ADVERTISEMENT

The Acolyte

BigAssTurkeyLeg

HB MVP
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2021
How do you other SW fans feel about this show? I’m optimistic as I’ve thought the TV shows have generally been pretty good.

True fact no one wants to admit: Star Wars jumped the shark after Empire Strikes Back and everything in the franchise since then has been derivative and lame.

So What Matter Of Fact GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I have not been excited about this series, most of the SW shows have been disappointing with the exception of Andor and The Mandalorian. From what I have seen the review have been decent.

True fact no one wants to admit: Star Wars jumped the shark after Empire Strikes Back and everything in the franchise since then has been derivative and lame.

I think Rouge One was maybe the best Star Wars after the original and empire strikes back.

I never saw the three prequels and the first reboot with Ren was pretty good but I found the follow-ups to be too boring and written for the geeks

Last edited:
For me personally, nothing has ever recaptured the awe and surprise of the original trilogy, but Rogue One was close and although I haven't seen all 7 seasons, the Clone Wars animated series is a solid spin-off that backfills much of the lore surrounding Anakin's descent to Darth Vader.

I forced myself to watch the 1978 Star Wars Christmas special not long ago, it's terrible, just laughably bad.

For me personally, nothing has ever recaptured the awe and surprise of the original trilogy, but Rogue One was close and although I haven't seen all 7 seasons, the Clone Wars animated series is a solid spin-off that backfills much of the lore surrounding Anakin's descent to Darth Vader.
The final season of that series is great; especially the last 4 episodes that show what was going on with Ahsoka while Anakin was bending the knee to Palps.
I forced myself to watch the 1978 Star Wars Christmas special not long ago, it's terrible, just laughably bad.

200w.gif

The books were excellent and honestly should have been canon.

Reactions: ZachJump
I know SW has a lot of fanboys and hype. That said, outside of Last Hope, Empire, Rogue One and Force Awakens... the rest of the movies are average to poor. Mandalorian is entertaining in a matinee sort of way... it's not great, but entertaining enough. Andor was great... but Asoka was average at best. idk... seems like lots of hype and little reward.

Reactions: torbee
I dont get the love for Andor. It was boring to me and I love star wars. I like Mando, Ahsoka and even the Kenobi series (even with the cheesy chase scenes) much more than Andor. I even watched it all again to try and see what I was missing and I was bored again.

Once they had stuffed teddy bears with spears take down a technological foe capable of death stars and hyperspace travel, the level of schlock and idiocy never decreased.
After Empire, the franchise was set up with so much potential. But two things killed it - (1) Lucas started making decisions based on what would sell the most toys, and (2) he decided he only wanted to do one more movie and thus wrapped the open plot lines in silly ways (i.e. Leia being Luke's sister). While I disagree that everything since then has been trash (Rogue One, Andor, and the first two seasons of The Mandalorian were very good), I do think that some of his decisions post Empire handcuffed the franchise permanently, and then he only compounded it in the prequels. Disney has also made some poor choices that have also handcuffed the story telling potential.

That is why I was excited about this new show. I thought that getting out of the Skywalker timeline would give the writers freedom that doesn't exist for those trying to write in the Skywalker timeline. However, after the first two episodes, I would say that its just kind of more of the same.

I dont get the love for Andor. It was boring to me and I love star wars.
Andor def falls into the love it or hate it category. Yes, it's slow and I kept asking myself, why do I like this so much. It's very slow.

This should help explain why I still think it's great:

All the things wrong with the prequels is fixed in Andor--VERY well written, cast and performed.

It sure beats this corny garbage.

• Love
Reactions: Mister_Man
I dont get the love for Andor. It was boring to me and I love star wars. I like Mando, Ahsoka and even the Kenobi series (even with the cheesy chase scenes) much more than Andor. I even watched it all again to try and see what I was missing and I was bored again.
I found Andor quite boring as well. A lot of tension that just sort of died off.

Andor def falls into the love it or hate it category. Yes, it's slow and I kept asking myself, why do I like this so much. It's very slow.

This should help explain why I still think it's great:

All the things wrong with the prequels is fixed in Andor--VERY well written, cast and performed.

It sure beats this corny garbage.

Agreed. The characters development, tension, writing are all so well done. The show does what good writers do and show you rather than tell you. The empire is actually menacing in Andor. Not just in a big guns kind of way but in an insidious, authoritative, authoritarian presence. The characters aren't just one note they have to make awful choices. So many good characters Luthen, Keno, Syril, Dedra. There are appealing aspects to the bad characters and significant flaws to the good ones. Even the characters brought in from previous series like Mon and Sal are so much more developed in this series.

• Love
Reactions: alaskanseminole
I'm stealing this from a review, but this quote from George R.R. Martin is so perfect here.

"Everywhere you look, there are more screenwriters and producers eager to take great stories and “make them their own.” It does not seem to matter whether the source material was written by Stan Lee, Charles Dickens, Ian Fleming, Roald Dahl, Ursula K. Le Guin, J.R.R. Tolkien, Mark Twain, Raymond Chandler, Jane Austen, or… well, anyone. No matter how major a writer it is, no matter how great the book, there always seems to be someone on hand who thinks he can do better, eager to take the story and “improve” on it. “The book is the book, the film is the film,” they will tell you, as if they were saying something profound. Then they make the story their own.

They never make it better, though. Nine hundred ninety-nine times out of a thousand, they make it worse."

Enjoying it thus far.

Was impressed how much the kid versions of Mae and Osha look like the adult actress that play those characters.
I was sort of curious because it felt like Sol had too great of attachment to Osha for a Jedi who are suppose to forsake emotional attachments.

Once they had stuffed teddy bears with spears take down a technological foe capable of death stars and hyperspace travel, the level of schlock and idiocy never decreased.
Those brave Ewoks DIED to save your ass from the Galactic Empire. Show some respect.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
I feel like I'm surrounded by assholes reading these comments. Any idiot could tell you that the last good Star Wars movie featured Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman and John Candy.

Untitled2017522942705.jpg

• Love
Reactions: cfbfan23 and torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT