ADVERTISEMENT

The Atlantic: Get Phones Out of Schools Now

Totally agree.

My youngest finished her last two years of High School at FWB high school after going to German school her whole life.

She and I were shocked that kids were allowed to have their phones in class. My daughter was a B- student in the German Gymnasium and straight A at FWB fwiw.

Big difference in discipline as well…German teachers don’t put up with any shit…and aren’t expected to…
Friends with benefits high school? Where was this shit when I was a teen...

I keep hearing how teachers are getting boxed in by two things- 1) can’t discipline kids 2) being measured on (standardized) test results.

Do you think these are the two biggest issues? Do you think these issues are hampering the education of kids?
It’s school discipline. That’s 1-9. If we could get back to the point where verbal and physical assault of staff was zero tolerance, a lot more of us wouldn’t want to quit. It’s the constant abuse many really good people are subjected to constantly. The teaching environment is allowed to be ruined for the kids who actually want to learn. I just watched a group of junior high teachers completely on survival mode since March. Unless you’re in it and feel the disrespect they are subjected to you really can’t understand it. There just aren’t many jobs where you go to work and have to take that level of crap…because most work with adults who would get fired. Can’t fire the students and they know it.

10 is probably test scores but I don’t hear much complaining about them.

One of the best teachers I have ever known - worked with him the last 15 years - a math teacher- is applying for jobs this summer outside of teaching. “The behaviors are getting worse every year. There’s no way I can do another 16.” And we’re at a great school!!

Last edited:
Probably sounds callous, but I think the phone and social media situation is worse than the school shooting situation long term.
And it has a MUCH simpler solution such as stated by the OP article.
Suicide rates since the release of the first smart phone would say you’re probably right.

There’s two junior highs in town. One was always notoriously known as the ‘bad’ school. Keep in mind this is North Dakota so it’s all relative. Administration changed at both junior highs and in a manner of about 3 years it completely flipped because of a change in administration at not schools. Kids can do absolutely anything without consequences because the principal is a spineless pos.
We’ve lost about 3-4 good teachers the last year because of it. They’re going to work at Scheels of all places. We have an alternative high school in town plus a boys and girls ranch. I’d have a three strike policy. After that third strike you better be looking at an alternative other than public school.
Sounds great until the lawsuits start. That’s probably the biggest reason districts’ hands are tied. The shithead families sue.

• Sad
Reactions: Mayland
Totally agree.

My youngest finished her last two years of High School at FWB high school after going to German school her whole life.

She and I were shocked that kids were allowed to have their phones in class. My daughter was a B- student in the German Gymnasium and straight A at FWB fwiw.

Big difference in discipline as well…German teachers don’t put up with any shit…and aren’t expected to…
I’ve heard German foreign exchange students say the same thing. They are stunned by the behavior of American teenagers.

I’ve heard German foreign exchange students say the same thing. They are stunned by the behavior of American teenagers.
Yep. There’s a degree of respect that’s missing in the U.S.

Funny thing is my daughter wasn’t exactly the teachers favorite in Germany but she sure was at Fort Walton Beach High School. Several of her teachers went out of their way to tell us that.

Reactions: Tom Paris

Funny thing is my daughter wasn’t exactly the teachers favorite in Germany but she sure was at Fort Walton Beach High School. Several of her teachers went out of their way to tell us that.
That’s always good to hear for a parent!

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
There is very little parental compliance. I have multiple times been told by students, “My mom says I have to carry it in case she needs to get hold of me.” “Your mom knows the school has a phone number, right?”

Not to mention, nothing upsets kids more than not being able to find their phones. Instant tears. They’re addicted.

Every social media app is literally designed to addict the user.

This is like handing children bag of liquid dopamine to carry around with them like an IV and then we wonder why they lose attention, can’t remember things, get emotional when it’s taken away.

Apple, Samsung, and others should be brought before Congress and explain to us what safeguards and warning labels they intend to create when a child uses one of their products.

Every social media app is literally designed to addict the user.

This is like handing children bag of liquid dopamine to carry around with them like an IV and then we wonder why they lose attention, can’t remember things, get emotional when it’s taken away.

Apple, Samsung, and others should be brought before Congress and explain to us what safeguards and warning labels they intend to create when a child uses one of their products.
That's going to take heavy handed government involvement into the market place or accrued awareness over the issue to seep into culture at large.

I see it kind of like junk food. Doesn't have to be a problem... but is a problem for a lot of people. Better educated people and the cultures they inhabit have learned to deal with the problem of junk food decently... my guess is that they'd be the first to think better of smart phones and social media. Whether or not that would spread to the rest of the culture, I don't know. (it certainly hasn't where junk food is concerned)

Uh….how will they call 9-1-1 during the shootings though?

We can ban phones but not guns? Nice work america.

Would you say there is little parental compliance with these no phone rules? If so... what's the logic?

Would be a lot easier if parents were on the same page with the school...
There is almost zero parental compliance. Phones are banned at all times at our school. They must be turned off and left in lockers. Phones taken are turned in to the office and a parent or guardian has to come in and pick it up. I turned in, easily, two dozen phones this year. In several cases, it was the same kid which means a parent came in, picked up the phone, and gave it right back to the student. Parents think their kids neeeeed those phones.

Reactions: Colonoscopy

German teachers, on average, earn about a third more than their US counterparts, as well. Among the highest paid in the world. And treated as professionals.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Phones are the worst things I have seen happen in my 25 years teaching. They are a constant battle and schools won’t enforce district policies addressing cell phones. Parents help their kids circumvent this by buying their kids Apple Watches we have to deal with.
Just like parents are constantly battling the Marxist ideas you are putting in their children’s head.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
I would rather have the students on their phone than listening to a progressive Marxist public school teacher.

German teachers, on average, earn about a third more than their US counterparts, as well. Among the highest paid in the world. And treated as professionals.
They don’t put with much misbehavior….school administrators have their back as well.

I have first graders wearing Apple Watches to school and texting their parents throughout the day. This happens in every grade level and every class in my building. I have parents coming to pick up their sick kid but the kid never went to the nurse, the parent/kid just text back and forth. Parents have no idea how disruptive technology and social media can be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT