ADVERTISEMENT

Texas authorities: Teacher did not leave door propped open before shooter entered school; door was closed, did not lock

gohawks50

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
I didn't trust this story from the beginning and it turns out I was right.

UVALDE, Texas —
The Robb Elementary School teacher who propped open an exterior door that law enforcement said a gunman used to get inside and kill 19 students and two teachers had closed the door but it did not lock, state police said Tuesday.

Investigators initially said the teacher had propped the door open with a rock and did not remove it before Salvador Ramos, 18, entered the building May 24. Investigators have now determined that the teacher, who has not been identified, removed the rock and closed the door when she realized there was a shooter on campus but that it did not lock, said Travis Considine, chief communications officer for the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Considine said the teacher initially propped the door open but ran back inside to get her phone and call 911 when Ramos crashed his truck.

“She came back out while on her phone, she heard someone yell, ‘He has a gun!’, she saw him jump the fence and that he had a gun, so she ran back inside,” removing the rock when she did, Considine said.

He continued: “We did verify she closed the door. The door did not lock. We know that much and now investigators are looking into why it did not lock.”

San Antonio attorney Don Flanery told the San Antonio Express-News that the Robb Elementary School employee, whom he's not naming, closed the door shut after realizing that a gunman was on the loose.

“She saw the wreck,” Flanary told the newspaper. “She ran back inside to get her phone to report the accident. She came back out while on the phone with 911. The men at the funeral home yelled, ‘He has a gun!’ She saw him jump the fence, and he had a gun so she ran back inside.

“She kicked the rock away when she went back in. She remembers pulling the door closed while telling 911 that he was shooting. She thought the door would lock because that door is always supposed to be locked.”

I'm not sure what Tejas law is, but in a lot of states, the State can come in and took over the local police stations.

My question from the beginning was how the guy got into the school. Every time I’ve been to a public or private school the last several years you always have to announce yourself and get buzzed in by the office. In fact the last several I’ve been in, when you are admitted you can only go into the office area and not the school.

These cowardly assholes will protect their own while they lie and cover up their mistakes that allowed this demented man to kill all those kids and teachers. Hope they rot in jail.

I’m not totally sure who did what yet. I haven’t heard much about it and I know that supposedly the cops were standing by……because it was a hostage situation?

Were they not aware that the shooter had already killed children? Or maybe he hadn’t yet….I don’t know as I haven’t seen a time line on all of this yet.

Also, was the school actually the target? I thought I heard he killed someone (possibly his grandmother?) then went on the run from the cops and came to the school???

Once again, how did he get in?

I’m not totally sure who did what yet. I haven’t heard much about it and I know that supposedly the cops were standing by……because it was a hostage situation?

Were they not aware that the shooter had already killed children? Or maybe he hadn’t yet….I don’t know as I haven’t seen a time line on all of this yet.

Also, was the school actually the target? I thought I heard he killed someone (possibly his grandmother?) then went on the run from the cops and came to the school???

Back door was shut but not locked. They assumed all of the students were dead and had the shooter locked in the room. But children were calling 911 asking for help, A federal agent stormed the room ignoring the local cops orders to wait.

How would the shooter know the back door was unlocked? Why did it take the officers so long to respond? Why are they in law enforcement if they are scared to do something about it? Why are they not cooperating? I can go on and on.... a lot of questions.

Back door was shut but not locked. They assumed all of the students were dead and had the shooter locked in the room. But children were calling 911 asking for help, A federal agent stormed the room ignoring the local cops orders to wait.

Forgive me because I haven’t heard hardly any of this except for a boarder patrol agent was the one who killed him.

The back door was how the shooter got in?

The cops thought all the children were dead but they were calling 911 for help? Why didn’t the cops just go in if they thought all the hostages were already deceased?

What’s incredibly tragic is that they were getting phone calls from inside the room….while they were in the hallway just outside the door. Idk what was going thru their heads, but several someones clearly screwed up royally here.

as for the door…im assuming they made the initial assumption that a propped open door was how he got in. It now seems clear it was closed, and either the lock was broken, or never reengaged when it closed again - maybe it didn’t close completely for some reason.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Forgive me because I haven’t heard hardly any of this except for a boarder patrol agent was the one who killed him.

The back door was how the shooter got in?

The cops thought all the children were dead but they were calling 911 for help? Why didn’t the cops just go in if they thought all the hostages were already deceased?
Getting the other children out became the priority I believe. There is some discrepancy about the 911 calls. If they were known about. It's all baffling. The commanding officer thought process. How could he possibly know all the children were dead. Based on no more rounds being spent, perhaps?

Another question I have is the initial report claimed the door was barricaded, if that was the case unlocking the door wouldn't have made their entry easy. They would have had to breach the barricade as well. So did the shooter actually block the door or was it simply locked?

Seems unfortunate that we need to rely on doors to lock automatically to protect our kids.
In my experience the door would be locked. The teacher obviously thought it was or she wouldn't have propped it. I'm guessing the door had been unlocked at some point and whoever unlocked it forgot to relock it again. The doors where I taught were locked with a key so you could go out, but when the door shut you couldn't get back in without a keycard..

Getting the other children out became the priority I believe. There is some discrepancy about the 911 calls. If they were known about. It's all baffling. The commanding officer thought process. How could he possibly know all the children were dead. Based on no more rounds being spent, perhaps?

I completely understand getting the other out of harms way, and I haven’t heard how large the police force was or if it was a combination of police and sheriffs department.

Like I said, I don’t know much about this incident. Except where it happened, how many lost their lives and that the shooter was killed by a boarder patrol agent.

Which brings up another point about, how did the boarder patrol agent go right in and tag the dude?

I’m not prepared to call LEOs cowards. I do understand needing cover when in a fire fight but from what I’m hearing in this thread and what I read, I don’t know how much gun exchange there actually was between the cops and the shooter.

My question from the beginning was how the guy got into the school. Every time I’ve been to a public or private school the last several years you always have to announce yourself and get buzzed in by the office. In fact the last several I’ve been in, when you are admitted you can only go into the office area and not the school.

I completely understand getting the other out of harms way, and I haven’t heard how large the police force was or if it was a combination of police and sheriffs department.

Like I said, I don’t know much about this incident. Except where it happened, how many lost their lives and that the shooter was killed by a boarder patrol agent.

Which brings up another point about, how did the boarder patrol agent go right in and tag the dude?

I’m not prepared to call LEOs cowards. I do understand needing cover when in a fire fight but from what I’m hearing in this thread and what I read, I don’t know how much gun exchange there actually was between the cops and the shooter.
I am completely ready to call these cops cowards. They waited because they were afraid of getting shot. They sat by while kids called 911 for help. They watched an off duty border patrol officer go in and kill that killer.

19 officers in the halls. I've read enough to say I don't trust a single thing coming from the locals unless verified by an outside review. Standard procedure is don't worry about the dead, wounded, or bystanders Take out the shooter is priority one to end the carnage. That was the lesson learned from Columbine. It's not a bank robbery. Hostages don't exist here. Only potential victims. I believe the commander put his officers lives over the kids in that room. And the officers deferred to following horrible orders.
The Border Patrol officer who took him out drove 40 miles to be there. This wasn't a split second error in judgment. They had a lot of time to realize how wrong this decision was.

I am completely ready to call these cops cowards. They waited because they were afraid of getting shot. They sat by while kids called 911 for help. They watched an off duty border patrol officer go in and kill that killer.

That’s your call to make. I need to hear more just because I personally know cops and they are traditionally cowards.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
19 officers in the halls. I've read enough to say I don't trust a single thing coming from the locals unless verified by an outside review. Standard procedure is don't worry about the dead, wounded, or bystanders Take out the shooter is priority one to end the carnage. That was the lesson learned from Columbine. It's not a bank robbery. Hostages don't exist here. Only potential victims. I believe the commander put his officers lives over the kids in that room. And the officers deferred to following horrible orders.
The Border Patrol officer who took him out drove 40 miles to be there. This wasn't a split second error in judgment. They had a lot of time to realize how wrong this decision was.

Yeah I didn’t hear this portion either

That’s your call to make. I need to hear more just because I personally know cops and they are traditionally cowards.
No. That's the job. That's the training. That is the training since columbine. That's the training they got 2 months earlier. They were too worried about their own asses to care about little kids getting killed and watching their friends get killed. For an HOUR!

No. That's the job. That's the training. That is the training since columbine. That's the training they got 2 months earlier. They were too worried about their own asses to care about little kids getting killed and watching their friends get killed. For an HOUR!
First press release highlight no officers seriously injured? Officers lives were the priority.

Yeah I didn’t hear this portion either

Texas Dept of Public Safety said 19 officers waited in the hall.

There was a barrage of gunfire shortly after Ramos entered the classroom where officers eventually killed him, but those shots were "sporadic" for much of the 48 minutes that officers waited in the hallway, McCraw said. He said investigators do not know if children died during that time.

All of the bolded part is new information to me. Like I said, I’ve known LEOs and coward isn’t a term that I would describe them as. Also with as much crap has been thrown at them lately, you’re telling me all 19 wouldn’t unload on this guy if given the chance?

Who prevented them from going in, they have an incident commander in these situations? Who was in charge and what were the orders given and for what reason?

All of the bolded part is new information to me. Like I said, I’ve known LEOs and coward isn’t a term that I would describe them as. Also with as much crap has been thrown at them lately, you’re telling me all 19 wouldn’t unload on this guy if given the chance?

Who prevented them from going in, they have an incident commander in these situations? Who was in charge and what were the orders given and for what reason?
This is readily available news. Ask why parents begged them to go in? They even handcuffed on mom. Eventually got one cop to remove the cuffs and she ran jumped the fence, found her kid and got out. Tell me why when all their training is telling them to stop the shooter no matter what they all sat there and waited! Then they covered up their incompetence. Now they are no longer cooperating with the investigation. Seems like good guys who did the right thing would do that. Right?!

This is readily available news. Ask why parents begged them to go in? They even handcuffed on mom. Eventually got one cop to remove the cuffs and she ran jumped the fence, found her kid and got out. Tell me why when all their training is telling them to stop the shooter no matter what they all sat there and waited! Then they covered up their incompetence. Now they are no longer cooperating with the investigation. Seems like good guys who did the right thing would do that. Right?!

All great questions

Reactions: ericram

Why don’t you go read about the story, then come back and join the discussion. Instead of just asking everyone to explain the biggest story of the past week, which you apparently didn’t care enough about to know the basic facts.

Why don’t you go read about the story, then come back and join the discussion. Instead of just asking everyone to explain the biggest story of the past week, which you apparently didn’t care enough about to know the basic facts.

Im sorry that you’re disturbed by questions that some others have as well.

If there’s one thing I know for sure, there’s no problem this board can’t solve.

If there’s one thing I know for sure, there’s no problem this board can’t solve.

FWIW - I’d recommend you spend an hour reading articles rather than asking questions on here. It’s all out there. A ton of very enlightening content. You’ll be able to form a non-HORT spun opinion on the matter - that is if if you haven’t already.

FWIW - I’d recommend you spend an hour reading articles rather than asking questions on here. It’s all out there. A ton of very enlightening content. You’ll be able to form a non-HORT spun opinion on the matter - that is if if you haven’t already.

I don’t really have a whole lot of thoughts besides some monster shot a bunch of kids.

"It's all out there."

The question is, what's true and what's not?

It's best to just let the investigation play out.

Well, if you ever decide to scratch beyond the most simplistic of surface issues, my recommendation still stands. HORT probably shouldn’t be your source of truth. Your call though.

News sources will be criticized no matter which network I listen to. It’s HROT

I don’t really have a whole lot of thoughts besides some monster shot a bunch of kids.
No thoughts on how we may prevent it from happening at another elementary school? No thoughts on it taking an hour to engage the shooter? None at all? It’s all just that simple?

News sources will be criticized no matter which network I listen to. It’s HROT

I’d recommend not letting HORT dictate what you think and / or bowing to HORT’s criticism on said beliefs once you’ve established them. You should be able to come up with a decision, and not be bothered by any criticism the HORT collective lays upon you.

And swag, c’mon man…HROT is so pre-Pepsi’s second coming. Get in here and straighten this guy out @Moral.

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT