ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton goes after puberty blockers

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) said Thursday that his office has launched an investigation against two pharmaceutical companies that make puberty blockers used to treat children with gender dysphoria. The probe is the latest action taken by Paxton and Gov. Greg Abbott (R) to limit gender-affirming health care for transgender children. Paxton also sent a letter this week to the Austin Independent School District saying school officials were breaking the law by hosting a Pride Week, which includes lessons on diversity and acceptance.

In a release, Paxton said his office wants to determine whether AbbVie and Endo Pharmaceuticals broke state law by promoting the use of Lupron and Supprelin without disclosing the potential risks to children and their parents.
The Food and Drug Administration has only approved their use to treat precocious puberty. But physicians commonly prescribe drugs for unapproved, or “off-label,” uses, and puberty blockers have been used for years to delay the onset of puberty for children who are considering transitioning genders.

In late February, Paxton issued a legal opinion that said helping children medically transition could be considered child abuse. Abbott then issued a directive ordering child protective services to investigate parents who did so. A Texas appeals court recently reinstated a lower court’s temporary statewide injunction against the directive while a lawsuit challenging its legality works its way through the courts. On Thursday, Paxton asked the Texas Supreme Court to direct the court of appeals to withdraw the injunction.
In the past six months, two Texas hospitals stopped offering the blockers to trans children. Genecis, a Dallas-based health program that offered puberty blockers to trans children, closed last November, and the Houston-based Texas Children’s Hospital announced this month that it would pause its program offering blockers and hormone therapy to transgender children.

Ricardo Martinez, CEO of Equality Texas, criticized the investigation. “All kids, regardless of race, class, genders, sexual orientation or ability, deserve to live happy and authentic lives without government intrusion,” Martinez said. “The effort in Texas to ban transgender young people’s access to best-practice, lifesaving health care that has been endorsed by every major, credible medical association is an outrageous abuse of power and clear government intrusion.”

• Angry
Reactions: HawkMD and h-hawk
Why - just because he's been delaying his case for securities fraud for years now by subverting the system from within? That's just SOP for the GOP since Trump.
It's a prerequisite to be the GOP nominee for an office. Have outstanding, unresolved charges that can allow you to be bought and paid for.

Reactions: cigaretteman
No surgery is involved. Would you like the state government to tell you how to take care of your kid? I completed agree that transsexuals should not compete against biologicals but this seems like angry politics.
I don’t agree with off label prescriptions for children when they’re medically unnecessary.

I don’t agree with off label prescriptions for children when they’re medically unnecessary.
Not following. Do you believe that the state can tell a doctor and parents how they can treat the patient/kid? Do you work in a field that gives you special knowledge of off label prescriptions? Do you believe that Covid patients can take Ivermectin is they decide that is the treatment they prefer?

So you think Pride week should be banned too? Well, not surprising, bigots tend to support other bigots.
Definitely it should in schools, there is no place for it there. Hopefully that superintendent will be removed swiftly. Keep that crap out of schools.

Not supporting giving experimental puberty blockers with a massive amount of side effects to children = “you hate transsexuals, you’re a bigot!”

Reactions: Tfxchawk
Definitely it should in schools, there is no place for it there. Hopefully that superintendent will be removed swiftly. Keep that crap out of schools.
Why is there no place for it there? Why should the superintendent be removed? Do you think that school kids don't know about gay people? Are you under the assumption that there are no gay kids in schools? Or do you just want to go back to the old ways when they were bullied?

Not finding that in the article. Also, do you have a problem with transsexuals? You avoided the question earlier.
I have quibbles with their insistence on referring to them as women. When I deal with them personally, I just avoid using pronouns. They can do as they please as adults, just don’t expect me to play along.

I have quibbles with their insistence on referring to them as women. When I deal with them personally, I just avoid using pronouns. They can do as they please as adults, just don’t expect me to play along.
So it has nothing to do with experimental treatment. You just don’t approve of it. Very religious by chance?

So it has nothing to do with experimental treatment. You just don’t approve of it. Very religious by chance?
Lol not at all. Atheist. It’s not an approval problem it’s a freedom of speech issue.

BS. every boy has to go thru the fear of hiding a boner in gym class or public pool. Its part of becoming a man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT