesn't this range cover everything except long family trips? How often in regular life do you not park in your own garage more than 600 miles apart? That's more than commute and plaything. I never go on long trips in my car, we always take the Suburban on long trips so this could do exactly what my car does in all aspects of family life.

I've got a reservation for the Tesla Model 3. I drive 55 miles one way to work. Including the cost of charging, I will save over $250/month in gas, with a similar loan payment compared to what I'm driving now. With insurance costs going down, along with all the safety features, it is a win/win for my family.

Doesn't this range cover everything except long family trips? How often in regular life do you not park in your own garage more than 600 miles apart? That's more than commute and plaything. I never go on long trips in my car, we always take the Suburban on long trips so this could do exactly what my car does in all aspects of family life.
I thought the range was 300 but really less with how people actually drive and use cars. Would not work for having to drive to a work duty somewhere else in the state. For weekends visiting family (road trip), that would not work. For weekends during season, that wouldn't get it done for out of town tournaments. You would need another car just for those activities.

Electric will replace everything because it is better not because tree huggers shoved it down our throats.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
This right here. 600+ mile range and we’re seeing the beginning of the end for the combustion engine. About fvcking time.

I thought the range was 300 but really less with how people actually drive and use cars. Would not work for having to drive to a work duty somewhere else in the state. For weekends visiting family (road trip), that would not work. For weekends during season, that wouldn't get it done for out of town tournaments. You would need another car just for those activities.
Sure. We happen to have another vehicle that works better for most of those things anyway. Unless you have a family or team of hamsters, this wouldn't be the vehicle for that other stuff anyway :)

This right here. 600+ mile range and we’re seeing the beginning of the end for the combustion engine. About fvcking time.

I'm presuming this "roadster" has no trunk at all (all battery, which is where it's getting the extended range from).

But you are 100% correct; new Li-ion battery designs are coming out of the labs and are being designed for mass-production.

Safer. Higher energy density. Lighter. Smaller.

That's happening now, not in 10 years. In 5-10 years, those batteries will be available for production electric cars, and it will crush the internal combustion engine market. This is precisely why many automakers are already putting timelines down for ceasing production of 'plain' IC engines. That's a market-based decision, not a 'green-based' decision.

350 miles would be a 'game changer'; get that to anything north of 400 so you'll be guaranteed 350+ even when operating A/C or heat, and you've matched the performance of gas powered cars.

If you can get charging times to 20 minutes, that's pushing the envelope for gas cars, and only for those on long trips does it really become an inconvenience. Because for those commuting, you'll eventually be able to inductively charge just about anywhere, and aside from long-haul trips, probably won't ever even plug your car in anywhere. You'll buy an inductive 'mat' to put down in your garage, and your car starts charging the minute you park it. Same mats will become commonplace in ramps where you'll pay to park-n-charge.

This isn't happening immediately, but I expect you'll start seeing those things roll out in the next 5-10 years...then fully explode into the markets. Unless we start making grid improvements to handle the electric burdens, things may get messy on that side of the equation.
Yeah, I feel like if they actually deliver this by 2020, then by 2030 this technology should be a real possibility for a huge slice of the market by 2030 (assuming the charge capacity follows). I'm a fan. This will be a boom for roadside restaurants/attractions too. If you're stuck on a long trip for 20-30 minutes, you're going to grab a bite to eat and do a little more than run in, grab a drink and a pee, and hit the road again.

Now, what will charging remotely cost? It needs to be pennies in comparison to a tank of gas.

Yeah, I feel like if they actually deliver this by 2020, then by 2030 this technology should be a real possibility for a huge slice of the market by 2030 (assuming the charge capacity follows). I'm a fan. This will be a boom for roadside restaurants/attractions too. If you're stuck on a long trip for 20-30 minutes, you're going to grab a bite to eat and do a little more than run in, grab a drink and a pee, and hit the road again.

Now, what will charging remotely cost? It needs to be pennies in comparison to a tank of gas.
PSA, not the grammar police but I think you meant "boon" instead of "boom," just in case you didn't mistype and were using the word incorrectly.

PSA, not the grammar police but I think you meant "boon" instead of "boom," just in case you didn't mistype and were using the word incorrectly.
Actually, I was referring to the economic gains of those businesses/that industry. It's splitting hairs and they're pretty well used interchangeably, but I have no direct concern for the investors. Here you go:

A boom refers to a period of increased commercial activity within either a business, market, industry or economy as a whole. For an individual company, a boom means rapid and significant sales growth, while a boom for a country is marked by significant GDP growth.
Boom - Investopedia
sb_nortoncertified.png

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/boom.asp

DEFINITION of 'Boon' Boon refers to a benefit or improvement for investors, such as increased dividends, a stock market rally or stock buybacks. This term is often seen in the investment press in such headlines as "This Boom is a Boon to Investors."
Boon - Investopedia
sb_nortoncertified.png

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/boon.asp

Electric charges cost less than half an equivalent "gallon of gas". $1 or so "per gallon" equivalent.

So, given "equal performance", gas prices must drop 2x or more to compete. This is precisely why MORE distributed grid production (like wind) is an absolute necessity as electrics become more common.

Actually, I was referring to the economic gains of those businesses/that industry. It's splitting hairs and they're pretty well used interchangeably, but I have no direct concern for the investors. Here you go:

A boom refers to a period of increased commercial activity within either a business, market, industry or economy as a whole. For an individual company, a boom means rapid and significant sales growth, while a boom for a country is marked by significant GDP growth.
Boom - Investopedia
sb_nortoncertified.png

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/boom.asp

DEFINITION of 'Boon' Boon refers to a benefit or improvement for investors, such as increased dividends, a stock market rally or stock buybacks. This term is often seen in the investment press in such headlines as "This Boom is a Boon to Investors."
Boon - Investopedia
sb_nortoncertified.png

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/boon.asp
I don't really care but boon lines up with how you used the term in a sentence. If you want to say boom, say boom. People will either agree with you or think you are using the wrong word.

I don't really care but boon lines up with how you used the term in a sentence. If you want to say boom, say boom. People will either agree with you or think you are using the wrong word.

His use of boon was correct in his statement. Most of us know how to interrupt boon in a sentence.

I see Tesla charging stations at hotels more and more frequently. I rarely see any Teslas being charged at these stations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT