ADVERTISEMENT

That Cindy Axne!

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Now Cindy Axne (D) she won’t listen to the “will of the people” and refuses to Sign a “term limits” agreement that 82% of Iowa voters support! She is currently serving her second term in Congress and is running for her third term.
Conversely, Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley is running for his 8th term as a US Senator....Previos to the US Senate, Grassley served 6 years in the US House...I believe both of these positions are “full time” funded 100% by tax payers....but, no mention of Grassley signing or not signing this “will of the people” demand! Why might that be??

Since you have a firm policy against providing links and you seldom provide context either, I’m going to assume you’re referring to the ad created by the “Term Limits Action” PAC.

The explanation for your query is simple. This particular ad campaign specifically targets members of the House of Representatives as well as House candidates in the upcoming election who refuse to sign the pledge. Axne is in the House, Grassley is in the Senate. That’s why there is an ad targeting Axne but none targeting Grassley.

And in case anyone is wondering, the ad campaign targets several Republicans, not just Democrats.

Last edited:
Now Cindy Axne (D) she won’t listen to the “will of the people” and refuses to Sign a “term limits” agreement that 82% of Iowa voters support! She is currently serving her second term in Congress and is running for her third term.
Conversely, Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley is running for his 8th term as a US Senator....Previos to the US Senate, Grassley served 6 years in the US House...I believe both of these positions are “full time” funded 100% by tax payers....but, no mention of Grassley signing or not signing this “will of the people” demand! Why might that be??
If 82% really felt strongly about it, they’d vote them out.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Now tell me how long my president has held national public office. Hint: 50 years, 2 more than Grassley...

State legislator does not = " national office." Sorry about the reading comprehension. Biden has done well for graduating 76 in a class of 85...
And if you wanna get real technical here James...the last two “public offices” Biden has held are indeed “term limited”.... and when his office time was up as VP, old Joe voluntarily left office.....just like he’ll do when his Presidential days are over. Unlike his predecessor...

So 48 vs. 50 or 46 vs 48 or add in the years as a public defender and CG's as a local legislator then both have suckled at the government teat for over a half century. What was your point again?
Why does this “public interest group” pick on the lady who has been in Congress for 4 years but they say noting of the pig who has been at the trough for damn near 50 years…

Not that simple. You know that.
If there are going to be democratic reforms that require a constitutional amendment, we can do better than term limits. If you JUST limit terms and nothing else changes, you just end up with a bunch of inexperienced legislators walking in with bills written by the people who finance their campaigns. If we're going discuss amending the constitution, I'd rather tackle how the campaigns are financed.

Poli-fi plotline: Congress passes Congressional term limits with simple majority vote and POTUS signs off. Chuck Grassley sues and passes away before first hearing. Estate of Chuck Grassley wins case and term limits found unconstitutional. Iowans vote for Estate of Chuck Grassley, a proven winner with name recognition.

Reactions: joelbc1
Grassley is the 13th longest serving member of Congress. Of the 12 who have served longer, 11 are Democrats. Longevity in government is dominated by Democrats and it's not even close. Be careful what you wish for...

And how does this factoid change any thing? Axne has been office 4 years… and this political PAC is insinuating she is the political outlier?

Why does this “public interest group” pick on the lady who has been in Congress for 4 years but they say noting of the pig who has been at the trough for damn near 50 years…
I explained it to you in post #2.

If there are going to be democratic reforms that require a constitutional amendment, we can do better than term limits. If you JUST limit terms and nothing else changes, you just end up with a bunch of inexperienced legislators walking in with bills written by the people who finance their campaigns. If we're going discuss amending the constitution, I'd rather tackle how the campaigns are financed.

Restrict gerrymandering would go a long way towards making it a lot harder for incumbents to win easily in a majority of House Districts. I’m also in favor to limiting the number of total years one can serve.
Grassley is the 13th longest serving member of Congress. Of the 12 who have served longer, 11 are Democrats. Longevity in government is dominated by Democrats and it's not even close. Be careful what you wish for...

Political affiliation for something like this is meaningless over the course of American history considering the two major parties have basically switched places on the political spectrum over time.

Since you have a firm policy against providing links and you seldom provide context either, I’m going to assume you’re referring to the ad created by the “Term Limits Action” PAC.

The explanation for your query is simple. This particular ad campaign specifically targets members of the House of Representatives as well as House candidates in the upcoming election who refuse to sign the pledge. Axne is in the House, Grassley is in the Senate. That’s why there is an ad targeting Axne but none targeting Grassley.

And in case anyone is wondering, the ad campaign targets several Republicans, not just Democrats.

But the ad does not! And who the phuque cares about “term limits”…. It’s legal! Another “solution in search of a problem” that Repubbers and Cons live to solve, especially when there are real problems out there to solve!

If 82% really felt strongly about it, they’d vote them out.

If that many felt strongly about it we probably wouldn't need it because they would simply vote out anyone who had been in office too long.

I don't buy it when people say they believe in term limits for congress. Because they say that but they keep electing the same people over and over again.

The funny thing is that it's the worst in safe districts where there is essentially no risk that trying someone new will cost your party the seat, they still out of habit vote for the same person that's been there for 20 years.

But the ad does not! And who the phuque cares about “term limits”…. It’s legal! Another “solution in search of a problem” that Repubbers and Cons live to solve, especially when there are real problems out there to solve!
Which “Repubbers and Cons” are pushing for term limits?

Well, because it's useless? Why don't people with money organize a run at getting 3/4's of state legislatures to vote on something that can become an amendment?

How about this “public interest PAC” for one, TJ?
I’ve explained this, Joel. This is not a Republican PAC. It’s bipartisan. They have made multiple videos targeting multiple representatives and candidates from both parties across the country.

I’ve explained this, Joel. This is not a Republican PAC. It’s bipartisan. They have made multiple videos targeting multiple representatives and candidates from both parties across the country.
Yep. A “bi-partisan” PAC. Gotcha. Why sign something that means nothing…. Other than practicing to become a Republican congressman?
chsnge tge phuquin’ law…. And don’t they hold “term limiting elections” periodically…. Where the VOTERS decides and not a special interest group? Change the Constitution and a petition is part of tge oricess but not the end-all.

Yep. A “bi-partisan” PAC. Gotcha. Why sign something that means nothing…. Other than practicing to become a Republican congressman?
Holy shit, Joel. This is like trying to explain the color blue to a blind man.

Here’s a similar ad by the same PAC targeting Mike France. He’s currently a member of the Connecticut House of Representatives and he’s the Republican nominee for Connecticut’s 2nd congressional district in the 2022 election.

Here’s a similar ad by the same PAC targeting Paul Junge. He’s the Republican nominee for Michigan’s 8th congressional district in the 2022 election.

Here’s a similar ad from the same PAC targeting Matt Larkin. He’s the Republican nominee for Washington’s 8th congressional district in the 2022 election.

Here’s an ad by the same PAC targeting John Gibbs. He’s the Republican nominee for Michigan’s 3rd congressional district in the 2022 election.

;)
gotcha!
(“gotcha”….. get it?)
It is a “bi-partisan PAC (if there is such a thing except by definition) that begs a question whose answer is well understood and whose proposed solution is unattainable. In short, it’s a mosquito bite that requires constant itching to be noticed. In reality all the people have to do is vote the bastards out of office. In this case it depends on whose ox is being gored.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT