ADVERTISEMENT

Teslas with Autopilot a step closer to recall after wrecks

p12531_p_v12_ay.jpg

Of the remaining 106, the main cause of about one-quarter of the crashes appears to be running Autopilot

So, people wreck 3x as often as Autopilot?

Reactions: Urohawk
So what happens with the $10k they charged people for autopilot? Do they have to refund the money?

Of the remaining 106, the main cause of about one-quarter of the crashes appears to be running Autopilot

No. You left out important information in your copy and paste.

“…. in areas where it has limitations, or conditions can interfere with its operations.”

No. You left out important information in your copy and paste.

“…. in areas where it has limitations, or conditions can interfere with its operations.”
I hope everyone reads the article.

In total, the agency looked at 191 crashes but removed 85 of them because other drivers were involved or there wasn't enough information to do a definite assessment. Of the remaining 106, the main cause of about one-quarter of the crashes appears to be running Autopilot in areas where it has limitations, or conditions can interfere with its operations. "For example, operation on roadways other than limited access highways, or operation in low traction or visibility environments such as rain, snow or ice," the agency wrote.

191 crashes, but the writer (or is the government agency) lumps those caused by other drivers with those where they claim there wasn't enough information (I am curious about that, as I understand the Tesla to be constantly logging).
Is this 191 crashes, 83 caused by other drivers, 2 without any "enough information to do a definite assessment"?

This is how you write a hit piece.
There is no need to lie to mislead.

Of the remaining 106, the main cause of about one-quarter of the crashes appears to be running Autopilot in areas where it has limitations, or conditions can interfere with its operations

Again, why the imprecision? Do you think the author is rounding up, or down?

So we have 191 crashes.
85 (45%) chalked up to other drivers, or "there wasn't enough information"
~25 (13%) chalked up to Autopilot not being perfect in adverse weather.

Now we need to look how these autopilot enabled cars are doing per million miles driven versus the meatbags on their phones.

Now we need to look how these autopilot enabled cars are doing per million miles driven versus the meatbags on their phones.

Autopilot has reacted and save me from being run off the road by a semi-truck before I could have ever see it coming.

Q4 2021​

In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.31 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features). For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology (no Autosteer and active safety features), we recorded one crash for every 1.59 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.

*Note: Seasonality can affect crash rates from quarter to quarter, particularly in quarters where reduced daylight and inclement or wintry weather conditions are more common. To minimize seasonality as a variable, compare a quarter to the same quarter in prior years.

Does the NHTSA still have Missy Cummings, an active $TSLAQ conspiracy theorist (think QAnon), a person who held LIDAR stock(a competing technology to Tesla’s autonomous driving approach), a person who tweeted about their fantasy of punching Elon Musk in the face if she ever saw him, on their board?

When these facts were raised by the public the NHTSA still brought her on to the board. Strange. How much influence does that psycho have over there?

Reactions: seminole97
In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.31 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features). For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology (no Autosteer and active safety features), we recorded one crash for every 1.59 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.

well-there-it-is.gif

Does the NHTSA still have Missy Cummings, an active $TSLAQ conspiracy theorist (think QAnon), a person who held LIDAR stock(a competing technology to Tesla’s autonomous driving approach), a person who tweeted about their fantasy of punching Elon Musk in the face if she ever saw him, on their board?

When these facts were raised by the public the NHTSA still brought her on to the board. Strange. How much influence does that psycho have over there?
Surely regulation isn’t politically co-opted to harm competition in our mixed economy, is it?

No

Unless your claim is that Autopilot is used as much as human driving.
You need to scale the numbers to match the relative amounts of time for each to get apples-apples here.

Also, autopilot is likely mainly used in "safe" conditions, whereas it's turned off in harsher weather and more risky driving situations. Unless you factor those things in, you cannot make the assumption you've implied here.

I hope everyone reads the article.

In total, the agency looked at 191 crashes but removed 85 of them because other drivers were involved or there wasn't enough information to do a definite assessment. Of the remaining 106, the main cause of about one-quarter of the crashes appears to be running Autopilot in areas where it has limitations, or conditions can interfere with its operations.

This is like comparing football wins vs. Div II opponents vs wins over the Top 25. Because you're lumping in all the stats for human drivers who do drive in these conditions, but do not use Autopilot in them because of the higher risks.

If Autopilot gets to "game" the stats for only the safest conditions, you're not really seeing whether there are benefits over regular drivers.

There is also the real and documented effect that drivers who feel like they have the autopilot safety net being more distracted because they feel safer with it and do not pay as much attention. NASCAR learned this with seatbelts and other safety features, where accidents increased due to that greater feeling of invulnerability. So, there are other things to take into consideration before claiming that it performs better than actual drivers.

No

Unless your claim is that Autopilot is used as much as human driving.
You need to scale the numbers to match the relative amounts of time for each to get apples-apples here.

Also, autopilot is likely mainly used in "safe" conditions, whereas it's turned off in harsher weather and more risky driving situations. Unless you factor those things in, you cannot make the assumption you've implied here.
Yeah, I was wrong, Autopilot appears to be almost 9X safer than meatbags. But I did say we need the million miles per accident numbers to compare. I didn’t expect an obvious hit piece to show data like that and undermine the FUD.
The results are not surprising when considering the old people, and the people on their phones, and the old people on their phones that think they’re being safe.

Yeah, I was wrong, Autopilot appears to almost 9X safer than meatbags. But I did say we need the million miles per accident numbers to compare

Again: No

You need to compare under similar driving conditions. Not giving Autopilot the ability to only "play Division II" teams and claim they are "undefeated".

If there has not been an adjustment to ONLY look at similar driver data for the same conditions as Autopilot (e.g. only using data for human drivers in the same areas and times of day as Autopilot being used), then you are not making an adequate comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT