ADVERTISEMENT

The “Iowa Way”

Definitely not racism. The Iowa Way is the same for everyone. Do some adhere to or adjust to it more/easier than others, absolutely. Does that make it racist, no. Were some comments insensitive, yes. Racist? No. If it was truly racist then the whole staff and AD would be gone as the players would be calling for it, but they aren’t. They do need to allow student-athletes to be themselves more to a certain extent, but that’s a slippery slope.

From 40 to 60 players spoke. Some refuse to listen and some think they were lying. The one thing I've noticed about racists is they don't think they are racist.

From 40 to 60 players spoke. Some refuse to listen and some think they were lying. The one thing I've noticed about racists is they don't think they are racist.

so many racists here have black “friends”.

sorry bro the black guy at the bar who puts up with your racist s*** is not your friend. He just wants a free shot

Team dynamics is an interesting thing. If they back off on the implementation of the rules for certain factions you will see it pretty quick.
Teammates KNOW who is doing the right thing. Who are doing the work.
Any deviation will drag a team down like cancer. The discord will be palpable.
I remember a couple of years when Iowa expected great things from their team. But for some reason they just didnt seem to click. Lost when they shouldnt or close game that shouldnt have been. All season I kept saying--something is the matter. It turned out we had some players
using and selling drugs. When the news came out I wasnt surprised.

An abbreviated season might be the best thing to make these tweaks in our system.
Ah yes 2010, that was a real surprise, and not in a good way....Thanks DJK...

sorry bro the black guy at the bar who puts up with your racist s*** is not your friend. He just wants a free shot
So a white person , (whom you don't know at all) says he has black friends, and you feel free to comment because you have an close knowledge of who his friends are by your internet contact with him. Right. So WHO is the racist here?

Maybe not but its already cost one man his career, and another possible Hall of Fame coach some tarnish on his legacy, at least nationally. Pretty serious consequences when little proof was needed to make this outcome happen.....

Maybe there was little proof to you but to the people making the decisions, it was plenty. I think Doyle's response to these statements is what cost him his career.

I'll ask you again. If you had it your way, what would Iowa do to handle the current situation now on 8/2?

I ask because it seems you are hyper focused on how we got to this point, but don't seem to care what measures have been taken since. Can the course be corrected, or are you of the opinion a leopard can't change its spots?

Give me a little insight on what this might mean. A hypothetical situation..

I think what we've seen is a relaxing of some of the rules about clothing, earrings, social media, music which were very rigid before. It sounds like there will be less public humiliation and more private conversations about violations.

So the sleep monitors are important because they track how much effort a player expends during a game and is used to determine what that particular player's recovery should look like. It tracks sleep, hydration, any number of really critical information that can be used to tailor training to what that player needs. From the players' perspective, it seems like there isn't much understanding of why they have to do this and it seems the information was used to punish rather than educate. KF said he plans to use the information differently as an education tool rather than a punishment and to limit what is done with the data.

Did that answer your question? If not, I can try to think of another example.

In Des Moines public schools they are apparently told to pretty much let black boys do what they want because too many get in trouble(you know, because all those racist teachers lol)
So now black boys(just the boys not even girls) are not suppose to be taught that actions have consequences or how to behave properly.... Just so the "numbers" can look good.
I'm sure that's really gonna help!! Lmfao.
Thatll help keep them out of jail in 5 or 10 years!! Oh wait.....

Truly disgusting if this is true. This is one of my fears as BLM continues to push It’s agenda relentlessly. They say it’s about police brutality and racism but their actions as an organization if left unchecked can have far reaching ramifications, not all for the good.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkInArk
I think what we've seen is a relaxing of some of the rules about clothing, earrings, social media, music which were very rigid before. It sounds like there will be less public humiliation and more private conversations about violations.

So the sleep monitors are important because they track how much effort a player expends during a game and is used to determine what that particular player's recovery should look like. It tracks sleep, hydration, any number of really critical information that can be used to tailor training to what that player needs. From the players' perspective, it seems like there isn't much understanding of why they have to do this and it seems the information was used to punish rather than educate. KF said he plans to use the information differently as an education tool rather than a punishment and to limit what is done with the data.

Did that answer your question? If not, I can try to think of another example.

Do you as I think only some/all of the players assumed the monitors were used as a punishment since maybe it was not truly explained to the players what they were for?

Do you as I think only some/all of the players assumed the monitors were used as a punishment since maybe it was not truly explained to the players what they were for?

Yes. I've heard Doyle explain them several times and it's crazy what kind of information they can get from the monitors. They have GPS trackers in them so they can map out each player's movements during the game to see how far they ran or if they were in the correct position. Reading the players' thoughts on them in the report made me wonder if I didn't know more about the how and why than the players did themselves. It came across like the only information shared with the players were the bad things.

I think people get hung up on words and stop listening. Add in that it's hard to judge tone in writing and here we are. But there are also many posters that are completely out of line with what they've said.
"Hung up on words". Words are how we communicate. If you have something to say, then take the time to choose your words carefully if you don't want to be misunderstood.
Then there is the possibility that the poster did choose their words carefully, and meant to say precisely what was said. Either way. Words have meaning, and learning their meaning will go a long way towards avoiding misunderstandings.

Reactions: Bee93
"Hung up on words". Words are how we communicate. If you have something to say, then take the time to choose your words carefully if you don't want to be misunderstood.
Then there is the possibility that the poster did choose their words carefully, and meant to say precisely what was said. Either way. Words have meaning, and learning their meaning will go a long way towards avoiding misunderstandings.

I have no doubt that many posters intentionally chose their words. It was just a nice way to try to give them the benefit of the doubt when they didn't deserve it.

Maybe there was little proof to you but to the people making the decisions, it was plenty. I think Doyle's response to these statements is what cost him his career.
Context and timing. You can’t be anything but woke today. If you think they had any other choice you’re crazy.

Truly disgusting if this is true. This is one of my fears as BLM continues to push It’s agenda relentlessly. They say it’s about police brutality and racism but their actions as an organization if left unchecked can have far reaching ramifications, not all for the good.
BLM's agenda is wrong and out of control. I'd absolutely be willing to bet the post you responded to has a lot of validity to it.

Everything is being viewed as racism or racial bias, so administrators/teachers etc are going to "turn a blind eye" so they don't get blamed for something.

Reactions: hawkosx
BLM's agenda is wrong and out of control. I'd absolutely be willing to bet the post you responded to has a lot of validity to it.

Everything is being viewed as racism or racial bias, so administrators/teachers etc are going to "turn a blind eye" so they don't get blamed for something.

They are trying to correct a statistic so their district isn't perceived as racist. You currently seeing it in police department reviews. An interesting perspective that I was told once by a LEO. If 95% of my stop sign slow and goes pull overs are black I am probably a racist. If I have 40 armed robberies on tape and 70% of them are by blacks that isn't racist, it's a fact. Statistics can be made to say almost anything you want.

Glad KF doesn't agree with you.
Maybe check out Bill Mahers interview Friday night with Barry Weiss about cancel culture and contest to be the most woke. To punish people for the sins of others/previous generations.
You can’t be anything but today, without everyone calling for your head. The rush was to label everyone at Iowa racist even the people of the state. The broad brush and the racist label is not something to be used lightly yet it was in a race to be the most woke.
I don’t believe for a second that Kirk doesn’t believe he cant do things better but you are crazy if you think it’s to the extent you believe. He will do a good job, he will institute rules he probably doesn’t agree with on a philosophical level because of fear of the mob.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkInArk
BLM's agenda is wrong and out of control.

BLM is using history as a guide. Without protest and marching....women would not have the vote, we'd have lost thousands more US soldiers in Vietnam, there would still be black and white water fountains (and lynchings) in the South, gays would still be outcasts, etc, etc.

Power does not give up power without being forced to by public action. BLM knows that. You may not like it because you do not need to protest for your equality.

Reactions: Bee93 and hawkbirch
BLM is using history as a guide. Without protest and marching....women would not have the vote, we'd have lost thousands more US soldiers in Vietnam, there would still be black and white water fountains (and lynchings) in the South, gays would still be outcasts, etc, etc.

Power does not give up power without being forced to by public action. BLM knows that. You may not like it because you do not need to protest for your equality.
The people of this country voted an African American man into the White House for 2 terms!

Women have NEVER been more empowered than they are now. Black people hold high-powered positions within many many companies in all areas of the work force. Yet these groups continue to complain complain complain..

They are failing to LOOK WITHIN themselves! Look within their communities and figure out what EVERYBODY can do as a collective unit to find solutions to the staggering number of black-on-black crime and murdering.

Black Lives Matter is out there placing blame and destroying sh*t instead of trying to find solutions. F**k the BLM organization.

Reactions: Bizon73 and hawkosx
The people of this country voted an African American man into the White House for 2 terms!

Women have NEVER been more empowered than they are now. Black people hold high-powered positions within many many companies in all areas of the work force. Yet these groups continue to complain complain complain..

They are failing to LOOK WITHIN themselves! Look within their communities and figure out what EVERYBODY can do as a collective unit to find solutions to the staggering number of black-on-black crime and murdering.

Black Lives Matter is out there placing blame and destroying sh*t instead of trying to find solutions. F**k the BLM organization.

Good, you're pissed. That means I'm on the right path.

And thank you for mentioning women power and black success. Shows you what some protest will get you.

Reactions: hawkbirch

Agree.

As the black former police chief of Milwaukee stated---If all the white people disappeared off the face of the earth the black community would still have the same problems it does now.

Its always easier to sit back and point the finger at others than to look
at ones self and admit your own short comings. Playing the eternal victim does nothing by garner favor from the do-gooders but does nothing for true advancement.

Reactions: hawkosx
Agree.

As the black former police chief of Milwaukee stated---If all the white people disappeared off the face of the earth the black community would still have the same problems it does now.

Its always easier to sit back and point the finger at others than to look
at ones self and admit your own short comings. Playing the eternal victim does nothing by garner favor from the do-gooders but does nothing for true advancement.

Good grief

Just when I thought Ive heard it all

Maybe check out Bill Mahers interview Friday night with Barry Weiss about cancel culture and contest to be the most woke. To punish people for the sins of others/previous generations.
You can’t be anything but today, without everyone calling for your head. The rush was to label everyone at Iowa racist even the people of the state. The broad brush and the racist label is not something to be used lightly yet it was in a race to be the most woke.
I don’t believe for a second that Kirk doesn’t believe he cant do things better but you are crazy if you think it’s to the extent you believe. He will do a good job, he will institute rules he probably doesn’t agree with on a philosophical level because of fear of the mob.

It was a good discussion of cancel culture and the dangers of it.

I agree that calling some racist should be done rarely because most people are not acting out of hate. I think you're right that especially Doyle was labeled a racist early on and I don't think that's accurate or what was intended.

I don't think Kirk Ferentz lies either in general or specifically about something this important. If he didn't truly believe in the need for change, I don't think he would still be our head coach. I think his words and demeanor show his true understanding and intentions.

The problem with this whole thing is the way that James Daniels turned it into a public spectacle by essentially calling the Iowa program racist through Twitter. The blow up was immediate. The calling for heads was instantaneous. The outrage was massive, and the story was national.
There is a faction that says that James needed to bring it to light this way and thanks him because there had been attempts made to bring the feeling of inequality to light with no results. Many of that same faction says that Kirk Ferentz is the right man to lead the program forward because he didn't really understand the problem. Now that he understands, he will make changes that will make the program better.
My opinion is that James should have tried harder to make KF understand before resorting to Twitter. I don't think you can have it both ways by saying KF just wouldn't listen so I had to resort to Twitter, while also saying I have faith that KF will take these players' feelings to heart and make it better now that he understands.
I, personally, have faith in coach Ferentz. I always have. I think he was pretty surprised by this and would have called our culture healthy and thriving immediately before all of this happened. I believe that the players that had grievances could have gotten him to listen and be open without resorting to Twitter. If you think he should still be the coach here, I hope you believe that too.
By choosing to "Tweet", it hurt our Hawkeye football program nationally. I have a problem with things that hurt the program if they can be avoided. I, personally, think that James could have and should have done better in the way he chose handle it. I don't think a national story of Iowa football racism was warranted or justified. If the coaches had turned out to be racists, I would understand. That isn't the case, though.
I don't believe the players are all just whiners either. There are enough players that spoke out to realize that the Hawkeye family needed to talk to one another to try to be sure that everyone felt like they were getting a fair shake. I, as most fans, would like the players to be happy that they are Hawkeyes and forever proud of their experience. If that isn't happening, let's try to fix it. We can all be on board with that. That is the good thing that could come from this. The fallout and collateral damage wasn't necessary, though. A multi month national racism story on our program doesn't help us. Many people across the country think the Hawks are racists now because they caught a headline.
On a lighter note..... I will say that the Hawkeye music playlist is pretty bad, though. If I was a black guy, I would wonder what in the hell they were thinking. As a white guy, I wonder what the hell they are thinking. I highly doubt that any of the players are particularly excited about it. Seriously, who the hell is in charge of the music? Definitely an area for improvement.

Reactions: hawkosx and rchawk
Good grief

Just when I thought Ive heard it all

You're a hack and don't really care about Iowa football. I've asked you twice now how to right the ship and you skip right on by because you're more interested in calling people racists than offering solutions.

Just like the radio host said to Robert T Green, now that the investigation is completed and he doesn't get to control the narrative, I'll bet both of you will be gone in a month or so now that all associated parties are encouraged by the changes made by Ferentz.

Good, you're pissed. That means I'm on the right path.

And thank you for mentioning women power and black success. Shows you what some protest will get you.
Yeah, it's definitely YOU that's on the right path and leading ME in the right direction.

I'm sure you are looking to be thanked for something, so, thank you...

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
The problem with this whole thing is the way that James Daniels turned it into a public spectacle by essentially calling the Iowa program racist through Twitter. The blow up was immediate. The calling for heads was instantaneous. The outrage was massive, and the story was national.
There is a faction that says that James needed to bring it to light this way and thanks him because there had been attempts made to bring the feeling of inequality to light with no results. Many of that same faction says that Kirk Ferentz is the right man to lead the program forward because he didn't really understand the problem. Now that he understands, he will make changes that will make the program better.
My opinion is that James should have tried harder to make KF understand before resorting to Twitter. I don't think you can have it both ways by saying KF just wouldn't listen so I had to resort to Twitter, while also saying I have faith that KF will take these players' feelings to heart and make it better now that he understands.
I, personally, have faith in coach Ferentz. I always have. I think he was pretty surprised by this and would have called our culture healthy and thriving immediately before all of this happened. I believe that the players that had grievances could have gotten him to listen and be open without resorting to Twitter. If you think he should still be the coach here, I hope you believe that too.
By choosing to "Tweet", it hurt our Hawkeye football program nationally. I have a problem with things that hurt the program if they can be avoided. I, personally, think that James could have and should have done better in the way he chose handle it. I don't think a national story of Iowa football racism was warranted or justified. If the coaches had turned out to be racists, I would understand. That isn't the case, though.
I don't believe the players are all just whiners either. There are enough players that spoke out to realize that the Hawkeye family needed to talk to one another to try to be sure that everyone felt like they were getting a fair shake. I, as most fans, would like the players to be happy that they are Hawkeyes and forever proud of their experience. If that isn't happening, let's try to fix it. We can all be on board with that. That is the good thing that could come from this. The fallout and collateral damage wasn't necessary, though. A multi month national racism story on our program doesn't help us. Many people across the country think the Hawks are racists now because they caught a headline.
On a lighter note..... I will say that the Hawkeye music playlist is pretty bad, though. If I was a black guy, I would wonder what in the hell they were thinking. As a white guy, I wonder what the hell they are thinking. I highly doubt that any of the players are particularly excited about it. Seriously, who the hell is in charge of the music? Definitely an area for improvement.

I wonder how Daniels would have reacted if Iowa decided to just clean house or if KF would have resigned.

Sounds like you have a very dim view of mankind. societies evolve and values change and it is not always due to protests and walkouts. What I see now is a group of leftists who want to stifle any alternative solution to their own. Free speech be damned, right? Every interaction that one finds uncomfortable between members of different races is not necessarily racism. If the same incident can take place between members of the same race that it isn't racim.

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
Sounds like you have a very dim view of mankind. societies evolve and values change and it is not always due to protests and walkouts. What I see now is a group of leftists who want to stifle any alternative solution to their own. Free speech be damned, right? Every interaction that one finds uncomfortable between members of different races is not necessarily racism. If the same incident can take place between members of the same race that it isn't racim.

And others see a group of people tired of the disparities and unwilling to wait for change any longer. You are correct that not everything is racism but being stopped for driving while black is. Racial profiling is.

And others see a group of people tired of the disparities and unwilling to wait for change any longer. You are correct that not everything is racism but being stopped for driving while black is. Racial profiling is.
because its an election year

ADVERTISEMENT