ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic has an article featuring Linderbaum

H I McDonnough

HB Heisman
Aug 28, 2002

This is an article by Andy Staples. Pay site, well worth it, as many have said. But the focus is on linemen being considered for the Heisman. Lots of stuff/breakdowns about Linderbaum and how special he is.

Here are some quotes I think are worth sharing.

Among those who block or who have blocked, watching Iowa’s Linderbaum play is like watching Cam Newton play quarterback at Auburn in 2010. Linderbaum does things we rarely see a person at his position do.

If only former offensive linemen voted for the Heisman Trophy, Linderbaum would win the 2021 award in a landslide.

A defensive coach whose team faced Iowa this season came away dumbfounded. “If there’s a better O-lineman in the country, I’d like to see his tape,” the coach says. “He’s not just the best I’ve seen this year. He’s the best I’ve seen in years.”

Linderbaum allows Iowa to build its run game around him, which is a blessing and a curse. His ability to reach block defensive tackles who line up in a three-technique (outside eye of the guard) allows the guard to help the tackle reach the end or frees up the guard to smash a linebacker. Iowa can stretch plays wider because Linderbaum’s speed makes the play side longer. This spreads out the defense more and gives the Hawkeyes’ backs more room to run. The problem, according to the coach who faced the Hawkeyes this year, is that Iowa’s backs tend to stretch plays too wide. Linderbaum and his linemates can open holes between the tackles, but Iowa runs outside more — which gives defenses time to catch up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News