ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Barta and the U of I

I judge KF by his total body of work and the man that he is. I'm unhappy with the offensive unit and very disappointed with the lack improvement with the OL and Petras. Tough times don't last but tough people do. That so-called lip service has translated to the field with many big wins over the years. It will again.
Wisconsin is not thinking like this.

Ferentz should not be fired, he's done enough to leave on his own terms. However I saw no point in Barta extending Kirk's contract as I believe it originally ended in 2025, so he still had like 4 years left on it when he extended it. I think the threat of losing Kirk to another school at this point in Kirks career was pretty minimal and had Barta not extended it, we as fans who are Ferentz weary would have the light at the end of the tunnel within plain view, instead of having to squint to see it way off yonder. ;)
What if he didn’t win another game this year and had a similar season next year? I’m not sure why Barta gave Kirk such a large buyout and salary. He wasn’t going anywhere else, so why give such a contract?

KF is 48-20 in the last 5 years. Ranks 9th best in the country amongst P5 teams.
Extremely inflated stat, I've broken it down before, when you dig into those numbers it's not all that impressive. we are around a 33% winning percentage against ranked squads. He has feasted on an extremely weak non-conference and Big Ten West during that period. We have mostly dodged Michigan and Ohio St during that time.

Extremely inflated stat, I've broken it down before, when you dig into those numbers it's not all that impressive. we are around a 33% winning percentage against ranked squads. He has feasted on an extremely weak non-conference and Big Ten West during that period. We have mostly dodged Michigan and Ohio St during that time.
Meh, f*** Michigan and the. They don't need anymore wins from us.

(P.S. Oh btw Michigan dodged us in 2020....quite literally in fact. Jim Harbaugh knew what he was doing, unfortunately.)

Reactions: BBHawk
I judge KF by his total body of work and the man that he is. I'm unhappy with the offensive unit and very disappointed with the lack improvement with the OL and Petras. Tough times don't last but tough people do. That so-called lip service has translated to the field with many big wins over the years. It will again.
I agree with everything you said....until the last sentence. I see no reason to believe that this program will thrive anymore with KF at the helm. He has a dangerous combination of stubbornness for his old ways and complacency. He is toast, and so are we until he decides to step away...

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15 and BBHawk
KF will not be fired nor should he. He will retire when he decides he wants to. All the whining and bellyaching in the world from the haters won't change that.
Exactly. He has averaged over eight wins the last ten years. Iowa ranks in the top 20 over the past ten years nationally. Heck they won 10 games a year ago. Whiners are going to whine.

What if he didn’t win another game this year and had a similar season next year? I’m not sure why Barta gave Kirk such a large buyout and salary. He wasn’t going anywhere else, so why give such a contract?
There really wasn't a need to give Kirk an extension IMOP. The ONLY way Kirk gets fired is if (like you said) Iowa does not win another game this year, I could see Kirk getting himself on the hot seat depending on what happens next season. Lets say he finishes with 3 wins this season and 3 or 4 next I could see a possibility that Kirk would just retire rather then waiting for the fan base to show up at Barta's office with torches and pitch forks demanding his firing. If what Cory Brada of Eye of the Hawkeye Storm was saying weeks ago that Brian had looked for another job at the end of last season is true, I would be surprised if he did not resign at season's end if Iowa's Iowa offense continues to be offensive and Iowa finishes with a .500 record or worse.

I have said this before to an extent, but if Kirk is to remain the coach, this is what I would like to see happen. Brian steps down as OC. The OL coach Barnett is dismissed and Brian takes over as OL coach, then go OUTSIDE the Iowa football facility and HIRE an OC with an offensive mind who has a history of success, and turn the offense loose. My dream is that Kirk would retire at the end of the season and Bob Stoops would be named the next Hawkeye coach. Of course, my dreams never come true. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: SI_NYC
There really wasn't a need to give Kirk an extension IMOP. The ONLY way Kirk gets fired is if (like you said) Iowa does not win another game this year, I could see Kirk getting himself on the hot seat depending on what happens next season. Lets say he finishes with 3 wins this season and 3 or 4 next I could see a possibility that Kirk would just retire rather then waiting for the fan base to show up at Barta's office with pitch forks and torches demanding his firing. If what Cory Brada of Eye of the Hawkeye Storm was saying weeks ago that Brian had looked for another job at the end of last season is true, I would be surprised if he did not resign at season's end if Iowa's Iowa offense continues to be offensive and Iowa finishes with a .500 record or worse.

I have said this before to an extent, but if Kirk is to remain the coach, this is what I would like to see happen. Brian steps down as OC. The OL coach Barnett is dismissed and Brian takes over as OL coach, then go OUTSIDE the Iowa football facility and HIRE an OC with an offensive mind who has a history of success, and turn the offense loose. My dream is that Kirk would retire at the end of the season and Bob Stoops would be named the next Hawkeye coach. Of course, my dreams never come true. LOL
If Iowa were to lose all of the trophy games again, which would include losing to 2 interim head coaches, as well as Illinois, with a second-year head coach, which in all would be ending 4 long winning streaks this season, not to mention what will almost certainly be an inexcusable 4th loss to Purdue in 5 years, KF should be told that it is time for the next stage of his life. His hanging on will only make things worse. Won't be nearly as many big-time programs hiring new head coaches this off-season compared to last. This would be a good year to hire.

If what I mentioned above happens and both KF and BF are back next year, GB needs to be fired.

After 24 years as the head coach do you really think Ferentz best years are ahead of him? He elevated the program and took us as high as he could take us. We play in a crap division where we make a run at something special every 7-8 years. I would rather see what’s behind door #2. If we played in Big Ten East we would be 7-5 at best every year.
Guys- two games ago we had 1 catch for 10 yards by a WR. Our TE leads the team in catches and yards. Ferentz does not step down in his own terms, he is not bigger than the program. I was a Hawkeye before he arrived and will be one after. The whole department needs to be overhauled, including sports marketing. They’ve all been there for 25 years running the same playbook since the 90’s. Time for a change, bring in creativity to the athletic department and an offense thats not so predictable that Ray Charles sees what’s coming.
Sports marketing? You mean the same department that has sold out this season again?

Ferentz should not be fired, he's done enough to leave on his own terms. However I saw no point in Barta extending Kirk's contract as I believe it originally ended in 2025, so he still had like 4 years left on it when he extended it. I think the threat of losing Kirk to another school at this point in Kirks career was pretty minimal and had Barta not extended it, we as fans who are Ferentz weary would have the light at the end of the tunnel within plain view, instead of having to squint to see it way off yonder. ;)
Correct. Multiple things can be true. KF's record indicates that he should not be fired if Iowa goes 6-6 or 7-5 or worse this year. Literally that is insane for Iowa to do that.

It can also be true that the extensions that Barta has handed out to both KF and Fran are ridiculous. I get being loyal to your coaches and creating an environment where they want to stay. But Barta acts like Iowa would be incapable of hiring another coach should the football or basketball coach depart. It's dumb. You are the AD, you should know the value of your programs. Barta seems to operate in a way where the most important thing is that he doesn't have to hire a new coach in the most high profile programs. That is not his job.

The long extensions greatly hamstring the university if the environment changes so that a coaching change is warranted. Make it nearly impossible to move on from a coach. What real leverage does KF or Fran have in their 60s? So they really want to go build another program at their ages? Okay, if so you wish them well and hire another good coach.

This is the problem. This mentality. I don't think a lot of fans would be as apathetic as we are if we lost 30-27 to Michigan on a last second field goal in an entertaining, gut wrenching game. Bottom line is our offense is horrendous and the top man making the big bucks should be accountable for that. Not the ho hum, practice is going great crap we get... when all that lip service has never translated to the field.
Bullshit. The mentality you and some others have is that you would RATHER lose 30-27 in a more "entertaining" game than win 14 - 10. Again, Ferentz is in the midst of literally the best 5-7 year performance by an Iowa football coach post-1960. That's 60+ years.

That's fine to be mad about the Offense but those wanting to run KF off are borderline brain dead.

Correct. Multiple things can be true. KF's record indicates that he should not be fired if Iowa goes 6-6 or 7-5 or worse this year. Literally that is insane for Iowa to do that.

It can also be true that the extensions that Barta has handed out to both KF and Fran are ridiculous. I get being loyal to your coaches and creating an environment where they want to stay. But Barta acts like Iowa would be incapable of hiring another coach should the football or basketball coach depart. It's dumb. You are the AD, you should know the value of your programs. Barta seems to operate in a way where the most important thing is that he doesn't have to hire a new coach in the most high profile programs. That is not his job.

The long extensions greatly hamstring the university if the environment changes so that a coaching change is warranted. Make it nearly impossible to move on from a coach. What real leverage does KF or Fran have in their 60s? So they really want to go build another program at their ages? Okay, if so you wish them well and hire another good coach.
I can agree with this. The extensions don't make a lot of sense.

Many people are irate about the KF buyout, but I seriously think that it is just for show; a way of showing that Iowa is committed to the coach. If it came right down to it and GB actually told KF that it was time to retire, a reasonable severance package would be negotiated, and KF would not hold the program hostage for $40+ million.
And you know this how? Barta has left KF with ALL the leverage in this situation. KF wouldn't have to negotiate anything. He has an ironclad contract and, should he be fired, he would take every dollar. Why wouldn't he? I mean he did hire his unqualified son as the OC and added the title of QB coach after his son delivered one of the ten worst offenses in the nation. And his son continues to hold both those jobs despite being the 130th best offense of 131 teams in the nation right now.

The KF contract extensions have been unjustified since the first one. The latest one was as asinine as it gets. Old man Kirk is on nobody's short list. And even if he were, so what? People act like KF is immortal, that he will coach Iowa football forever and a day when, for those of us who live in the real world, KF is a flawed head coach who most schools would have shown the door in 2014. Instead, at Iowa he has carte blanche. He is accountable to no one. And so you have a laughingstock of an offense led by an immobile QB who practices great, we're told, but who doesn't handle the games very well. But it all pays the same if you're Kirk "untouchable" Ferentz.

Yep.

You're also bat shit crazy if you think the buyout terms in his contract are reasonable. Barta basically bent over and begged Kirk to give it to him.
Those are two separate things. I haven't seen anyone say they think the extension/buyout made a ton of sense. I HAVE seen people say that KF should be fired.

Reactions: BonzoFury
Wisconsin is not thinking like this.
There is also no guarantee it will pay off. There is more likelihood they spiral down toward the Nebraska path as there is that the next HC has Wisconsin winning 75%+ of their games - which is what has to happen for the next coach to take the next step-up from Chryst. Everyone acts like it is a foregone conclusion that the change will mean better results.

Those are two separate things. I haven't seen anyone say they think the extension/buyout made a ton of sense. I HAVE seen people say that KF should be fired.
Correct. It's as if people have difficulty managing 2 trains of thought. I get there is a faction of the fan base that thinks KF should be gone. I think that is a very small part of the base. There is an element in every fan base that wants to fire the coach outside of Saban. My opinion is it would be program suicide to fire him for going 6-6 or worse, after what Iowa has done under KF since 2015.

The extension is also ridiculous for reasons I cited in another post. Way over the top job protection that was not commensurate with the risk to him leaving.

I agree with everything you said....until the last sentence. I see no reason to believe that this program will thrive anymore with KF at the helm. He has a dangerous combination of stubbornness for his old ways and complacency. He is toast, and so are we until he decides to step away..
That is exactly what the fan base said coming off the 2014 season. He made some adjustments and the program improved since then.

There is also no guarantee it will pay off. There is more likelihood they spiral down toward the Nebraska path as there is that the next HC has Wisconsin winning 75%+ of their games - which is what has to happen for the next coach to take the next step-up from Chryst. Everyone acts like it is a foregone conclusion that the change will mean better results.

Correct. It struck me as odd that they moved on from him now. I would get it to an extent if they canned him after they had a bad year. But this is how you treat a loyal soldier and good coach? Firing him mid-season? Frost was canned as much for his off the field behavior, combined with the on-field results.

Was Jim Leohnard really going to bolt to another college job or the NFL before the end of the college season? I think not. My guess is programs will be less patient going forward as the money continues to increase. Less patience for riding it out.

Reactions: owenhawk
Yes, but they are connected. Barta has ZERO leverage to push for change (like moving Brian out of OC) when he's given KFz all the cards.

Reactions: owenhawk
If enough pressure is levied upon Barta, then he'll have no choice but to fire Brian.

Then Kirk can do whatever he wants. It's not on Kirk whether Brian ultimately stays or not.

If Kirk wants to retire....okay....bye.

Gonna suck losing Phil and the recruits, but hey......fans want change. No big deal, what's a few more years for a rebuild at Iowa.

Ideally, though, KF sees the writing on the wall, swallows the pill and lets Brian go, and brings in someone who can galvanize the offensive side as Kirk begins to prepare for his eventual retirement shortly after, because let's face it, once Brian is canned, Kirk won't be sticking around much longer regardless.

I think his best course of action, though, is to at least see these current couple of recruiting classes into the program to keep some sort of stability for the next regime.

A messy breakup would be the absolute worst case scenario for Iowa and something I don't think anyone, including Kirk, wants.

I suggest the bitter and jaded fans who want Kirk fired perhaps, oh I don't know........*checks notes*......................deal with it.

But also because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.
All of this. Not a team in the country would keep BF around with his performance since he has been here. And if his last name wasnt what it is, then I dont think KF would even keep him here. So if Barta fires BF and KF gets mad, then dont hire your son and put him in this position. If you only keep your job because of your dad then thats straight up nepotism. Honestly, if it makes KF mad and he leaves than so be it. Its not fair to the university, the program and the fans.

That is exactly what the fan base said coming off the 2014 season. He made some adjustments and the program improved since then.
Maybe some people were saying that, but not nearly as many as now, since it's obvious. Plus, rebuilding a dead offense at age 59 is a bit more realistic than at age 67.

Edit - KF also had a future NFL QB and 4 future NFL OL on the roster going into 2015. He has nowhere close to any of that now.

Last edited:
If enough pressure is levied upon Barta, then he'll have no choice but to fire Brian.

Then Kirk can do whatever he wants. It's not on Kirk whether Brian ultimately stays or not.

If Kirk wants to retire....okay....bye.

Gonna suck losing Phil and the recruits, but hey......fans want change. No big deal, what's a few more years for a rebuild at Iowa.

Ideally, though, KF sees the writing on the wall, swallows the pill and lets Brian go, and brings in someone who can galvanize the offensive side as Kirk begins to prepare for his eventual retirement shortly after, because let's face it, once Brian is canned, Kirk won't be sticking around much longer regardless.

I think his best course of action, though, is to at least see these current couple of recruiting classes into the program to keep some sort of stability for the next regime.

A messy breakup would be the absolute worst case scenario for Iowa and something I don't think anyone, including Kirk, wants.

I suggest the bitter and jaded fans who want Kirk fired perhaps, oh I don't know........*checks notes*......................deal with it.

But also because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.
I think Kirk plans on retiring after the Vikings win a Super Bowl.

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
ADVERTISEMENT