ADVERTISEMENT

The 250 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

Long list but I decided to scroll through it. I fully expected that I wouldn't recognize too many names until I got to the last 50 or so, but I know several in the last 50 - and they aren't bad - so I'm interested to see what comes next.

I mean, the "worst" guy on the list is Andy Summers from The Police. Not a low bar.

Do metal guitarists not count? Mark is #5 on this, but nowhere to be found in the overall RS 250?

Do metal guitarists not count? Mark is #5 on this, but nowhere to be found in the overall RS 250?

Knofler and Clapton seem to be a bit low. I don't recall anyone else being called "God" for the entirety of their prime.

Good list. Christone Ingram will end up top 10 of all time before all is said and done … he is in his mid 20s. Worth seeing if you get the chance.

How is Stanley Jordan not considered to be in the top 250?

There is absolutely no way Kim Deal or Willie Nelson is a better guitar player than Jordan.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
From a fan of more alternative music. I love the work of all below, but I think some are there more for their writing or style than playing:

Too Low:
Steve Jones
John McGeoch (way too low)
D Boon (also way too low)
Adrian Belew
Doug Gillard
Courtney Barnett
Jack White (Not egregious, but top 25 for me)

…All but the more recent Barnett have been on their top 100 lists before.

Too High:
Johnny Ramone
Lou Reed
Joan Jett
Thurston Moore

Just Right:
Poison Ivy (deservedly top 100)
Kurt Cobain (see above)
Carrie Brownstein (same)
Vernon Reid (deservedly top 50)
PJ Harvey (see above)
Johnny Thunders
Ron Asheton
Liz Phair
Greg Ginn
Viv Albertine

Unjustly Snubbed:
Keith Levene
Allan Holdsworth
Pat Smear
Captain Sensible (AKA Ray Burns)

Last edited:
I had either forgotten or never realized that Randy Rhoads and Duane Allman had died so young, 25 and 22 respectively.

I suppose when you first listen to their music decades later, consider the number of hits and how well they are still regarded you just assume that it's a result of careers that were long.

I get that RS has a certain obligation to its genre, broadly defined.

But to not have Delucia or Dimeoloa on it, or more importantly, Django Reinhart at 70?

Willie Nelson (#77) & Joan Jett (#76) ranked ahead of Wes Montgomery (#82) - slight problem in that Wes is regarded by most as the GOAT jazz guitarist and Willie and Joan are not really top 500 material.
LOVE Montgomery's rendition of Caravan.

• Love
Reactions: pablow
A bit politically correct for my taste
Agreed. I’m having a hard time with half the people placed above Robbie Robertson on that list. But I’m also sure the people composing that list know way more about it than me.

Also didn’t see Roger McGuinn anywhere near where he should have been if at all. He’s the reason for the “LA Sound” right?

Also without looking back was Tommy Tedesco from the Wrecking Crew on there? I’m guessing session players are way underrepresented on that list.

Agreed. I’m having a hard time with half the people placed above Robbie Robertson on that list. But I’m also sure the people composing that list know way more about it than me.

Also didn’t see Roger McGuinn anywhere near where he should have been if at all. He’s the reason for the “LA Sound” right?

Also without looking back was Tommy Tedesco from the Wrecking Crew on there? I’m guessing session players are way underrepresented on that list.
St Vincent ahead of George Harrison.

Ok

I had either forgotten or never realized that Randy Rhoads and Duane Allman had died so young, 25 and 22 respectively.

I suppose when you first listen to their music decades later, consider the number of hits and how well they are still regarded you just assume that it's a result of careers that were long.

While your thought is still accurate, Skydog was a few weeks shy of his 25th birthday when he died

I would have included Joe Bonamassa, Alex Skolnik, Al Pitrelli, and even Joel Hoekstra. Most of them are much better guitarists then some on this list.

Reactions: h-hawk
Scanned the list quickly but noticed it was missing a lot of my favorite bluegrass guitarists.

In my opinion, Tony Rice, Bryan Sutton, Doc Watson, and Billy Strings are better guitar players than a lot of people on this list.

Rory Gallagher way to low on list
Allan Holdsworth not on list, insanity.

Joan Jett because of rhythm guitar chops but not Steve Miller for the same?

Disappointing list. Seems like a few aren't on there for their talent, but moreso for their social achievement.

Reactions: Scott559
I didn't look at the whole list but I looked at the top 50.

1. There aren't 19 guitarists better than SRV. There aren't 10.
2. They clearly aren't going off technical skill if Steve Vai and Joe Satriani aren't top 5.

I don't know a lot about music but I'm familiar with some guys that are good at guitaring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT