ADVERTISEMENT

Texas AG On School Shootings: “God Has A Plan”

God didn't "direct" him to do anything. He chose evil using his own free will.

God gets blamed for all the bad in America and no credit for the good.

It makes no sense to me.
You don't get to have it both ways. If there's a "plan" there can't be free will. How could this 18 year old defy your god's "plan"? If it's part of the "plan", he HAD to go buy those weapons, go to that school, and slaughter those children.

Or are you going to tell us now that it WASN'T your god's plan after all?

Reactions: fsu1jreed

It makes no sense to me.
My problem with that theory is that God is omniscient so he/she knew what the gunman was going to do before it happened. We have free will, but God knows what choice we will make. God knows all of the past, present, and future.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
I stated that everything is according to God's plan, according to Christianity.

Look, your "God" allegedly flooded the entire Earth and killed thousands and thousands of people who weren't worshipping him properly.

What's 19 extra schoolkids?

Your "god" is a homicidal maniac. Which might explain the current Republican Party as a whole, now that I think about it...

You don't get to have it both ways. If there's a "plan" there can't be free will. How could this 18 year old defy your god's "plan"? If it's part of the "plan", he HAD to go buy those weapons, go to that school, and slaughter those children.

Or are you going to tell us now that it WASN'T your god's plan after all?

I'm not going to convince you atheists.

My job is to inform, not convince. :)

My problem with that theory is that God is omniscient so he/she knew what the gunman was going to do before it happened. We have free will, but God knows what choice we will make. God knows all of the past, present, and future.

I like this analogy: suppose you're standing on top of a building and see a car driving into a brick wall.

You know the car is going to crash but you didn't cause it to happen.

Free will is like that.

@HawkFan1298, since you liked my post I assume you agree with what I said. In that case, why would God allow a person to be born that he/she knows will murder 19 children?

Well, in futherance of his "plan", your god directed an 18 year old to buy guns and ammunition, shoot his grandmother in the face, go to an elementary school, and kill two school teachers and 19 children. At least two of those children were decapitated by the shots that struck them. The survivors will deal for the rest of their lives with the horror of what they saw and heard. Anyone who worships that god is seriously disturbed.
Oh, you also left out the part of the plan where he directed a bunch of adults to sit around and do nothing while the slaughter was going on.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
@HawkFan1298, since you liked my post I assume you agree with what I said. In that case, why would God allow a person to be born that he/she knows will murder 19 children?

I liked your post because it was a thoughtful question and not the usual atheist drivel.

My answer to that question is I don't know. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Reactions: gohawks50
I like this analogy: suppose you're standing on top of a building and see a car driving into a brick wall.

Free will is like that.

The answer is that it is not "part of God's Plan".

It is part of "God's Design". God's Design of a world where there is free will. If God intervened for every bad thing, then you don't have free will.

That tragedies happen isn't according to any "plan", but rather a necessary aspect of a world in which people have "free will" to do good or bad.

Free will is like that.
An omnipotent, omniscient god would know the car was going to crash and would have the power to easily prevent it. Your god is more like a guy standing on the side of the road knowing the bridge around the corner has been washed out and doing nothing to stop the traffic headed for the precipice.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
An omnipotent, omniscient god would know the car was going to crash and would have the power to easily prevent it. Your god is more like a guy standing on the side of the road knowing the bridge around the corner has been washed out and doing nothing to stop the traffic headed for the precipice.

OK.

I think you're in atheist denial.

You're an atheist, you just won't admit it. :)

He said God has a plan. That makes sense to me, from a Christian perspective.

If the kids are in eternal joy, I bet they wouldn't want to come back to the Earth.

Would you? :)
"If the kids are in eternal joy". Sounds like you are not sure? BTW, most of those kids appeared to be happy and were looking forward to having a productive life on earth.

"If the kids are in eternal joy". Sounds like you are not sure? BTW, most of those kids appeared to be happy and were looking forward to having a productive life on earth.

I can't judge the fate of those kids but I'm very hopeful they're in eternal joy.

I'd bet my car on it.

You won't answer my very straight forward questions.

You're not gonna live another 40 years, Sir.

Time is short.
LOL...well, I'm 64 so 40 more healthy would be a blessing but it would have nothing to do with God.

Ask a relevant question. Your inconsistencies have been pointed out and you've simply dodged them. A person of true faith wouldn't have to do that.

LOL...well, I'm 64 so 40 more healthy would be a blessing but it would have nothing to do with God.

Ask a relevant question. Your inconsistencies have been pointed out and you've simply dodged them. A person of true faith wouldn't have to do that.

You've probably got another 10 years before your health implodes. Are you sure that trashing God is in your long term interest?

And I freely admit I can't know everything. No one can.

You've probably got another 10 years before your health implodes. Are you sure that trashing God is in your long term interest?

And I freely admit I can't know everything. No one can.
Yet, you can defend someone who claims that the slaughter of children is part of your god's plan. So you are claiming knowledge. So explain how the shooter could have exercised free will and defied your god's "plan". That is a simple question.

BTW - I'm not "trashing God". I'm trashing YOUR interpretation of a god who is a psychopathic killer.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkFan1298

It makes no sense to me.

Christians give God credit for all good and none of the blame for any of the bad. So this idea should make sense to you.

A cogent, thoughtful response.

And exactly what I expected.

I already explained how I can't know the answers to everything. No one can; not even you.

But, we're going to die in a few decades. That's guaranteed.

So in the meantime, I pray, hope and don't worry.

I already explained how I can't know the answers to everything. No one can; not even you.

But, we're going to die in a few decades. That's guaranteed.

So in the meantime, I pray, hope and don't worry.
Then it's pretty simple, don't make idiotic claims that fail the first time they're examined. Either your god has a plan or your god allows free will. You can't have both, Brian.

Reactions: gohawks50
Then it's pretty simple, don't make idiotic claims that fail the first time they're examined. Either your god has a plan or your god allows free will. You can't have both, Brian.

Of course, there can be both. The ultimate plan is a mystery to humans now.

Saint Paul wrote that we see through glass darkly in this world. He wrote that nearly 2,000 years ago.

We can hope the answers will be revealed to us in a couple decades.

Of course, there can be both. The ultimate plan is a mystery to humans now.

Saint Paul wrote that we see through glass darkly in this world. He wrote that nearly 2,000 years ago.

We can hope the answers will be revealed to us in a couple decades.
Then you can very simply explain how the shooter could have exercised free will and defied your god's "plan". This is not some trick question - it is central to your claim that both exist.

Then you can very simply explain how the shooter could have exercised free will and defied your god's "plan". This is not some trick question - it is central to your claim that both exist.

I can't know what God's plan is now exactly. But, I do believe the shooter had free will. I also believe he was probably demonic.

See, it's possible to debate most everything. How do you know we're not living in a Matrix controlled by Martians?

We don't.

But, we hope to find out one day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT