ADVERTISEMENT

The Atlantic: America Is Growing Apart, Possibly for Good

I have before…not the last election because of Gaetz. Voted for a couple R’s locally. I’m a big fan of split government and have been transparent about that.
You are a big fan of split government—looking at where you voted for a split government.

I’m at the point where I don’t even care if we split. I do NOT want to live under radical christian Republican rule. Not when you’ve lived your life being free for 53 years.

How do you split though? Cities are blue even in red states, they won't want to be run by rural shit kickers. A split on a state by state basis isn't feasible when the divide is largely urban vs rural.

How do you split though? Cities are blue even in red states, they won't want to be run by rural shit kickers. A split on a state by state basis isn't feasible when the divide is largely urban vs rural.
Then we’re going to have winners and losers, and the laws being implemented in states and this horsecrap SCOTUS are making the radical Christian right, with the wealthy backing them, have chosen my side to be the loser. Democrats. Losers. Women. Losers. Gays. Losers. Freedom. Losers.

Reactions: nelly02
I’m living in “fascist” Florida and loving life…doesn’t seem very “fascist”.
Here’s a photo from 1930’s Germany. Doesn’t seem very “fascist.” The whole “authoritarianism is bad” thing is so overblown, huh bins?

nazi-holiday-resort-DR9TE5.jpg

And yet Illinois and several other blue states northern states that get snow lead the nation in net population loss. Western red states lead in population growth. Kind of highlights the skewed left views of the HORT…
I expect that trend to change in the next 30 years or so.

Interesting piece. Certainly does match up with some of the more paranoid, worried interpretations of what is going on right now. I share some of their concerns, but, not the level of confidence (that they must have) to be as worried as they are.

Here's where I disagree:

There really isn't a coherent movement binding all republicans together besides "winning". (which could still be a giant problem and our undoing)

It's still the case that most elected republican officials are not MAGA. The supreme court isn't MAGA and they're not a journey to fulfill MAGA hopes and dreams. They're moreso republican classic.

Mitch McConnell isn't MAGA. Most of the republicans testifying at the Jan 6 hearing aren't MAGA.

It's the MAGA crowd that can be openly hostile to the notion of democracy itself.

The problem is that repubs like Mitch McConnell don't do enough slow down the advances of MAGA. They don't take them seriously enough.

That's your 20s/30s Germany analog; conservative powers that be didn't take Hitler seriously and thought he was relatively harmless -- they thought they could capitalize on his popularity.

That's the trap the republicans could conceivably fall into: letting way too many MAGA sorts penetrate way too deeply into our politics at all levels.

It's not clear that MAGA even has the staying power, the level of organization to really pull off anything.

And yet Illinois and several other blue states lead the nation in net population loss. Western red states lead in population growth. Kind of highlights the skewed left views of the HORT…
well, they are going to have at least one person moving there

Remember all of the celebrities that moved to Canada when Trump was elected. People always follow through with their "threats"

Unfortunately there are bat shit crazy people from both parties extremes in all states. There is no avoiding the lunatics

Reactions: globalhawk
That's the beauty of it. Tick.Tock.

No you did. Your governor is telling parents what their kids are allowed to read in schools. Fascist Ron knows what’s best for kids in your state. But yeah, it’s both sides. Wake the hell up.
Agree, both sides are awful. Dems are currently in the process of ruining this great country. Will take years to overcome what Joe and his cast of misfit toys have done. Other countries are mocking us. The wacky left is very dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT