ADVERTISEMENT

The Atlantic: ARE IOWA’S DEMOCRATIC DAYS GONE FOR GOOD?

None of the GOP stances you mention will damage the economy, cause inflation, or bar someone from being employed because they refused to put something in their body.

They're easy to look past when they're mostly just opinions that have little to no consequence or connection to reality. Identity politics makes a nice story on MSNBC but doesn't matter to a voter who prioritizes policy over keeping up appearances. Nor do Identity politics stereotypes play out consistently in real life when you talk to real people.

Also, when it comes to voting in local elections, candidates vary from their party views, so you can't simply say 'well they have an R by their name so they're a homophobe' or 'they have a D by their name so they're in favor of killing babies after they're born.'

My state of VA was exactly the opposite, where nobody thought it would ever be red again. However, while dems continued to beat the Identity politics drum, people didn't like the direction of our education system or the treatment of parents in schools. They were tired of being locked down for Covid and didn't want vaccine and mask mandates. Dems lost on policy, after they'd won for years on Identity politics.
None of those directly, no, but if you're saying that Republican policies haven't damaged the economy, caused inflation, or barred someone from being employed, then we live in different dimensions.

And don't give me your BS about "identity politics." Today's GOP lives and dies on identity politics, scaring Karens about gays and immigrants. Jesus Effing Christ, Florida passed a "don't say gay" law. Fox News essentially runs on identity politics 24/7/365.

As for Covid, it was the right that made it political. It should have been some easy decisions based on sound scientific advice, the right made it all about their feelings.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
None of those directly, no, but if you're saying that Republican policies haven't damaged the economy, caused inflation, or barred someone from being employed, then we live in different dimensions.

And don't give me your BS about "identity politics." Today's GOP lives and dies on identity politics, scaring Karens about gays and immigrants. Jesus Effing Christ, Florida passed a "don't say gay" law. Fox News essentially runs on identity politics 24/7/365.

As for Covid, it was the right that made it political. It should have been some easy decisions based on sound scientific advice, the right made it all about their feelings.
I like the science where a guy with male DNA and a penis can swim against girls.

you can pretend the science of Covid was always cut and dry but it wasn’t and never will be. Likely some wanted masks much longer than we had them. I remember when it was about flattening the curve.

many people don’t want a dude deciding he feels like a woman and goes in girls locker room to change where their little daughters are changing clothes.

instead of addressing real works issue the left screams hater bigot.

this game is easy.

No it won't. The demographics of the state have changed. People who want high paying white collar jobs and who are mostly liberal and vote democratic leave the state or don't come here at all anymore for education. That trend shows no sign of reversal.
Best news I've heard today by far.

I like the science where a guy with male DNA and a penis can swim against girls.

you can pretend the science of Covid was always cut and dry but it wasn’t and never will be. Likely some wanted masks much longer than we had them. I remember when it was about flattening the curve.

many people don’t want a dude deciding he feels like a woman and goes in girls locker room to change where their little daughters are changing clothes.

instead of addressing real works issue the left screams hater bigot.

this game is easy.
It's not necessarily the issue, it's the personal attacks on the transgender athlete that makes a hater or bigot. I tend to agree that someone born a male shouldn't be able to compete against females. Putting a blanket law in place without considering the athlete in question, without doing any research, and without any consideration of any long term consequences is what bothers me. Just basing laws on your feelings is the new GOP.

Disagree with Democratic policies all you want, at least they're basing laws for gender and racial equity on historical data and scientific studies, not on religious beliefs and base instincts.

None of the GOP stances you mention will damage the economy, cause inflation, or bar someone from being employed because they refused to put something in their body.

They're easy to look past when they're mostly just opinions that have little to no consequence or connection to reality. Identity politics makes a nice story on MSNBC but doesn't matter to a voter who prioritizes policy over keeping up appearances. Nor do Identity politics stereotypes play out consistently in real life when you talk to real people.

Also, when it comes to voting in local elections, candidates vary from their party views, so you can't simply say 'well they have an R by their name so they're a homophobe' or 'they have a D by their name so they're in favor of killing babies after they're born.'

My state of VA was exactly the opposite, where nobody thought it would ever be red again. However, while dems continued to beat the Identity politics drum, people didn't like the direction of our education system or the treatment of parents in schools. They were tired of being locked down for Covid and didn't want vaccine and mask mandates. Dems lost on policy, after they'd won for years on Identity politics.

Only thing I take issue with in your post is that Reps are just as into identify politics. It's just different stuff. Identity is the #1 driver of politics regardless of policy.

yup went way left on moral issues . way way way left
I don't think it's surprising that left thinkers take left positions on these topics. I think what changed is that media and pop-culture in general seemed to start spending so much more time on these issues. With the most extreme positions taking center stage often enough.

Only thing I take issue with in your post is that Reps are just as into identify politics. It's just different stuff. Identity is the #1 driver of politics regardless of policy.

Depends how you want to use the word "identity." Tribal politics is about identity, in a way.

But when most people say "identity politics" they're speaking to politics that focus specifically on someone's gender, race, or similar immutable characteristic explicitly.

This explicit focus became much much more prevalent in pop-culture over the last decade. (it used to be more niche stuff)

No it won't. The demographics of the state have changed. People who want high paying white collar jobs and who are mostly liberal and vote democratic leave the state or don't come here at all anymore for education. That trend shows no sign of reversal.
The higher the income, the more right leaning.

ADVERTISEMENT