ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Barta and the U of I

HawkCharlotte

HR MVP
Jul 17, 2005
According to Anbender, Ferentz’s buyout is equal to $6 million per year for the duration of his contract. Since Ferentz has eight years remaining on his deal with the Hawkeyes, that means that if Iowa were to fire Ferentz today, they would still owe him a mindblowing $48 million.

If that seems like a massive number for a head coach who hasn’t won a conference title since 2004 and has just a .582 winning percentage in Big Ten play, you are not alone.

According to Anbender, Ferentz’s buyout is equal to $6 million per year for the duration of his contract. Since Ferentz has eight years remaining on his deal with the Hawkeyes, that means that if Iowa were to fire Ferentz today, they would still owe him a mindblowing $48 million.

If that seems like a massive number for a head coach who hasn’t won a conference title since 2004 and has just a .582 winning percentage in Big Ten play, you are not alone.
Thats 20 million LESS then Chryst, and to be fair he's NEVER won a conference title so..... a bargain?

Thats 20 million LESS then Chryst, and to be fair he's NEVER won a conference title so..... a bargain?

According to the Milwaukee Sentinel what you said is not true. According to them the buyout is $16.8 million. So, Iowa would have to pay $30 million MORE than WI to get rid of Kirk.

The whole situation is a charlie foxtrot. In the world we live today, it's insane to make a contract so airtight that there's ZERO consequences if the team sucks. Welcome to that reality this year and some years to come. Iowa will virtually have the same offensive players for next few years.

EMBRACE THE SUCK

I thought you would be thanking him for all the success our programs at Iowa are having!

Reactions: owenhawk
Ferentz should not be fired, he's done enough to leave on his own terms. However I saw no point in Barta extending Kirk's contract as I believe it originally ended in 2025, so he still had like 4 years left on it when he extended it. I think the threat of losing Kirk to another school at this point in Kirks career was pretty minimal and had Barta not extended it, we as fans who are Ferentz weary would have the light at the end of the tunnel within plain view, instead of having to squint to see it way off yonder. ;)

According to the Milwaukee Sentinel what you said is not true. According to them the buyout is $16.8 million. So, Iowa would have to pay $30 million MORE than WI to get rid of Kirk.

The whole situation is a charlie foxtrot. In the world we live today, it's insane to make a contract so airtight that there's ZERO consequences if the team sucks. Welcome to that reality this year and some years to come. Iowa will virtually have the same offensive players for next few years.

EMBRACE THE SUCK
Not the players, it’s the philosophy/system.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Ferentz should not be fired, he's done enough to leave on his own terms. However I saw no point in Barta extending Kirk's contract as I believe it originally ended in 2025, so he still had like 4 years left on it when he extended it. I think the threat of losing Kirk to another school at this point in Kirks career was pretty minimal and had Barta not extended it, we as fans who are Ferentz weary would have the light at the end of the tunnel within plain view, instead of having to squint to see it way off yonder. ;)
"Leave on his own terms" is an idea that is good for no one. He's not a savior ... he's a football coach. Football coaches are paid to win games (it's not the entire reason, but it is the sine quo non).

It's a performance based job ... which is the reason he gets bonuses when they win. If a job has bonuses for winning then there's the opposed incentive--get let go if there's less winning.

The only aspect of the Iowa football that has stunk in the last 4 years is the aspect Ferentz Inc. is in charge of. Either get the offense going or Iowa should find someone else who can. It's like benching a player ... if a player can't perform the way they need to, they get benched. If a coach isn't performing, they get fired. This isn't rocket surgery.

KF will not be fired nor should he. He will retire when he decides he wants to. All the whining and bellyaching in the world from the haters won't change that.
This is the problem. This mentality. I don't think a lot of fans would be as apathetic as we are if we lost 30-27 to Michigan on a last second field goal in an entertaining, gut wrenching game. Bottom line is our offense is horrendous and the top man making the big bucks should be accountable for that. Not the ho hum, practice is going great crap we get... when all that lip service has never translated to the field.

"Leave on his own terms" is an idea that is good for no one. He's not a savior ... he's a football coach. Football coaches are paid to win games (it's not the entire reason, but it is the sine quo non).

It's a performance based job ... which is the reason he gets bonuses when they win. If a job has bonuses for winning then there's the opposed incentive--get let go if there's less winning.

The only aspect of the Iowa football that has stunk in the last 4 years is the aspect Ferentz Inc. is in charge of. Either get the offense going or Iowa should find someone else who can. It's like benching a player ... if a player can't perform the way they need to, they get benched. If a coach isn't performing, they get fired. This isn't rocket surgery.
Exactly. People act like he is a God. Winning percentage in conference play is not much above average. So we’re supposed to let Kirk decide when he’s going to leave no matter how bad it gets.

Well said, Charlotte.

Many people are irate about the KF buyout, but I seriously think that it is just for show; a way of showing that Iowa is committed to the coach. If it came right down to it and GB actually told KF that it was time to retire, a reasonable severance package would be negotiated, and KF would not hold the program hostage for $40+ million.

Many people are irate about the KF buyout, but I seriously think that it is just for show; a way of showing that Iowa is committed to the coach. If it came right down to it and GB actually told KF that it was time to retire, a reasonable severance package would be negotiated, and KF would not hold the program hostage for $40+ million.
Cults are popular these days, KF definitely has a bunch of cult followers

If enough pressure is levied upon Barta, then he'll have no choice but to fire Brian.

Then Kirk can do whatever he wants. It's not on Kirk whether Brian ultimately stays or not.

If Kirk wants to retire....okay....bye.

Gonna suck losing Phil and the recruits, but hey......fans want change. No big deal, what's a few more years for a rebuild at Iowa.

Ideally, though, KF sees the writing on the wall, swallows the pill and lets Brian go, and brings in someone who can galvanize the offensive side as Kirk begins to prepare for his eventual retirement shortly after, because let's face it, once Brian is canned, Kirk won't be sticking around much longer regardless.

I think his best course of action, though, is to at least see these current couple of recruiting classes into the program to keep some sort of stability for the next regime.

A messy breakup would be the absolute worst case scenario for Iowa and something I don't think anyone, including Kirk, wants.

I suggest the bitter and jaded fans who want Kirk fired perhaps, oh I don't know........*checks notes*......................deal with it.

But also because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.

Cults are popular these days, KF definitely has a bunch of cult followers
Cult followers? Kirk Ferentz is as much a part of Iowa football as anyone on the team. We support the team and everyone on it.; When we win everyone wins. When we lose everyone loses. Not everyone is right all the time. I am sure if you ask my wife she would be glad to give you examples just as your wife, girlfriend, or mother could. Because we support the team good, bad, or ugly that makes us a cult? Maybe you should go find a VERY short fire hydrant to pee on. That you could probably accomplish! Go hawks!

Do you think Mary would go along with that? She might think what that $40 million could do for the trust funds for grandkids and great grandkids. I doubt if KF makes financial decisions without her input.

Reactions: Hawkdome
After 24 years as the head coach do you really think Ferentz best years are ahead of him? He elevated the program and took us as high as he could take us. We play in a crap division where we make a run at something special every 7-8 years. I would rather see what’s behind door #2. If we played in Big Ten East we would be 7-5 at best every year.
Guys- two games ago we had 1 catch for 10 yards by a WR. Our TE leads the team in catches and yards. Ferentz does not step down in his own terms, he is not bigger than the program. I was a Hawkeye before he arrived and will be one after. The whole department needs to be overhauled, including sports marketing. They’ve all been there for 25 years running the same playbook since the 90’s. Time for a change, bring in creativity to the athletic department and an offense thats not so predictable that Ray Charles sees what’s coming.

This is the problem. This mentality. I don't think a lot of fans would be as apathetic as we are if we lost 30-27 to Michigan on a last second field goal in an entertaining, gut wrenching game. Bottom line is our offense is horrendous and the top man making the big bucks should be accountable for that. Not the ho hum, practice is going great crap we get... when all that lip service has never translated to the field.
I judge KF by his total body of work and the man that he is. I'm unhappy with the offensive unit and very disappointed with the lack improvement with the OL and Petras. Tough times don't last but tough people do. That so-called lip service has translated to the field with many big wins over the years. It will again.

This is the key. At his age and level of success, NOBODY would have hired him away. Even if he got an offer, he wouldn't have taken it because of his family ties in Iowa City. That extention was sheer incompetence on the part of Barta. I'd like to see an investigation into whether he had the authority to do that on his own or if he had to get permission and if so, from who.

Last edited:

Any talk about firing Kirk is just damm stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT