ADVERTISEMENT

The “Iowa Way”

A

anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt

So supposedly the excuse is 60 former Black students failed to assimilate or become acclimated to the “Iowa Way” which emphasized discipline (which assumes Black kids are undisciplined). The Iowa way is no different than the culture at a dozen other FBS programs.

We also know that movements like BLM or #MeToo are somewhat contagious. Once a few begin to speak out, more and more speak out. So heres the million dollar question, why haven’t former Black players from any other schools spoken out on the same national level, considering they likely had similar football environments as Iowa that emphasized structure, rules and discipline?

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in Iowa I love the Iowa way. Then we moved to New York and we did not care for the New York way. But I bet the New Yorkers would not care for Iowa too much which is what we have here is young man coming from another part of the country. Then I moved to Texas and I like the Texas way. It's all just a matter of opinion. You don't fire coaches over opinion

Listen to what Kirk said when asked about “The Iowa Way.”

Discipline, accountability, punctuality and becoming the best football player you can be.

Now.

Should the way you wear your hair or the way you dress, or the music you listen to, be considered?

THAT is what’s up.

Kirk and Doyle wanted Wranglers and Johnny Cash. This was a huge wake up call.

You don’t hear as many because the average d1 coach has been there less than 4-5 years. There’s only 5 coaches at d1 schools that have been at their current school since 2005 and 3!of those 5 have had issues in the news. (Utah and Oklahoma state).
Just admit you have no clue.

So supposedly the excuse is 60 former Black students failed to assimilate or become accumulated to the “Iowa Way” which emphasized discipline (which assumes Black kids are undisciplined). The Iowa way is no different than the culture at a dozen other FBS programs.

We also know that movements like BLM or #MeToo are somewhat contagious. Once a few begin to speak out, more and more speak out. So heres the million dollar question, why haven’t former Black players from any other schools spoken out on the same national level, considering they likely had similar football environments as Iowa that emphasized structure, rules and discipline?
So your million dollar question is as dumb as you obviously are.

So supposedly the excuse is 60 former Black students failed to assimilate or become accumulated to the “Iowa Way” which emphasized discipline (which assumes Black kids are undisciplined). The Iowa way is no different than the culture at a dozen other FBS programs.

You just cant help yourself can you.

You’re trying too hard. You’re trying to say it isn’t about the Iowa Way, but about discrimination or the Iowa Way not being applied equally to all.

Impressive how you come off like a bigger idiot on a daily basis.
This weekend should be a treat!

Discipline, accountability, punctuality and becoming the best football player you can be.

Now.

Should the way you wear your hair or the way you dress, or the music you listen to, be considered?

THAT is what’s up.

I don't believe this ever happened ...

First, intolerant zealots like yourself are the biggest risk to meaningful change. You don't even realize how tiresome you are. Everything about your posts and demeanor is divisive and you do nothing to contribute to constructive discussion or change. Personally, I think your entire shtick is nothing more than trolling.

Second, it should be obvious at this point that Doyle, and more specifically, how Doyle implemented the Iowa Way, was the real issue. Its not difficult to see why/how the his approach, comments, and overall attitude towards players undermined the values of the Iowa Way. Lomax commented specifically about how Doyle's constant demeaning approach resulted in black players questioning the intentions of the Iowa Way and program. That is completely fair based on everything that has come to light and is truly regrettable. Without Doyle being a massive douche bag and undermining the values of the program, Iowa wouldn't be an outlier at all. And Doyle is gone as a result.

Third, Kirk never should have allowed this to happen on his watch. And, he should have acted sooner and more aggressively. That said, he has clearly said he accountable for this and is implementing changes, which both current and former players have publicly indicated have the program on the right path. The independent review also indicates current players support both Kirk and the position couches. Based on that, the program is moving forward. If you can't do the same, then f*c# off and go be part of someone else's problem. You sure as hell aren't part of any solution.

I grew up in Iowa I love the Iowa way. Then we moved to New York and we did not care for the New York way. But I bet the New Yorkers would not care for Iowa too much which is what we have here is young man coming from another part of the country. Then I moved to Texas and I like the Texas way. It's all just a matter of opinion. You don't fire coaches over opinion
Why you hating on Texas? Probably just some hick that hates Mexicans!!! :D

Reactions: ottumwan in tx

Now.

THAT is what’s up.

I still don't get the whole country vs rap music thing....do all these small town boys in Iowa dislike rap and love country? I know there some small town folks here, so what's your observations there?

In Des Moines we wouldn't be blasting any country(or at least very little), most likely hop hop or at least some hard rock or metal. Country though?? Not so much :)

I still don't get the whole country vs rap music thing....do all these small town boys in Iowa dislike rap and love country? I know there some small town folks here, so what's your observations there?

In Des Moines we wouldn't be blasting any country(or at least very little), most likely hop hop or at least some hard rock or metal. Country though?? Not so much :)

When I lived in Houston I knew a lot of blacks and Latinos who listened to both hip hop and country. A lot of it depends where you live.

I grew up on classic rock, Seattle grunge, and a lot of 80s shit. I don't deviate much from that.

Reactions: papabeef
When I lived in Houston I knew a lot of blacks and Latinos who listened to both hip hop and country. A lot of it depends where you live.

I grew up on classic rock, Seattle grunge, and a lot of 80s shit. I don't deviate much from that.
You should listen to some pnw hip hop....some good stuff!!

First, intolerant zealots like yourself are the biggest risk to meaningful change. You don't even realize how tiresome you are. Everything about your posts and demeanor is divisive and you do nothing to contribute to constructive discussion or change. Personally, I think your entire shtick is nothing more than trolling.

Second, it should be obvious at this point that Doyle, and more specifically, how Doyle implemented the Iowa Way, was the real issue. Its not difficult to see why/how the his approach, comments, and overall attitude towards players undermined the values of the Iowa Way. Lomax commented specifically about how Doyle's constant demeaning approach resulted in black players questioning the intentions of the Iowa Way and program. That is completely fair based on everything that has come to light and is truly regrettable. Without Doyle being a massive douche bag and undermining the values of the program, Iowa wouldn't be an outlier at all. And Doyle is gone as a result.

Third, Kirk never should have allowed this to happen on his watch. And, he should have acted sooner and more aggressively. That said, he has clearly said he accountable for this and is implementing changes, which both current and former players have publicly indicated have the program on the right path. The independent review also indicates current players support both Kirk and the position couches. Based on that, the program is moving forward. If you can't do the same, then f*c# off and go be part of someone else's problem. You sure as hell aren't part of any solution.

Its misinformed and narrow minded perspectives from guys like this fella that keep this country in the current state that it is. The issues and climate of the Iowa program that promoted racism for 2 decades cannot be solely put on the shoulders of Doyle. This is why its so difficult to engage in meaningful discourse around social change with some of you. You live in a bubble and have no desire to understand how we must progress as a country so that Black Americans have equality and equity.
Its quite sad TBH and disgusting to read posts from this dude and others like him on a daily basis on this board.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Its misinformed and narrow minded perspectives from guys like this fella that keep this country in the current state that it is. The issues and climate of the Iowa program that promoted racism for 2 decades cannot be solely put on the shoulders of Doyle. This is why its so difficult to engage in meaningful discourse around social change with some of you. You live in a bubble and have no desire to understand how we must progress as a country so that Black Americans have equality and equity.
Its quite sad TBH and disgusting to read posts from this dude and others like him on a daily basis on this board.

I don't think his characterization of your posts on this subject is accurate. You've consistently challenged posters who are, at best, tone deaf.

I think his second paragraph is accurate. Doyle is not 100% of the problem but perhaps the most vocal. The players aren't lazy whiners who don't want to work. They brought up valid concerns that need to be addressed.

He's right and even Kirk agrees that more should have been done sooner. It speaks volumes that some of the loudest critics at the beginning are now saying they see the changes and support Kirk and what he's done and doing.

Reactions: anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt
Promoted racism? If that was accurate at all the coaching staff wouldn’t last 20 years, let alone still employed now. But carry on pushing an agenda that isn’t supported.

Promoted racism? If that was accurate at all the coaching staff wouldn’t last 20 years, let alone still employed now. But carry on pushing an agenda that isn’t supported.

How would you define what happened? promoted racism is harsh. Is it more accurate to say they allowed racially insensitive treatment?

Reactions: papabeef
I don't think his characterization of your posts on this subject is accurate. You've consistently challenged posters who are, at best, tone deaf.

I think his second paragraph is accurate. Doyle is not 100% of the problem but perhaps the most vocal. The players aren't lazy whiners who don't want to work. They brought up valid concerns that need to be addressed.

He's right and even Kirk agrees that more should have been done sooner. It speaks volumes that some of the loudest critics at the beginning are now saying they see the changes and support Kirk and what he's done and doing.

a voice of reason

honestly man Ive blocked so many people on here, I think Im missing pockets here and there

a voice of reason

honestly man Ive blocked so many people on here, I think Im missing pockets here and there

I think people get hung up on words and stop listening. Add in that it's hard to judge tone in writing and here we are. But there are also many posters that are completely out of line with what they've said.

Last edited:

I do have a question. If you had it your way, how should Iowa handle the situation at hand? I haven't seen all the threads, so you may have posted it already.

Not at all being snarky. I'm just not sure on your stance of the state of the program on 8/1 and where we go from here.

Reactions: sydhawk
So supposedly the excuse is 60 former Black students failed to assimilate or become acclimated to the “Iowa Way” which emphasized discipline (which assumes Black kids are undisciplined). The Iowa way is no different than the culture at a dozen other FBS programs.

you continue to cry “racism” but still have not provided concrete evidence. I find your comments to be uneducated and juvenile. Challenging an individual’s character and applying a term like “racist” is a serious issue. I believe the coaches need to more aware of the potential depression among players, but what makes you any different? You are attacking the character of these coaches with your words. The coaches language may have been strong, but I feel they were attempting to shape professional young men. Your words are built on weak evidence and geared towards hate

you continue to cry “racism” but still have not provided concrete evidence. I find your comments to be uneducated and juvenile. Challenging an individual’s character and applying a term like “racist” is a serious issue. I believe the coaches need to more aware of the potential depression among players, but what makes you any different? You are attacking the character of these coaches with your words. The coaches language may have been strong, but I feel they were attempting to shape professional young men. Your words are built on weak evidence and geared towards hate

I think his words were directed to the posters who have denied there were any problems other than some whiny lazy players that hate work and complain about petty things. Frankly, if that is truly what someone believes, their character should be judged.

Can you be any more self righteous? The problem is you have appointed yourself the hall monitor on speech and thought. Its a common trait of those of your ilk. Dude get over yourself

I think his words were directed to the posters who have denied there were any problems other than some whiny lazy players that hate work and complain about petty things. Frankly, if that is truly what someone believes, their character should be judged.
My response was influenced by previous accusations from that Justhawk9. It’s irresponsible to be premature in judgement and based on weak (to no) evidence. Characterizing another as racist better be based on substantial evidence.

I think people get hung up on words and stop listening. Add in that it's hard to judge tone in writing and here we are. But there are also many posters that are completely out of line with what they've said.

So true. Many of these dudes don’t actually listen.

My response was influenced by previous accusations from that Justhawk9. It’s irresponsible to be premature in judgement and based on weak (to no) evidence. Characterizing another as racist better be based on substantial evidence.

How many posts before I can decide someone is racist? When does it become substantial in your mind? Because there are a couple posters that have posted some eye popping statements that would support that conclusion.

Honestly Birch I think you are kind of looking for racially insensitive stuff when it's not really there and I think most of the posters on here knew it wasn't there and knew there were outside forces trying to find it there when it wasn't there and I think Kirk Ferentz knew it wasn't there.

If you were talking only about the players lined up with Robert T Green, you'd be correct. He saw a quick payday and got a few players to believe him.

The players, coaches, athletic department review and independent review all identify racially insensitive issues. Posters that claim otherwise are just wrong.

Or they are not actually racists. Like our staff, for example.

I don't think any of our coaches, including Doyle, hate black people or intended to create disparities between races. I think of racist as having a hateful basis and being intentional.

I think our coaches didn't understand or didn't recognize that their actions or inactions allowed an environment with racial disparities to grow.

To me, that's a very important distinction. It's why I think KF and the remaining coaches should stay. They understand how and have committed to changing the environment. By all reports, they are doing a great job since June.

I don't think any of our coaches, including Doyle, hate black people or intended to create disparities between races. I think of racist as having a hateful basis and being intentional.

I think our coaches didn't understand or didn't recognize that their actions or inactions allowed an environment with racial disparities to grow.

To me, that's a very important distinction. It's why I think KF and the remaining coaches should stay. They understand how and have committed to changing the environment. By all reports, they are doing a great job since June.

I wonder if more racial disparities are going to be created now that black players are going to handled with kid gloves? Only time will tell.

I can agree with this. There are some posters taking it to extreme by claiming racism was allowed to run rampant for 20 years, just like there are other posters going to the other extreme by saying the coaches did nothing wrong. I do consider calling someone a racist a very serious charge, but I also believe we cannot ignore the concerns of so many players. I also do not like belittling players who have put their time, sweat and tears into the his program because they have some complaints.

Fortunately, it appears Kirk is taking action and moving the forward program in a positive direction. The current players and former players like Jaleel Johnson and James Daniels are on board. The rest of our fan base needs to get on board and stop with the sanctimonious bitching.

Pretty much no one on here has said there were NO problems. I think many, including myself belief there was no intended racism from the program, and are tired of everyone, media or supposed fans who seem bent on having it perceived like there was. And absolutely there are in fact some of the ex players who were whining about ridiculous insignificant issues just to get there voice in the middle of this mess. Oh my steak wasn't done enough or I couldn't wear my hat backwards or wear my wife beater or my shorts around my knees, so they were picking on my "CULTURE". Seriously, so the program has some dress code standards in the football complex, and thats a "RACIAL" problem. Basically your saying that ANYTHING these players perceived to be racial, was in fact racial, simply because they didn't like the outcome. It never ends.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT