ADVERTISEMENT

The 2018 report identified the problems that came out this year

Usually an indicator of program culture problems is losing football and off-the-field problems all indicators of discipline issues.

Yet, the last 5 years produced the most wins in a 5 year period possibly in school history, 3 bowl wins over power 5 opponents one of which was an SEC school and a host of draft picks and even early entry NFL draft picks. There were very few off the field problems and nothing major. If KF choose to overlook some feedback from a few players you could sure as heck understand why.

KFs program has helped a select group of white and black players earn a ton of money via the NFL. Those guys may have hated the regimen of standards but they are lavishing in paychecks that some of their disgruntled former teammates don’t get.

On top of all of this there is a lot of jealousy especially by the media and rival fan bases. When you can’t beat someone on the field you play cards dealt from the bottom of the deck. When you are media and you are not trusted (and rightfully so) you look for any opportunity to grind an axe. They feel empowered to tear a successful person and program down by any means.

My advice is don’t overreact to the haters as they don’t have your best interests in mind. Stand firm, make reasonable improvements and move forward. When you have success, make sure to shove it up their backside.
And one to your comments And1.....:)

Reactions: And1Hawk
Isn't the explanation really simple here? Iowa football hired Broderick Binns, but also Kelton Copeland, Kelvin Bell, and Derrick Foster. Copeland, Bell and Foster are all young, African-American coaches. Iowa responded to the issue by hiring more minority coaches. You can argue that more should have been done, but you can't say that nothing was done.
All good points. Yet, through all of that, guys like Doyle and BF were never put in check? They never brought a 3rd party in to review their policies and how they're enacted? And Binns -- i'll say it again, if you have race issues you correct them immediately. They brought on Binns into that role in the fall, as someone else mentioned. And they have yet to mention a single change he/they enacted since then. Then, they move him from interim into the full time role in July of 2020?

I think you're right actually...you can't say NOTHING was done. But, even they admit, they missed the mark and didn't do enough. Was it really b/c Kirk didn't know about it? And if that's the case, then isn't that in itself pathetic? You telling me a smart man, making that kind of money, overseeing the flagship program at the states flagship institution had a bunch of shit happening under his nose but didn't realize it? Not sure about you, but I'm not buying that.

Reactions: ellobo
The drug testing is the only thing that I see as being potentially biased. I say potentially because as the washed up Walkons explained , starters and regular players are tested more frequently. I would guess the black players make up a larger % of regular players and starters than do the white players based on team make up. Hence it seemed as though they were tested more often.
Also, per Iowa's legal team, the agency that performs the testing does not collect demographic data. Unless someone was hand picking the starters/regulars who were tested, it wasn't biased. This was in Howe's article or a similar one yesterday.

"Before last season, Iowa did allow players to wear items such as hats, earrings and hoodies into the team facility. However, Ferentz noted that even that was not enough to create a more inclusive culture at Iowa.

“We allowed (student-athletes) to wear hats, earrings, [and hoodies] but what I learned here is there’s a lot more to it,” Ferentz said. “We’ve got to dig deeper, listen better, and act on things that count.”"

Someone is not being entirely forthright with what they knew and when they knew it. Why would Ferentz the make the mentioned changes and then stand up at the podium and say " this is all news to me? The most troubling part for me is the accusation of a lack of academic support to for black football players.

It is an outside company that does the random testing and they don't have information on player's race. I think is just a perceived bias because like you said of the two deeps. And if other stuff is going on you probably see bias in places you might not if you didn't experience it in other places in the program.

I have to send my employees to get random drug tested. I have a 60+ Y/O white guy, that has gotten tested 8x in the last 14 months. It's all racial...Gotta be. No one gets picked that many times without it being racial right? (Insert MASSIVE eye roll)

So, Ferentz knew there were issues and started an interim position almost a year ago? Ok, so I would expect there would have been significant changes enacted then. I mean, if you find a culture of racial bias within a public institutions flagship program, you don't sit on it for a year, right. You act.

So, between the time Binns was hired and Iowa being called out on social media, what kind fo changes were enacted to change the culture at Iowa?

Again, if you built that environment in the corporate world and it was found you'd be fired on the spot and the company would be facing a mountain of lawsuits. Why in the world would we hold a guy working for a state any less accountable? B/c the athletes aren't employees, they have fewer and less accessible avenues to pursue, sadly.

Here ya go: https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...hawkeyes-football-allegations-tweets-20200611

"At least 55 former Iowa football players and one current player — most of whom are African American — have made allegations on social media about a culture of racism and bullying in the program."

That's a good question. Just googled it. In 2018, 56% of African Americans graduated from Iowa. 42% AA athletes graduated. Across the country, 55% of AA athletes graduate. And I note again, Iowa's AA athlete graduation rate is last in the big ten.

Add in the attrition and a report they commissioned that showed there was racial bias and you'd think there were clear indications that immediate change was needed.
That article is just parroting the same line given everywhere else. Just because someone tweets they support what someone else said doesn’t mean they get thrown on the tally board too.
It should be easy for rob howe or another reporter to make a name for themselves to create a spreadsheet with names and grievances.
Take out dress code and being on time issues, you’d have a short list. And I’d be willing to bet a lot of the other issues were with guys that were often late and didn’t follow other team rules.

That article is just parroting the same line given everywhere else. Just because someone tweets they support what someone else said doesn’t mean they get thrown on the tally board too.
It should be easy for rob howe or another reporter to make a name for themselves to create a spreadsheet with names and grievances.
Take out dress code and being on time issues, you’d have a short list. And I’d be willing to bet a lot of the other issues were with guys that were often late and didn’t follow other team rules.
Go read the report that dropped. Go look at the breakdown of players that spoke out (32/56 were all big ten, all american and/or NFL draft picks).

This isn't a bunch of shitty kids with axes to grind. It's a legitimate issue that the school knew about and failed to fully address for years. If you haven't at least come to that conclusion, then you're burying your head.

Reactions: ellobo
Rob Howe asked KF in his last press conference about this report. He gave Rob Howe an answer and took full responsibility. Now Rob prints something on Monday to get sensational clicks. If you think Rob Howe just got that report you have your head under a rock. He has had it for weeks. As I said before Rob mentioned it in the press conference phrased as a question. This is not knew, it is Rob Howe trying to be an insider when he is an ass hat. He made it seem like he stumbled on to something. Kf asked him how many pages he got. He said 5 and KF replied with the one I have is a little more than that. The national media picks up on it because Rob wants to be an ESPN insider expert. I will not go to Hawkeye Nation again.
I haven’t been over there since I joined here.

Some of them are. A non-insignificant amount of them are embellishing their stories or not providing the full context. It's called being a grifter or a pussy and there's plenty of them out there of all races.

James Daniels and the initial few who spoke out had great points to make and made them. You know what they explicitly stated they DIDN'T want to happen?

For Iowa to go scorched earth. They wanted CHANGE, not heads. Problem is, idiots like yourself take everything they hear at face value and put on their white savior/white guilt hats to prove how not racist you are.

There's a difference between being an ally and listening, and being fvcking gullible and getting taken advantage of.

I cannot like this comment enough. Couldn't have said it better myself.

"Before last season, Iowa did allow players to wear items such as hats, earrings and hoodies into the team facility. However, Ferentz noted that even that was not enough to create a more inclusive culture at Iowa.

“We allowed (student-athletes) to wear hats, earrings, [and hoodies] but what I learned here is there’s a lot more to it,” Ferentz said. “We’ve got to dig deeper, listen better, and act on things that count.”"

Someone is not being entirely forthright with what they knew and when they knew it. Why would Ferentz the make the mentioned changes and then stand up at the podium and say " this is all news to me? The most troubling part for me is the accusation of a lack of academic support to for black football players.

I think that's by not understanding that the window dressing of hats, earrings and hoodies did nothing to fix the real issue of disparity. I think KF understands that now in a way that the changes he makes will correct the issues behind the disparity.

I really think this is the bottom line of this whole thing. White people truly not knowing or understanding how their words, actions, thoughts affect the black people around them. Sadly it takes something extreme to make you open your eyes to see what is right in front of your face. Once you see it, it seems silly to have missed it all along and becomes easier to address. It's not coming from a place of hatred or intent. KF has had his moment and is fixing the issue. I think it speaks volumes about his character to face this challenge head on and admit his mistakes.

All good points. Yet, through all of that, guys like Doyle and BF were never put in check? They never brought a 3rd party in to review their policies and how they're enacted? And Binns -- i'll say it again, if you have race issues you correct them immediately. They brought on Binns into that role in the fall, as someone else mentioned. And they have yet to mention a single change he/they enacted since then. Then, they move him from interim into the full time role in July of 2020?

I think you're right actually...you can't say NOTHING was done. But, even they admit, they missed the mark and didn't do enough. Was it really b/c Kirk didn't know about it? And if that's the case, then isn't that in itself pathetic? You telling me a smart man, making that kind of money, overseeing the flagship program at the states flagship institution had a bunch of shit happening under his nose but didn't realize it? Not sure about you, but I'm not buying that.

How many of the complaints are after 2018? Wadley was done in May 2018 at the latest (maybe earlier, depending on when he left school to prepare for the draft). Same for James Daniels.

I think that Ferentz had one main blind spot, related to Doyle. I think that he believed Doyle was hard on players, but was not racist. And he may have been correct. I think that there is a difference between being racist, in terms of viewing one race as actually superior to another race, and being racially insensitive (failing to understand how one's words and actions are interpreted by people of a different race).

I think that with Binns and the other hires, he thought that they were doing what needed to be done to address retention and graduation rates. And they may have been. There has been surprisingly little attrition in the classes that have come in after Binns, Bell, Copeland and Foster.

I do not think that the response of Ferentz was pathetic. I think that he genuinely cares about his players. I do think that the athletic department is bad at PR, and could have managed the 2018 report a lot better. If you know that a FOIA request has been made and that you are going to be giving out that document, try to get ahead of it. Point out the diversity of the hires that have been made recently. If you have good recent data on graduations (and maybe you don't because of early entrants to the NFL), note the graduation rate of the last year or two. But do something.

I think that's by not understanding that the window dressing of hats, earrings and hoodies did nothing to fix the real issue of disparity. I think KF understands that now in a way that the changes he makes will correct the issues behind the disparity.

I really think this is the bottom line of this whole thing. White people truly not knowing or understanding how their words, actions, thoughts affect the black people around them. Sadly it takes something extreme to make you open your eyes to see what is right in front of your face. Once you see it, it seems silly to have missed it all along and becomes easier to address. It's not coming from a place of hatred or intent. KF has had his moment and is fixing the issue. I think it speaks volumes about his character to face this challenge head on and admit his mistakes.
Go away hawkbirch. You’d be better off commenting on a liberal feed on Twitter. You are a total snowflake. Get lost

Reactions: EddieHaskell
Go away hawkbirch. You’d be better off commenting on a liberal feed on Twitter. You are a total snowflake. Get lost

You are the one whining about who should be on here and I'm the snowflake? Do you even know what that word means?

It's hard to admit you are part of the problem. It's okay. I get it. If you have enough character and honesty, you'll get there someday. Or don't. IDGAF. But I'm not going anywhere at least in part because I know my being here annoys you enough to tell me to leave.

Reactions: littlez
Has anyone confirmed the story on dreadlocks? There were multiple Hawkeye players over the last 20 years who had dreadlocks and stayed on the team. Were certain players not allowed to have dreadlocks, while others were? If so, what was the deciding factor as it does not appear to be racially motivated. I am not saying there were no racial issues in the program. I am just trying to determine fact from fiction.
I don't think there has ever been a dreadlocks ban. There may have been inappropriate comments regarding dreadlocks by some of the coaching staff.

I continue to be amazed that people are shocked that a wealthy older white man lacks perspective on the experience of young black men.

Reactions: hawkbirch

How about you start following the story or stop commenting?

From Day 1, Ferentz and Barta have acknowledged that they were already aware of and taking action on the issue prior to anyone going public on Twitter. But they were not aware of many of the stories on Twitter....James Daniels and Company have even admitted that these stories were not told to Ferentz.

Do you you need anything else explained to you? Try paying attention moving forward.

You're so incredibly woke.

By the way, the "window dressing" issues you dismiss are the EXACT issues referenced by James Daniels and Jordan Lomax on the WUW podcast. Maybe you should try listening to black voices rather than playing White Savior.

I don't think there has ever been a dreadlocks ban. There may have been inappropriate comments regarding dreadlocks by some of the coaching staff.

I continue to be amazed that people are shocked that a wealthy older white man lacks perspective on the experience of young black men.
If you watch a lot of football you’d notice that the vast majority of healers coming off are from players wearing dreadlocks.
Maybe just maybe the dislike of dread was because a coach doesn’t want his best players sitting on the bench or getting hurt. Not as sinister as some might make it out to be.

By the way, the "window dressing" issues you dismiss are the EXACT issues referenced by James Daniels and Jordan Lomax on the WUW podcast. Maybe you should try listening to black voices rather than playing White Savior.

and you are so ignorant. Those are not the only issues they discussed. I'll type slowly so you can understand.

Here is the quote that I was responding to about window dressings...

The issues that Daniels and Lomax raised are the deeper issues and the ones that count. That's what they talked about on WUW.

It is no shock to anyone that you missed that completely. Keep doing you though.

This board makes me sad these days. I guess it took a controversy to pull out what was always here though because it's not just new accounts. I'm not trying to be condescending, but so many statements made here just fall in line with how you end up in a situation like this. Just because it doesn't affect you or you don't see it in your daily life doesn't mean that these issues don't exist. Just because there are some people with other issues (i.e. Wadley) speaking up doesn't mean that there aren't still real issues. Just because some of the examples sound a little silly doesn't mean it didn't bother people and push them away. Just a little empathy goes so far. If you get mad every time you hear racist or white privilege then think about what you think those words mean and read on these topics and try to understand better.

WELL SAID

+1000000x

Top Post of the Day

It is quite perplexing the insane comments on this board. I would say Im surprised but in many ways Im not as these comments are based on years and years of cultural incompetence and ignorance. I am surprised at how freely these guys spew such nonsense. These guys have not engaged with their own white privilege or care to better understand the social reality for many Black Americans. The fact they think 55 Black kids are lying, whiny and unappreciative while enduring years of a hostile and toxic environment is just disgusting. Old accounts New accounts these all all the same people we went to Iowa with. They’re just older.

WELL SAID

+1000000x

Top Post of the Day

It is quite perplexing the insane comments on this board. I would say Im surprised but in many ways Im not as these comments are based on years and years of cultural incompetence and ignorance. I am surprised at how freely these guys spew such nonsense. These guys have not engaged with their own white privilege or care to better understand the social reality for many Black Americans. The fact they think 55 Black kids are lying, whiny and unappreciative while enduring years of a hostile and toxic environment is just disgusting. Old accounts New accounts these all all the same people we went to Iowa with. They’re just older.

Not sure who "These guys" are?

I think you embellish too much, I agree that there are some things that needed to change but if it was ever as bad as you portray we would have been the only white team in America. This coming from someone that has more Black/Hispanic/Indian friends than white. This also coming from someone who volunteers to work with inner-city youth once a week....until covid hit.

Reactions: And1Hawk
and you are so ignorant. Those are not the only issues they discussed. I'll type slowly so you can understand.

Here is the quote that I was responding to about window dressings...

The issues that Daniels and Lomax raised are the deeper issues and the ones that count. That's what they talked about on WUW.

It is no shock to anyone that you missed that completely. Keep doing you though.

Care to make a wager about Daniels and Lomax discussing music, earrings, etc. on WUW?

Since it appears you learned a new phrase and seem very eager to show it off, what do you mean by White Savior?

I think you embellish too much, I agree that there are some things that needed to change but if it was ever as bad as you portray we would have been the only white team in America. This coming from someone that has more Black/Hispanic/Indian friends than white. This also coming from someone who volunteers to work with inner-city youth once a week....until covid hit.

So we’re resorting to the “I have a Black friend” line
Nice bro
Predictable

I agree. There have definitely been some issues in the program. I do not believe Kirk is racist or Doyle for that matter. I think Doyle was guilty of being a jerk to players as he thought it was the best motivator. It is disappointing that he felt this way and he should have known that he needed to make adjustments based on the player. Some players respond to a hammer, while others need a different motivator.

I do believe that some of the policies were more difficult for the black players to conform to than the white players. I can also see where the black players felt that they were not able to be themselves. I believe Kirk truly felt the rules he had in place were best for the entire team and the players in order for them to be successful in football and in life. The “Iowa Way” that we embrace is built on hard work and teamwork.

We have heard for years about the family atmosphere at Iowa and it is very disappointing to hear that this has not necessarily been the case. Changes do need to be made, which I believe Kirk has been doing over the last few years. It sounds like this may not have been fast enough for some people. Most of what I have heard is that Kirk is a good person and I believe he wants to fix the situation. I hope he gets that chance provided nothing substantial is found with the independent review. I am not aware of anything new in yesterday’s report that calls for any changes at this time.

I agree. There have definitely been some issues in the program. I do not believe Kirk is racist or Doyle for that matter. I think Doyle was guilty of being a jerk to players as he thought it was the best motivator. It is disappointing that he felt this way and he should have known that he needed to make adjustments based on the player. Some players respond to a hammer, while others need a different motivator.

I do believe that some of the policies were more difficult for the black players to conform to than the white players. I can also see where the black players felt that they were not able to be themselves. I believe Kirk truly felt the rules he had in place were best for the entire team and the players in order for them to be successful in football and in life. The “Iowa Way” that we embrace is built on hard work and teamwork.

We have heard for years about the family atmosphere at Iowa and it is very disappointing to hear that this has not necessarily been the case. Changes do need to be made, which I believe Kirk has been doing over the last few years. It sounds like this may not have been fast enough for some people. Most of what I have heard is that Kirk is a good person and I believe he wants to fix the situation. I hope he gets that chance provided nothing substantial is found with the independent review. I am not aware of anything new in yesterday’s report that calls for any changes at this time.

Chris Doyle to Black kids “I will send you back to the ghetto”

Thats a motivational tool?

FOR CHRISTS SAKE. Im done

Chris Doyle to Black kids “I will send you back to the ghetto”

Thats a motivational tool?

FOR CHRISTS SAKE. Im done

I have heard multiple accounts of that story. The initial report said ghetto. A subsequent report said Glenville, which is the town the player was from. The WUW said it was common for Doyle to give the players (white and black) a hard time about their hometown. I do agree that Doyle should not have said ghetto, if that is what he said. Do you have conclusive proof that is what was said?

stranded hawk not only has black friends he also has hispanic/indian friends as well. More than white friends according to him. Can't make this stuff up. Just can't.

Reactions: hawkbirch
they did talk about music and earrings but those weren't the only things or even the most important ones.

What you are doing now is actually racist.

In no way, shape, or form did Daniels and Lomax de-emphasize the importance of music, earrings, etc. In fact, they brought those issues up as important.

But you (a privileged white man) have decided you won't listen to these black voices and will instead determine what is important yourself.

For you, it's not about listening to black voices. It's about virtue signaling to other white people on a message board. You're the very definition of a White Savior.

I just don't even know what to say to some of you. Kirk himself has basically said he f'ed up, the culture was not what he thought and changes were not made like they should have been. Then the same 8-10 of you blindly come on here and throw out "nothing was wrong," or "why didn't they complain in 2002? (From our resident moon man OIT) or "maybe they just didn't work hard enough." There is no end to this. Peace out boys!

stranded hawk not only has black friends he also has hispanic/indian friends as well. More than white friends according to him. Can't make this stuff up. Just can't.

You can laugh about his black friends comment all you want, but people that are exposed to people different than themselves absolutely have a head start on these issues. Jordan Lomax said as much himself.....said some of his black teammates struggled because they, unlike himself, hadn't really been exposed to white people before.

Reactions: Stranded Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT