ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Gary Barta for scheduling the….

It seems like most of the power 5 teams are now playing more neutral site games ( Bama and a few others) when they play a big team. In the early Ferentz years we played K state at Arrowhead. I understand the need for that 7th home game. Every once in awhile it would be nice to get one of those big early season neutral site games but is what it is I guess.

Ya sure about that?

Boston College
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami (FL)

All played 6 home games and TWO P5 teams in the non-conference.

That’s just in the ACC, the first conference I looked at. I can keep going if you’d like?

ACC and P12 play more P5 games because they can't fill their stadiums for cupcakes.

They are also sliding into Middle 3 status, and aren't comparable to Iowa.

Iowa compares to B1G and SEC teams. Find some of those with two P5 OOC. Michigan played zero. Those are Iowa's peers.

C'mon man. Just look through the SEC and Big Ten schedules and tell us who is doing it in those two conferences.

Bama has MIddle Tennessee, South Florida and Chattanooga for 2023.

Georgia has UT Martin, Ball State and UAB.
Georgia played neutral site games against Oregon and Georgia Tech this season. Only had 6 true home games.

I get it, it’s even more difficult with a 9-game conference schedule. But would it kill the football program and AD to throw us fans this little bread crumb?

Georgia played neutral site games against Oregon and Georgia Tech this season. Only had 6 true home games.

I get it, it’s even more difficult with a 9-game conference schedule. But would it kill the football program and AD to throw us fans this little bread crumb?

Georgia has a new NFL stadium that is 70 miles from their campus where they were the decisive home team vs. Oregon. They played GT at home. If Des Moines had a shiny new NFL stadium, I could see Iowa scheduling a game there. But it is dumb to give up a home game to play in Chicago or KC and split the stadium with another fanbase.

Throw a bread crumb? Iowa fans love the ISU game and turn out in droves for it every year. The only games with similar demand are Ohio State and Michigan. Back when we hosted Arizona State, Arizona and others, those single game tickets were priced below ISU/OSU/UM. ISU single game tickets (when they existed) were priced comparable to OSU and UM. The ISU game is the single most profitable game on our schedule, as the return trip is as cheap as it gets.

Internet fans love to think "we have strong revenues, so let's lose 5% of our revenue because I think it would be cooler." People who run $100M organizations don't give away 5% of their revenue for kicks.

35th, 20th, 23rd, 13th, 27th, 10th & 44th ranked schedule the last 7 years…

Thought it would be good to have this at the top of the board so the dopes that think we win games because we play an awful schedule have a place to go and correct themselves….

here's the list of schools barta had an influence in scheduling from 2015 to 2022:

ill st
pitt
n tx
miami, not that miami
nd st, L
wy
n tx, again
n ill
uni
miami, again not that miami
mid tn
kent st
co st
sd st
nv

if anything you should be pissed at barta for dragging down our sos. words have meaning. weak argument, just like our non conf schedule.

Except thanking GB for
What other ADs are giving up the 7th home game to schedule a second P5 OOC game? They aren't any, so stop using that straw man.

Everyone else is playing one P5 and two cupcakes. Michigan played 8 home games this year, with giant OOC games against Colorado State, Hawaii and UConn. They had a worse schedule ranking than Iowa, yet had no p
I think I understand your thinking. In a round about away that the Big 10 West schedules are just as tough as the Big 10 East. The Big !0 west has never won a Big 10 Championship since these divisions were created and some of the games were totally lopsided. In the final AP poll this year there were 3 East teams in the top 10. The west didnt have a team in the top 25. Your just embarrassing yourself. I agree Michigans non conference schedule was a joke. OSU has had home and aways with USC, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame. Most of thes teams were much better teams when they played. Dont say Im a troll, I went to my 1rst Iowa when I was 7 and have been in every Big 10 stadium except MSU in the original Big 10. Its guys like you that make the informed Iowa fans look stupid. 2024 ends all this.

Georgia has a new NFL stadium that is 70 miles from their campus where they were the decisive home team vs. Oregon. They played GT at home. If Des Moines had a shiny new NFL stadium, I could see Iowa scheduling a game there. But it is dumb to give up a home game to play in Chicago or KC and split the stadium with another fanbase.

Throw a bread crumb? Iowa fans love the ISU game and turn out in droves for it every year. The only games with similar demand are Ohio State and Michigan. Back when we hosted Arizona State, Arizona and others, those single game tickets were priced below ISU/OSU/UM. ISU single game tickets (when they existed) were priced comparable to OSU and UM. The ISU game is the single most profitable game on our schedule, as the return trip is as cheap as it gets.

Internet fans love to think "we have strong revenues, so let's lose 5% of our revenue because I think it would be cooler." People who run $100M organizations don't give away 5% of their revenue for kicks.
Not a lot here to argue with. I’m an Iowa football fan, heck a sports fan in general, I’ve fully accepted that what I want and what will happen are often not the same.

Reactions: Bishop1971
here's the list of schools barta had an influence in scheduling from 2015 to 2022:

ill st
pitt
n tx
miami, not that miami
nd st, L
wy
n tx, again
n ill
uni
miami, again not that miami
mid tn
kent st
co st
sd st
nv

if anything you should be pissed at barta for dragging down our sos. words have meaning. weak argument, just like our non conf schedule.

All I care about is total SOS and it has been good

• Haha
Reactions: MethMouthIowan
Someone on here in another forum nailed it when they said TCU could beat Georgia, but TCU would have to do everything nearly flawless and Georgia probably would still have to have some mistakes. To me that is the same boat Iowa will pretty much always be in also (such as the 2017 game against Ohio State). When Georgia and Alabama vacuum up all the 5 stars they can handle it is just hard to overcome. With all that talent why don't they schedule much tougher OOC schedule.

When Georgia and Alabama vacuum up all the 5 stars they can handle it is just hard to overcome. With all that talent why don't they schedule much tougher OOC schedule.

There is basically zero reason for them to schedule tougher games. Tougher games means more possible losses which means their CFP chances go down.

They already sell out all their games. The best plan for them is to play 8 conference games, 1 OOC P5 game, then 3 cupcakes (with one being the penultimate game of the regular season) and laugh their way to the CFP.

I just figured the whole premise with the perpetually weak OOC schedule is making sure they have 7 home games in most seasons.

Pay a weak opponent a tidy sum and not worry about a return game at the other team's stadium.

Iowa will never be more than a tier 2 program. The occasional stellar season is the exception, not the rule.

Just the way it is.

• Haha
I just figured the whole premise with the perpetually weak OOC schedule is making sure they have 7 home games in most seasons.

Pay a weak opponent a tidy sum and not worry about a return game at the other team's stadium.

Iowa will never be more than a tier 2 program. The occasional stellar season is the exception, not the rule.

Just the way it is.
The population of tier 1 is maybe 8 teams.

There is basically zero reason for them to schedule tougher games. Tougher games means more possible losses which means their CFP chances go down.

They already sell out all their games. The best plan for them is to play 8 conference games, 1 OOC P5 game, then 3 cupcakes (with one being the penultimate game of the regular season) and laugh their way to the CFP.

Other than 23, Georgia plays two OOC P5s every year through 2032. They have games against Clemson, UCLA, Florida State, and Ohio State. Georgia Tech is their version of Iowa State-they play them every year. In 2026, their OOC schedule is UCLA, WKU, Louisville, and GA Tech.
Wake me up when Iowa plays an OOC schedule like that

• Haha
Other than 23, Georgia plays two OOC P5s every year through 2032. They have games against Clemson, UCLA, Florida State, and Ohio State. Georgia Tech is their version of Iowa State-they play them every year. In 2026, their OOC schedule is UCLA, WKU, Louisville, and GA Tech.

Will do!

35th, 20th, 23rd, 13th, 27th, 10th & 44th ranked schedule the last 7 years…

Thought it would be good to have this at the top of the board so the dopes that think we win games because we play an awful schedule have a place to go and correct themselves….

BN should read this

If we were loading up on 5 stars like GEorgia does every year I think we would do the same.

Georgia plays 8 conference games so when they play 2 power five schools they get to 10 just like Iowa. If they were required to play 9 conference games and GA Tech every year I doubt they play another power 5.

Reactions: ichawk24
Georgia plays 8 conference games so when they play 2 power five schools they get to 10 just like Iowa. If they were required to play 9 conference games and GA Tech every year I doubt they play another power 5.

Yeah their OOC games I referenced> Rutgers and Indiana. I don't care how many conference games you play if those teams suck.

You can probably thank Iowa State more than Gary Barta.

It really depends who Iowa plays from the East from one year to the next.
Which year was 10th? I'm not sure if your list is running backward or forward

Iowa St. 6 times combined record of 37-39
Miami of Ohio twice combined record of 14-12
North Texas 9-5
Wyoming 8-5
Northern Illinois 8-6
Kent St. 7-7
Middle Tennessee St. 4-8
Colorado St. 3-9
Nevada 2-10
FCS North Dakota St.
FCS Northern Iowa
FCS South Dakota St.
As Quintana said, not exactly powerhouses scheduled by Barta. And I don't think he should get credit for the big ten teams we have to play anyway.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT