ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic Mock Draft—VanNess goes 17

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016

17. Los Angeles Chargers: Lukas Van Ness, DL, Iowa*​

At 6-5 and 275 pounds, Lukas Van Ness can provide a pass rush from multiple spots on the defensive line. With his power and twitch, he rushes like a grizzly bear, using his body quickness and fierce hands to tear through blockers. His profile would give the Chargers flexibility up front. Van Ness’ best football is in front of him.

Yeah. He's gone. Sometimes attrition is the price of success on the defensive side. Not bad for the 52nd ranked defensive end coming out of high school.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
That would be one pretty damn impressive stat for Iowa to produce 4, 1st round picks in the last 5 years.

It's all going to come down to his evaluations he gets from the NFL. Mocks do have him all over the place from a late 2nd rounder to a 1st rounder.

No one should pass up the opportunity to be an NFL First Round Draft pick. That said, he should wait for the official NFL input, and make sure that he really will get picked in the 1st Round.

If it can go either way (1st, or 2nd Round), come back for a year; otherwise, grab the golden parachute.

Reactions: pink shizzle
It's all going to come down to his evaluations he gets from the NFL. Mocks do have him all over the place from a late 2nd rounder to a 1st rounder.

Mock drafts are interesting to get other opinions. Personally, I don't think Van Ness had enough on field production to be a 1st rounder...but if he has the measureables the NFL is looking for, I guess he could be a 1st rounder.

The one thing I've learned over the years is some of the NFL criteria is solid. I remember thinking Robert Gallery was going to be the greatest Offensive Tackle of all tme in the NFL but some of the scouts were questioning him for his short arms....Gallery turned out to be a bust vs his draft position. Josh Jackson the knock on him was top end speed, and he surprised me as as a bust even as a 2nd round pick.

I was big fan of George Kittle and thought the 49'ers got a steal, so I got that one correct. KF got that one wrong--under utilized him at Iowa.

Mock drafts are interesting to get other opinions. Personally, I don't think Van Ness had enough on field production to be a 1st rounder...but if he has the measureables the NFL is looking for, I guess he could be a 1st rounder.

The one thing I've learned over the years is some of the NFL criteria is solid. I remember thinking Robert Gallery was going to be the greatest Offensive Tackle of all tme in the NFL but some of the scouts were questioning him for his short arms....Gallery turned out to be a bust vs his draft position. Josh Jackson the knock on him was top end speed, and he surprised me as as a bust even as a 2nd round pick.

I was big fan of George Kittle and thought the 49'ers got a steal, so I got that one correct. KF got that one wrong--under utilized him at Iowa.
Kittle got hurt at Rutgers in 2016, the first conference game, and didn't get healed up until late in the season. That hurt his draft stock, not being 'under-utilized'. CJB would have gotten him the ball if he was in there.

George didn't learn how to operate in 'beast mode' until the 49ers coached him up.

STILL? Kittle was hurt most of his senior year, or did you forget that? His first two years Kittle has said publicly that he didn't apply himself until KF brought him in for a sit down, and told him he was wasting his opportunity to be the next great Iowa TE. It was then that he starting putting in the work.

Unless he's a 2nd rounder, he should come back.
If he's a top 3 round pick he should go, they are guaranteed a 4 year contract. Last years top 3rd round pick got close to 5 million with over a million in signing bonus. I would not fault a kid at all for choosing that.

Reactions: bumpstock
If he's a top 3 round pick he should go, they are guaranteed a 4 year contract. Last years top 3rd round pick got close to 5 million with over a million in signing bonus. I would not fault a kid at all for choosing that.
He's a PTPer, Baby ~ Prime Time Player!

I think that was true a few years ago, but now with the NIL money thrown around, I am not so sure it makes that big of a difference. Might be better to get the NIL and work on draft positioning to make more money for those first 3 years. I get your point though.

Reactions: SLarew
I think that was true a few years ago, but now with the NIL money thrown around, I am not so sure it makes that big of a difference. Might be better to get the NIL and work on draft positioning to make more money for those first 3 years. I get your point though.
Which Iowa player is netting over 100k in NIL money. Hell Lindy received what 30k, and then donated it.

Wasn't Kittle hurt alot? I can't believe the kind of career Kittle has had. Never thought that much of him when he was a Hawk.

I’m no expert on these matters….. not like you obviously but wouldn’t a third round player’s 4 year contract be significantly less than a first rounder?

significant enough to make them money ahead to come back and move into the first round potentially?

I’d agree “guaranteed” first round is a no brainer

Guess what I’m getting at is if you sign a 4 year deal as a third rounder when you could have moved into the first round coming back that could potentially wind up costing you quite a bit over 4 years

Reactions: Hammer93
Which Iowa player is netting over 100k in NIL money. Hell Lindy received what 30k, and then donated it.
I do not know the answer to that, but I do know that a first rounder makes significantly more than a 3rd rounder for 3 or 4 years which would add up a great deal over that time. So, if he's getting some NIL money that makes his life fairly comfortable (30K would work I would think), then he should wait a year and most likely move up. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: natchrlman
I do not know the answer to that, but I do know that a first rounder makes significantly more than a 3rd rounder for 3 or 4 years which would add up a great deal over that time. So, if he's getting some NIL money that makes his life fairly comfortable (30K would work I would think), then he should wait a year and most likely move up. That's just my opinion.
and Lindy only took advantage of NIL to raise money for charity it seemed the whole NIL landscape is really still just starting to work itself out 6 figures wouldn’t be unheard of with a popular Hawkeye football player….. hell Caitlyn Clark is bringing in 6 figures in a non revenue sport albeit some of it is nationally

Money made today and invested is worth money more than money made tomorrow. There is zero guarantee that next year he would be a 1st rounder either. Desmond King is the perfect example of that.

and Lindy only took advantage of NIL to raise money for charity it seemed the whole NIL landscape is really still just starting to work itself out 6 figures wouldn’t be unheard of with a popular Hawkeye football player….. hell Caitlyn Clark is bringing in 6 figures in a non revenue sport albeit some of it is nationally
Van Ness is not going to get Nike money like Clark.

Didn’t I see where he said he wasn’t interested in the NFL yet? Or was it that he just didn’t want to talk about it?
Believe he said he was focused on next game and not thinking about NFL. Kirk will have NFL people in to give him honest evaluation if he s interested. One writer saying something at this time doesn’t mean a lot. Look how AJ fell to second round when everyone saying would be first rounder

Van Ness is not going to get Nike money like Clark
maybe not but I could see him making enough to help sway his decision UNLESS he’s getting first round grades….. edge rusher is a premium position pay wise in the NFL I’m guessing the difference between first and third is significant and the guy hasn’t even started yet in college

There is a reason i

17. Los Angeles Chargers: Lukas Van Ness, DL, Iowa*​

At 6-5 and 275 pounds, Lukas Van Ness can provide a pass rush from multiple spots on the defensive line. With his power and twitch, he rushes like a grizzly bear, using his body quickness and fierce hands to tear through blockers. His profile would give the Chargers flexibility up front. Van Ness’ best football is in front of him.

There is reason it is headlined 'mock' VN needs to put on some weight. Teams ran right through that Hawk front like it wasn't even there. Thank god for Campbell, saving wins vs SDST and the like.

There is a reason i

There is reason it is headlined 'mock' VN needs to put on some weight. Teams ran right through that Hawk front like it wasn't even there. Thank god for Campbell, saving wins vs SDST and the like.
Put on some weight?? Lololol he has the prototypical height and weight for a DE in the NFL

Seen plenty of mocks not projecting him in the first round also.

In the past, when an Iowa player is also projecting 2nd round that’s usually where they end up.

He would be better off coming back and try to cement a first round spot the following year.

Seen plenty of mocks not projecting him in the first round also.

In the past, when an Iowa player is also projecting 2nd round that’s usually where they end up.

He would be better off coming back and try to cement a first round spot the following year.
Get out of this train wreck while you can. No reason to stay around to go an ugly 7-5 or worse and another toilet bowl. Been there done that numerous times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT