ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has confessed to rigging the 2020 election in Texas to prevent it from being blue so that Trump would win the state.

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Texas AG Says Trump Would've 'Lost' State If It Hadn't Blocked Mail-in Ballots Applications Being Sent Out

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a Republican, said former President Donald Trump would have lost in Texas in the 2020 election if his office had not successfully blocked counties from mailing out applications for mail-in ballots to all registered voters.

Harris County, home to the city of Houston, wanted to mail out applications for mail-in ballots to its approximately 2.4 million registered voters due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the conservative Texas Supreme Court blocked the county from doing so after it faced litigation from Paxton's office.

"If we'd lost Harris County—Trump won by 620,000 votes in Texas. Harris County mail-in ballots that they wanted to send out were 2.5 million, those were all illegal and we were able to stop every one of them," Paxton told former Trump adviser Steve Bannon during the latter's War Room podcast on Friday.

"Had we not done that, we would have been in the very same situation—we would've been on Election Day, I was watching on election night and I knew, when I saw what was happening in these other states, that that would've been Texas. We would've been in the same boat. We would've been one of those battleground states that they were counting votes in Harris County for three days and Donald Trump would've lost the election," the Republican official said.

Notably, the Texas attorney general conflated mail-in ballots with applications for mail-in ballots in his remarks to Bannon. Harris County did not attempt to mail actual ballots to registered voters—just applications to request them if the individual voter wanted one.

As Paxton pointed out, Trump carried the traditionally conservative southwestern state by more than 600,000 votes. While President Joe Biden won 46.5 percent of the state's more than 11.3 million votes, Trump won about 52.1 percent. Polling ahead of the election had suggested that Biden had a shot at flipping the red state, which last went for a Democratic presidential candidate in 1976.

A 2020 analysis of U.S. election laws by Northern Illinois University ranked Texas as the most difficult state for voting. While absentee voting is allowed in the state for anyone over the age of 65 without an excuse, the state requires those younger to have a valid reason for requesting an absentee ballot. While Democrats believed the COVID-19 pandemic should be an acceptable excuse for any registered voter to cast their ballots by mail, Paxton and other Texas Republicans disagreed.

Meanwhile, GOP lawmakers in Texas want to make it more difficult to vote in the state. Their efforts have been largely animated by Trump's baseless claims that Biden won the 2020 election through widespread voter fraud. These false allegations have already been thoroughly litigated and wholly debunked, while the former president and his allies have failed to provide evidence to substantiate them.

Democratic lawmakers in the Texas state House blocked what they viewed as a voter suppression bill from moving forward at the end of May. The Democrats walked out of the late evening legislative session on May 30, denying Republican lawmakers quorum to pass the legislation. Although that successfully prevented the bill from moving forward, Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, has vowed to call a special session in a further effort to pass changes to the state's election laws.

Newsweek reached out to Paxton's office for further comment but did not immediately receive a response.

Yeah your thread title doesn’t even come close to matching the info in that article.

Trump is a moron and rednecks suck balls, but c’mon. We don’t have to match their level of disinformation.
Harris County, home to the city of Houston, wanted to mail out applications for mail-in ballots to its approximately 2.4 million registered voters due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the conservative Texas Supreme Court blocked the county from doing so after it faced litigation from Paxton's office.

"If we'd lost Harris County—Trump won by 620,000 votes in Texas. Harris County mail-in ballots that they wanted to send out were 2.5 million, those were all illegal and we were able to stop every one of them,"

Yeah your thread title doesn’t even come close to matching the info in that article.

Trump is a moron and rednecks suck balls, but c’mon. We don’t have to match their level of disinformation.
This is the headline:

Texas AG Says Trump Would've 'Lost' State If It Hadn't Blocked Mail-in Ballots Applications Being Sent Out​

If that's not rigging, what is? Article seems clear. If voters were allowed to have easy access to vote, Rs would have been phucked.

Fortunately Trump still lost despite scummy Texas republicans doing their best to obstruct voting rights. Eventually republicans will lose more and more races as the demographics continue their glacial shift against their party.
This is why Republicans are trying to recreate Texas all over the US. They simply cannot win on ideas that the American people want.

No way this is true.

So Newsweek made up this quote from Paxton?

“If we'd lost Harris County—Trump won by 620,000 votes in Texas. Harris County mail-in ballots that they wanted to send out were 2.5 million, those were all illegal and we were able to stop every one of them," Paxton told former Trump adviser Steve Bannon during the latter's War Room podcast on Friday.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Notably, the Texas attorney general conflated mail-in ballots with applications for mail-in ballots in his remarks to Bannon. Harris County did not attempt to mail actual ballots to registered voters—just applications to request them if the individual voter wanted one.

He did not conflate them. When you mail pre-filled applications to people, there is no way to confirm who they say they are. For instance, in Iowa, you have to provide your personal information when you request a ballot. Sending ballot applications with pre-filled information has no way to validate the person receiving the application to request a ballot and then the one completing the ballot, is the one in the same person.

Paxton is one of the biggest scumbags alive. He has worked as the AG for years while himself being under indictment. There’s a good chance that he ends up in prison.

Reactions: lucas80
Beyond the bullshit, Rs are ultimately fvcked. You can only suppress votes for so long. If a state like Texas can only stay red through rigging, the landscape looks bleak for the Rs.
It's what comes next you need to worry about. The TX legislature is in no danger of turning blue. Now give THEM the power to review the election results and determine who gets TX EC votes. That's what's passing as "election reform" in GQP states.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
At least Republicans tell you they are screwing you over. This is who Manchin wants bipartisanship with...
Manchin is not the least bit interested in bipartisanship. He could go to his own caucus yesterday and tell them, "I'll support the voting rights bill if you make these changes"..."I'll support the infrastructure bill if you make these changes". THEN go to the GQP and say, "Here's what I can support, are you in or out". All he's said is he won't support any legislation that doesn't get GQP votes.

Manchin likes the power he has right now and doesn't want to give it up. He's full of shit. It's time for the Dems to go to WV and talk to the people. This infrastructure bill will build a bridge here...fix a road there...give people access to high-speed internet...but we need EVERY vote to get you those things. Then turn them loose on Manchin.

He did not conflate them. When you mail pre-filled applications to people, there is no way to confirm who they say they are. For instance, in Iowa, you have to provide your personal information when you request a ballot. Sending ballot applications with pre-filled information has no way to validate the person receiving the application to request a ballot and then the one completing the ballot, is the one in the same person.
Stop trying to respond with calm logic and facts. Do you still bring a knive to your gunfights?
#pushback #firewithfire

Seems that you're quibbling about the OP's use of the word "rigged."

Maybe you have a point, but if that's all you've got, you've lost the argument.

Lots of elections are "legally rigged" in similar ways. We should fix that.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Seems that you're quibbling about the OP's use of the word "rigged."

Maybe you have a point, but if that's all you've got, you've lost the argument.

Lots of elections are "legally rigged" in similar ways. We should fix that.
I’m all for making voting easier, support things like mailing applications and believe opposing them is motivated by bad intentions. But it’s not “rigging”.

Words mean things.

Reactions: TheCainer
I’m all for making voting easier, support things like mailing applications and believe opposing them is motivated by bad intentions. But it’s not “rigging”.

Words mean things.
I'm glad (and not surprised) that you are on the right side of the important stuff. But picking on specific words to deflect from the important stuff is something the GOP has turned into an art form lately, so I tend to cringe when I see a poster I think of as one of the good guys doing the same.

For the OP's benefit, how would you rewrite his title to convey the same outrage, without crossing the line?

This is why Republicans are trying to recreate Texas all over the US. They simply cannot win on ideas that the American people want.
The only ideas they have anymore are what their Dark Money sugar daddies want.

I'm glad (and not surprised) that you are on the right side of the important stuff. But picking on specific words to deflect from the important stuff is something the GOP has turned into an art form lately, so I tend to cringe when I see a poster I think of as one of the good guys doing the same.

For the OP's benefit, how would you rewrite his title to convey the same outrage, without crossing the line?
“Texas AG admits that GOP led efforts to make voting more difficult in Houston area saved Texas for Trump”.

It’s not nitpicking because it’s important to not respond to GOP lies about “rigged” and “stolen” elections by making similarly false claims. This is not a “everyone does it” situation and we should not give them an opening to claim that it is. We have the moral and factual high ground and it should be protected.

“Texas AG admits that GOP led efforts to make voting more difficult in Houston area saved Texas for Trump”.

It’s not nitpicking because it’s important to not respond to GOP lies about “rigged” and “stolen” elections by making similarly false claims. This is not a “everyone does it” situation and we should not give them an opening to claim that it is. We have the moral and factual high ground and it should be protected.
You won me over - both your rewrite and your logic.

Good job.

"If we'd lost Harris County—Trump won by 620,000 votes in Texas. Harris County mail-in ballots that they wanted to send out were 2.5 million, those were all illegal and we were able to stop every one of them,"

Biden won Harris County (my home county) 56/43.

ADVERTISEMENT